Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

+2
Malazek
151prooftattoos
6 posters

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 8 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex shudders and recoils. "Verity!" He rushes to Verity's side as Vanng does. As Vanng pours healing into him, Alex glances at the amulet. "Probably the terramancers equivalent to an aqueous templar...but why is it...on me..." Alex shakes his head, his white hair falls around his eyes. "Are you Ok Verity?"

As long as Verity is fine Alex will call over Jenna and ask about whats going on, along with using his own knowledge.

----------
Arcana: +20
----------

He adresses Davin. "Yes Davin, the scholar Issac fell. He was infact not a waterbender, but he was one of our scholars. He shouldn't have been there, but I'm sure he wanted to see it all for himself." He leans towards Jenna. "I suggest Nicholas and Darrick stand with you this time, further from harms way and closer to Garrets protection. Imil cannot afford to lose its highest sholars and knowledge. You must all be careful. And, see if Issac can be raised. He was old, but perhaps he has more yet to learn about the world, or some role to play in Imil's future." Alex is surprised by his tone, especially towards Master Jenna.

Alex shows the group what is in Sallowmanes bag. With a niggling feeling that they might need the amulet around her neck as well. He attempts to remove it with a Mage Hand and put it in the bag.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 8 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 am

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:As long as Verity is fine Alex will call over Jenna and ask about whats going on, along with using his own knowledge.
"Yes. I believe you are correct. It seems similiar to the Aqueas Templar, but it's connection with the Dwarf god, Moradin, makes it a little different ..."

Alex wrote:"I suggest Nicholas and Darrick stand with you this time, further from harms way and closer to Garrets protection. Imil cannot afford to lose its highest sholars and knowledge. You must all be careful. And, see if Issac can be raised. He was old, but perhaps he has more yet to learn about the world, or some role to play in Imil's future."
"Well, the other House Guards were supposed to protect them ... but I guess Iassac didn't need to accompany the others. I thought, however, that Darrick and Nicholas were more than capable of matching wits with those Terramancers; but perhaps I underestimated the imbalance of power here."

Alex wrote:Alex shows the group what is in Sallowmanes bag. With a niggling feeling that they might need the amulet around her neck as well. He attempts to remove it with a Mage Hand and put it in the bag.
The watery hand begins to lift the "Telluric Templar" from Sallowmane's body, the holy symbol twists and resists, until finally the watery hand is turned to mud ... and then eventually to dirt, dropping the talisman to the tile foor.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:Religion check on the powers of the necklace:
1d20+11=19 DM EDIT: +8 Circumstantial Bonus = 27
Alex wrote:Arcana: +20
DM EDIT: 27
Vangg has heard of the Amulet and it's dual-power scheme: it is reputed to grant the user powerful influence over the earth itself, in addition to it's obvious "holy" significance. This coincides with Alex's suspicions that it's the Terramancer's equivilent to the Aqueaus Templar.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Da Am'let begrant earth powers an' what nots . . . mayhap destr'y dat ting . . . unless ye befollow ol' Moradin."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity staggers to his feet and promptly doubles over, choking up dirt and blood and leaning on Vangg. He tries to tell everyone he’s fine, but drawing breath just results in another violent spasm of coughing.

The best he can manage is an optimistic thumbs up, supplemented by a watery-eyed grin.

Once he recovers he exclaims, “Gods that was a mighty blow, felt like a hit from Moradin’s own hammer. If someone else would like to give it a go, I'll keep the Queen's healing grace at the ready. Someone not ordained to another God, perhaps?"
‘So Davin , I agree with the bit about ‘enemy of my enemy is my friend’; Might use that saying in the parlay actually.
“I always liked that one better than ‘war makes strange bedfellows’: Tell an orc that and he might think I was making a pass. Ha-ha-h-COUGH, COUGH, COUGH…ahem.
“We’ll need to consult Frater and the other leaders and convince them first of course.”

To that end he finds his brother that he may call a council. When the leaders are assembled he says, “If we fight these Orcs and Goblins our forces will be still more sorely taxed. History has shown the fallacy of attempting a battle on two fronts time and again. Too, it could set off another war.
“But what if we parlay with the greenskins? We can offer them exactly what they seek; unobstructed entry to the Dwarf lands to mete destruction on their age-old foes. Then it is the Dwarves fighting on two fronts and we’ve gained a mighty ally. All we require in return is control of the Wise Stone.
“I could approach them, I speak the goblin tongue. If you favor the plan I shall set out presently and end the skirmishing at our rear ranks.”
Verity gazes expectantly at the leaders, awaiting their decision.

