Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 2 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 am

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax appraises the merchant in an instant, noting the posture of one who has the upper hand.

Subconsciously stroking his mallet, the fisherman takes a surprising lead.

"Aye, laird, an jus' tha' man we were lookin' fer'. Tis' yer' wares we seek, an' mony a coin will we drop fer' yer' discretion. We're seekin' a map, so we are, a valuable commodity in these dark times, says we."

With a wink he continues in an odd patois ne'er heard before by the companions.

"Whe'v came by backroads an' bracken', an' we 'ave, an' slain mony a' foe. Why, jus' the o'ter doy whe'v kilt a fish-overlaird, an' 'ave na prolem slayin' ano'ter in oor way. Sell us a map, merchant, an' will serve ye' will. Start a troublin' us, an' will rip yer face off.

Intimidate: 1d20+10=27

The fisherman flashes his purse o' coin, waiting on the balls of his feet for a response.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 2 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis carefully looks over and tries to get a read on our new "acquaintance", especially interesting to him are the strangers hands. Sensing his ally's impatience with the merchant, Straegis steps up and says, "Things of particular interest you say? Hmmm, let's see if our definitions of interesting match. Show us to your wares, eh...friend?"

Insight: 1d20=12+5(half-lvl)=17
Perception: 1d20=3+5(half-lvl)=8
History(hands): 1d20=5+16=21

O.O.C.: I would suggest several insight and percep. checks ongoing now, not sure he if he wants to get us into trouble or just make a little money off of his perception of our present predicament. The history roll was to see if Straegis had heard of this condition, is it racial? done as punishment for a crime? birth defect, etc.?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex keeps his mouth queit and his eyes narrow beneath the lavender hood of his robes.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin subtly slips to the rear of the group to analyze the situation as the others step forward to speak to the "merchant". Imperceptibly, Hound begins to growl, sensing his master's unease.

Something about those hands...backwards...something...

Perception check=54 (Natch!)
Insight check=30 (lol, another Natch!)

O.O.C. - Passive Nature (27) on the backwards hands?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:OOC: What race is he?
He appears human (except the hands).
His complexion is ruddy and his goatee is very black.

Davin wrote:Davin subtly slips to the rear of the group to analyze the situation as the others step forward to speak to the "merchant". Imperceptibly, Hound begins to growl, sensing his master's unease.

"Something about those hands...backwards...something..."

Verity wrote:Verity presses through the throngs with his comrades, until this merchant of the exotic calls their bluff.
"After you, merchant, that we may judge the authenticity of your offerings."
Diplomacy: 30
Straegis wrote:Straegis carefully looks over and tries to get a read on our new "acquaintance", especially interesting to him are the strangers hands. Sensing his ally's impatience with the merchant, Straegis steps up and says, "Things of particular interest you say? Hmmm, let's see if our definitions of interesting match. Show us to your wares, eh...friend?
"See hear, see hear," he says the both, revealing a tiny glass vial; a vial that appears empty. "This hear is liquid silence, if you get my meaning. How much could it be worth to you, given your obvious need for such a treasure?"

The man seems eager to make a profit, but Straegis's has never heard of anybody with hands like this (even after Davin points them out) ... still, his clothes seem to be in the style of the Eastern peninsula.

OOC: Straegis's Insight and Perception rolls were too low to help here, and History was the wrong skill for the task (though I threw in a little something about his clothes for you). Verity's diplomacy roll is the reason he's asking for a price instead of demanding one, though he obviously intends to haggle.

Mordax wrote:Mordax appraises the merchant in an instant, noting the posture of one who has the upper hand. Subconsciously stroking his mallet, the fisherman takes a surprising lead. "Aye, laird, an jus' tha' man we were lookin' fer'. Tis' yer' wares we seek, an' mony a coin will we drop fer' yer' discretion. We're seekin' a map, so we are, a valuable commodity in these dark times, says we."

With a wink he continues in an odd patois ne'er heard before by the companions. "Whe'v came by backroads an' bracken', an' we 'ave, an' slain mony a' foe. Why, jus' the o'ter doy whe'v kilt a fish-overlaird, an' 'ave na prolem slayin' ano'ter in oor way. Sell us a map, merchant, an' will serve ye' will. Start a troublin' us, an' will rip yer face off.

