Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 6 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:21 am

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax will stand in J6.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 6 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:22 am

Halcyon wrote:"How long does naptha burn? A wall of fire could kill many of the weakest Orcs as they approach. It out to be a good stone's throw from the barricade that we may attack at range any who make it through."

Verity will use the hammer and pitons from his climbing kit and the loose boards laying about to nail shut as many of the doors as possible and to bolster the barricades.

If there's time, He'll check the barrels to see if there's any combustible lamp oil or strong drink in them that could be of use and ask Kersh to smash some stones free from the wall to slow the Orcs approach [create difficult terrain]. "Wouldn't be the worst thing if it caused a cave in, but make sure you're not caught in it if it does," he adds.

He'll position himself in K5 and ready a crossbow attack at the first worg rider or ranged attacker to get close enough to hit.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Here - someone use this crossbow."

Davin will hand the crossbow off to Mordax or Straegis, whoever wants it. Then, he will remove the sunrod from Hound's barding, and try to stick it into the W6 wall (in a niche or something).

"I need to be closest to them as they approach, for as long as possible. I am going to start beyond the first wall, then fall back as they close the range. Alex, you should join me - we can fall back behind both walls when the orcs begin to close. With you near me, you can see in the dark, and that will give the others more room to fight. Just be sure to douse your light."

O.O.C. - Alex, if you and I fall back to darkness, we will have combat advantage for against anyone who does not have Darkvision.

Davin will crouch in P3, behind the hay, arrow knocked.

Stealth=37 (another natch!)

O.O.C.2 - Remember to leave room for Kersh when positioning! Mal, go ahead and put Hound anywhere within the barriers, just use your judgement based on where everyone else ends up.

Halcyon wrote:Verity will use the hammer and pitons from his climbing kit and the loose boards laying about to nail shut as many of the doors as possible and to bolster the barricades.

When Davin sees Verity get ready to nail the doors shut, he quickly puts up a restraining hand.

"Way too loud down here, my friend - no need to invite anyone else to the party."

Readied action - Twin Strike first adversary(ies) that enter my range (50sq). On the round prior to this action going off, I will designate the triggerer as my Hunter's Quarry.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"How long does naptha burn? A wall of fire could kill many of the weakest Orcs as they approach. It out to be a good stone's throw from the barricade that we may attack at range any who make it through."
With a wink, Taalgarnuk says "Not too ssubtle, though. Me gotss ssomething even better in mind."

Verity wrote:Verity will use the hammer and pitons from his climbing kit and the loose boards laying about to nail shut as many of the doors as possible and to bolster the barricades.
Davin wrote:"Way too loud down here, my friend - no need to invite anyone else to the party."
Does Verity heed Davin's warning?

Verity wrote:If there's time, He'll check the barrels to see if there's any combustible lamp oil or strong drink in them that could be of use
Most of the barrels are empty or filled with straw. A few are full of some putrid fluid, but it ain't oil and you don't want to drink it.

Verity wrote:and ask Kersh to smash some stones free from the wall to slow the Orcs approach [create difficult terrain]. "Wouldn't be the worst thing if it caused a cave in, but make sure you're not caught in it if it does," he adds.
Kersh is the busiest with the heavy lifting involved with building the wall, but when it's finished he'll try to smash free some rubble.

Verity wrote:He'll position himself in K5
On the wall.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis will follow Mordax's lead and drops into formation next to him. He readies his handaxes, setting both of them up on the boxes within his reach. Straegis looks at the crossbow Davin offered, he's familiar with the weapon but has never really used one to kill before. He readies his flame as he stares down the hall, waiting to see the approaching enemies so he knows where to center his attack.

Move: Not sure where Kersh will be, will move accordingly.

O.O.C.: Mordax might be better at that crossbow, I don't mind using it but I have no Dex. mod at all. I want to have scorching burst readied, but not necessarily at the first line, I want to catch as many of them as I can with it. That could mean waiting until they are a few steps closer. I didn't roll attack cuz I don't know how many I will need.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:23 am

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax takes the proffered crossbow, balancing the weapon on the makeshift barricade.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:So this is how it stands ...

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 6 Pq1Iy0k0

Go ahead and post the rolls that go with your readied actions.
Post Initiative counts, too.
When the Orks get to Davin's range, we'll resolve those rounds first
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II: HP:74/74 AC:28 Fort:22 Ref:22 Will:19 Healing Surges:8/8 Action Points:1

Initiative: 1d20=20+7=27 (20 on Init.?, Rolling Eyes)

Straegis steels himself for the impending attack and tells his allies to do the same. He recognizes this feeling as he prepares the fire to rage from his hands, he is ready to blast as many enemies as possible.

Standard: Scorching Burst centered on (?Range 10?).

