Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" Empty Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: This is not where I originally planned to start a new chapter, but since the party is asleep it seems like a good spot to start a new chapter.
(Besides, Chapter 4 is 63 pages long). So ...

Continued from here.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

After awhile, the party wakes up refreshed and revitalized.
Presumably, morning has come without incident.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 am

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg awakes and feels enlightened by his vision. He looks about at his companions.

OOC: Is Azzy's arm quite noticeable? If so Vangg checks it out.

Religion Check: 24
Roll
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 am

Malazek wrote:Vangg wakes up and notices Azzy's arm, and goes over to examine it.

The humerus (upper arm bone) is so long now, that his elbow drags on the ground when he's standing; plus, it's developed a bit of a twisted curve! Two strange knot has formed on his arm, as well.

His radius and alna (forearm bones) have become fused! And they too have become curved, though not as radically as the upper arm. His hand is entirely missing!

But that's not the only thing that's weird. He's now even bigger than before! He's not quite as heavy as the ogre, but he's noticably taller.

As Vangg takes stock of the situation, Azzy's entire arm falls off. Azzy looks down at, with a sad expression, and asks "What's happening to me, Vangg?"

Vangg wrote:Religion Check: 24
Roll
Vangg suspects that Azzy is "growing" one of the the infamous Scythes that Death Angels always carry; the sudden metamorphasis of his arm must have been triggered by the souls he ate. Vangg suspects that his arm will grow back, but not before the scythe is done forming. Better take it with you.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity wakes from his fitful sleep to the sound of the death angel’s arm rattling to the ground.
Sitting bolt upright,“Wha? Oh, Holy Mother of Death! What grim tidings be these…Ah but I see.
He rises to approach the rapidly developing angel, and pats his massive hand reassuringly.
“Fear not, lad but you gave me a start. These dark, dank caverns have me on edge. This is not to be your arm but your most valuable tool, the one with which you shall harvest souls. Take good care of it and your arm shall grow back soon enough.”
The Death Knight fashions a sling for the proto-scythe that Azzy may carry it in comfort, and retain use of his one hand.
“I was thinking, we don’t quite have the bearing of the denizens of this dark realm. It makes us targets. If we continue after Tulgarlnuk down this much traveled route, we outsiders will be accosted at every turn and travel will be slow and our quest in jeopardy. But if we travel disguised, as inhabitants of the underdark, most won’t give us a second glance. It won’t take but a bit of charcoal to make Straegis appear to be Drow. Davin too with a hood. Same for Vangg to pass as Druegar. My armour hides me well enough but a bit of faceblack won’t hurt. Mordax can be similarly hid. We can fashion a bone necklace or the like and all will see Alex as a Necromancer. Snorri makes a fine prisoner, Kersh a passable Ogre and Azzy a terrific angel of death. Surely they can forgive us one Goblin.
“As outsiders, all will challenge us, and with the support of all the other inhabitants of the underdark. Obscuring our identities will speed our travel greatly. Very few will dare cross a party of warriors, giants, and a Necromancer.”
Verity tears off a chunk of dried boar to break his fast and passes the larger pierce around.

OCC: Vangg's vision?!

Religion: 23
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: The vision/dream was just a fancy way to explain Vangg's new spell - Mass Cure Light wounds Smile
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:“I was thinking, we don’t quite have the bearing of the denizens of this dark realm. It makes us targets. If we continue after Tulgarlnuk down this much traveled route, we outsiders will be accosted at every turn and travel will be slow and our quest in jeopardy. But if we travel disguised, as inhabitants of the underdark, most won’t give us a second glance. It won’t take but a bit of charcoal to make Straegis appear to be Drow. Davin too with a hood. Same for Vangg to pass as Druegar. My armour hides me well enough but a bit of faceblack won’t hurt. Mordax can be similarly hid. We can fashion a bone necklace or the like and all will see Alex as a Necromancer. Snorri makes a fine prisoner, Kersh a passable Ogre and Azzy a terrific angel of death. Surely they can forgive us one Goblin.
“As outsiders, all will challenge us, and with the support of all the other inhabitants of the underdark. Obscuring our identities will speed our travel greatly. Very few will dare cross a party of warriors, giants, and a Necromancer.”

Davin nods in agreement with Verity's plan as he chews on his breakfast.

