Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 am

Malazek wrote:Crossing his arms and scratching his chin, Nikumbha ponders the gravity of Verity's offer. After awhile, he pulls aside the velvet mask, the scimitars, and three of the solitaires (the aquamarine, the cerulean, and the violet). Then, he spreads his arms to indicate everything else; "Name your price, then, good sir! I would gladly pay any of these for that information," he says.

"... but NOT, these. They are too valuable," he adds, indicating the items he has set aside.

Around this time, the pathetic gofer returns, and hands a small but heavy sack to Nikumbha. "Aha! Here are your salves. Do not mistake the small size of this bag as any indication of miserly dealings; the salves in here are of the highest quality."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 3 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:For sale ...

...and a brooch that supposedly bolsters your lifeforce (50,000 gp)

O.O.C. - My suggestion.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:“A days journey back whence we came you will pass a stair on the left with bloody bootprints leading to a Beholder’s lair. The stair immediately after will carry you nearly two miles up. There you will find the Hall of Enigmas."

“One riddle asks ‘When one does not know it, it is something; when one knows it, it is nothing. The answer is ‘A secret.’ The riddle that will get you back is ‘What cannot be named without being broken?’ And the answer: ‘Silence’. The riddles and answers are in the Ioharic tongue. My friend here can write for you the answers if needed."

“The Dwarves mass near the enigma warded chamber: two regiments totaling 10,000 strong. They can be found a day or two South of that room."

The knight palms the brooch that bolsters life force.

"By the way, what tipped you off to us?" After the answer Verity will make any possible adjustments to improve the disguises of the group.

He continues “You’ve been most equitable. Now we shall leave you to go about your business. Until next time, Nikumbha.”
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Just to be clear: You guys are standing at the top of a bridge, in the midst of a subterranean bazaar, surrouded by denizens of the underdark (and disguised to look like you belong here). I just wanted to make sure that was clear.
OOC: Crystal.
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Can we get a map?
LOL.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 am

151prooftattoos wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Just to be clear: You guys are standing at the top of a bridge, in the midst of a subterranean bazaar, surrouded by denizens of the underdark (and disguised to look like you belong here). I just wanted to make sure that was clear.
OOC: Crystal.
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Can we get a map?
LOL.

OOC: Whoa ~~
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“A days journey back whence we came you will pass a stair on the left with bloody bootprints leading to a Beholder’s lair. The stair immediately after will carry you nearly two miles up. There you will find the Hall of Enigmas."

“One riddle asks ‘When one does not know it, it is something; when one knows it, it is nothing. The answer is ‘A secret.’"
At this, Nikumbha scratches his head. "A secret? Are you sure? Doesn't someone have to know it, for it to be a secret? Have you been through this door? You say the treasures that lay beyond remain unknown. Why haven't you claimed such a prize, seeing as how you know the asnwers?"

Verity wrote:“The riddle that will get you back is ‘What cannot be named without being broken?’ And the answer: ‘Silence’. The riddles and answers are in the Iokharic tongue. My friend here can write for you the answers if needed."
"Silence, right. Iohkaric? Yes, please, write it down, if you'd be so kind."

Verity wrote:The knight palms the brooch that bolsters life force.
Nikumbha takes the ruby and the platinum that was put up, and tucks it somewhere behind the counter.

Verity wrote:"By the way, what tipped you off to us?" After the answer Verity will make any possible adjustments to improve the disguises of the group.
Nikumbha smiles. "Demeanor. Your disguises are adequat, but your companions carry themselves with too much respect for one another. It was a subtle clue, but a band that includes drow and druegar and goblins and ogres will display subtle hints of contempt for one another. The drow are especially arrogant; the druegar unable to let go of their ancient hatreds. Even when such friendships are forged, they are rarely unabashed; can you imagine the embarassment one would face, if members of their own house were to see them with such lowly companions as their hated ancestral foes? ... Open hostility would be too much; but a subtle hint would do the trick."

+2 Bonus on the next set of rolls, because of Nikumbha's advice

Verity wrote:"He continues “You’ve been most equitable. Now we shall leave you to go about your business. Until next time, Nikumbha.”
"And you, as well, my friend. Travel well."

He hands Verity the map and the heroes are ready to resume their deceptive march. Taking a tip from the one who spotted them, they head straight across the bridge, pretending to have a reluctant truce, at best. The crowd seems to buy it; nobody else stops them.

(Rolls: 19, 31, 21, 31)

Their journey leads them down the otherside of the bridge, and into the tunnel beyond.

OOC: Will continue this later.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg mumbles, "Me returneth latters an' keel dat backhandwards . . ."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg mumbles, "Me returneth latters an' keel dat backhandwards . . ."

"Aye" says the soldier, "I twa' hae a debt tae pay, though 'tis no' one ye'd like. Tha' evil nature o' tha' beastie one cannae deny, but he treated us right, sae 'e did. Should I caem by this road agin', I hape I've coin tae spare, for I'd rightly trade wi' he' o' tha' inwards hands."