Attacks (vs. Reflex):
1d20=6+9=15
1d20=17+9=26
1d20=12+9=21
1d20=20+9=29 (!)
1d20=5+9=14
1d20=17+9=26
1d20=17+9=26
1d20=19+9=28
1d20=17+9=26

Damage (?): 1d6=4+4=8

O.O.C.: Just a reminder, everyone (except Talgaarnuk) is +2 to Init., and if you spend an AP= +2 to Attack, +4 to Damage. I want to hit 9 enemies, if Straegis sees that is not possible, he will attack as many as he can hit at once. In that case plz. edit. I know its usually one damage roll for the attack, but I wasn't sure what to do with that natch! Again, plz. edit if necessary.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Presuming everything checks out . . .

Taking up his post once more, the old campaigner clears his throat and spits. In a deep basso, he begins to sing.

An' ye had been where I hae been
Ye wadna' been sae cantie-o
An' ye had seen what I hae seen
On the braes o' tha' dark, shadow-o

I fought at land, I fought at sea
At hame I fought my auntie-o
But I met the De'il and Ular'k
On the braes o' tha' dark, shadow-o"

Gaining volume, now, his voice booms in the darkness.

"The bauld pitcur fell in a furr
And tha' rebels gat a clankie-o
Or I had fed an Athol gled
On the braes o' tha' dark, shadow-o"

Slamming his iron-shod boots into the stone below, he bellows with passion.

"Oh fie, Ritland, What gart ye lie
I' the brush ayont the brankie-o?
Ye'd better kiss'd tha' Emperor's loff
Than come tae tha' dark, shadow-o

It's nae shame, it's nae shame
It's nae shame to shank ye-o
There's sour slaes on Athol braes
And the de'ils in tha' dark, shadow-o"

Intimidate: 1d20+10=30
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:24 am

Malazek wrote:As the Orcs draw closer (Still out of range), Davin gets a better look at what's coming. There are two worgs, 12 orcs, and that same half-orc from before. One of the worgs, and several of the Orcs, are leading the charge; the half-orc and the other worg are near the back.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 71/71; AC 22 Fort 20 Ref 23 Will 22; Healing Surges=8/8, SV:17, Action Points=1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 105/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 SV:26, Action Points=1

Round 0
Move - Activate Hemingr's Precision
Minor - Designate Worg my Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Readied Action, Twin Strike Worg at 50sq

Round 1 (50sq from Davin)
Readied Action - Twin Strike

Initiative=19 (will change based on Readied Action)
Twin Strike 1=33
Twin Strike 2=16
TS Damage 1=9
TS Damage 2=miss
HQ Damage=14
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound - Readied Action, Hit and Run adversary climbing wall, will designate Hunter's Quarry on the triggerer on the round before
Initiative=9

O.O.C. - Awesome song, TWK!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 71/71; AC 22 Fort 20 Ref 23 Will 22; Healing Surges=8/8, SV:17, Action Points=1
Hound: HP 105/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 SV:26, Action Points=1

Round 2 (34sq from Davin)
Move - None
Minor - Designate Worg my Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Twin Strike Worg at

Initiative=19(will change based on Readied Action)
Twin Strike 1=17
Twin Strike 2=16
TS Damage 1=miss
TS Damage 2=miss
HQ Damage=miss
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Oi! Did anyone scout the room we're using as a last stand?
OOC: I think the people who helped pull the furniture out of there got a decent look at the place.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Could you edit Vangg's position and put him at K-4? Maybe Kersh picked Vangg up and set him on the box . . .

DM EDIT: Done

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 6 AV1JMkUr
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:25 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity: HP:86/86 AC:28 Fort:22 Ref:22 Will:25 Healing Surges:11/11 Action Points:1

Verity doesn't know the words of Mordax's ballad, but his boot will keep tempo with that of the veteran soldier.

Initiative:9
Crossbow attack: 23 to hit, 6 damage
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Mordax's singing echoes down the halls, but's a frightening tune that promises to send your foes packing, rather than calling them to join the fray.

As they approach (going to resolve the few rounds it takes for them to actually get on the map. Only a few people have the range to attack the orcs until then, anyway...

Round 1

Init 19
Like a sea of savages, the orcs charge forward. With one of the worgs, the eagerest cross into Davin's extreme range. Davin fires, hitting once & missing once. The orcs and the worg continue to run forward.

The closest make it to row zz (off the map; 41 squares from the wall).
Davin's initiative becomes 20

Init 18
More follow.

Init 7
Kersh leaves the safty of the barricade, and smashes his flail into the stone wall.

Round 2

Init 29
More follow. Including the half-orc and the other worg. The half-orc fires his heavy crossbow. Two nasty bolts whiz through the air toward Alex. Some of the other orcs have remained back, near him ... and begin unfolding whatever contraption that was you saw on his back, last night; it's beginning to look like ... a tripod?

