Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Malazek wrote:Chapter Three is complete. The Story Resumes Here.

The party emerges from the portal into the tiny settlement of Jaru. Once a bustling city, Jaru is now little more than an outpost; barely large enough to be called a hamlet, even Brackwater is larger.

Stone ruins dot the landscape. Some have been utilized as impromptu shelters or makeshift stalls. Others have been built upon, forming the foundations for new buildings.

The ancient Spire of Light no longer stands in full glory, but rather at half its original height. Despite this fact, is no less impressive. ... an no less useful. The current residents have built a new signal pyre atop it's lowered apex; so the spire still sends its beams-of-warning to ships in the night.

One such ship can be seen on the open sea, just beyond the beach at the far end of the settlement.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin scans the settlement with keen elven vision.

"It looks as if Jaru is Dwarf-free for the moment."

The ranger looks back through the wagon's front flap at Alex.

"To the Spire?"

-Swift
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Magicspellz wrote:"I presume so. I have no idea where Katrina is; she may not be here yet. She might even be on that ship" He turns and points at it, his hair picked up by the lazy winds. He seems a little disappointed she isn't right here, standing by the sigil circle.

"The spire is the first place I would visit anyway, so lets go there."

--------------
OOC: I can't find my Nexus map anywhere?! I looked for ages too. I probably skipped the 1 page it was on. Could you put a copy in 'world art' or 'people, places and things' if its not too much trouble?

And 'wagons front flap' ? Whats that? I thought it was just a sort of huge opentopped cart. Are we riding in one of these: http://www.oregonpioneers.com/graphics/wagon3.jpg[b]
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:
And 'wagons front flap' ? Whats that? I thought it was just a sort of huge opentopped cart. Are we riding in one of these: http://www.oregonpioneers.com/graphics/wagon3.jpg
Mal wrote:Shocked OOC: It WAS open-topped, until you guys paid the wainwright in Brackwater to put a canvas cover on it. So, yeah, it's kinda looks like the pic you linked (perhaps a bit more boxy, and less round).
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Swifthand wrote:I drive the wagon to the Spire, looking out for any merchants along the way that might be able to buy some of the items we are trying to unload.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Malazek wrote:
OOC: It WAS open-topped, until you guys paid the wainwright in Brackwater to put a canvas cover on it. So, yeah, it's kinda looks like the pic you linked (perhaps a bit more boxy, and less round).

Halcyon wrote:OOC: Also, it's black with a red stripe.

"Fair weather and a friendly village; things are looking up. A short respite shall restore us for the trials we are sure to face at the Temple.
Verity turns to face the occupants of the wagon. The movement squishes water out around the joints of his mail. "Alex, would it be possible for you to dry my armour? It's still rather damp."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Halcyon wrote:
OOC: Also, it's black with a red stripe.

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - I pity the foo' who messes wit my wagon!

For a complete description of the wagon and its contents, look at the bottom of my character sheet.

-Swift
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:29 pm

Macksgarage wrote:O.O.C.: Hahahaha, and dont forget the giant fin on the back and sliding door on one side! Oh and slightly higher in the back than the front.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 pm

Magicspellz wrote:"Of course." Alex casually raises a hand, and Verity feels a gust of warm air as steam rises from his damp armour.

--------
Prest.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Malazek

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Davin wrote:
I drive the wagon to the Spire, looking out for any merchants along the way that might be able to buy some of the items we are trying to unload.
Alex wrote:
"I presume so ... The spire is the first place I would visit anyway, so lets go there."
As you roll through the sand toward the spire, a few of Jaru's residents give you a curious glance. It doesn't take Alex long to realize some of these people are Imilites.

And of course, Davin immediately spots some local merchants, just up the road (or what passes as a road around here). Constructed of new wood and old stone, these tiny shops have made use of the surrounding ruins. Special deals, piled into baskets or hung on ropes, sit out front; protected from the sun by tent-like canopies.

Four elderly couples are seated in wooden chairs amongst the wares, sipping from wooden cups and enjoying the sun.

And you're already half-way to the spire!
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Swifthand

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin immediately spots some local merchants, just up the road (or what passes as a road around here). Constructed of new wood and old stone, these tiny shops have made use of the surrounding ruins. Special deals, piled into baskets or hung on ropes, sit out front; protected from the sun by tent-like canopies.

"Verity - let's see if we can sell our extra gear here."

"Whoa Hannibell! There's a girl!"

I pull the wagon off to the side of the road, so as not to block the nonexistent traffic, and then tie off the reins to the teamster's bench. I then climb in the back and gather our wares.

"Alright, everyone. One last look - does anyone want any of these things before we try and sell them?"

