Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 10 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Not trusting to the likes of speaking lizards, Mordax pushes ahead to the pool, tapping his trident on the marble floor ahead of him. He'll grab a branch with fresh green on it to dip in the "water", having experienced first-hand the dangers of the bog.

As he's walking, he asks "Water bender, do ye' sense any trouble wi' yonder pool?"

What is that, passive insight or perception?
Passive =13; 1d20=10
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 10 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis tries to read the maps while following Davin, making mental notes as to where they came from and which general direction they are heading. He pays especially close attention to where our current bearing will take us if we continue too far.
Perception=19
You are roughly a mile south of where you left Vangg, and roughly a league west of the path you had been following.

macksgarageusa wrote:When we get to the black dragons lair, to see if I recognize anything (on the map or on the terrain as we approach). History=18
It's not immediately familiar, but you DO know that many armies have had outposts in the bog: most notably the Eladrin, the Dragonborn, and the Tielfings (but also Humans and Elves). Once you reach the ruins, you do see a spot on one of the maps that is roughly in this position and labelled "Pool of Abomination."

The Pool of Abomination?
Passive Arcana: That sounds like some star-fated scrying pool. The kind you DON'T want to mess with.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Following Mordax's lead, I carefully inspect the surroundings.

Perception check = 24

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Following Mordax's lead, I carefully inspect the surroundings. Perception check = 24
A glint of sunlight reflects to your eye from the "room" in the southwest corner.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:05 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 10 Triumvirate

OOC: lol that's the first time the "Triumvirate's" assembled in as long as I can remember - leave it to a dragon's hoard . . .
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Let me take a look"

Alex peers into the water, and stretches out his hands, sensing for magic.

-----------
Arcana: Arcana 26
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:leave it to a dragon's hoard
OOC: Hahaha.
The Witch-King wrote:What is that, passive insight or perception?
Passive =13; 1d20=10
That would actually be an "Active" Check ... A "Passive" check occurs without any action on the player's behalf; the DM just tells the player what his character knows/notices. A Passive check always has the same total AS IF a 10 had been rolled on the die (much like Taking-10 on an Active check).
_____

magicspellz12 wrote:"Let me take a look"
Alex peers into the water, and stretches out his hands, sensing for magic.
Arcana: Arcana 26
Alex detects magic all around him. The pool is emanating some type of magical aura, but without witnessing its effects, it is nigh impossible to identify it. He also detects several more magical auras in the southwest "room" of the area.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex doesn't take his eyes off the pool, one hand still focused upon it. The other points to the southern room. "Check in there. I sense magic."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Swifthand wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 10 Triumvirate

OOC: lol that's the first time the "Triumvirate's" assembled in as long as I can remember - leave it to a dragon's hoard . . .

O.O.C. - lol...nice!

I move ahead into the area the Alex point's out.

Perception check = 31
Stealth check = 28

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:i move ahead into the area the Alex point's out.
Perception check = 31
31 eh?
Davin moves to the one standing room of the ruined structure, and examines it carefully. Across entrance and in the first few yards of the room, Davin notices a web of super-fine wires; trip wires. Glaring into the darkness, he sees the far wall is littered with small holes; dart holes.

Disabling all of the wires would be extremely difficult; getting into the room without touching any might prove even more challenging.

In the room beyond, however, Davin sees a number of intriguing items: sturdy boots with rune covered steel toes; a common cogoule; a gilden bit and bridle; an unusually large bow; some type of polearm; a fist-sized gem-stone with a silvered rune in the face; four gem-studded silver chalices; a gold statuette; a gold crown ringed with black pearls and aquamarines; and an open chest containing thousands of gold coins.

And this is what the dragon left behind?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin stares long and hard at the web of tripwires crisscrossing the room, trying to find an avenue to bypass them. Eventually, I sigh, shaking my head.

"The loot is trapped. Heavily. I don't think I can make it over there without tripping a wire, and I know I wouldn't make it back, laden with the treasure."

Suddenly, his eyes narrow.

"I have an idea."

I leave the ruins and climb up to the roof, moving to the southwest corner, above the treasure.

How ruined is the ruins' roof? I will test with my shortsword, chopping at it a bit.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:01 pm

The Witch-King wrote:"A wyrm doesn't have the delicate touch to leave such a surprise" says the fisherman, "so who does? Who left the traps?"
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Malazek wrote:The standing chunks of ruin are still rather strong, though not as stable as they once might have been. It's uneven exterior is easy to climb (DC 15), but Davin's sword does very little damage to it (6 hps) ... still, he thinks he can pound a hole into it with a little persistance (Break DC 35; 3 AC, 3 Reflex, 15 Fortitude; 125 remaing HPs).