Now in row fff, he is 47 squares from the wall.
His attacks: 35 & 29 vs AC.
Unless someone interrupts it, it's 28 & 19 damage. Plus 3 fire damage.
It does half on a miss

Init 26
Another runs up from where he is, and rejoins the others. You recognize him as the EoG from before. The bandage over his eye gives it away.

Init 19
Davin fires again, missing twice.

The first group runs yet closer. Verity fires, as well, striking the one on the Worg. The orc does not falter. Mordax fires, too, but misses.

They make it to row ii. I rolled a 13 for Mordax's attack.
Verity and Mordax are now on initiative 20

Init 18
More follow.

Init 7
Kersh continues to pound the wall with his heavy flail.

Round 3

Init 29
The half-orc moves forward again, followed by his ontourage. as he goes, he drops his crossbow and pulls two battle axes from his belt. His run doesn't stop there; the worg at his side. Two of the others pick up the crossbow, and set it on the tripod; a third connects a small box to the top of it.

They are at row xx; 39 squares from the wall.
He is at row oo. 31 squares from the wall

Init 19
Davin fires. Verity fires. Mordax fires. The first wave charges froward. As they close in, there's an unexpected explosion, which catches many of the orcs in a fiery blast of shrapnel.

OOC: Had to roll this one for you guys; trying to get most of the battle to the map.
Davin: 32 and 18. 18 damage & miss. Same target. He's Bloodied.
Verity: 21 to hit. Miss.
Mordax: 25 to hit. 10 Damage. Mordax's target is bloodied.
That group makes it to the map. When they cross row W, they set off Taalgarnuk's naphta trap. 35 damage to six of them and the worg. The worg is bloodied

But they press on, only to run into Straegis's fiery blast. His blast catches four of them, hotly. Only the worg and one other seem unbothered.

Those four are bloodied. Straegis now acts on Init 20

Init 18
The EoG and the others follow.

Init 7
Kersh struggles back ver the wall, reaching his former position.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Init 29 (Beginning of Round 4)
From the distant shadows, that heavy crossbows begins to shoot fiery bolt after fiery bolt, streaming down the hall; the first richochets off the cieling, and crashes down to the floor harmlessly. The other, somhow, comes over the wall and hits Mordax. 9 damage plus 3 fire damage.

The half-orc runs closer with his axes in hand.
He reaches the map.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 6 AV1N9MQA

Now Mordax, Davin, Verity, and Straegis all act on Init 20. Swift, I know you mentioned moving behind the barricade at some point; if you wanted to do that before now, let me know, and I'll fix it.

Alex & Vangg, please post your initiatives with your Round 4 actions.

NPCs Initiatives are as follows ...

Taalgarnuk 27 (Delaying)
Juugug 14
Hound 9
Kersh 7
Azzy 7
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:HP:84/72 AC:31/29(bloodied) Fort:22 Ref:20 Will:18 Healing Surges:11/11 Action Points:1

Dropping the crossbow atop the barricade, Mordax makes ready with hammer and net.

Wait for warg to come within range, and then Frightening Blow. If that isn't possible this round, he'll try to net the thing with

Move to K6. Athletics 1d20+13=28
Standard Frightening Blow on Warg 1d20+12=25, Dmg 3d10+6=28 and target is immobilized save ends.
OR, if not possible, then Net Sweep (close burst 1) the Warg (Str vs. Fort 15), Dmg 1d6+8=12 and target is slowed, –2 att until the end of your next turn, and knocked prone.

OOC: Btw, is there a bonus for elevation?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Once more Mordax bellows a basso tune, daring the enemy to close with a survivor of the massacre of Caern Massor.

"I cam' in by Dunideer and doon by Nether Ha'
There were fifty thousand' heilan' men a-marchin' tae Massor

Wi' a diddy aye o' an' a fal an' doe
and a diddy aye o' aye ay

As I gaed on an' farther on and doon an' by Balquhain
Oh it's there I saw Sir James the Rose and wi' him John the Graeme
"It's cam' ye fae the Heilan's man, cam' ye a' the wey?
Saw ye Laird Ross and his men as they cam' fae tha' Peninsula?"

