Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:16 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: I apologize if my last post (or this one) sounds at all discombobulated; NyQuil kicked in halfway through typing it (you know, the "Nighttime sniffling sneezing coughing wake up on the kitchen floor medicine.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:The party is still a good 50 feet from the orcs, when the EoG starts bellowing: "Ho thar, trav'llers. This here's Mardogc's road, an' t'day we're a-c'llectin' a toll; paid in gold 'r blood, don' matter. So git out yer purses, ladies."

"Weel, 'tis a guid thing ye've caem tae pay us tha' toll fer' speakin' sae freely tae tha' scourge o' tha' dark! Hand o'er yer' weapons an' bedrolls, an' maybe we'll only kill a few o' ya' fer' oor cookpots!" bellows Mordax, brandishing his hammer.

Intimidate: 1d20+10=18 + any bonuses for drow, ogre, mixed company, etc.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg whispers,

"Dis time we 'ave da upper 'ands . . ."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 71/71; AC 22 Fort 20 Ref 23 Will 22; Healing Surges=8/8, SV:17, Action Points=1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 105/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 SV:26, Action Points=1

Insight=14

Do I think they have seen me in the darkness?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:17 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis eyes up the competition and steps forward "Strange you'd say that friend, cuz today we're collectin the tolls, and we don't accept no gold! Don't believe us? Ask your brothers back there, they paid... handsomely! Straegis unsheathes his sword and grins devilishly at the orc before he continues, "Now, you've committed no foul yet, so keep on about your business and we'll consider their payment enough to let you pass."

Intimidate(assist??): 1d20=17+10=27

O.O.C.: Would it be better to assist Mordax on the Intimidate roll or should we both try?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:"Weel, 'tis a guid thing ye've caem tae pay us tha' toll fer' speakin' sae freely tae tha' scourge o' tha' dark! Hand o'er yer' weapons an' bedrolls, an' maybe we'll only kill a few o' ya' fer' oor cookpots!" bellows Mordax, brandishing his hammer.

Intimidate: 1d20+10=22
The Orcs are visibly shaken and step back a little.
"Naw, naw. We thought you was someone else. Of course, YOU can pass. Our apologies, our apologies."

Straegis wrote:Straegis eyes up the competition and steps forward "Strange you'd say that friend, cuz today we're collectin the tolls, and we don't accept no gold! Don't believe us? Ask your brothers back there, they paid... handsomely! Straegis unsheathes his sword and grins devilishly at the orc before he continues, "Now, you've committed no foul yet, so keep on about your business and we'll consider their payment enough to let you pass."

Intimidate (assist Mordax): 1d20=17+10=27
Realization dawns on the EoG's face.

Davin wrote:Insight=14
Do I think they have seen me in the darkness?
The Orcs seem aware of his presence, but are not looking directly at him. So, perhaps they noticed him at some point, but have since lost sight of him? Or maybe they know he's "out there" for some other reason. Either way, they don't seem to know exactly where he's at.

OOC: Isn't Davin travelling with the group, now that their in disguise? I realize he still could've slipped into the shadows once he heard voices ... but I was under the impression he was travelling with the others now. Is he not? I just want to make sure we're all the same page.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:From beneath his hooded robe Alex smiles and raises his eyebrows. He prepares for the moment of tension of the passing of the two groups.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Isn't Davin travelling with the group, now that their in disguise? I realize he still could've slipped into the shadows once he heard voices ... but I was under the impression he was travelling with the others now. Is he not? I just want to make sure we're all the same page.

Nope, still Stealthing (27) just beyond the edge of the light. The only time I wasn't was when we were traveling through the bazaar. Considering Kersh's group's actions, Davin believes that would be more "Drowy", anyway.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 am

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Isn't Davin travelling with the group, now that their in disguise? I realize he still could've slipped into the shadows once he heard voices ... but I was under the impression he was travelling with the others now. Is he not? I just want to make sure we're all the same page.

Nope, still Stealthing (27) just beyond the edge of the light. The only time I wasn't was when we were traveling through the bazaar. Considering Kersh's group's actions, Davin believes that would be more "Drowy", anyway.
OOC: Okay, I wish I had realized that. The party's disguise rolls would have been a tad different. For one, I wouldn't have needed to roll one for Davin. For another, I wouldn't have given the party a +2 bonus for having those Drow swords.