Some quick math: it'll take 20 rounds or so to "dig" through it.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:02 pm

Swifthand wrote:Chop-chop-chop, all day long, chop-chop-chop while I sing this song...

Chiseling away...

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Malazek wrote:All day long? Haha ...

Davin chips away the stone. The small pieces soon give way to large chunks, as pieces of stone fall away into the room below. Just over two minutes later, Davin has "chiselled" a hole into the ceiling big enough to climb through.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:05 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Let me try something..." Alex forms a ghostly hand out of water, it hovers tentatively before the room, shaking in the air. "Erm...perhaps not. Good luck Davin!"

--------
Mage hand
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I secure my rope to the jagged edge of the ruin's wall and climb down, beginning the process of removing the booty from the room.

I assume this is gonna take more than a few trips..and getting the gold out is gonna be a trick.

P.S. - I said "booty".

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Davin has no trouble getting most of the stuff out of the room.
The gold, like he said, is going to be tricky.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"I can use some of the ritual components I purchased to construct a stable disc of ice. It might help in getting that rather large chest out of the room. Otherwise we could be here for days."

------
Alex tells the group of his plan. He'll hide behind a wall and telekinetically direct the disc into the room, Davin must be out of the room at the time. After setting off the trap, Davin climbs in his normal way and loads up the disc, and then Alex steers it out again, laden with treasure.

So, what about it, shall we cast Tensers or not?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Swifthand wrote:"Sounds perfect."

I follow Alex's directions after the other items have been removed.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Don't think I'll need any help with this one"

Alex pulls out a bowl from his backpack and fills it with water, spends a few minutes chanting and adding special herbs and a few coloured liquids, the final product is a purple fluid, that almost glows. Alex raises his hands and the liquid rises from the bowl to form a slightly bowl shaped disc 3 feet across and hovering above the ground.

"I can direct it with my mind. Everyone out of the way. Davin, when it bumps against the back wall, you can go in and fill it up providing it's not been melted by a jet of fire-which it should withstand anyway, but you never know- a cone of anti-magic-do those even exist as traps- or caused the treasure to explode."

Once everyone has moved out of the way, Alex turns around and braces his back against the wall. Closing his eyes, he steers the shining purple ice disc into the room slowly and carefully. Awaiting whatever trap might be triggered.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Davin tosses the larger items up through the hole he created, and with everyone helping it doesn't take long to bring them down again; safely circumventing the trap.

When the ice disk enters the ruined structure, it trips the wires causing dozens of barbed darts to shoot forth from the walls. Thankfully, Alex had the foresight to tell Davin to get out first. Climbing back in, he loads the chest full of gold onto the disk, and climbs out once more. The disk triggers the trap again on the way out, so as the gold emerges it has several nasty projectiles inbedded in its nasty sides.

Byt now, Straegis has already begun to examine the items. Alex joins him when the disk stunt is complete. With everyone helping (playing with the new toys, or whatever) you all quickly determine the nature of the booty. (Cooperative Arcana 30; Cooperative History 31).

Dragon's Horde wrote:Gig of Regig
This gig (three-tined spear) once belonged to Regig, the Lizard King. In the days of Arkhosia, the Lizard King united many of the Malbog’s tribes to serve as guerilla troops under the banner of their draconic cousins. In the end, however, the guerilla troops turned on their Arkhosian oppressors, and have been credited by some as “instrumental” in the fall of the ancient empire. The weapon itself takes flight when hurled, and travels much further than a normal leister; always returning to the hand of its user afterwards.
Lvl 6 +2 (1,800 gp)
Weapon: Trident
Enhancement: +2 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: None
Property: Increase the weapon’s normal range by 5 squares and the long range by 10 squares.

Ator’s Bow
Mounted raiders known as the “the Scourge of the Malbog” once roamed these parts, preying on farmers and fishermen. This bow may have once belonged to their leader, Ator of the Hunt; but more likely it belonged to one of his sub-commanders.
Lvl 5 +1 (1,000 gp)
Weapon: Great Bow
Enhancement: +1 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 poison damage
Power (Daily ✦ Poison): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes an ongoing 5 poison damage and is weakened (save ends both).