Starting from 2 Hit Points [phew!] + 3d6 (1,3,1) + Wis (6) +d10 (6) + Tombchain (4)=48
Will promptly spend 2 more surges.
Diplomacy: 37
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 am

Swifthand wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:"Da Am'let begrant earth powers an' what nots . . . mayhap destr'y dat ting . . . unless ye befollow ol' Moradin."

Halcyon wrote:"Gods that was a mighty blow, felt like a hit from Moradin’s own hammer. If someone else would like to give it a go, I'll keep the Queen's healing grace at the ready. Someone not ordained to another God, perhaps?"

Stunned at the reaction of the amulet, Davin simply stares, open-mouthed, at Verity laying flat out. Offering him a hand, the Ranger lifts an eyebrow while eying the Talisman of Earth. Then, he nods in agreement at the Deathknight's appraisal of the situation.

"I don't think destroying it would be a good idea. In fact, I think that this is one of the relics we need. If it reacts poorly to clergy of a foreign god, other elementalists, or bearers of the Talisman of another element, that counts all you out....but not me. Let's give it a try."

Davin stoops down and picks up the Telluric Templar, wincing a bit as he does.

Halcyon wrote:‘So Davin , I agree with the bit about ‘enemy of my enemy is my friend’; Might use that saying in the parlay actually.
“I always liked that one better than ‘war makes strange bedfellows’: Tell an orc that and he might think I was making a pass. Ha-ha-h-COUGH, COUGH, COUGH…ahem.
“We’ll need to consult Frater and the other leaders and convince them first of course.”

"Reed, do you agree? Though the Rangers are not nearly as numerous as the other forces, we all know your power lies not in your numbers. Your voice would be welcome."

After hearing Reed's thoughts, Davin will accompany Verity and lend his support to his plan.

"It is a good plan. We even have greenskin allies to illustrate our open mindedness. And remember, the battle was secondary to the primary plan of taking the Wise Stone. This would allow us to concentrate all our forces to it's defense."

Aid Verity on Diplomacy=18

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Davin stoops down and picks up the Telluric Templar, wincing a bit as he does.
The stone symbol moans and vibrates in Davin's grasp, causing the ranger's arm to go numb; but it's reaction isn't nearly as violent as it's reaction to Verity ... Davin senses a harsh displeasure emenating from both the Telluric Templar AND his own eyeball.

Davin wrote:"Reed, do you agree? Though the Rangers are not nearly as numerous as the other forces, we all know your power lies not in your numbers. Your voice would be welcome."
Reed nods and says "It seems risky; the Greenskins are not to be trusted, " he says. "Present company excluded" he adds, with a friendly gesture toward your monstrous allies.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"I wouldn't know how to. The disenchant ritual...i could try it...probably not a good idea."

Alex watches to see if Davin can pick up the amulet.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 am

Verity wrote:To that end he finds his brother that he may call a council. When the leaders are assembled he says, “If we fight these Orcs and Goblins our forces will be still more sorely taxed. History has shown the fallacy of attempting a battle on two fronts time and again. Too, it could set off another war.

“But what if we parlay with the greenskins? We can offer them exactly what they seek; unobstructed entry to the Dwarf lands to mete destruction on their age-old foes. Then it is the Dwarves fighting on two fronts and we’ve gained a mighty ally. All we require in return is control of the Wise Stone.

“I could approach them, I speak the goblin tongue. If you favor the plan I shall set out presently and end the skirmishing at our rear ranks.”
Verity gazes expectantly at the leaders, awaiting their decision.

Diplomacy: 37
Swifthand wrote:"It is a good plan. We even have greenskin allies to illustrate our open mindedness. And remember, the battle was secondary to the primary plan of taking the Wise Stone. This would allow us to concentrate all our forces to it's defense."
Aid Verity on Diplomacy=18
"The plans makes sense," Frater admits. "But it will be a hard sell to the troops. I think it best we stay clear of the Orcs and Goblins once we are at the wise stone, and as they press on to whatever lands and halls they desire to conquer."

"Agreed." Colonel Olivia says, "An ancestral hatred exists between my people and the Savage Horde; a hatred every bit as strong as that which exists between the them and the Dwarves. The plan has merit, but we must tread lightly."

Jenna adds, "The plan makes sense. It will be easier for us to take and secure our target if we do not have to fend off enemies from all sides and underfoot."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:37 am

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Did we get an Action Point back for that encounter?
OOC: Yes. Counting the wall and the battle, that was the equivilent of three exnounters; so, a Milestone and a half. You'll earn another after the next encounter.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:38 am

Swifthand wrote:A strange look crosses the Elf's face. Then, he rubs his rune-etched eye with the back of his hand.