"Ye do 'im an injustice, friend Vangg" Mordax muses, "fer at e'ry turn 'e could've done us in. Yet, 'e choose tae follow 'is creed, an' fer that I respect 'im. Are we sae much diff'rnt, us soldiers? Ye' cannae deny tha' killin' 'afore one's time is evil, yet we do it wi' nary a thought o' consequence. Did ye no' ever hear tha' parable o' tha' frog an tha' scorpion?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:05 am

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:Vangg mumbles, "Me returneth latters an' keel dat backhandwards . . ."
Juugug nods. "Da nerve o' 'im."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: I just got back, could we get this too?

Malazek wrote:
For sale ...

a brooch that supposedly bolsters your allies (34,000 gp)
<-----only wanted this one.

If Nikumbha provides him with the writing supplies, Straegis will write down the words for him before they go.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Vangg wrote: "Me returneth latters an' keel dat backhandwards . . ."

Mordax wrote:Did ye no' ever hear tha' parable o' tha' frog an tha' scorpion?

Juugug wrote: "Da nerve o' 'im."

"If he'd had more to gain by making us known, no doubt he'd have done it. Small wonder he's amassed such treasures. That one's all scorpion, and a fop to boot. Hrmph."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:06 am

Swifthand wrote:
Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:For sale ...

...and a brooch that supposedly bolsters your lifeforce (50,000 gp)

O.O.C. - My suggestion.

BTW, that was not a suggestion for Davin. If it is what I think it is, it would be very nice for anyone, though I believe Alex is still behind the group in magic items. That was just the best item that was offered, IMO.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:
Juugug wrote:"Da nerve o' 'im."

Vangg steps closer to his goblin friend.

"Might an fine display o' prideness an' invadin' we space . . . may da Queen becurse 'is bedamned 'ands straight."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: I'm not bothered. Let Straegis have the one he wants.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C. I wasn't requesting that we only get that one, i figured we were already in possession of the lifeforce broach, i was trying to see if we could also get the other one. the only reason i added the (<---note) was because when i originally put the quote in there, two broaches were listed, i took one out and added the arrows cuz i didn't know who had read my post before i edited it.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: It's fine with me if we want to say you purchased both brooches.
Just let me know what items were traded in for the second one (17,000 gold worth).

In the mean time, I'm gonna move things alongs ...
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:07 am

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:
Juugug wrote:"Da nerve o' 'im."
Vangg steps closer to his goblin friend. "Might an fine display o' prideness an' invadin' we space . . . may da Queen becurse 'is bedamned 'ands straight."
"I bewonderin' ... d' ya s'pose da 'ands in 'is tent were da hands of t'ieves? Or d' ye tink 'e's trying ta fin' straight ones ta replace 'is crook'd ones? Hmmm."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex examines his new trinket as they leave.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:In Alex's possession, now ...
Brooch of Vitality (Lvl 15; 25,000 gp)
This warm, redwood, heart-shaped brooch beats softly and represents the durability of life.
Item Slot: Neck*
Enhancement: +3 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property: Increase your maximum hit points by 5.

The other items (once Straegis pays for it) ...
Brooch of No Regrets (Level 13; 17,000 gp)
This ornate golden shield pin bolsters your allies even in dire circumstances.
Item Slot: Neck*
Enhancement: +3 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when an ally within 20 squares of you fails a saving throw. That ally rerolls that saving throw with a +2 power bonus and must use the second result, even if it’s lower.

*Note: This does not stack with cloaks or other neck-slot items
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Sorry for the delay. I was a bit under the weather yesterday (less so today).
Malazek wrote:He hands Verity the map and the heroes are ready to resume their deceptive march. Taking a tip from the one who spotted them, they head straight across the bridge, pretending to have a reluctant truce, at best. The crowd seems to buy it; nobody else stops them.

(Rolls: 19, 31, 21, 31)

Their journey leads them down the otherside of the bridge, and into the tunnel beyond.
Continuing Now ...

The next tunnel is much like the last. In parts, the walls are hewn through natural rock, and in others they are constructed of masonry; soapstone, limestone, and even granite line the sides of your journey. As does a myriad of discarded junk.

Early in the journey, a group of gnolls pass the party, going in the other direction. They have the party outnumbered, but still, they don't start any real trouble ... but they were laughing hysterically at something, and for a moment you thought maybe it was you.

At one point, the party disturbs a nest of stirges (bloodsucking bat-like creatures, not unlike giant mosquitos). The stirges attack once or twice, but leave the party alone after you easily hack a few of them down.

After about 5 miles, Davin notices a pile of Worg scat, and wonders if the orcs you saw before might have gone with this way? Looking at the map, you see a number of Orc settlements in this direction; so maybe they did.

Giant spiders, dire rats.

A couple goblins playing dead on the side of the hall.
Juugug pays no attention to them.