DM EDIT: Looking back, it doesn't seem like that would've changed yesterday's outcome, anyway (the bluff rolls yesterday were mostly high enough that 2 pips didn't change a lot) ... Today's? Well, we'll have to wait and see
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Silent in the deep darkness and crouching behind a half-rotted, wooden chest, Davin slowly pulls his crossbow and takes aim at the EoG, leaning his Greatbow next to him.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: Hmm. I assume the party is pressing on then? Straegis did say "so keep on about your business and we'll consider their payment enough;" so I guess you are. I was waiting to see if Mordax was serious about "pay us tha' toll fer' speakin' sae freely" and "Hand o'er yer' weapons an' bedrolls." But I think it's time to move things along ....
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Cautiously, the party moves past the cowed orcs, who press against the wall trying not to get too close scary ol' Mordax. Racing ahead of the party, Davin peers down the side tunnel where the two orcish runners went, but see nothing of import; just a pitch-dark tunnel winding off into the distance. If there's anything down there, it's far enough to be around the corner.

And the heroes are on their way, yet again.

A half mile or so later, a bloodcurdling roar echoes through the halls, seeming from somewhere behind the party. After a quick glance at the map seems to indicate that the party is deep within the territory of the Bloodshot Eye. Determined to reach their destination, the party picks up the pace (but not enough to appear rushed. Wouldn't want to compromise the disguises).

They keep this pace for nearly a mile, at which point they begin to hear coarse rumble of distant orcish voices closing in behind them. Davin turns to the back of the group with his keen vision, and sees two tiny pin-pricks of red light approaching. The lights are small enough and far enough that the rest of the party can't really see them; Davin surmises them to be flaming arrows, maybe half a mile back.

"Whyfer dey not bloweth da horn an' summon more muckerkin ta blocks us in?"
"Hornses?
"Da Orkies before blow horns an' summon more orkies from all over"

Do the heroes press on, and perhaps run, to avoid whatever comes?
Do they take a stand and hope to fare as well (or better) than last time?
Or is there some other plan this time?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax smiles grimly, and to Straegis says "I've noticed ye' keep yuir stance a bit tight, young Straegis. P'haps noo would be guid time tae show ye' somethin'. See, if ye' widen yuir stance a wee bit, an' place a tad muir weight on yuir back foot, ye' can throw yuir hips moor readily. It's a guid stance tae tak' advantage o' yer foe tryin' tae slip by ye', ye' ken."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 am

151prooftattoos wrote:"If'n us git inta fights up aheads an' what nots, dem bedamned Orcs ta da backs creep ups an' outnumerous us - what we gits fer meanderin' down in da stank depths wheres Kobolds an' Go'bins liveth an' breedeth w' Orckind."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II: HP:74/74 AC:28 Fort:22 Ref:22 Will:19 Healing Surges:8/8 Action Points:1

As they walk, Straegis tries out the techniques Mordax describes to him "Like this?" He thinks to himself that he looks kinda like an oaf when he stands that way, but he realizes the attacks do seem more powerful. Just then his practice is cut short by the bloodcurdling roar. Straegis performs a quick headcount and grabs the map, realizing the potential for danger, he searches the map for the best place to make a stand. He shows the map to Vangg and also asks Tulgaarnuk what he knows of this area. "Help me find the nearest defensible area and lets spend a few minutes blocking it off to narrow down the hall, like last time. That will give us the opportunity to knock out as many enemies as we can before they get into melee range. If we get them to funnel through a small enough area we can then take em down 1 or 2 at a time."

History(maps?): 1d20=17+16=33
Dungeoneering(to Assist): 1d20=17+5(half-lvl)=22

O.O.C. Wasn't sure which skill would best fit trying to search the map, thought it might be a combination of both, edit if necessary.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:History(maps?): 1d20=17+16=33
Dungeoneering(to Assist): 1d20=17+5(half-lvl)=22

O.O.C. [i] Wasn't sure which skill would best fit trying to search the map, thought it might be a combination of both, edit if necessary.
OOC: I agree. It would be a combination of both. Certianly, reading the map and understanding these corridors would be Dungeoneeing; but determining the best defensive action might be history (by recalling the tactics of historical battles, and deciding which of those tactics would be best used in this situation & environment).