"It doesn't like the Mark of Hemingr...and the Mark doesn't care for it, either. Straegis or Mordax will have to hold it. Maybe Straegis. He is attuned to magic."

As soon as Davin see's him, he will pass the Telluric Templar to Straegis.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Magic asked for a more specific run-down of what was on Sallowmane's person, so ...

Tinderbox
Flask (full of Dwarven Spirits)
Journey Bread (3 loaves)
Half a Candle
Whetstone
Hammer
Scalemail
Shield*
Eight Keys on an Iron Ring
42 gp
*Telluric Templar
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:As soon as Davin see's him, he will pass the Telluric Templar to Straegis.
When the troops are through punishing the routed, Straegis returns and accepts the Templar. The relic makes him feel uncomfortable, so he places it in his backpack.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Time's a Tickin.' Who else is doin' what before the Savage Horde gets here?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:39 am

Halcyon wrote:"Frater, care to join me? You represent the Empire here. Also a flag or standard of parlay would help announce our intent at distance. I'd prefer not to get shot at if it can be avoided.
"Juugug, I expect you could help me convince your kin, as could their cousins Kersh and Tully. So then gentlemen - and Tugaarlnuk - are you up to it?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Reed - perhaps each Ranger should take a crossbow and a quarrel from the fallen. Now their optimal weapon, but better than nothing if they run dry on arrows. Oh, and on another note, who makes your special arrows? They sure came in handy down here, but, as you can see, I have switched to a crossbow."

Once the Rangers have reassembled, Davin will scale to the top of the wall with Reed and the others. I want ALL Rangers and crossbowman to keep a bead on Verity and Co. Also, I want everyone ready to give them cover for for retreat if the greenskins try treachery.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Frater, care to join me? You represent the Empire here. Also a flag or standard of parlay would help announce our intent at distance. I'd prefer not to get shot at if it can be avoided."
"Sure. I'll come with ya. We can run up the Imperial flag and a white flag together."

Verity wrote:"Juugug, I expect you could help me convince your kin, as could their cousins Kersh and Tully. So then gentlemen - and Tugaarlnuk - are you up to it?"
Taalgarnuk sputters, "W-wh-wha? Ye ..."
"Mayhaps da kid belearnst da Sharp Tongue, after alls?" Juugug says.

Davin wrote:"Reed - perhaps each Ranger should take a crossbow and a quarrel ... better than nothing if they run dry on arrows. Oh, and on another note, who makes your special arrows? They sure came in handy down here, but, as you can see, I have switched to a crossbow."
"Hmm? Who? ... um ..." He leans over and whispers, "Thaddeus Crane" ... But keep that a secret. He's a very private person."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 am

151prooftattoos wrote:
Reed wrote:Reed nods and says "It seems risky; the Greenskins are not to be trusted, " he says.

Vangg looks to Juugug and raises his eyebrow . . .

"Ye 'ear dat bedamned Go'bin? Greenskins'er nigh ta be trusted!"

OOC: Didn't one of the Priests also have a shield like Vangg's? Would benefit one of our party members I am sure.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 am

Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Didn't one of the Priests also have a shield like Vangg's? Would benefit one of our party members I am sure.
OOC: Yup. Sallowmane did. Thanks for pointing that out.
So, who's gonna get it?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:41 am

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Verity or Juugug i would imagine?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:As Davin picks up the Amulet . . .

"Davins me friends . . . ye wouldmights nigh do me an favors an' touch da Kobold wit dat ting fer ah blink would ye's?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Taalgarnuk turns to Vangg, "B'whatss? Mayhapss Vangg'd like 't 'nsstead ... it cometh froms 'is dead girlfriendss, afterall. Or wass dat a boy? C'never be ssure wit' Dwarfsess ... Ye be da girl or da boy, Vangg?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 am

Malazek wrote:With Davin, Reed, the 13 Rangers, and 21 crossbow-toting Imperials upon the wall ...

Verity, Straegis, Frater, Olivia, Kersh, Juugug, and Taalgarnuk stroll out to meet the incoming Horde.
(Roughly 1000 troopers are still outside the gate when the Horde arrives; Mordax is busy trying to usher them through).

The Half-Orc you tangled with previously can be clearly seen leading the Greenskin army. To his immediate left and right you can see several prominent Orcs and Goblins (you don't know who they are, but you can clearly tell they are leaders of some type; perhaps tribal chieftans). Behing them is a mixed assortment of Goblins, Orcs, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears. There is nothing uniform about their accruements.