Just after what should have been dinner time, the exhausted party uses the map to find another dead end, and hunkers down for the night. By your calculations, you've gone another 15 miles. All in all, you figure you went about 25 miles today; a good pace for the dwarves, but much slower than the elf is used to moving. Assuming your path is straight, this will only take another week.

833 XPs for the "Day of Disguises" SC. 333 for the "Nikumbha" SC. Thats 22,097 total, now.

As usual, Straegis takes watch, using that time to study. Mordax joins his vigiliance for the first half-hour, but then he too joins the others. It's not the most comfortable place to sleep, but you're getting used to it.

An hour or so into the evening, Straegis sees movment in the shadows. Looking up, he reaches for his blade and opens his mouth to shout. Before he can utter a word, however, your assailant utters a high-pitched whisper at him.

"Sshh! Not a word, darky."

Looking up, Straegis sees a deadly black scorpion dangling in front of his face. The scorpion seems to be suspended by a string, and the string from a long pole. The pole itself is held by a tiny figure, standing at the edge of the light and wearing a dark cloak; the hood pulled up to obscure his face.

"What kin'a foul sscat eater muss' ye be, ta travel wit' da foul lotss o' dese ssons o' mutherlesss goatss?" he says, indicating Vangg, then Juugug, then Verity. At this, Straegis recognizes the symbol of the Queen suspended around his neck.

Pulling back his hood, the kobold smiles a toothy grin, and lifts the arachnid away from Straegis's face. He puts a quiet finger to his lips, and takes a seat.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Zzzzzz...Zzzzzz...ZzPfffft!zzz...Zzzzzz...
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis realizes who the kobold is and quietly introduces himself "I am Straegis II, you must be Tulgaarnuk. I am pleased to make your acquaintance tho I must say, your brethren have had nothing good to say about you." Straegis extends his arm to shake then chuckles and smiles before continuing "If I'm not mistaken 'foul son of a motherless goat' is the exact term they used to describe you. Are you hungry?" Straegis will offer him some pieces of dried fish if he wants.

O.O.C.: Straegis would have no means to arrange payment for the other broach, just thought maybe we could get it "thrown in" with the deal we had already made.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Straegis would have no means to arrange payment for the other broach, just thought maybe we could get it "thrown in" with the deal we had already made.
OOC: NO? I thought you guys had a bunch of items to trade in? Maybe Verity can help you out on that one?

Straegis wrote:Straegis realizes who the kobold is and quietly introduces himself "I am Straegis II, you must be Tulgaarnuk. I am pleased to make your acquaintance tho I must say, your brethren have had nothing good to say about you." Straegis extends his arm to shake then chuckles and smiles before continuing "If I'm not mistaken 'foul son of a motherless goat' is the exact term they used to describe you."
Laughing to himself, the Kobold shakes Straegis hand, and responds "Dem three? Dey a'wayss lie; bedamned dwarfss an' gob'inss an' ... whatever he be."

Looking around, he asks "Gotss any food?" After Straegis answers, he continues "Wakess me up 'eforess dem, an' I'll cooketh breakfasst."

He pulls a heavy blanket and a flask from his knapsack. He passes the latter to Straegis, and the curls up under the former.

"So, whosse da one dat 'feated all m' trapss?"

After Straegis answers, the Kobold drifts quickly off to sleep.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Morning comes swiftly, and the party wakes to the smell of warm* sausage and coffee (courtesy of Taalgarnuk). As soon as Vangg starts to stir, the Kobold kicks him and Juugug and Verity, and yells "Getss up! Getts up! Ye no good child o' troll vomitss! Ye worthlesss ssnotsskin gob'in! Ye crazzzy bedraggled beardbelly! Getss up!!"

*Not quite hot, however, as the smell would bring all sorts of nasties.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:09 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity smiles broadly at the surly wakeup call proffered his brothers, glad Tulgaarnuk answered the call and equally cheered to be out of the line of fire. Rising to his feet he finds the aches that have accompanied his mornings of late have subsided a bit: likely attributable to the conspicuous lack of anyone trying to kill him the previous day.
He looks to Asraelbenzariel determined to keep smiling and cheer the lad even if the young angel has awoken as a heap of disconnected bones.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:09 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Rising to his feet he finds the aches that have accompanied his mornings of late have subsided a bit: likely attributable to the conspicuous lack of anyone trying to kill him the previous day.
With his tiny scaled talon, Taalgarnuk gives Verity a shove. And then embraces him.

Verity wrote:He looks to Asraelbenzariel determined to keep smiling and cheer the lad even if the young angel has awoken as a heap of disconnected bones.
Azzy seems much the same as he did yesterday, though his boney structure has taken on a more "mature" appearance ... and his stumpy shoulder is now a stumpy elbow; it's starting to grow back!

Checking the slung severed limb, Verity finds the mayhem has indeed dried down to the lethal-shape of a razor-sharp scythe. Too bad Azzy only has one arm, and can't wield it.

Azzy says, "Look Father, it's growing back!"

"Father?!!" Taalgarnuk exclaims.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next