Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 16 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 16 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:He turns to Alex and says "Can you quickly give me a hand, we need to open this scrollcase and I want to see if it is magically sealed."

Arcana=24
O.O.C.: I took my Arcana roll +2 from Alex. Can Alex also roll with +2 from me?
Yes and No. He can Aid OR Roll (not both) and so can you ... but you've got enough to time to make two attempts (taking turns making the roll and aiding one another).

Concentrating on the scroll case, Straegis DOES detect the presence of magic; furthermore (you can't identify which spell/ritual, though, until you see the effect). Still, knowin what he knows, Straegis could guess that the whatever magic IS on it, is either a trap or something designed to obfuscate the message (there are several likely options).
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 16 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Swifthand wrote:Assuming that Mordax joins us (or after a suitable time looking for him without him joining us), I follow Straegis's direction to the first inn I see in whatever district he leads us to that has a place adjoined for the wagon and horses and is large, perhaps with interior (no windows) rooms.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:As the wagon rolls Straegis tries to keep an eye on the streets and follow along on the map, his view is obstructed by the flap but he does his best to stay keen and remain out of sight. He is especially looking for an unassuming inn.
Streetwise=18
Davin wrote:Assuming that Mordax joins us (or after a suitable time looking for him without him joining us), I follow Straegis's direction to the first inn I see in whatever district he leads us to that has a place adjoined for the wagon and horses and is large, perhaps with interior (no windows) rooms.
Before too long, y'all roll up to a massive structure with a sign above that door that reads "The Hound's Tooth." It appears to be five stories high, and has an attached carriage house big enough for atleast four wagons and maybe a dozen horses!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Swifthand wrote:I slow the wagon as we approach the inn.

"Sor oli maes merardi." (This one seems suitable.) "The Hound's Tooth."

"I will take care of the wagon and team and meet you in the common room."

I will stop the wagon in front of the door, allowing the others to get off, and then drive into the carriage house, finally getting off the streets! I want to...
  • Take care of the team myself (water, feed, check hooves, ect.).
  • Work the team through their daily combat training. (Sometime tonight when we have a spare hour, maybe while Alex copies scrolls?)
  • Tip the stable master a sizable sum to allow for the two prior items and to ask him to keep a keen eye on the wagon for us, and alert us if anything shady goes on (20 gp).
  • Take the Greatbow in the room with us (not leaving the magic bow in the wagon unattended).

After attending to the wagon and teams lodging, I rejoin the others in the common room.

"I have an idea. Perhaps I should case that other inn the dwarves mentioned, just to see who shows up? I can move fast and unnoticed alone."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I will stop the wagon in front of the door, allowing the others to get off, and then drive into the carriage house, finally getting off the streets! I want to...
  • Take care of the team myself (water, feed, check hooves, ect.).
  • Tip the stable master a sizable sum to allow for the two prior items and to ask him to keep a keen eye on the wagon for us, and alert us if anything shady goes on (20 gp).
  • Take the Greatbow in the room with us (not leaving the magic bow in the wagon unattended).
"Ya wanna what? Take care o' the ho'ses yousealf? Shoo'thang." The stableboy tends to the steeds of the Inn's other patrons as Davin grooms, waters, and feeds the team. When Davin hands him a rather generous tip, the boy says "Thank ye, sir! I'll keep a close watch on YER team. If anything outs-da-or'nary should happen, I'll come an' getcha!!"

Davin wrote:After attending to the wagon and teams lodging, I rejoin the others in the common room. "I have an idea. Perhaps I should case that other inn the dwarves mentioned, just to see who shows up? I can move fast and unnoticed alone."
By the time Davin enters the common room, the group has obtained a large (but typical) suite for the low, low price of 1 gold piece. Some members of the party are still in the common room waiting for Davin, others have wandered up to your rooms (OOC: Sound off, please).

The suite contains two bedrooms, each with a set of bunk beds, adjoined by a connecting living space. The living space has a single leather sofa, as well as a large wooden table flanked by two low benches. An empty wash basin hangs on the wall, should anyone need to use it.

Davin wrote:Work the team through their daily combat training. (Sometime tonight when we have a spare hour, maybe while Alex copies scrolls?)
Assuming he was waiting until nightfall to check out the Beholder's Stein, Davin has plenty of time during the afternoon to run the team through some training; though the cramped space of the carriage house (and indeed the city as a whole) makes things more difficult than they otherwise would be.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex seats himself quickly at the table and pulls up a bench, beginning to copy Eye of Alarm (how long will this take?).

"Yes Davin. Probably a good idea to go and investigate that other inn. The dwarves I spoke too were dressed in [Alex fills them in on the details of the dwarves whilst his pen still runs along the page]..." He shakes the quill, and adds more ink. "But don't assume they're looking to tail us or anything, they could just be looking for me."

