Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Straegis tips his brow with his fingers and says to the maiden, "Princess, it has been a long time indeed. 'm... umm... embarrased... to say that I didn't immediately recognize you. How fares your mother?"
"I'm pleased to see you again, Lord Straegis. My mother is doing wonderfully! Better than ever! Thank you for asking."

Straegis II wrote:Turning his attention immediately back to Draxus he continues, "Lord-General, This is Alverdine, he is, well... he is with me. Next is Davin Fletcher who, judging by his reaction, Lt. Velius already knows." Motioning toward Alex, then noticing the watery greeting, Straegis smiles and continues, "On this side, I am pleased to introduce, my most gifted ally, Sir Alex."
"Pleased to meet you all. Please sit. Help yourself to some refreshments." He motions towards a platter fulls of breads and two pitchers full of water.

"I am glad the Eladrin were able to help us with our request. I understand the information wasn't easy to obtain. For a long time now, we have been concerned about this issue; but the nature of various treaties made it difficult for us to obtain the information we needed. That is why the High-General authorized me to call upon on our allies for assistance."

Turning to toward the window, the Lord-General pauses, and smiles. "Here comes Mordax. What is he wearing? Mud? Haha. Let's wait for him, shall we ..."

Straegis II wrote:Assuming Verity and Mordax would get here about this time, "It appears Mordax needs no introduction so I shall continue ... Arriving now, is Verity Servinus who if I am not mistaken, is a relative to some that are in your service here now."

Oh, and lest I forget, Nissa, who is tending to our...charge."
Straegis looks around before continuing "I believe your Lord-Generalship, that is it." As he glances around he takes special notice of the maps and again tries to get a sense of the mood of those present.

Perception: 1d20=13+2(half-lvl)=15
History (maps): 1d20=4+13=17
Insight: 1d20=19+2(half-lvl)=21
Maps (History and Perception): there are two maps of political bounderies; one is current, the other is outdated. There are also maps of each of the city's 14 districts, and a map of the foothills that stand between the city and mountains. Hmm. The city maps imply the Empire suspects to defend the city; the politcal maps might, then, be related to the "treaties" Draxus mentioned. Given your run-in with the Dwarves, the map of the foothills seems to fit right in.

The troops seem to be noted on each map with various colored pins (more the likely, the various colors represent different units). Nothing seems unusual about the placement, aside from the increased troop density along the walls.

Mood (Insight): The mood in the room is still a mix of anxiety and relief. The Lord-General is at ease, but eager to see his friend. The Princess is happy and eager to offer the assistance of her people. Bluto Rexus is standing at the ready, in case of trouble. Aodhan Blas is annoyed, probably by the presence of strangers. The Lt. Colonel seems impossible to read.

Davin wrote:Insight check=25
The mood in the room is still a mix of anxiety and relief. The Lord-General is at ease, but eager to see his friend. The Princess is happy and eager to offer the assistance of her people. Bluto Rexus is standing at the ready, in case of trouble. Aodhan Blas is annoyed, probably by the presence of strangers. The Lt. Colonel seems impossible to read.

Davin wrote:Something else - the maps. I would like to use my knowledge of Nature (natural environs, looking to recognize anything out of the ordinary) to see if I can determine anything from the maps. What is being contested? Are troops listed? Any areas of import highlighted?
Perception check=31
Nature check=15
There are two maps of political bounderies, as well as maps of each of the city's 14 districts. With Davin's keen eye-sight and general knowledge of terrain, he focuses in on the map of the foot-hills. Somebody has drawn lines on the map to high-light ravines and other game trails that could be used to aid overland stealth.

The troops seem to be noted on each map with various colored pins (more the likely, the various colors represent different units).

Mordax wrote:Mordax stops immediately upon entering the room, eyes narrowing at the site of the elven woman. Staring aggressively for a moment, he quickly scans the room, on the balls of his feet.

As his gaze settles on Draxus, however, his face undergoes a transformation. Grinning broadly, almost boyishly, he knuckles his forehead in a gesture of respect, and then crosses the room in a couple of strides.

Offering his forearm he roars "Aye an' weel met, me'laird, an' sad it is it's no' o'er a tankard or two! An yer' lookin' weel fer' an auld gaffer!"

Turning somber once more, he continues "I've brought ye' a thing or two, me'thinks, an still I've nae clue as tae wha's goin' on, save tha' I dinnae recall a muster this large since Ritland as a wee greenhorn, an' mayhap no' e'en then. 'Tis a pickle, me'thinks, tae bring yuir ol' bones oot agin'."

Seemingly startled by the outburst of emotion, he steps back with his companions, eyeing the brute and the Tiefling, but obviously avoiding the maiden's gaze. After a moment he stands next to Alex, his near-nakedness in stark contrast to the mist mage's raiment.
"Indeed! Indeed! It is GREAT to see you old friend. What manner of mud are you wearing, Mordax ol' boy? I haven't see you in this sort of garb since ... well, nevermind that. It's good to see ya!"