Gangor’s Bridle
Mounted raiders known as the “the Scourge of the Malbog” once roamed these parts, preying on farmers and fishermen. This bridle was once worn by Gangor; one of Ator’s many personal steeds.
Item Slot: Mount (1,000 gp)
Power (Encounter): No Action. Use this power at the beginning of an encounter before you roll initiative. The mount you are riding rolls an initiative check using your initiative modifier. If its check is higher than your check, you can use the mount’s result in place of your own.

The Cagoule of Marjack
The arcane symbols subtly etched into the threading of this raincoat provide a hint of its history, and its purpose. The jacket probably belonged to Marjack, a local hero who was known for slaying giants, as well as the mansion he built with the treasures he stole from them.
Lvl 8 +2 (3,400 gp)
Armor: Cloth (Cagoule)
Enhancement: +2 AC
Property: During a short rest or an extended rest, you can store one at-will or encounter martial power in your armor that you or an ally has. You can have only one power stored in the armor at a time.

The cagoule cannot store a power of higher level than the armor. You cannot use a power stored in the armor if the power’s level is higher than yours. Once the power is used, another power must be stored in the armor before it can be used again. If a new power is stored before the old one is used, the old exploit is lost.

Power (Daily): Standard Action. Use the power stored in your armor. If it is an encounter power, you must spend 1 action point to use it.

The Ninth Polyglot Gem
Within its many facets, this intricately carved gemstone holds the secrets of the Supernal language.
Wondrous Item 1,800 gp
Property: Each polyglot gem contains the knowledge of one language, chosen when the item is created; the ninth gem contains the Supernal language spoken by angels, devils, and even gods. As long as you carry the gem on your person, you are able to speak, read, and write Supernal fluently. But, if you carry more than one polyglot gem on your person, none of them function.

Special: If you create a polyglot gem, you can imbue it only with a language you know.

Goblin Stompers
Created deep within the Bitten Peaks, these boots allow their Dwarven creators to keep up with their hated Goblin foes.
Item Slot: Feet 1,800 gp
Power (Encounter): Immediate Reaction. Use this power when a melee attack misses you. Shift 1 square.

And ...

Four Gem-studded Silver Chalices (worth 1000 gp as a set)
A Gold Statuette depicting Io the Dragon god (worth 1500 gp)
A Gold Crown, Ringed with Black-pearls and Aquamarines (worth 2500 gp)
and an open Chest containing thousands of gold coins (1970 gp)
Also, you get 291 XPs for the Dragon and 83 for the trap, bringing everyone to 4617.
That was also a milestone, so you regain 1 Action Point

Afterwards, Davin is a tad dismayed to find his underused shortsword slightly bent and a significantly dented. But he can probably fix it after a few hours with a whetstone.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"So much gold. I'm glad we've got the disc to help us get it back to the wagon." Alex's eyes shine. His share of this fortune should be more than enough to learn or pay for a sending ritual. Brilliant.

"Davin. May I borrow, ahem, have, your waterskin. I want to take some of that water for study."

As I'm sure Davin will comply, Alex then uses mage hand to fill the waterskin with water from the pool. Should nothing awful happen, he seals it with his ghostly water hand and attempts to wash and dry it with the normal water from his own waterskin.

--------
Mage Hand and Prestidigitation.
--------

Alex then stays within the centre of the group once more, taking the Supernal Gem and pocketing it if no one minds, and wearing the foolishly ornate crown when they near the wagon just to give Vanng a shock!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Halcyon wrote:“A fine find! What wonders the dragon must have escaped with, to think these magiked items unimportant enough to be left behind.” Verity replaces Zephyr’s bridle. “Without further ado then, time doth not wait for us and we’ve the urgent matter of that scroll.”
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Swifthand wrote:I lend my waterskin to Alex, flicking two gold coins into the pool for luck. Returning to the wagon, Davin divides the gold.

Everyone add 328 gold.

"If no one minds, I would like to practice with this enormous bow."

Picking up the greatbow, which stands almost as tall as I am, I try to shoot at a tree, missing by more than a yard.

"Hmm."

I sight again, draw, and shoot, this time squarely hitting the center of the old willow.

I nod to myself, stow the greatbow on the wagon, retrieve my arrows, and then jump up on the wagon, grasping the reins, waiting for the others to join me.

O.O.C. - I can't use the greatbow yet, but I don't think anyone else can, either. However, I do plan on taking the weapon proficiency at 6th level.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 23  Next