OOC: Would it be possible for Kayal and Swifty to organise this adventure outside of here and then post it. Feels like things have been rather dull of late -what with the 4 day shop adventure!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:how long will this take?
8 Hours

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex fills them in on the details of the dwarves whilst his pen still runs along the page
"Two prestine looking Dwarves ... one with shining arms and armor, the other with embroidered robes and a stout staff. Their dark brown braided beards held in place by gilded beard jewelry."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis volunteers to take the couch since he won't technically be sleeping anyway. While he sits there he keeps looking
over the scrollcase. "Alex, please take a look at this, see if you can discern this magic before I open this seal. I would hope to have some idea of the consequences beforehand."

O.O.C.: Would Alex have any better chance to recognize?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Would Alex have any better chance to recognize?
No. Straegis successfully detected that it WAS magic ... but without witnessing the magical EFFECT, identifying it is impossible. He knows some kind of magic has been cast on it, but he isn't sure what kind; and neither is Alex (you also know that the magic is under 8th level, because you detected it with a roll of 24 (see page 181).

Straegis II wrote:Straegis volunteers to take the couch since he won't technically be sleeping anyway. While he sits there he keeps looking over the scrollcase. "Alex, please take a look at this, see if you can discern this magic before I open this seal. I would hope to have some idea of the consequences beforehand."
Okay, so Straegis sits on the couch where he will "sleep" and looks at the scrollcase ... does this mean the case is still unopened when it gets dark? Or will he open it before that?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Halcyon wrote:Upon entering the room Verity hones and oils his sword and waxes the string of his crossbow. Relieved to be coming back to himself he lies down and tries to sleep, but thoughts of his brothers, cryptic messages, and whatever the hell happened at the shop keep intruding on his overdue rest. Seeing that Straegis may open the scroll case, Verity draws a deep breath to clear his head and stands, steeling himself to whatever may come.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex initially helps Straegis sense the magic on the scroll case in the wagon, by removing the stray strands of mana that congrigate within the air, allowing Straegis to more clearly recognise the shapes that the trap/enchantment/other that affects the scroll case.

After being vaguely un-groundbreaking with the knowledge. Alex has an attempt himself, but his concentration fumbles.

When they get back to the Inn however, with time on their side, before he sets his mind to the task of transferring rituals, he has another go, along with Straegi's help though, it's probably unlikley that such an important scroll would contain weak enough magic to decipher with their limited skills. Such importance probably is ensconced within high level magical protections, possibly even multiple ones, so Alex doubts he can find out what might be the problem here, but he tries in any case.

---------------
Previous attempts: 19 to Help Straegis; 16 to perform identification himself. Rolls
Take 10 Arcana: 22 +2 Straegis; = 24 to 'Identify the magical power/effect

If he can't decipher it, he would caution against opening it. Telling of giant maelstroms of fire, blasts of lightning, or simply destruction of the scroll upon opening.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Staring long and hard at the male eldarin, Mordax stands, offers his hand, and says "I hope oor paths ne'er cross again in haste nor anger, friend."

He then walks out the door and trails far enough behind the companions that he'll surprise anyone who starts trouble. Mordax enters the common room a few minutes after the party and finds a seat in the corner, back to the wall.

When the group reassembles, he says in a low voice "I think war may be comin' tae the provinces, rather than we tae it. Everywhere I turn I see trouble a'brewin' an' desperate faces. When tha' capital city is gripped in a near panic, it broods ill indeed fer tha' future."

Pausing long enough to order a pint o' ale, he continues "Also, would tha' eldarin be havin' cause tae stalk ye? Methinks I just had a conversation wi' two assassins lookin' fer ye'."

Shrugging, he says "Thought ye should know."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Swifthand wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:"Also, would tha' eldarin be havin' cause tae stalk ye? Methinks I just had a conversation wi' two assassins lookin' fer ye'."

Shrugging, he says "Thought ye should know."

"Yes. Though it is not my business to tell", looking around suspiciously, "nor the right place for telling. Talk to Straegis."

After tending and training the horses, I wait until the sun begin to set, and, following the directions laid out by Alex and Straegis, make my way to The Beholder's Stein. I stick to the shadows, hood pulled up over my face, keeping a keen eye out for anyone trailing me, suspicious dwarves, or Maor.

Stealth=28
Perception=33
Streetwise=22

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Malazek wrote:Davin slips out of the Inn, and into the streets, sticking to the shadows has he moves toward his destination. He is surprised to find the streets well-lit by lamps and still full of people (though less full than before).