* Restful Bedroll
Power (Daily): Standard Action. Use this power when you complete an extended rest in the restful bedroll. Gain 1d8 temporary hit points that last until you take another rest (short or extended).
* Adamantine Axe
This glossy black weapon pierces the toughest shells.
Lvl 8 (3,400 gp)
Weapon: Battle Axe
Enhancement: +2 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +2d10 damage
Property: Untyped damage done with this weapon ignores 4 points of resistance.
* +1 Lightning Bow
This weapon crackles with dancing lightning.
Lvl 5 +1 1,000 gp
Weapon: Bow
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 lightning damage per plus
Power (At-Will ✦ Lightning, "Fulgoris"): Free Action. All damage dealt by this weapon is lightning damage. Another free action returns the damage to normal.
Power (Daily ✦ Arc Lightning, "Fulmineum"): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target and each enemy within 2 squares of the target take 1d6 lightning damage.

Speaking to the group, I say, "Actually, the gems may come in handy as currency in the tunnels beneath the earth. Maybe we should keep them as is."

Then I turn to Straegis and Alex. "And I thought you two wanted this language gem? I found it underneath the bench when I was loading the wagon."

"If we plan to rest here for a few days, and are going to magic up Mordax a new trident, maybe we should sell the hammer as well?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty The Witch King

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:42 pm

"We should keep tha' polyglot" says Mordax, "ye can ne'er be sure when ye'll need tae speak tae a god, after all. Though aye, tae be sure, I miss me trusty trident."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:42 pm

"I'd appreciate a few days down time. Straegis and I can work on the rituals we currently know, I'll need that time to create a new Trident for Mordax. Ask them if they have any alchemical formula, I'd be quite interested in persuing that art. We may find some creations that could be valuable in the tunnels. For now, I'm going to go and greet those from my home town!"

Alex jumps off the back of the wagon and brushes his clothes off (of imaginary dust) and walks as calmly as he can to those he recognises.

"Good Day! It is a thrill to see you. Tell me, has Katrina returned yet?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm

"I've nae desire fer' doontime. This hammer'll serve 'till I can find a trident o' me own. In fact, I bet they've a trident oor two here, along wi' a net an' bait. Speed is oor only friend now."

The fisherman looks longingly at the coast, tasting the tang in the air.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Macksgarage

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Straegis is quick to respond to Davin "I want the polygot, I didn't realize we still had it. I have no desire to get rid of that." At that, he quickly stashes it in his pack, he then says "Alex, why don't you keep the bedroll, the extra health every day would benefit you more than the money would help any of us."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
"I've nae desire fer' doontime.

O.O.C. - Hehehe - spoken like a true DM (no downtime for joo!)! This may be our last chance at civilization before what could be a long trek in the underdark to finally get to the stronghold of our enemies. If Straegis or Alex will learn Transfer Enchantment, then Mordax can have a magic trident, I can have a lightning greatbow, and, more importantly, Straegis can move the Cargoule enchantment to a suit of chainmail (as opposed to cloth!). I believe the short delay it would take to learn a few critical rituals would be well worth it, but, then again, I'm not the ritual caster.

Also, this could all get done in basically one post. I know I would wait patiently until the work was done.

If we were going to move an enchantment to a trident, Mordax, which would you prefer (and which of these options are legal, Mal)?

* Ator’s Bow
Mounted raiders known as the “the Scourge of the Malbog” once roamed these parts, preying on farmers and fishermen. This bow may have once belonged to their leader, Ator of the Hunt; but more likely it belonged to one of his sub-commanders.
Lvl 5 +1 (1,000 gp)
Weapon: Greatbow
Enhancement: +1 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 poison damage
Power (Daily ✦ Poison, "Veneficium"): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes an ongoing 5 poison damage and is weakened (save ends both).
* Adamantine Axe
This glossy black weapon pierces the toughest shells.
Lvl 8 (3,400 gp)
Weapon: Battle Axe
Critical: +2d10 damage
Property: Untyped damage done with this weapon ignores 4 points of resistance.
* Gravity Hammer
This hammer rumbles with seismic power.
Lvl 11 (9,000 gp)
Weapon: Warhammer
Enhancement: +3 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: None
Power (Daily): Standard Action. Make a melee basic attack with this weapon against all enemies within a close blast 3.

I do not think that the Gravity Hammer's enchant is legal for a trident, and I know the lightning enchant isn't.

At any rate, we do need to decide what we are going to do now, so we know what to sell.

macksgarageusa wrote:
Straegis is quick to respond to Davin "I want the polygot...

Done...The Polygot Gem has been removed from the "sell list".
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty TWK

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:45 pm

OOC: Sure, np. Mordax is rearing to go, and I have to convey that. You'll notice I'll occasionally do things counter to the party's goals, and each time I wait to be reigned in, which you guys have done admirably. If I was with a buncha' newbs I'd post differently, but with this group I'll just roleplay the driven old dude.

As for a trident, the only thing remotely cool I see is thunderburst, pg 236.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:45 pm

O.O.C. - Right! So, if what I just read was correct, Straegis or Alex can make a +1 Thunderburst trident for 840gp worth of reagents (can't make a +2 until level 9).

