Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

+2
Malazek
151prooftattoos
6 posters

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" Empty Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 pm

Malazek wrote:Book One ended with the heroes approaching the ramp that would lead them to the last bit of Undermountain Highway before the Wise Stone. In order to remain quiet, they decided to advance on foot; after eating the Rothé they took from Gujoy.

OOC: And they reached Paragon level
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Standing hidden in the darkness, the party watches the Dwarves further up the tunnel. The journey here was long and dangerous; but now they have arrived.

The tunnel stretches further, leading off to who knows where; Nikhumba's map only takes them this far. Along the sidewall, however, is another tunnel blocked by a crenelated wall; the massive steel gate guarded by uncountable Dwarves.

The Dwarves are not expecting trouble. Despite the numerous troops that must await them on the other side, only a handfull actually stand atop the wall; their lantern lights giving away their number (12) and position.

But the sound of music and the echo of voices hint at the Dwarven regiments that must be there. Somewhere.

OOC: Did the party contact Ferall, then? And the Vanguard?
Was an Imilite contacted? If so, which one ...
... Assuming the message was recieved with enthusiasm, what's the next step?

This seems like the kind of stuff that happens BETWEEN books; we know what happens because of how Book One ended and how Book Two begins. So, who all got messages?

Also, Swift and Mack mentioned something about creating a portal; is that plan still being followed? (A Yes or No will suffice) The results of those efforts can be included right promptly; so, for the next few posts, let's figured put what happenED between books (instead of what's happenING)
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:22 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Woohoo Paragon Time Twisted Evil
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Yes, Paragon! Sweetness!

In case not everyone is aware (b/c it's been awhile) why we are contacting the Emperor/Velatian Vanguard/Imilites, it is because we need someone to garrison the Wise Stone after we change it's alignment to Water. We need to inform the Emperor, because he can send troops, mundane wizards and support, and we are kinda working for him. We need to contact the Velatian Vanguard, because they work for Straegis, and would be guaranteed troops to support us. Finally, we need to contact Imil, b/c we are kinda working for them, too (Alex is definitely, the rest of us by default), and they would have the MOST to gain by garrisoning a water nexus (hopefully starting to regain their power).

I know I discussed this with Mal, Verity, and Straegis, but I don't know if it was discussed with the rest of yas!

Hence the Sendings and the possible creation of a Portal.

So, now we face a choice - try to sneak/assassinate our way past these dwarves (and then bring in troops once we are closer), or, if we create a temp Portal down here, we can start bringing troops through and fight our way to the Wise Stone. Both choices have pluses and minuses.

Mal - can Davin make an educated guess on how many troops are immidiately facing us (you mentioned Regiments). Perhaps an Insight/Perception check?

Insight=23
Perception=27

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:23 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Mal - can Davin make an educated guess on how many troops are immidiately facing us (you mentioned Regiments). Perhaps an Insight/Perception check?

Insight=23
Perception=27
Around 7000, give or take a few hundred.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Around 7,000 troops await us on the other side of that gate. I vote for Portalling in our allies now and then we storm the gates in mass. We will have the element of surprise, and we won't be leaving an enemy force at our backs."

"A small group of us could kill the gate guards and open the gates...then, BANG! We attack. Sound good?"

O.O.C. - Davin was waiting for an opportunity to discuss the golden keys he lifted off the Sandbenders with Taalgarnuk. Can we say he did that prior to now? If not, Davin will pull them out for his inspection, and inspect them himself.

Thievery=28

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:"Dat soundeth sound."
"Me off'reth ta be on da ssneakinss and sstabbinss ssquad."
"Me too."
Juugug's ears twitch and Taalgarnuk's eyes squint, as both look sidelong at the Orge and his offer to "sneak" anywhere.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Davin was waiting for an opportunity to discuss the golden keys he lifted off the Sandbenders with Taalgarnuk. Can we say he did that prior to now? If not, Davin will pull them out for his inspection, and inspect them himself.
Absolutely; here is what he said: "Thesse looketh ta be o' Dwarved make." Showing them to Vangg, his suspicion is supported by the Dwarf's opinion. "Ss'pect a code an' whatnotss ta go wit' 'em."