Among the many people he passes, only one pays any attention to him. A tall slender person (an Eladrin or an Elf, maybe) wearing a weathered hooded cloak (similiar to the one you're wearing). That person salutes him as he moves down the street.

He escapes the notices of many others, from all races and creeds. It is difficult for the woodsman to seperate the locals from the visitors.

But eventually he finds The Beholder's Stein, several miles from The Hound's Tooth.

Drop an Endurance roll along with whatever else you decide to do.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Swifthand wrote:I slink into the alley across the street from The Stein and climb on the building's roof, directly across from the Inn's main entrance, crouching down in the shadows, bow next to me, cloak pulled tight. Unmoving, becoming one with the shadows, I watch the Inn silently, looking for my quarry.

Athletics=23
Stealth=29
Perception=30
Endurance=19

O.O.C. - Been awhile since I got to do any roof work, hehehe.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Malazek wrote:Quite a while passes before anything happens, but then Davin sees two Dwarves emerge from the alley. Then, two more. Then, two more. Then, a LOT more. Twelve in total. Most are armored, and carrying traditional Dwarven weapons: crossbows, hammers, axes, picks. In fact, Davin thinks the same two "dead-eyes" are among them, as well as the patch-eyed bolter.

Actually, two of them match the description Alex gave him: splendid brown robes, heavy staves, and dark beards decorated with gold.

Several of them whisper in a tight huddle, but Davin eavesdrops with ease ...
"Let's just crush the whole building."
"No, we need to find out if they're in there."
"Why?"
"Because if we don't, they'll know were onto them."
"Let's just run in and find out."
"No. The Aquamancer is too powerful. He activated a portal."
"How about this. I will go in and look around. If they're there, I'll come get you."

That guy goes in. A few minutes later, he comes back out.
"They're not here!"

The Dwarves grumble, and begin to disperse.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: OMG! now the dwarves are chasing us? mal, you are sumthin' else.

If Davin is gone 4 hours, Straegis will spend the time in trance on the couch.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I quietly follow the dwarves staying to the rooftops as long as possible. When the Dead-Eyed dwarf leader (the one that confronted Mordax, Straegis, and I in the alley) and the group he is with break off from the others, I will climb/jump down to street level, and trail them. Though not used to the traffic and streets of the city, I find after a bit that it is not so different than the wood: I hide behind lamps and hedgerows insteads of trees and brush, and use the people and traffic to disguise my stalking, instead of the creatures and animals of the wood and bog.

Athletics=21
Stealth=27
Perception=30

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Davin follows that subgroup down the street, and soon realizes he's following the same FOUR guys that confronted him earlier! Just past the enormous stone walls that seperate the Three Fishes District from Three Hounds District, they enter a quaint a little Inn: The Grindstone Inn. The guards at the gate see Davin, but pay no attention to him.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Swifthand wrote:I watch The Grindstone Inn for about a half an hour. If the dwarves do not leave, and if nothing else of note occurs, I will return to the Hound's Tooth, again sticking to the shadows, hoping to elude any pursuit.

Stealth=25
Perception=27

Once there, I head to our suite.

"It is as we feared. The dwarves sent us to that Inn to ambush us. I saw the four that confronted us in the alley, and the two you described from the shop, Alex, plus seven others, a dozen in all. I also overheard them - they were planning on a fight, and were not concerned about the Inn's other patrons getting in the way. They are wary of you, though, Alex - they think that you cast the portal that got us here."

Seeing Straegis worriedly eyeing the scrollcase, I ask to inspect it. I look for any signs that is has been trapped, even going so far as sprinkling dust on it, looking for raised or indented lettering or sigils, strange properties to the wax, or an additional compound under the cap seam. I ask everyone's opinion on anything I detect, being very careful not to disturb anything I find (aid for the Perception roll, peeps?).

Perception=34

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I watch The Grindstone Inn for about a half an hour. If the dwarves do not leave, and if nothing else of note occurs, I will return to the Hound's Tooth, again sticking to the shadows, hoping to elude any pursuit.

Stealth=25
Perception=27

Once there, I head to our suite.

"It is as we feared. The dwarves sent us to that Inn to ambush us. I saw the four that confronted us in the alley, and the two you described from the shop, Alex, plus seven others, a dozen in all. I also overheard them - they were planning on a fight, and were not concerned about the Inn's other patrons getting in the way. They are wary of you, though, Alex - they think that you cast the portal that got us here."
OOC: Nice work ... and a Complexity 5 Skill Challenge to boot!
That's 350 XPs each ... bringing everyone to 5258
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Seeing Straegis worriedly eyeing the scrollcase, I ask to inspect it. I look for any signs that is has been trapped, even going so far as sprinkling dust on it, looking for raised or indented lettering or sigils, strange properties to the wax, or an additional compound under the cap seam. I ask everyone's opinion on anything I detect, being very careful not to disturb anything I find (aid for the Perception roll, peeps?).