If that is the plan, we can sell/trade the Gravity Hammer, the Bow of Ator, the Adamantine Axe and the Restful Bedroll. Then we can move the Lightning enchant to a Greatbow for me, and the Cargoule to Chainmail for Straegis.

However, bear in mind that we lose A LOT of the value of a magic item by selling/disenchanting it. That was why I was trying to move enchantments to the most useful spot. For instance, if we see or disenchant the Gravity Hammer, we only get 1,800gp of cash or residium for a 9,000gp item.

Though, if no one is going to use the item, the point is moot.

Before we ditch the Hammer or Axe, would Straegis want one of those weapons instead of his +1 Longsword of Terror? Would Mordax rather keep the Gravity Hammer instead of us making a +1 Thunderburst Trident?

Sorry to belabor this issue, but I want to make sure everyone is happy and we get this figured out quickly with the best possible outcome. It's my nature. Cool

-Swift
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Mal, what were the rituals Straegis was given? I have all the rituals in the Etyolic Myths book (as in, i know which ones are available) but I can't see them on Straegis's character sheet.

DM EDIT: Link

Alex wrote:"Good Day! It is a thrill to see you. Tell me, has Katrina returned yet?"
Erm, who are they? How well do I know them? Very Happy
DM EDIT: I'll respond to this this afternoon.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Right! So, if what I just read was correct, Straegis or Alex can make a +1 Thunderburst trident for 840gp worth of reagents (can't make a +2 until level 9).

Would Mordax rather keep the Gravity Hammer instead of us making a +1 Thunderburst Trident?

Sorry to belabor this issue, but I want to make sure everyone is happy and we get this figured out quickly with the best possible outcome. It's my nature.
Cool

-Swift

OOC: If you make me take a +1 Thundersuck trident over the Kill the Dwarves with Their Own Kick-ass GRAVITY HAMMER I will be very sad indeed. I don't even like Thunderstruck, it just sucked less than all the other options.

I'll make do until I can recover the REAL trident I was meant to carry. It's not a great hammer, so I can still use my net. Might take some two-hander options from the Martial Power book, actually.

What would actually be ideal is this:

Critical: None
Property: Increase the weapon’s normal range by 5 squares and the long range by 10 squares.
(+2 Prof +2 Enhancement, d8+2 damage, 8/16 range, heavy thrown, versatile) 4 lbs

That's just so packed full of juicy, throwing, skewering-in-tandem-with-two handed-net-lovin' that I can barely fathom leaving it in the clutches of those wicked little menses.
Evil or Very Mad
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm

OOC: Should prolly take OOC comments of length over to the misc thread. This is getting cumbersome, and I can't move individual posts - just entire topics. I could edit/copy/paste each post on page 2, but then it would show up as all my posts, which is lame.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty macksgarageusa

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Straegis tells everyone what he would like to do now if possible "I would like to try to find a decent set of chainmail if possible, Alex we could transfer the enchantments bestowed on the Cagoule to the new armor. I would also be willing to sell this Longsword of Terror, if I could transfer everything from the Adamantine Axe to my other sword." Straegis will carefully inspect the items for sale here for any historical or magical significance.

Arcana: 1d20=17+15=32
History: 1d20=14+15=29

O.O.C.: There now it's in character.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" Empty Malazek

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:48 pm

OOC: Yeah, if this OOC conversation is going to continue, then it needs to move to the OOC/Misc thread. Otherwise, keep in character.

Alex wrote:"Good Day! It is a thrill to see you. Tell me, has Katrina returned yet?"
Erm, who are they? How well do I know them?
Dolenz responds, "No. Is she coming back already?.
"She must have found something then!" Jones adds.

Dolenz and Jones are both Aquamancers that Alex knows from training at the Host-tower. They were around the same age growing up, so they had some of the same classes. They were both kind of goofy, and always hung out with these other two clowns ...

"Hey Alex!" a voice cries out, as Nesmith and Tork catch up. "Yeah. How've you been?"

Malazek wrote:And of course, Davin immediately spots some local merchants, just up the road (or what passes as a road around here). Constructed of new wood and old stone, these tiny shops have made use of the surrounding ruins. Special deals, piled into baskets or hung on ropes, sit out front; protected from the sun by tent-like canopies.

Four elderly couples are seated in wooden chairs amongst the wares, sipping from wooden cups and enjoying the sun.
While most of the party discusses their magic items, Davin is able to get a good look at the merchants wares (even from this distance). These don't seem like normal stores; strange trinkets, unusual foods, outlandish clothes, flamboyant jewelry, and other odds and ends make these stalls look more like rummage sales than ordinary shops. In fact, the assortment forces Davin to take another look at the old people, just to make sure there's nothing else weird about them (there isn't).
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Distracted, Mordax can't help but peruse the goods for materials suitable for a net (such as silk clothing, a certain rarity in the Malbolg).

Also, he's curiously attracted to figurines of any sort, whether they be finely crafted ivory maidens or crudely constructed wooden horses.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:55 pm

I look at the wares from the wagon while gathering our items we mean to sell.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next