Intimidate: 1d20+10=27
The fisherman flashes his purse o' coin, waiting on the balls of his feet for a response.
"Hmm? Indeed, indeed ... I might be able to throw in a map for such fine individuals, as yourselves. It's not my usual trade, but I am well travelled. To where, then, is it, that you seek a map?"

Davin wrote:Perception check=54 (Natch!)
Insight check=30 (lol, another Natch!)
O.O.C. - Take-10 on Nature (27) on the backwards hands?
Perception: The merchant appears to be unarmed, and has wandered rather far from his wares considering the nature of the beings in this place ... still, nobody seems to be bothering his store. Looking past the merchant, and into his tent, Davin sees the severed hands of wood-be thieves hanging from center post of the tent!

Besides severed hands, he seems to have a number of strange and wonderous items for sale: fabrics, figurines, masks, orbs, gems, amulets, broaches, solitaires, jambiyas (curved daggers), and atleast one pair of scimitars.

Insight: Davin suddenly realizes that the other shoppers, at least those who are familiar with this bazaar, regard this merchant with enough respect (fear?) to steer clear of your conversation. Davin studies the merchant, trying to sense some hidden motives or illusory secrets, but senses nothing beyond what has been portrayed; apparently he is entirely genuine in his attempt to blackmail you (because, obviously, he is trying to sell you an empty vial in exchange for his silence).

He may, also, have other things for sale.

Nature: Davin actively searches his memory for anything about backwards hands, and recalls a story he once heard from a traveller in the Malbog ... he begins to wonder if this merchant might be a "Rakshasa."

Traveller in the Malbog wrote:Despite their bestial features, rakshasas are clever, malicious, and sophisticated. Although rakshasas come in many varieties, they all share some common traits, namely their feline heads, backward claws, and taste for luxury.

Rakshasas often conceal their true appearance, using illusion magic to adopt whatever disguises serve them best. They typically masquerade as nobles or wealthy merchants, lying and manipulating other creatures into doing their bidding. Rakshasas prefer to mislead would-be adversaries instead of fighting them, but if combat becomes necessary, rakshasas are
fierce and ruthless.

A rakshasa has the head of a feline predator, usually a tiger, as well as a luxurious coat of fur and clawed hands. It is clothed in fine attire and expensive jewelry. A closer look at a rakshasa reveals that the palms of its hands are where the backs of the hands would be on a human—a subtle feature that adds to the creature’s unsettling appearance.

DC 20 Rakshasas are malevolent, deceptive humanoids with a taste for luxury. They use powerful illusion magic to hide their true forms as they pose as nobles, merchant princes, crime lords, and other wealthy, influential individuals.

Type & Key Words: Medium natural Humanoid.

DC 25: Regardless of type, rakshasas all share one very peculiar trait. Their clawed hands are backwards from other humanoids, so that when a rakshasa stands with its arms at its side, its palms face outward instead of inward. This oddity does not detract from their manual dexterity or ability to wield weapons.

Powers: Claw, Mind Twist, Phantom Lure, Frightful Phantom, Deceptive Veil, Phantom Image.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Religion check for his race: 28
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Religion check for his race: 28
Nothing (wrong skill).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 am

The Witch-King wrote:"A fine vial, says I" replies the soldier, "an' what price set ye on such a bauble? An', as fer' maps, we be needin' a map forward, so te say, oi an' right we do.

OOC: Don't know about you fellas, but I ain't exactly rich. 200gp and some change is all the fisherman has anymore.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:"A fine vial, says I" replies the soldier, "an' what price set ye on such a bauble? An', as fer' maps, we be needin' a map forward, so te say, oi an' right we do.
The merchant prince stares at Mordax for a moment, trying to guess his price.
"4000 of the realm's shiniest gold coins?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - I have 150 gp. The party has...
  • fourteen bone statuettes depicting her angels (worth about 250 gp each)
  • a small velvet pouch holding 64 platinum coins
  • a tiny locked box containing a lone ruby inside (worth 5000 gp)
  • Pair of ornate, matched Drow blades (worth 1000 gp, part of my disguise, currently
  • A bag of mixed gems (a piece of amber, an amethyst, 2 garnets, a moonstone, a finger of jade, 2 pearls, a peridot, and a turquoise) estimated the bag to be worth about 1,000gp

He'll go lower - get some Diplomacy on him Verity!