Passive Perception 32: With that information, Davin inspects the keys further and notices the following runes carved ever so delicately along the main shafts of the keys: "G - L7 - D3 - D:R" on one, and "G - R6 - U1 - D:L" on the other.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Killing the watchmen and launching a suprise attack sounds like an excellent idea.", agrees Verity.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:FYI: My last exam is tuesday!
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Malazek wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Did the party contact Ferall, then? And the Vanguard?
Was an Imilite contacted? If so, which one ...
... Assuming the message was recieved with enthusiasm, what's the next step?

This seems like the kind of stuff that happens BETWEEN books; we know what happens because of how Book One ended and how Book Two begins. So, who all got messages?

Also, Swift and Mack mentioned something about creating a portal; is that plan still being followed? (A Yes or No will suffice) The results of those efforts can be included right promptly; so, for the next few posts, let's figured put what happenED between books (instead of what's happenING)
OOC: Okay, 24 hours is past, so I guess I'll just make a decision based on the two relevant posts that were made.

Ferrall was contact, Colonel Olivia was contacted, and Master Jenna was contacted. The party would need to create a permanent portal for them to get here (I didn't see any actual rules for crafting one, but it has to be possible. We'll say it involves the Linked Portal and the Enchant Magic Item rituals. So, please subtract 310 gp (in addition 150 needed for 3 Sednings). And agaibn, this happened between Books).

So ...

Two miles down the hall, the troops await for the heroes to return.
Among them:
  • Lieutentant Frater Servinus and a regiment of Ferall's troops (5000 strong). Frater has been order to work closely with Mordax, if at all possible.
  • Reed Canfield and Reed's Rangers (13 strong).
  • Colonel Olivia and the Velatin Vanguard (now only 3791).
  • Jenna, Viktor, Iassic, Derrick, Garret and some of the Host Guard (12 strong).
  • Kradag and 100 Garkondrak hunters, who came through with Jenna.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Swifthand wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:FYI: My last exam is tuesday!
Thank goodness! You have been severely missed!

O.O.C. - I assume we are all marshaled in one on the side passages with a door close to the dwarven fort?

A broad grin passes over the Elf's face when he recognizes Reed amongst the troops.

"Reed! What, The Imperial City getting boring for you, so you decided to come steal some MORE of my kills?! Ha Ha! Good to see you! How goes the good fight?"

After warmly clasping his forearm in the hunter's grip, Davin urges Canfield to share any news of the war. After talking for a bit, the Ranger notices another familiar face in the crowd.

"Reed, I have someone I would like you to meet - a fellow hunter, and a fine one, at that. Reed Canfield, meet Kradag of Garkondrak."

Once again, Davin greets another of his friends with the hunter's grip.

"So you came with Master Jenna, eh? Nice of her to invite you and yours to the party, Kradag! Your hunter's are welcome additions indeed."

A nudge at his leg momentarily diverts the Elf's attention below. With a chuckle, Davin scratches a panting ball of fur behind his ears.

"Ai por's thysaer o, Cyl!" ("I didn't forget you, Hound!")

"Kradag, meet my faithful companion, Hound. Watch your plate around this one, he is sneaky, and ALWAYS hungry!"

"Though we have no time for it now, we will meet tonight for a victory toast, friends. Prepare your troops, and come meet me and the others by the huge Ogre in a half hour. We will lay out our plan then."

Leaving Kradag and Reed, Davin makes his way to the other leaders of the forces and pays his respects to each.

"We are meeting in 30 minutes by the huge Ogre to lay out our plan of attack. See you there."

Rejoining his companions (who, I am sure, had their own greetings to extend), the Ranger gets down to the business of battle, but not before wiping the back of his brow with his dirty sleeve. While discussing the upcoming melee with his friends, one thing becomes clear: this Elf who was once a simple backwoods hunter has matured into something much more over the past several weeks. Davin seems to have an intuitive grasp of battlefield tactics and strategy, obviously learning much from the examples set forth by Straegis and Mordax. Though his perspective is definitely biased toward ranged combat, Davin's views and suggestions are nonetheless sound. (Hehe - Battlefield Archer Paragon Path, baby, yeahhh~!)

"So, the stealth team moves atop the wall, quickly and quietly dispatches the sentries there, and then opens the portcullis, allowing our troops to swoop in on the Dwarves beyond the wall. I suggest Reed and his Rangers, and any other ranged troops (did Frater bring any archers, or all infantry?) take position atop the wall after we take care of the sentries and prior to us sounding the attack. They will be able to all pick out important targets before the Dwarves know what hit them, further adding to their confusion. That will give us time to regroup and lead the charge together. I think Kradag's hunter's are best deployed as skirmishers, harrying the flanks of the the Dwarves. Perhaps we should split them, the Aquamancers, and the Home guard into two groups, one for each flank? The Vanguard are primarily spearman, correct? A concentrated strike right through the middle of the Dwarven ranks, led by Frater and his infantry, and supported by the Vanguard? What do you all think?"