"You know, after you threw away your old armor, some of the boys gathered it up and saved it for ya. I have it in a box downstairs, if you want it. ... Not that mud-brown doesn't become ya."

"And good to meet you, too, Master Sevinus. It's good to meet all of you!! Shall we get to it? Do you have the scroll?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:"Indeed! Indeed! It is GREAT to see you old friend. What manner of mud are you wearing, Mordax ol' boy? I haven't see you in this sort of garb since ... well, nevermind that. It's good to see ya!"

"You know, after you threw away your old armor, some of the boys gathered it up and saved it for ya. I have it in a box downstairs, if you want it. ... Not that mud-brown doesn't become ya."

Taking on a somber tone none have seen thus far from the dour fisherman, Mordax says "Mae lord, none 'ave seen thus far tae convince me o' that necessity. I am 'ere tae tell ye', if n' now is tha' time, than' I'm ready fer it. I didn'ae think sae, but if yer' involved, tell me whar' tae strike an' tak' on ah' god fer' ya'."

At the General's insistence that armor is available, the fisherman weeps, though in controlled sobs that coincide with the conversation.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:There are two maps of political boundaries, as well as maps of each of the city's 14 districts. With Davin's keen eye-sight and general knowledge of terrain, he focuses in on the map of the foot-hills. Somebody has drawn lines on the map to high-light ravines and other game trails that could be used to aid overland stealth.

The troops seem to be noted on each map with various colored pins (more the likely, the various colors represent different units).

Now that I see the increased troops on the walls, as well as Stealth paths OUT of the city, am I thinking they are preparing for a siege? Something else? What could I roll to determine this? I'll roll a 20 side; if I have a skill that applies, will you apply it?

What a time for a NATCH!
Skill check = 22+attribute or skill

O.O..C - Lol - there he goes weeping again! =P

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:"Mae lord, none 'ave seen thus far tae convince me o' that necessity. I am 'ere tae tell ye', if n' now is tha' time, than' I'm ready fer it. I didn'ae think sae, but if yer' involved, tell me whar' tae strike an' tak' on ah' god fer' ya'."
"Well, we won't know 'til we open that scroll."

Davin wrote:Now that I see the increased troops on the walls, as well as Stealth paths OUT of the city, am I thinking they are preparing for a siege? Something else?
NATCH!
Davin can't be sure, but extra troops along the wall seem like an appropriate precaution against a siege or invasion. Paths out of the city seem like a good way to escape a siege, but the city is so large it's hard to imagine a force that COULD siege it; especially with so many rivers running through it. Besides, the hills depicted on the map extend for many miles, much further than a refugee population would need to travel.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Inspecting the maps, Davin muses aloud.

"Extra troops on the walls...secret paths out of the city...I'm no expert, but it looks like you are expecting a siege, though that seems unlikely, given the number of troops needed to lay siege to a city this size."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:He is *the* Pyromancer...My insticts were correct!

--------------
OOC: I love that we all wanna 'tap that bootae' of that poor elven maiden.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Inspecting the maps, Davin muses aloud.
"Extra troops on the walls...secret paths out of the city...I'm no expert, but it looks like you are expecting a siege, though that seems unlikely, given the number of troops needed to lay siege to a city this size."
"That is a keen observation, Mr. Flecther. We are indeed preparing for all possibilties."

"A siege against the Imperial City is difficult to imagine; the invading amy would not only have to siege our massive perimeter, but they would also need blockade our many rivers. Even then, we could live off those rivers indefinitely, unless they were to polute or poison them somehow."

"But we are prepared; not only for a siege, but also for an assault from any direction. New recruits are being trained, just in case we need to defend the out-lying villages. Plans have also been drawn to launch an effective counter attack through the hills, and to mark the minimal amount of land retribution should various treaties be broken."

"But hopefully the information in this scroll will tell us that this was all unnecessary."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Swifthand wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: I love that we all wanna 'tap that bootae' of that poor elven maiden.

O.O.C. - LOL - She doesn't want any part of the human or the high and mighty Eladrin! She's into 100% pure Elf!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Before rendering the scrollcase Straegis asks, "What of the dwarves and their involvement in all of this?" He pauses as long as necessary to wait for his answer. Before continuing Straegis briefly looks at Alverdine, then says "Lord-General, it seems that many so-called allegiances are being tested now." As Straegis digs thru his pack for the scroll he says, "Perhaps we will all require a new definition of Ally before this is over." Straegis pays careful attention to those in the room as he removes the scrollcase from his pack, trying hard to gauge their reactions to seeing it for the first time.

O.O.C.: Hey Mal, can I 'take 10' +mods for some percep. and insight rolls as I pull the scrollcase?"
DM EDIT: Yup. I'll just use everybody's Passive Totals for this.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Before rendering the scrollcase Straegis asks, "What of the dwarves and their involvement in all of this?" He pauses as long as necessary to wait for his answer.
"That is a good question; which is exactly WHY we asked your father to find that information for us."