"It's I was near and near eneuch that I their numbers saw
There was fifty thoosan' heilan' men a-marchin' tae Massor"
Gin that be true," says James the Rose, "We'll no cam' muckle speed
We'll cry upon wir merry men and turn wir horse's heid"

"Oh na, o' na," says John the Graeme, "This thing will nivver be"
The gallant Graemes wis nivver beat, we'll try fit we can dae
Well, as I gaed on an' further doon by Caern Massor
There fell fu' close on ilka side sic straiks ye nivver saw

There fell fu' close on ilka side sic straiks ye nivver saw
An' ilka sword gaed clash for clash at the Battle o' Massor
The Heilan' men wi' their lang swords, they laid on us fu' sair
And they drave back wir merry men three acres breadth and mair

Frost tae his brither did say, "Noo brither, can't ye see
They've beaten us back on ilka side and we'll be forced tae flee
Oh na, na, my brither bold, this thing will nivver be
Ye'll tak yer guid sword in yer haun', ye'll gang in wi' me

Well, it's back tae back the brithers bold gaed in amangst the thrang
And they drave back the heilan' men wi' swords baith sharp and lang
An' the firstan stroke that Frost struck, he gart Laird Ross reel
An' the neistan straik that Frost struck, the brave Laird Ross fell

An siccan a ptlairchie o' the likes ye nivver saw
As wis amangst the Heilan' men fan they saw Laird Ross fa'
Some rade, some ran and some did gang, they were o' sma' record
For Forbes and his merry men, they slew them on the road

O' fifty thoosan' Heilan' men, but fifty-three gaed hame
And oot o' a' the Lawlan' men, fifty marched wi' Graeme
Gin onybody spier at ye for them that marched awa'
Ye can tell them plain and very plain they're sleepin' at Caern Massor

and a diddy aye o' aye ay"

Intimidate: 1d20+10=25
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:26 am

Round 4
Minor - None
Standard - Twin Strike Worg
Move - Run to I3

I thought there were two Worgs? Is the Worg on the map the one I have been attacking? Because that is the one I want to target. When you rolled for me on Round 3, make sure you rolled 2d8 for Hunter's Quarry, Hemingr's Precision is active.

Initiative=20
Twin Strike 1=19
Twin Strike 2=29
TS Damage 1=miss
TS Damage 2=14
HQ Damage=3
Athletics=27

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:WoeVangg: HP: 79/79 AC:21 Fort:19 Ref:17 Will:24 Healing Surges:11/11 AP:1

Initiative: 11 Roll

OOC: Will post actions a little later.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:Move to K6.
You need an athletics check for that.

DM wrote:OOC: FYI. Climbing over the wall is a DC 15. Movement while climbing is at half speed. You grant combat advantage while doing so. If you take damage while climbing, you must make another check or fall (increase the DC by 5 if that damage makes you bloodied). If you fall, you get a chance to "catch hold" and stop your fall; the DC for that is 20 plus the damage you took.

In the meantime, the wall grants cover to anyone behind the wall. When the orcs get close enough, they might also get this bonus; but not now.

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Btw, is there a bonus for elevation?
No. I know a lot of games give attack bonuses for higher ground (including earlier editions of D&D); but no. Not in 4e.

Swifthand wrote:I thought there were two Worgs? Is the Worg on the map the one I have been attacking? Because that is the one I want to target. When you rolled for me on Round 3, make sure you rolled 2d8 for Hunter's Quarry, Hemingr's Precision is active.
There are two worgs. I'll add the other to the map, now (don't know how I missed that). The one that was already there is tre one you and Verity have been attacking. I think I remembered to add 2d8, but I'll double check.

EDIT: Map Fixed. HQ checked..
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:27 am

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Waiting on Straegis's action if his initiative is before Vangg's. And it was Alex that took all that damage?

DM EDIT: Alex took a good chunk, yes.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:31 am

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Hps and Athletics roll fixed.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:INIT: 22; HP: 19/49

Alex staggers as the bolts fly into him. "Ugh" He mutters, with enough energy to throw his spell at the Orcs, he hopes it performs well. His hands twist, pointing low on the ground, as he attempts once more to control the blood pumping through each body, this time aimed at the feet though, he hopes it keeps from from reaching him. One hand leaves the task, to apply a burst of frost to one of his crossbow wounds, numbing the pain so he can snap the bolt away. He'll deal with the head later.

He backs into the corner. Thinking he has bitten off more than he can chew, and worried that, even though his close spell would likely destroy the barricade, perhaps being safer was worth it! He is sure his friends will prevail however.

---------------------
Standard: Graveyard Fog on T5
Attack:
Attack vs. Worg: 17 vs. Will
Attack vs. Orc: 30
Attack vs. Orc: 29
Attack vs. Orc: 26
Attack vs. Orc: 20
Attack vs. Orc: 28
Hit: 19 Psychic damage and the target it slowed until the end of my next turn.
Any creature that enters the area takes 7 psychic damage and is slowed until the end of its next turn. Rolls More rolls
Minor: Soothing River. Regain a HS+5 hp.
Move: Shift to M3
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity: HP:86/86 AC:28 Fort:22 Ref:22 Will:25 Healing Surges:11/11 Action Points:1 Init:20

Standard: Fire on [non-slowed] Orc in U3, miss
Free: Drop Crossbow
Minor: Ready Sword
Minor: Ready Shield

EDIT: When Alex fails to get over the wall, Verity will ask Kersh to lift him over.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next