On the Ritual Component note - we have 1,470 (550 party, 900 Straegis, 20 Vanng) in Mystic Salves. Next level we need 5,000 gp for one Raise Dead. If we can get some Mystic Salves here, we should. We could trade in everything but the swords, and could afford two Raise Deads!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg studies him also.

Dungeoneering: 7+12=19

Insight: 10+18=28

"Ye wants ta sell we an' empty piece o' glass ta keep ye mouth shuts?"

Vangg looks to the others, then turns back to the merchant.

"Mayhap me friends 'ere shoulds cut ye cursespitter out an' put dat on backwards toos?"

The dwarf sees the merchant's move as very prideful. Vangg appears outraged - the party begins to see a side of Vangg they have never witnessed before. He steps closer to the merchant.

"Ye arroganceness 'as struck an nerve . . ."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:00 am

Halcyon wrote:"He-he. My comrade doesn't necessarily want to disfigure you and leave you for dead. However it has been a long day and his temper is short. I'm sure you understand.
"We have more need for mystic salves than we do for your silence. Perhaps we can yet come to a mutually amicable arrangement. Have you any to offer, merchant?"

Diplomacy: 32, using Astral Speech
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Sir, you can't possibly mistake us for the type who would have that quantity of coin, even for such a fine vial as the one you have shown us. Perhaps a more amicable price is in order? Or maybe you would consider a trade of some sort?"

Diplomacy(to Assist Verity?): 1d20=14+5(half-lvl)=19

O.O.C.: Straegis has 122 gold and a few random coins, as far as items i'd sell, a standard set of leather armor, a light shield and a +2 adamantine longsword if noone wants/needs the transfer enchantment from it. Oh, and if this feline fenster doesn't speak any other languages...I have two leather tomes written in Iokharic and Davek, that with a good bluff roll could possibly be sold as "valuable" writings of historical significance?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"Ye wants ta sell we an' empty piece o' glass ta keep ye mouth shuts?"
Vangg notices that several passersby perk up their ears at this interesting bit of information; a couple of Orcs heading in one direction, an enormous cyclops heading in the other. The cyclops momentarily wrinkles his brow, as if questioning the varacity of your outfits, but turns to continue on his own path.

Vangg wrote:Vangg looks to the others, then turns back to the merchant.
"Mayhap me friends 'ere shoulds cut ye cursespitter out an' put dat on backwards toos?"

He steps closer to the merchant. "Ye arroganceness 'as struck an nerve . . ."
"Oh, Master Duergar, sir ... it is not arrogance that motivates me, but rather the opportunity to provide service to those who need it ..." he says, indicating the monstrous crowd with a wave of his malformed hand.

Vangg wrote:Vangg studies him also.
Insight: 10+18=28
Vangg senses the merchant's agitation, and realizes that he's growing impatient with the party's insolence. The merchant is indeed prideful; but instead of letting this interchange escalate to violence, he'd rather impress upon you the precariousness of your situation (no doubt so that he may profit from it).

Straegis wrote:"Sir, you can't possibly mistake us for the type who would have that quantity of coin, even for such a fine vial as the one you have shown us. Perhaps a more amicable price is in order? Or maybe you would consider a trade of some sort?"

Diplomacy(to Assist Verity?): 1d20=14+5(half-lvl)=19
Verity wrote:"He-he. My comrade doesn't necessarily want to disfigure you and leave you for dead. However it has been a long day and his temper is short. I'm sure you understand."

"We have more need for mystic salves than we do for your silence. Perhaps we can yet come to a mutually amicable arrangement. Have you any to offer, merchant?"

Diplomacy: 32, using Astral Speech
"Unlike your comrades, you two seem to appreciate the value of good manners; yet, still, you may not fully appreciate the value of silence, here and now. If you take a moment to take stock of your situation, I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, your freinds' outburst has caused the price to go up! 6000 gold pieces."