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:A broad grin passes over the Elf's face when he recognizes Reed amongst the troops. "Reed! What, The Imperial City getting boring for you, so you decided to come steal some MORE of my kills?! Ha Ha! Good to see you! How goes the good fight?"
Returning the elf's grip, Reed replies "The fight goes as well as could be expected: we have lost many, but we've managed to hold our ground. The new Emperor is employing new strategies, all top secret. Me and my squad have experienced some success; I've obtained the rank of Sergeant Major."

Davin wrote:After talking for a bit, the Ranger notices another familiar face in the crowd. "Reed, I have someone I would like you to meet - a fellow hunter, and a fine one, at that. Reed Canfield, meet Kradag of Garkondrak."
Each eagerly joins the other's forearm in the Hunter's grasp.

Davin wrote:"So you came with Master Jenna, eh? Nice of her to invite you and yours to the party, Kradag! Your hunter's are welcome additions indeed."
"Not would miss it, mine friend."

Davin wrote:"Kradag, meet my faithful companion, Hound. Watch your plate around this one, he is sneaky, and ALWAYS hungry!"
Kradag looks at Hound with a bewildered gaze.

Davin wrote:"Though we have no time for it now, we will meet tonight for a victory toast, friends. Prepare your troops, and come meet me and the others by the huge Ogre in a half hour. We will lay out our plan then."
Everyone seems a bit leery about teaming up with such dangerous monster as Kersh and the Brothers Rinh, though not much has been said about it.

Swifty wrote:I assume we are all marshaled in one on the side passages with a door close to the dwarven fort?
Sure.

Patch wrote:(did Frater bring any archers, or all infantry?)
They are all infantry, but they are equipped with Imperial Crossbows (in addition to chainmail, halberds, and shortswords).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: You get 501 XPs for various Skill Challenges (two involving disguises, and one for intimidating Gujoy) AND 1000 for completing the Major Quest: "Sneak through the Belly of the Mountains." That brings everyone to 27,090! Welcome to Paragonhood.

Level up. Gain the following:
- Gain +1 to ALL attributes.
- Pick a Paragon Path. Gain it's Paragon Class Features.
- Gain it's Paragon Path Encounter Power.
- Gain a Feat.
- Gain HPs.

O.O.C. - Don't forget to change scaled powers/feats/and abilities! For example, Davin's feat, Weapon Focus, changed from a +1 to damage to a +2, and his class feature, Hunter's Quarry, changed from a +1d8 to +2d8.

Congratulations on Paragon, everyone!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: After a long absence (my own and the forum) it feels great to be back, give me time to catch my breath, and achieve my paragon-ity!, and we'll get back to business.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Good to have you back, Mack!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Hitting Paragon is sweet, Divine Oracle here I come.
Sweeter still is getting Straegis and Alex back in the mix. Now let's kick some dwarf arse!

"Azzy, come meet your uncle..."
Verity strides beaming up to the lieutenant and catches his brother in a most informal bear hug.
"Ha-ha! You're looking much heartier than last I found you." He clasps Frater's shoulders.
"How fares the Empire? Our new emperor making his mark on history?
"And what of the others, have you seen Fortis and Veridic lately? Any word from home?
"Our own trials through these dank labyrinthine caverns have been many, but by the Queens grace, and the aid of some new friends we have persevered.
"Frater, meet Azraelbenzariel, who calls me father. His mother was slain in the massacre at my Temple. Azzy, meet Frater, my elder brother and lieutenant of the Imperial army."

While listening to his brothers responses, Verity notices the suspicious glances the troops direct towards his monstrous brethren.
He motions toward Kersh and the brother's Rihn. "War makes strange bedfellows, does it not?" He asks with a wicked smile, leaving inferences of Azzy's parentage up for speculation. "But truly, they're a fine lot and I'll vouch for every one of them. They're hearts will be in this fight, I promise you that."
"We'll have time to talk at length later. For now I'll leave you to direct your command. Meet at the Ogre in half an hour that we may all plan the battle ahead. His name's Kersh, you can't miss him."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:28 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis asks Verity, Alex and Vangg if they have any ritual Incense, he takes out his ritual book and shows them his most recent addition (Consult Mystic Sages Ritual). If they could locate some, perhaps a question regarding the dwarves current situation or plans would be in order. If they don't have any he will suggest everyone ask around as they formulate their plan. Straegis heads for Olivia and asks her for an update on the condition of the remaining Vanguard troops.