Davin will take 10 to aid the Bluff check necessary to disguise everyone (though I do not think he could aid the roll to disguise himself). Further, per Verity's suggestion, Davin will be traveling "hood up" for the rest of the journey, to better hide his features.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: That's an interesting plan. It should be easy enough to gather charcoal from the fire, and bones from one of your fallen enemies, but who's actually going to create these disguises (i.e. apply the charcoal what not)? I know Davin is assisting ("He needs more black over in this area, yeah, that looks better.") ... but who's actually doing the bulk of the work? Nobody is actually trained in Bluff, but Verity has the best bonus at +10. Also, anybody else helping (aiding) in this endeaver?.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:The knight's own plan divides his spirit. Deceit is forbidden by Verity's Order as a form of vanity and a twisting of what is truly fated. It's a point of honor for the Paladin that he moves through the world true to his purpose. From the day his father named him Verity, for truth, he's seldom strayed from this path.

Still, the desperation of the situation and the Queen's directive to hurry steels his resolve that the sin is not so great as the boon. Feeling a bit drunk on the infinite possibilities of deception, he focuses his mind with a short prayer before veiling the identities of his comrades.

Verity mixes a bit of ash form the fire, that the charcoal face paint doesn’t look unnaturally black. Using the pommel of his sword and his food bowl as mortar and pestle, he grinds the mix to a fine powder.

He’ll try to arrange everyone’s armour / clothing as appropriate. He’ll give Davin the matched Drow blades, and salvage what clothing and gear he can from the dead at the bottom of the stairs when they get there. Hopefully Alex can use his arcane arts to remove blood spatters / tears from any clothing if that will aid our ruse.

Buckling the ornate cursed belt about Snorri's waist he says, "Alright then. Off to deliver this noble's son for ransom. Right, Kersh?"

Bluff: The following include +10 base and +8aid. I did not include circumstantial modifiers for racial similarities or using proper clothing. I did roll figuring I could re-roll if the rolls were bad (, which they were not at all).
Alex: Natch for 38, Davin 30, Mordax 36, Straegis 34, Vangg 30
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Bluff: The following include +10 base and +8 aid. I did not include circumstantial modifiers for racial similarities or using proper clothing. I did roll figuring I could re-roll if the rolls were bad (, which they were not at all).
OOC: +8 Aid? Check. So far, you have +2 (from Davin) on all but one (the one for Davin). I'll wait to see who else helps (and how they do so) before proceeding.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Bluff: The following include +10 base and +8 aid. I did not include circumstantial modifiers for racial similarities or using proper clothing. I did roll figuring I could re-roll if the rolls were bad (, which they were not at all).
OOC: +8 Aid? Check. So far, you have +2 (from Davin) on all but one (the one for Davin). I'll wait to see who else helps (and how they do so) before proceeding.

Mordax applies years of battlefield experience, giving advice on proper leering, posturing, and bluster worthy of a sadistic braggart. Additionally, he's somewhat of an expert on disfiguring scars.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg will aid with his knowledge of the Underdark.

Dungeoneering: Rolled a 3, but forgot - could just take 10 for 22.
OOC: So - 15 because I rolled, or 22 if take 10 up to the DM Smile

DM EDIT: Either way, the DC to Aid is 10.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis spends the evening making small talk with Azzy (when he isn't sleeping) and studying. The morning comes, too soon he feels, and Straegis waits patiently for Verity to wake up. When he finally does, Straegis hands him the polygot gem and says "I want you to have this, the boy calls you his father and it seems only fitting that I pass this gem to you now."
macksgarageusa wrote:- The Ninth Polyglot Gem: Within its many facets, this intricately carved gemstone holds the secrets of the Supernal language.
Property: Each polyglot gem contains the knowledge of one language, chosen when the item is created; the ninth gem contains the Supernal language spoken by angels, devils, and even gods. As long as you carry the gem on your person, you are able to speak, read, and write Supernal fluently. But, if you carry more than one polyglot gem on your person, none of them function. (Special: If you create a polyglot gem, you can imbue it only with a language you know.) Wondrous Item: 1,800 gp
Straegis will assist with Davin's disguise, doing his best to recall and convey to his allies everything he knows about Drow and Druegar (looks, mannerisms, etc.). Straegis will do his best to make sure his cloak stays pulled down over his eyes also.

History(drow): 1d20=14+16=30
History(druegar): 1d20=9+16=25
Bluff(to Assist): 1d20=16+5(half-lvl)=21

O.O.C.: Straegis now fluently speaks, reads and writes: Iokharic, Davek and Supernal. (Linguist Feat).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Jugugg, Kersh - how do we look?"

After any last minute corrections prompted by the two representatives of the "monster" races, Davin pulls Snorri's gag out to give him breakfast and water.

"Eat quickly. We leave in minutes."

Davin will take the time to clean up the camp erasing signs of our passage. When he is finished, the hall looks pristine - as if no one had ever passed.