"... but, the again, we MAY be able to come to a more agreeable bargain. Let's see, shall we? So, then, a map and a few salves, eh? I may be able to procure those, for YOU, good sir, but I will need time to procure them; not long, a few minutes, at most. How much salve do you require? And what have you to trade?"

Passive Insight (All): Obviously, threatening to raise the price to 6000 was meant to illicit the respect he thinks he deserves. His last statements indicate that he will, in fact, lower the price if some other deal can be made. But he will not tolerate being disrespected for much longer.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

OOC: Just to be clear: You guys are standing at the top of a bridge, in the midst of a subterranean bazaar, surrouded by denizens of the underdark (and disguised to look like you belong here). I just wanted to make sure that was clear.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Just to be clear: You guys are standing at the top of a bridge, in the midst of a subterranean bazaar, surrouded by denizens of the underdark (and disguised to look like you belong here). I just wanted to make sure that was clear.

OOC: Crystal.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 am

magicspellz12 wrote:"I have some alchemical components I could trade" Tightlipped Alex drops his bag of alchemical items into Verity's hand.

-----------
140 Alchemical Reagents. I've ditched alchemist so who cares? Sell what you like I don't need any of those things, but get us out of here!

DM EDIT: Aren't Alchemical Reagents what you need to cast Rituals which have Arcana as a key skill? I think they are; see page 300 in the PHB. You MIGHT want to hang onto those.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Can we get a map?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:“You are clearly a sensible businessman. We have need for as many arcane components as you can gather up to 100 Platinum sovereigns in value, and a map that covers the passages in this direction. We’ll be happy to come with you to help procure and carry that which we seek. It’s the least we can do, after getting off on the wrong foot as we did.”

Diplomacy: 36 + any diplomatic aid.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Can we get a map?
OOC: Ugg. Not a complete battlemap for the entire cavern, no. This scene will be extremely difficult to map out, because I don't have tents or boats ready for this type of map, the area is huge (almost 300,000 squares), and an entire bazaar-full of moving miniatures would be needed (which is not only a pain, but would obscure much of the map, anyway).

But I'll see if I can come up with SOMETHING

EDIT: Here is a simple/basic hand-drawn map. I didn't place all the people, tents, or boats. Each of the little squares on this map is 100 combat squares (10x10) and ecah of the big squares is 10 000 squares (100x100). The bridge angles up to maybe 100 feet above the water, where it levels out for awhile; ou guys are just past the point where it levels out. Tents are arranged on both sides of the bridge, as well as the ground near the cavern entrances.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 2 AV1fEX4i

EDIT: Axtually, where it says "River Outlet" it should say "River Inlet" ... the Outlet is directly across the map from that.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg steps away from the situation (a few feet), trying to contain himself from smiting the merchant. He silently prays for ill will to fall upon the being.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“You are clearly a sensible businessman. We have need for as many arcane components as you can gather up to 100 Platinum sovereigns in value, and a map that covers the passages in this direction. We’ll be happy to come with you to help procure and carry that which we seek. It’s the least we can do, after getting off on the wrong foot as we did.”

Diplomacy: 36 + any diplomatic aid.
"100 Platinum worth of assorted mystic salves and one hand drawn map? That can be arranged, I supposed. And perhaps I can throw in the silence for free," he adds with a wink.

He forms an unusual gesture with his hand and holds it up high, as he walks back to his tent. As if in response, a hideously deformed creature hobbles over to him from behind the tents. He whispers something to the pitiful being, who then runs off into the crowd. Vangg gets the impression this creature is some kind of a gofer; Davin overhears enough of what is said to come to the same conclusion.

The merchant waves Verity and Straegis into the tent, and says "So, how will we be paying for this?" as he begins to scribble out a rough sketch of the surrounding tunnels.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"A fine bargain."
Verity pays with the ruby and makes up the remainder in Platinum.
"I'm sure you'll agree the stone is worth at least half your price.
"I never got your name sir. How might we call you should our travels bring us back this way? And have you any other items that might aid our journey?"