Perception=34
As far as Davin can tell, this is nor ordinary wax (it appears to be flecked with silver, but is yet smoother than the touch than normal wax). He finds no evidence that the wax or case is trapped ... but that doesn't mean the scroll isn't.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I see only two possibilities with the scroll. We know it has to be delivered tomorrow, so:

1. Open the scroll case. If the scroll inside has a Secret Page on it, we still have a chance to see the real script. I now know that the scrollcase isn't trapped. I can see if the scroll itself is trapped before we open it up; if it is, we decide what to do then. One potential problem - the wax for the seal looks funny. I'm guessing a simply Mending isn't going to work. This option has the greatest chance for us to be completely screwed, and the biggest potential reward.

2. Deliver it to the Imperial High General (whatever the equivalent of Straegis I is amongst the Imps). This is the most likely person that the scroll was supposed to go to, but that usually means that we are wrong and now screwed even more. However, we would get Insight and Perception checks when delivering it, and can adjust our plan accordingly. The only good thing I can think of with this plan is that no humans have hunted us so far, so maybe they are allies. Maybe. lol...

Damned either way. Gut check time, guys. Lets make a choice and roll with it.

Side topic - The Dwarves

• As Halcyon pointed out, the Imperial Captain almost attacked Vangg on our very first night in Brackwater, stating that "...he mistook him for somebody else...". We know that the Captain was carrying a scrollcase and traveling with only two men, way under what should have been his compliment. Secret scroll carrying mission, anyone? And it was obvious that the Captain was wary of dwarves.
  • The dwarves that are following us in the Imperial City had a spy close to us in Brackwater. They knew we had a distinctive wagon. They had descriptions of us. Could it have been the dwarven miner, face down in his stewbowl?
  • Why are they looking for Vangg? I detected that the dwarves were lying about Vangg being a traitor, so that is bunk. My thought? Simple - they want to question him about Straegis. Because Straegis has the scroll. And the dwarves don't want the scroll delivered.
  • Another interesting point - Terramancer's are getting more powerful. Could be bragging, or could be a perfect time to go to war - when your main wizards are uber powerful.
  • The two Maor in the bar that Mordax talked to didn't seem like they were vengeful or duplicitous, on the contrary, they seemed like they were sent to get the real scroll back, because Stragis stole it. This almost leads me to believe that there is no "evil faction" of Eladrin - they are simply reacting to the theft of the scroll.
  • One final thought - the dwarf Terramancer had met Viktor. And the dwarves knew we were in the Imperial City within HOURS of us arriving. The only people who would have known that were Jenna and her crew, Viktor, and the lizardmen. And Viktor just got replaced by Alex for sucking at his job. Revenge by conspiring with the dwarves? Perhaps - though, in his (possible) defense, the Terramancer also thinks that Alex cast the portal...

So, to summerize -
  • No bad Imps so far, Imps are preparing for war, scroll sent to Imps by Stragis I (who we are assuming is a good guy).
  • Possible bad Eladrin (the Maor) or, more likely, they are just reacting to the theft of the scroll. However, there still could be two factions here, one bad, one good. The Eladrin High General was sending a scroll of something to the Imp High General, apparently to help him, we are assuming.
  • Definately alot of bad dwarves. They want to kill us, have been spying on us for some time, and have had contact with Viktor.

YEEEHAAA!!!!

Edit - The spy had to give the dwarves the skinny on us before we got to the lizardman village, because they thought Vangg was still in the back of the wagon when we were confronted in the alley (Vangg separated from us in the lizardman village). This might clear Viktor, or maybe he just couldn't give them all the information, perhaps restricted by his spell, or Jenna being around.

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:24 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"This is perplexing" Alex settles down his pen. "I suggest that tomorrow we seek council with the general. If that is where we think the scroll is meant to go then that is where we shall take it. It's a mighty shame I shan't get my hands on that ritual." He shakes his head, and then sets back down to work, talking as he writes.

"So, what will we do tomorrow then. Try and find the general? Or I suppose I could attempt to trick the dwarves by meeting them? The scroll does need to be delivered tomorrow."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Malazek wrote:With so many question floating around, most of the heroes slowly drift-off to sleep; but it's a tenuous sleep, haunted by anxiety and bad dreams. The next day promises to be one of either great relief, or great frustration.

Though Straegis does not join his companions in their slumber, he does share their worries and concerns; perhaps more so.

But the night passes without incident, and morning spills in through the windows. Birdsong greets you peacefully, as the smell of breakfast drifts up from the common room.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 23 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19 ... 23  Next