"Certianly, it seems as if their numbers here have been increasing lately. But whether these new Dwarves are here for military reasons or economic reasons is hard to say; especially since so many Dwarves are skilled at both."

Passive Perception/Insight: The Lord-General seemed surpised at first by your question; but his answer seems genuine.

Straegis II wrote:Before continuing Straegis briefly looks at Alverdine, then says "Lord-General, it seems that many so-called allegiances are being tested now." As Straegis digs thru his pack for the scroll he says, "Perhaps we will all require a new definition of Ally before this is over."
"Indeed."

"I honestly hope the Bearded Confederacy is innocent of any duplicity or wrong doing. Certianly, they have been staunch allies of both our peoples. But we cannot wager the lives of innocents against the hope of trust; protecting our people is our top priority."

Passive Perception/Insight: Again. Surprised, but genuine.

Straegis II wrote:Straegis pays careful attention to those in the room as he removes the scrollcase from his pack, trying hard to gauge their reactions to seeing it for the first time.
The entire room is watching with anticipation.

Passive Perception/Insight <14 (Straegis & Alex): You see no indication of deceit or ill-will. Everybody seems on the up-and-up, and indeed rather polite.

Passive Perception/Insight 13+2 (Mordax): You see no indication of deceit or ill-will. Everybody seems on the up-and-up, and indeed rather polite. Your friend, the Lord-General is weighing his words, as if he doesn't want to speculate before he knows what the scroll says; he also starting to feel impatient, but as usual, is trying not to show it.

Passive Perception/Insight 15+ (Davin & Verity): Princess Rhyannon seems patient, and rather content to listen to the preliminary discussion. Aodhan Blas seems irritated that this is taking so long. Bluto Rexus seems oblivious to the discussion (of course, it's hard to tell, because he's wearing a plate helmet). The Lord-General seems to be weighing his words, as if he doesn't want to speculate before he knows what the scroll says; he also starting to feel impatient, but is doing a fine job of not showing it. The Lt. Colonel is impossible to read.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis bows politely and hands the scroll over as he says, "Your Lord-Generalship, I trust you will find everything as promised here." Straegis feels a strange mix of remorse and relief as the scrollcase leaves his hand, the journey was trying but he rather enjoyed being in possesion of something so important.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Time for Xps ...

MAJOR QUEST (400 XPs Each): Deliver the real scroll to Imperial High Command before the fake scroll got there.

MINOR QUEST (80 XPs Each): Find out that the reason the Imperial Army is increasing it's number is because it's worried about a war with the Dwarves.

MINOR QUEST (80 XPs Each): Find out that Rogue Maor are the traitors that Straegis I was trying to keep the scroll away from; and figuring out which squads were guilty (the White Wind and the Black Squall).

SKILL CHALLENGE (350 XPs Each): For all the Insight, Perception, and History rolls made in this room.

That's 910 Each, bringing everyone to 6638
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Malazek wrote:The Lord-General pulls a small candle from his pocket, "Well, here goes. Let's see if it works.". He lights the candle and stands it on the table. He holds the scroll case over the candle so that the flame touches the special wax; within seconds, the seal evaporates, filling the room with a thick purple fog.

Next, he slides the scroll out of the case and unrolls it. Then, he pulls an exotic quill from his pocket; a quill that seems to have been made with the feather of a Coatl. He begins to scribble on the page. As he does, the purple fog coalesces on the page, forming words.

"Remarkable," he says.

After a few minutes the fog is gone and the writing on the scroll is complete. The Lord-General takes another moment to read it over, and then says "It is as we feared. But worse. Here, listen to this ....

The Secret Scroll wrote:Dear Lord-General,

The High-General was right to be concerned. The Dwarves are indeed preparing for war. Their workshops have been busy day and night, producing deadly weapons, unbreakable armors, and terrible war-machines. The Dwarven armies are equiped like the Iron Legions of Yore. But there's more.

It seems they have allies.

The tribes of the Great Peninsula have joined with the Dwarves, and indeed thousands upon thousands of the Eastern warriors are encamped in the mountains, ready to climb down and wage war against your city.

The Dwarves have also sent emissaries to the Ritland and to the Island States, seeking support from your subjects. We have not yet discovered how these emissaries faired.

Lastly, the Dwarves have entered a truce with King Lug of the Fomorians, informing him of their plans; so, the Eladrin army will be unable to infiltrate the Fomorian Halls, to gain access to the Dwarven Halls on the other side of the curtain.

Though we will still send troops to aid you, we will not be able to send as many as expected. With the Fomorians watching our troop movements, leaving our own cities undefended would be foolish.

Sincerely,
Lord-Marshal Straegis I
"We must inform the High-General!"

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Chapter Two is Complete. The Story Resumes HERE.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O..C - Lol - there he goes weeping again! =P

-Swift

Hehe, dude has issues. It's a manly weep, mind.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 23 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23