Take 10 on Perception for a 34.

"Are we about ready?"

Stealth=27

Do I pick up Talgarnuk's tracks with a 34?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Juugug and Kersh lend their opinions, as well.

So, adorned with informed disguises, the entire procession heads out, starting the long trek down the wearylong stairs. A few additional ornaments from the bodies at the bottom should complete the ruse.

Half an hour later, the party reaches the bottom. They are surprised to find the orc bodies missing; someone has carried them away in the night ... but whoever it was, left the drow AND the mindflayer (and those are the ones you really wanted, anyway). With a few Lolthian and Illithidian accessories, the costumes are complete.

The heroes set off down the littered subterranean superhighway.

As they pass the next set of steps (where the orcs were lured), Davin sees a large floating orb in the corner of his vision; the orb has a huge central eye, a gaping maw, and a dozen or so smaller eye stalks jutting from the top of it: it's the beholder!! ... but it's backing away, into the shadows, apparently retreating from the party. As Davin cautiously watches it, it seems to give him a faint nod. Perhaps this disguise idea will work after all?

The party continues their march.

A mile or so later, Davin sees something moving along the cieling. Whispering to his comrads, but playing it cool, he watches as they approach ... and sees two creatures that could best be described as man-sized bats (though "man-like" bats might be a better description). Riding on the backs of the bat-things are two little men with long hooked-noses, dressed in pitch-colored cloaks. As they draw near, the two little men fade into the shadows, vanishing entirely from normal sight. The rest of the party sees only the "bats" as the pass overhead, flying-by without incident.

After an hour, the entire party sees a light appear ahead of them. The light is coming from a torch, which looks to be carried by a two-headed giant of some kind. The giant takes pause, watching as the party approaches, it's two heads embroiled in what looks to be a heady* conversation. After a moment, it heads back up the stairs; apparently, it decided it wasn't worth the risk.

*See what I did there?

The walls of this underground passage do not remain marble along the entire journey; the road cuts through field stone, concrete, hewn rock, and even natural caverns. At times it is wider than before, and other times it is shorter. Side passage and bored tunnels extend out periodically, but the whole way is littered with old rotten crates, busted chunks of stonework, shards of broken pottery, filthy stagnant puddles, rusty discarded weapons, and even decaying corpses left where they fell.

But this is how the morning goes -- Beetles, Ettercaps, Fish-people, Umberhulks, Hobgoblins, a tentancle monster, and even a band of mercenary Wartrolls -- decide the party isn't worth bothering with. Most hide or flee, but a few simply ignore, carring on with their own missions and concerns. Two Drow, a Necromancer, a Duergar, a Goblin, an Ogre, a Death Angel, two mysterious warriors, and a dog: all leading a lone dwarven prisoner, gagged and bound ... who would bother such a band?

Only once does anything dare approach such a diverse and sinister looking parade. A bask of brawny reptilian barbarians approach the party, without fear or malice, walking to one side of the tunnel and allowing the party wide berth. The leader nods to each of you as you pass ... and the smell of these foul creatures is eye-watering. It takes all your will to endure it without wincing, though you get the impression that an ugly grimace would lead to conflict. (Davin, Alex, Vangg, and Juugug are all later able to identify them Troglodytes).

By lunch time, the party has made excellent progress, and it starts to seem like the entire journey could go this easy; but seasoned adventurers as you are, you realize that letting your guard down would merely invite trouble. It seems you've gone about 10 miles along this route.

Eager for a short break, the party finds a secluded dead-end side passage to sit and rest in. But the respite is all too short, and the journey continues.

The next few hours are much like the first few; the denizens of this dark domain assume the worse and take action to avoid you. If any have pierced your disguises, they have given no indication of it.

Around midafternoon, Davin hears the hum of many voices and sees the faint glow of a distant light. Shortly thereafter, the rest of the party sees and hears it, too. Obviously, the elven scout speeds ahead to see what kind of a ruckus you're getting yourselves into.

He returns with the following information ...

The tunnel widens into a vast cavern, with glistening stalctites hanging overhead. The road itself continues for another hundred yeards, where it joins a stout stone bridge. The bridge spans the distance of a murky underground lake, perhaps a half a mile across.

Colorful merchant tents are set up along the sides of the cavern and along the bridge, and all manner of strange beings mingle between them. It seems to be a bazaar of some sort.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Do you march on, to the cavern, through the bazaar, and over the bridge?
Or is this a time for slight modification in the plan? You decide
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Confident that he can now speak the languages he has been studying for so long, Straegis will spend any and all free time now studying Raed's warstep techniques from his spellbook. As they walk, Straegis asks Mordax to show him how he uses his skewer attack to hit multiple enemies with one swing. When Davin returns with the intel, Straegis says that he is leery of heading into a crowded marketplace.