O.O.C.: Subtracted 230gp worth of reagents*, half of total needed for linked portal, enchant magic item and 3x sending, from character sheet. *Oops, I meant subracted 385 worth of reagents.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:OCC: Hitting Paragon is sweet, Divine Oracle here I come.
Sweeter still is getting Straegis and Alex back in the mix. Now let's kick some dwarf arse!

O.O.C. - Now we just need some Mordax and Vangg luv and we'll be back in bidness!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 pm

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Sorry guys, I'm on hour 15 and my eyes are blurry. I'm down for another couple of days; I'll try to post tomorrow from work, but no gaurantees. I'm in the middle of a large server migration.

Mal, if you need to post for me, feel free. I'll hit the books this weekend to level.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Azzy, come meet your uncle..."
Verity strides beaming up to the lieutenant and catches his brother in a most informal bear hug.

"Ha-ha! You're looking much heartier than last I found you." He clasps Frater's shoulders. "How fares the Empire? Our new emperor making his mark on history?
"The Empire fares well, considering. We are still under siege, but holding our own. The Emperor was waiting on word from all of you; he was certian this was the best plan we had in action. ... though he has employed a number of other, stranger, strategies, as well. A lot of people have risen to occassion under his leadership, and because of them, we've accomplished many significant victories."

Verity wrote:"And what of the others, have you seen Fortis and Veridic lately? Any word from home ... "Our own trials through these dank labyrinthine caverns have been many, but by the Queens grace, and the aid of some new friends we have persevered."
"I have not seen either much since you left, but nor have I heard of any harm befalling them; in this line of work, no news is good news."

Verity wrote:"Frater, meet Azraelbenzariel, who calls me father. His mother was slain in the massacre at my Temple. Azzy, meet Frater, my elder brother and lieutenant of the Imperial army."
With thinly veiled trepidation, Frater hugs his "nephew."

Verity wrote:While listening to his brothers responses, Verity notices the suspicious glances the troops direct towards his monstrous brethren.
He motions toward Kersh and the brother's Rihn. "War makes strange bedfellows, does it not?" He asks with a wicked smile, leaving inferences of Azzy's parentage up for speculation. "But truly, they're a fine lot and I'll vouch for every one of them. They're hearts will be in this fight, I promise you that."
The troops listen, and seem to consider Verity's words.

Verity wrote:"We'll have time to talk at length later. For now I'll leave you to direct your command. Meet at the Ogre in half an hour that we may all plan the battle ahead. His name's Kersh, you can't miss him."
"Very well," he says, before heading off toward his troops.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Sorry guys ... I'm down for another couple of days; I'll try to post tomorrow from work ... if you need to post for me, feel free.
Got it. Np.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Jenna and the High Scolars approach Alex in the darkness, "Your message said you could change the elemental alignment of the Wise Stone to water; can you really do it? How is this possible? The rewards could be well worth the attempt, but realize that failure in this regard will have dire repurcussions."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Straegis heads for Olivia and asks her for an update on the condition of the remaining Vanguard troops.
Colonel Olivia reports, "We've lost 1209 soldiers, but the 3791 remaining are all healed and healthy."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity will aid Straegis, and presumably Alex and Vangg, with the ritual casting.

He'll take a walk with Frater to catch up and privately inquire about the "strange" methods the Emperor is now employing.

OCC: Verity's downtime (Melor 7th through 10th) was spent preaching the Queen's gospel to the party, teaching Azraelbenzariel to fight, trying to keep the groups spirits up, and ineffectually honing his Sharptongue. He prays for guidance in the imminent culmination of their quest.
[Above OCC editied for clarity]
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Good idea, Halcyon.

Sometime between books, Davin asks Halcyon to begin to instruct him in etiquette and manners. He also asks Straegis to aid him on any specific nuances pertaining to Elves. If asked why, Davin turns a bit red, and in a stammering reply, says, "Never know when it could come in handy..."

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next