Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 17 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin gets up early and uses soap and cold water to wash up in the basin. Then, smelling the cooking from the kitchen, I head to the common room to break my fast.

"A plate of whatever smells so good, and a coffee."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 17 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:... smelling the cooking from the kitchen, I head to the common room to break my fast.
"A plate of whatever smells so good, and a coffee."
"Coming right up," the woman behind the counter says, and she heads into the kitchen, "That'll be 2 silvers," she yells back over her shoulder. Meanwhile, several other patrons are already enjoying their breakfasts.

Through the swinging kitchen door, Davin notices that the back door of the kitchen is open; and through it, Davin spots a skinny stray dog, begging for a meal. One of the cooks kicks at the dog, but the hound is swift, and dodges away.

"Here ya go," the woman says, carrying a mug of steaming coffee, and a large plate with fried ham, boiled eggs, waffles, hashbrowns, and buttered toast. "Two."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Swifthand wrote:I give the woman her two silvers, and an extra 2 for her trouble, watching the activity in the kitchen. I grab a large chunk of ham, and get up, walking over to the cook and dog, ignoring any protests as I enter the kitchen without permission.

"No need to kick at him - he's just hungry."

I offer the dog the chunk of ham, coaxing him over to me as I do.

"C'mere boy...thats a boy..."

Nature check=27

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Cautiously, the dog approaches Davin. Slowly. Then, it snaps at the ham, tearing a piece off as it runs back into the alley. Davin can see it hiding under some old crates, finishing up its meal. As it downs the last bite, it looks up at Davin with sad eyes.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I walk back in to my table and grab my plate, returning to the alley. Then I sit cross-legged on the cobblestone, my plate in front of me, about five feet in front of where the dog cowers and begin to eat.

"Want some more, you mangy hound?"

O.O.C. - With my Nature check, do I recognize the dog as a particular breed, or a mutt?

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Malazek wrote:The cook grumbles something about encouraging the dog to hang around, but goes about his work. Hesitantly, the dog inches back toward Davin, and grabs something from the plate; backing away again, but not quite as far this time. Soon enough, it returns, and begins to eat right from the plate in Davin's lap.

The dog is undoubtedly a mutt. Davin can only guess at its true heritage (though it seems to be some sort of bloodhound-ridgeback-pointer mix).
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I share my meal with the dog, scratching him behind the ears, and shout inside.

"Another plate!"

I will tip the waitress another 2 silver and share the second plate with the hound as well. As we eat, I look up at the plaque hanging above the kitchen's alley door.

"Hound's Tooth Inn...Hound...what do you think, Hound? Want some company? I'm a bit of a stray myself."

While Hound is distracted by the food, I get a bucket of water from the kitchen and soap, dousing him and then scrubbing him down. While I do so, I am going to check for any injuries and see how healthy he is.

"Good boy!"

Nature check=31

O.O.C. - Now that I have him clean, what color(s) is he? Longhair, short, or medium?

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:"Hound" is a medium-haired dog of reddish-brindle color, and he's a bit long in the face. He's underfed, but aside from a few battle scars, seems relatively healthy.

Hound wrote:"Hound" Level 4 Skirmisher
Medium Natural Beast
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 54; Bloodied 26
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed 8

m Bite (standard; at-will)
+9 vs. AC; 1d6+3 damage, or 2d6+3 damage against a prone target.

Combat Advantage: If "Hound" has combat advantage against the target, the target is also knocked prone on a hit.

Alignment: Unaligned; Languages: None
Str 13 (+2) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 13 (+2) Con 14 (+3) Int 4 (–2) Cha 12 (+2)
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Swifthand wrote:Sweet! I got a dog!

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Now I feel there are other options to the story as well, perhaps humans and dwarves are to be the combatants
in this battle? Maybe the dwarves were the original ones the scroll was to be kept away from? Would the dwarves have had any
way to know of me (or my family name)? Could the Eladrin have caught wind of their plan to find me, hence the need for multiple
scrolls? Now...what of our friend? Vangg, convenient of him to disappear right before we got here, eh? How/why did he
really end up at Brackwater? Perhaps Viktor was not our mole? They didn't ask for him under the name we knew him as, did they?
Just some random nonsensery from me to go along with the other, :?

Straegis studies the maps again, he is trying to find out where exactly the local garrison is stationed, the quickest way to get
there and what else is located in or near that district.
Streetwise=16
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Halcyon wrote:While waiting for Straegis to decide what to do with the scoll, Verity falls over onto his bed, finally asleep. The sound of his own rumbling stomach wakes him well before dawn. The smell of the day’s first loaves baking is a torment to his empty belly. Knowing that no one is open for business yet and not wanting to wake his companions, he moves to the window and prays silently to the moon.

When the smell of fresh bread is joined by that of roasting meat, his reverie is broken. He says to Straegis, “what to do with the scroll remains your decision to make, but in my estimation you did well to not open it. It was not intended for any of our eyes.” He accompanies Davin (and the rest of the group?) to the common room and wolfishly tears through two plates of ham and eggs and a basket of bread. Finally he looks up perplexed to see Davin gone. He shrugs it off as one of the least strange things that’s happened to him lately.

“Oy, I’m fit to burst at the seams. I certainly don’t want to move. Well, since I’m sitting here anyways, perhaps a bit more ham…miss- if you would please” He gives the waitress an admiring look as she returns with more food.