O.O.C.: Straegis wants to store Cleave in his armor for later use. I don't mind going "shopping" but I just figured there are alot more people, perhaps merchants with better percep. or insight than the random strangers we have encountered on the highway, to blow our cover and ruin our ruse. Mal, what are our correct XP's right now?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 am

Swifthand wrote:"Should we check out the bazaar? It may be dangerous, but I think the reward outweighs the risk. We could use ritual components and we could see if anyone has any maps. Who knows what strange things may be for sale here that we will never have the opportunity to buy again? No matter what, we should stay together, at all costs."

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:"We're in a spot, now, me laddies" says the veteran in a low murmur, "reign in yuir curiosity an' lets press on, lest we find oorsel's in an armed camp surrounded by outraged beasties."

OOC: Vote we press on, attracting as little attention as possible. Be ready to react to stimulus, though, as ignoring those expecting a response is also a giveaway.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:!efore heading out in the morning:
"Thank you for the polyglot gem Straegis." Verity says in supernal.

As the group approaches the bazaar:
"We should resupply for the long journey ahead. Preferaby at the far end of the bridge in case we need to beat a hasty retreat.passing through without any interest could draw suspicion as well. Is the language of men commonly spoken here? And did that 'obold pass this way?" Says verity quietly. .

OCC: So that's my vote. We have enough ritual components for one raise dead at this level, but at 11th you need 10 times the value in components, specifically 5000 gp worth. We should get them while we can and see if there's anything awesome and unique here. Vangg could use his insight to choose a non-suspicious merchant to help our chances...
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Tied...2-2, heheh. Vangg and Alex?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Mal, what are our correct XP's right now?
20,931. I've been keeping track on Vangg's sheet (because the color red is easy to find), so if you even need to double check, look there.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:56 am

magicspellz12 wrote:"I have plenty of components."

--------------
I vote we don't go shopping.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg seems leery about shopping.

"Us kin shops whence we's git outta dis smellful, dank 'ole in da grounds - where go'bins spawn from an' what nots. Dey an finds us outs, gonna be an 'ell ta pays me tinks."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:So, 4-2, looks like you're pressing on ...

Confronted with so many potential foes, the heroes decide that the best thing to do is press on, moving through the crowded area quickly and directly; it wouldn't be prudent to linger or converse.

So, with the decision made, they march into the spacious cavern. A few monstrous merchants call out (possibly to them, possibly not): "Ho' roas'ed ra'lesnake! Osquip ona stick!" "Lucky 'obbit feet! Getcher lucky 'obbit feet!" "Riichere, riichere! Capes 'n cloaks, jackets 'n jerkins!" ... but the heroes mind their own affairs, and strut towards the bridge which seems to be the only way out of this place.

OOC: Some Bluff rolls were required here, but I didn't want to wait for everyone to post them. So, I rolled twice for everyone actually wearing a disguise; and allowed everyone who didn't need one to AID. I also gave a bonus for Verity's awesome disguises and a bonus for having a prisoner. It's a stressful moment, however, so taking-10 was not allowed.

Rolls: 25, 17, 25, 27 & 21, 29, 33, 21

As the party reaches the bridge, it seems like this scheme might actually work. They move up the slope of the bridge, continuing to pass the merchants that line the sides of it. Between the tents, they catch a glimpse of the lake below; several small boats sit on the surface of the lake, and seem to have reached this destination via a shallow river that pours into the lake from a wide cavemouth far to your left. Still, the heroes press on (OOC: Stick to the plan, Jones! Stick to the plan!).

When the party reaches the top of the bridge, and prepares to descend to the other side, one of the merchants steps over to them. "A moment, sirs. Things are not always what they seem," he starts with a wink, but continues "My wares may be of particuliar interst to you." Dressed in a fine silk thawb, draped in ermine, and sporting a heavy collection of jewlery: this merchant is no shanty trader of snakes and rodents, but a wealthy distributer of the exotic.

Besides, Vangg gathers from his dismeaner that he KNOWS; his words may be a veiled suggestion (nay, a threat, even) that the party should listed to him. (Davin also notices that his hands are on backward; his palms facing out, rather than in).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: What race is he?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity presses through the throngs with his comrades, until this merchant of the exotic calls their bluff.
"After you, merchant, that we may judge the authenticity of your offerings."

Diplomacy: 30
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next