Diplomacy: 30 + any aid.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"A fine bargain." Verity pays with the ruby and makes up the remainder in Platinum. "I'm sure you'll agree the stone is worth at least half your price."
Diplomacy: 30 + any aid.
"Indeed."

Verity wrote:"I never got your name sir. How might we call you should our travels bring us back this way? And have you any other items that might aid our journey?"
"Nikumbha. And yours, good sir? It is a pleasure doing business with you."

"Yes, yes. Please, take a look at my other wares, as we wait for your salves to be delivered. I have many fine fabrics, figurines, masks, orbs, gems, amulets, broaches, solitaires, jambiyas, and scimitars ..."

He continues, describing the properties of all his merchandise, and naming his price for each ...

For sale ...

• Expensive fabrics. Very nice, but mundane. Prices vary.
  • A variety of magical figurines which, accrding to him, become real upon command. The assortment includes: An obsidian steed (2000 gp), an ebon fly (8400 gp), a pearl sea horse (8400 gp), a marble elephant (10,000 gp), a bloodstone spider (18,000 gp), an ivory goat of travail (18,000 gp), and a golden lion (26,000 gp).
  • A number of exotic masks, including: A serpentine mask that allows the wearer to slither free of harm (18,000 gp), a frightful demonic mask (42,000 gp), an iron skull mask (50,000 gp), and a velvet mask that sports the holy symbol of Avandra (250,000 gp).
  • A selection of crystal Orbs, all of which he describes as "Orbs of Kharmic Resonance" (34,000 gp each)
  • a variety of mudane gem stones (ranging from 100 gp to 5000 gp)
  • Reportedly magical brooches: a brooch that supposedly absorbs attacks (34,000 gp), a brooch that supposedly bolsters your allies (34,000 gp), and a brooch that supposedly bolsters your lifeforce (50,000 gp)
  • In a seperate case from the gems, he has crystals. he claims each contains a unique powerful energy: The aquamarine (90,000 gp), the Cerulean (450,000 gp), the Cinnabar (3600 gp), the Citrine (18,000 gp), and the Violet (2,250,000 gp).
  • A collection of rare Jambiyas from the Eastern Peninsula: The Bilethorn Jambiya (42,000 gp), the Bloodthirsty Jambiya (34,000 gp), a Lucky Jambiya (34,000 gp), and a Jambiya of Withering (34,000 gp).
  • Finally, he has a lone pair of matching Scimitars, which at first, are outright stated as "beyond your budget" ... but after some prodding, he reveals that the are "enchanted to slice off the head of any foe!" (12,500,000 for the set).

He concludes with "But for you, my friend, HALF price. On anything you'd like to ADD to our existing agreement."

Passive Insight (Vangg): Vangg gets the impression that he may be overstating the power of a few of these items, but for the most part, he's on the up and up.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Agreed Sir Nikumbha, we can only hope this vial works as well as you described." He winks slyly at the merchant and continues, "If our journey continues unhindered, we would certainly have more coin to spare on our return, and that would be a much better time to stop and peruse the remainder of your wares."

Diplomacy(to Assist): 1d20=15+5(half-lvl)=20
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 am

Halcyon wrote:“Indeed we may seek to barter again another day. Or if you’re clever as you seem and have the resources to make use of it, we’ve information that could turn a tidy profit for a shrewd merchant like you."

The death knight leans forward and continues in a hushed, conspiratorial tone, each word charged with intrigue. “Not far from here stand three great doors; doors with untold treasures beyond. They are warded by riddles. What treasure lie beyond are unknown, for to try the door without the riddle has meant the death of any who dared. We can answer for you the riddles to pass through and back in exchange for one of these items."

“To sweeten the deal we know too the location of a vast horde of surface dwarves, 10,000 strong and massed for war. Why they mass where they do, we know not, but surely their whereabouts shall pique the interest of their enemies here."

"Of the information we can offer, I’m sure you know I’ll speak true. To dare otherwise when you alone called our ruse would be foolhardy at best. So, Nikumbha, clearly you are skilled at amassing wealth. Care to make vastly more? Why, nearly anything here would be worth such information, secrets others would die to know. What say you? What will you offer for what we can tell?”

Diplomacy: 43
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next