Straegis II wrote:He shows the map to Vangg and also asks Tulgaarnuk what he knows of this area. "Help me find the nearest defensible area and lets spend a few minutes blocking it off to narrow down the hall, like last time. That will give us the opportunity to knock out as many enemies as we can before they get into melee range. If we get them to funnel through a small enough area we can then take em down 1 or 2 at a time."
Vangg and Straegis are able to figure out approcximately where the heroes are on the map; but the merchant's drawing is not very detailed. Nonetheless, they are pretty sure the party is deep into Orc territory; any of these side passages could be the home of hundreds of orcs.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 Pq1CHwAr

After a few minutes of searching, Straegis finds a spot with several potential positions for his plan; now it's just a matter of picking the place to dig in and hold your ground.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 GxUnqkA

OOC: Smaller passages and doors do not appear on your map; only the major routes do.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Davin, how well travelled are these side passages? If any have been used recently we may want to block them as well."

Aid History: 5
Aid Dungeoneering: 20
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:"This is a ready place tae make a last stand, me boyos" says the grizzled soldier. Quickly Mordax outlines his plan.
"We barricade a' redoubt, closin' off both sides o' tha' corridor. Tha' lads tha' can attack fraem afar pepper 'em as they close, an' when they get in near we fall back tae tha' room an' squeeze 'em in tae tha' doorway."

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 Pq1ExOr0
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin nods in agreement with the parties tacticians while checking the corridors and side passages for spoor. Once done with that, the Ranger helps set up the barriers.

Perception=44 (natch)

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:After finding a narrow local, as Straegis requested, the party listens as Mordax throws in some last minute additions to the plan; block both directions, and fall back into the smaller room (an even more extreme "funnel" than Straegis could have hope for). So, the party gets to work rearranging rhe debris and creating a sort of barricade in each direction. With Kersh's help, the work goes by much faster than anticipated, and the barricades are quickly piled higher than you originally thought there was time for.

In the meanwhile, Davin checks the doors for any recent signs of passage, and discovers them ALL to be very activate routes. So, at Verity's suggestion, the closest one is blocked off.

Where is everyone positioned?

DM EDIT: Map deleted. See below
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Actually, the bottom baricade should be positioned in row K, not P. Sorry for the confusion. Mordax will stand in I6, to fill any gaps, while he suggests that Straegis stand in I5 to direct the action.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg nods at Taalgarnuk as if saying, "Do what you do best."

"Soundeth goods. Jus' not let da Kobold sets 'is bedamned traps an' what nots . . . besurely keel us alls."

Aid in anyway possible:

Insight: 23 5+18

Dungeoneering: 24 10+14
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:21 am

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Actually, the bottom baricade should be positioned in row K, not P. Sorry for the confusion. Mordax will stand in I6, to fill any gaps, while he suggests that Straegis stand in I5 to direct the action.
Yours was in P, so that's where I drew it. I'll go ahead and move it, now. (But that map took me close to an hour).

Here's the new map. I blocked a second door with the hay bails, now that they won't be compromising the wall.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 5 AV1HooSr

Vangg wrote:Vangg nods at Taalgarnuk as if saying, "Do what you do best." "Soundeth goods. Jus' not let da Kobold sets 'is bedamned traps an' what nots . . . besurely keel us alls."
Taalgarnuk does what he can, giving the limited amount of time and resources he has to work with.

Vangg wrote:Aid in anyway possible:
Insight: 23 5+18
Dungeoneering: 24 10+14
Vangg helps by moving some of the debris, and using his knowledge of construction (dungeoneering) to bolster the walls. The defenses aren't really as solid as he'd like, but considering what you have to work with, this is better than expected.

OOC: FYI. Climbing over the wall is a DC 15. Movement while climbing is at half speed. You grant combat advantage while doing so. If you take damage while climbing, you must make another check or fall (increase the DC by 5 if that damage makes you bloodied). If you fall, you get a chance to "catch hold" and stop your fall; the DC for that is 20 plus the damage you took.

In the meantime, the wall grants cover to anyone behind the wall. When the orcs get close enough, they might also get this bonus; but not now.

So where is everyone positioned??
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex will stand in M4.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin will aid (cannot fail a Thievery aid roll) the Trapmaster and offer some naptha and blackpowder for his traps. Then Davin suggests we put our lights in set spots, to light our whole defensive area, but also allow Davin to take advantage of the darkness.

O.O.C. - What way on the map is are the orcs approaching from? Could you add the lighted area to the map?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - What way on the map is are the orcs approaching from? Could you add the lighted area to the map?
The Orcs are approaching from the bottom of the map.* I can add the lit areas once I know where the lights are (If you guys are setting the lights out, then their placement is up to you; if hound and alex will still be holding them, then I will center the lights on them).

*Same with Nikuhumba's map (fyi). I created this map to correspond with that one. So, north is up
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next