“Glorious! You bless me with this beautiful bounty. The food doesn’t look bad either.” He flashes the fit barmaid a smile.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I walk back into the Inn, Hound at my heel, and go over to the lady behind the counter.

"Stay, Hound."

"Hello. How much extra for me to keep my dog with me?"

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Straegis studies the maps again, he is trying to find out where exactly the local garrison is stationed, the quickest way to get there and what else is located in or near that district.
Streetwise=16
There are Garrisons stationed in each district, including this one; but most of the barracks are in the Three Lions District (including those for the officers). The maps also show large parade grounds on the outskirts of the city; if they're preparing for war, you have as much chance of finding them here as in the barracks.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:I walk back into the Inn, Hound at my heel, and go over to the lady behind the counter.
"Stay, Hound."
"Hmm. Two Silvers."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:
"Stay, Hound."
"Hmm. Two Silvers."

I pay the lady and rejoin Verity at our table in the common room.

"Sit, Hound."

The dog looks at me quizzically for a moment. I repeat myself a few times, and then he finally sits.

"Good boy, Hound!" I reward him with a piece of waffle I saved just for this purpose.

To the waitress, "A bowl of water for Hound, here, and", lifting my coffee mug, "could you warm this up?"

To Verity, "I've found a friend. Verity Servrinus, meet Hound. Hound, Verity Servinus."

I lean back in my chair, sipping my coffee and wait for the others to arrive, scratching Hound behind the ears and waxing my bowstring.

O.O.C. - I am going to begin training Hound when I train the horses.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax catches Straegis in the morning over a bowl of gruel, saying "Why haen't ye read tha' scroll yet? If yae dinna' know who tae deliver it tae yae should read it and find oot fer yersel'. I dinna't know wha' kind o' trouble yer in, but it canna' get any worse at this point. Dwarves, Eldarin, an' tha' dammed guard bustin' doon me' door - open tha' scroll, Straegis."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"in my estimation you did well to not open it"
Mordax wrote:"open tha' scroll, Straegis."
OOC: Haha! Oh, the dilemna!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex wakes up early and completes the last hour of the translation. Finally infusing the magic from the scroll into his ritual book and the scroll becomes a pile of ash as an orange light passes from the thick yelloish parchment to Alex's deep navy leather book. He smiles, sets the quill down on its side at the table and wanders downstairs after the rest of the group.

He orders a meal, eating just enough to sustain himself; too much food cloggs the mind he feels.

"Oh yes. That is quite a remarkable animal you've found there. My younger brother has a beast quite like that. A great white tiger named Torrin. Had him since a cub. Whats his name?" Alex gestures to 'hound'
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Swifthand wrote:"This is Hound. Hound, meet our resident Aquamancer, Alex."

Hound kind of cocks his head, looking at Alex questioningly, then, quick as lightning, licks him across the face.

"Pyrn, Cyl!" ("Down, Hound!")

"Mor!" ("Sit!")

Trying not to laugh, I stand up, imposing my will on Hound, until he sits at my feet once again.

"Well, at least he likes you, Alex!"

I turn serious, taking another sip of hot coffee. "Are Mordax and Straegis up? I think we need to come to a decision about a certain something."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Hound?! Are you serious? Give the poor creature a real name!"

He smiles as he is licked. "See! He agree's!"

As Davin mentions the other two Alex raises his eyebrows. "Yes. We should wait till they've had breakfast then go back up and discuss this."

----------------
When they go back up
---------------

"I think we should vote, and my vote goes to attempting to find the human general and take the scroll to him. But, that we be present upon its opening and attempt to see if he knows about the scroll, perhaps by pretending not to have it or something, before hand."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Swifthand wrote:I join the others in the suite, Hound following close behind.

"I agree with Alex. It would be best to know what is on the scroll, but I think the risk of destroying it or the message it contains is too great. I vote we deliver it to the leader of the Imperial Armies."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:40 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Thanks you two (Mordax and Verity) now I'm only as confused as I was before.

When everyone assembles back in the room, Straegis begins by saying "I am positive there are magics at work on the case, and quite possibly the scroll itself. The way I see it, these are our options right now:

1. Open and read it, I'm not so much concerned with injury as I am with the potential to erase or scramble the message.
2. Head for the military, they might not know who was supposed to bring the message or maybe they think I was supposed to deliver it, and I'm still on time.
3. It's a big town, I'm sure that for enough money we can find a mage in town to dispel all the effects on the scroll and/or case."

He shakes his head to himself before continuing, "The last option I feel is the least favorable but I am asking for everyones input or possibly any better ideas."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Still voting for human general, with us throwing insight, diplomacy, and perception checks up the waazoo to see what we can find out.
-Swift

DM EDIT: Up the Wazoo? That sounds painful.
P.C. Edit: Especially for the General.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Hey Witch-King - does Mordax have any old, trusted superior officers we could confer with?

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Swifthand wrote:To Verity, "I've found a friend. Verity Servrinus, meet Hound. Hound, Verity Servinus."
"Ill-bred by the look of him, but some say the best dogs are the worst bred. Indeed he'll be a stout one if he gets some meat on his bones."
Verity moves to check the dogs teeth and is met by a warning snap of powerful jaws. "Right then. Well his teeth looked good for a second there. If not, this might help." He tosses the dog his ham bone."May fortune smile upon ye, Hound".
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next