The parlaying party moves forward, carrying a white flag alongside the Imperial and Eladrin flags. Before they are 40 yards (24 squares) from the grouparty, the Half-Orc holds up an arm, hauting the entire Horde.

His voice rings out, "What?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 am

Halcyon wrote:Upon recognizing the Half Orc, Verity says under his breath, "Might need some help smooting things out here guys."

"Dwarf slaughter is what. We seek vengance for the longbeards' attack on our home Etol." He shouts back.

Verity repeats this in Gobbledygook for the benefit of the Goblins, just as he repeats the following.

"You are all quite familiar with dwarven surprise attacks, yes? Well today we gave them a taste of their own strategy and now the dwarven halls run red with dwarf blood.
"Now we move to a holy site of the dwarves to make it our own and thereby weaken the sons of Moradin.
"That you speak before striking marks you a wise leader, as does your very presence here. The perfect time to strike the dwarves is nearly upon you: centuries of hate soon to be sated.
"If instead you prefer to fight us and ours, we shall only weaken each other. Many will fall on both sides and neither of our purpose be advanced.
"My people have a saying: 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend.' Leave us to our purpose and we shall leave you to yours, to the gain of all our people. The only alternative is a misguided fight to the gain of none.
"So mighty Chieftains, what will it be? Do we waste our time here, or go crush the dwarves?"

Diplomacy: (12 roll + 23 mod +5 good omens) 40, all allies present are +5 to d20 rolls this round but cannot score crititcal hits.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 am

Swifthand wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:As Davin picks up the Amulet . . .

"Davins me friends . . . ye wouldmights nigh do me an favors an' touch da Kobold wit dat ting fer ah blink would ye's?
Malazek wrote:Taalgarnuk turns to Vangg, "B'whatss? Mayhapss Vangg'd like 't 'nsstead ... it cometh froms 'is dead girlfriendss, afterall. Or wass dat a boy? C'never be ssure wit' Dwarfsess ... Ye be da girl or da boy, Vangg?"

Despite the grim surroundings, Davin's heart lightens a bit listening to the Sharptounge of Vangg and Tal.

"Leave me out of it - I have no wish to be at the end of the barbs of the Brother's Rhin!"

Malazek wrote:With Davin, Reed, the 13 Rangers, and 21 crossbow-toting Imperials upon the wall ...

Atop the wall, Davin takes command of the ranged forces arrayed against the greenskins, applying the same tested methods just used by he and Reed.

"See the Half-Orc, Reed? He is the real threat there. If it comes to it, hit him with everything you have up front. I will do the same."

"Rangers, Crossbowmen - quickly form up into groups of six. Each group pick a different priority target. You four, you're on the Half-Orc with Reed and I. If things get messy, I want six of their leaders dead before they know what hit them."

Me, Reed, 21 Crossbows, 13 Rangers = 36/6 = 6 targets, 1 of which is the Half-Orc Mardogc.

Halcyon wrote:Diplomacy: (12 roll + 23 mod +5 good omens) 40, all allies present are +5 to d20 rolls this round but cannot score crititcal hits.

O.O.C.#1 - Can the others Aid, or can Verity get a circumstantial bonus for his monstrous and greenskin allies?

O.O.C.#2 - By the by, I am up North this weekend, and my posting will be intermittent. Don't let Davin hold things up, and don't get annoyed for his lack of response!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Upon recognizing the Half Orc, Verity says under his breath, "Might need some help smooting things out here guys."

"Dwarf slaughter is what. We seek vengance for the longbeards' attack on our home Etol." He shouts back.

Verity repeats this in Gobbledygook for the benefit of the Goblins, just as he repeats the following.

"You are all quite familiar with dwarven surprise attacks, yes? Well today we gave them a taste of their own strategy and now the dwarven halls run red with dwarf blood."

"Now we move to a holy site of the dwarves to make it our own and thereby weaken the sons of Moradin."

"That you speak before striking marks you a wise leader, as does your very presence here. The perfect time to strike the dwarves is nearly upon you: centuries of hate soon to be sated."

"If instead you prefer to fight us and ours, we shall only weaken each other. Many will fall on both sides and neither of our purpose be advanced."

"My people have a saying: 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend.' Leave us to our purpose and we shall leave you to yours, to the gain of all our people. The only alternative is a misguided fight to the gain of none."

"So mighty Chieftains, what will it be? Do we waste our time here, or go crush the dwarves?"

Diplomacy: 40 + Mods (below) = 46
+2 for Speaking Gobbledygook
+2 Aid for including Orcish
+2 Aid because the officers were brave enough to step to the front
+2 Aid for the presence of monstrous allies
+2 because you currently hold the wall
-2 for the presence of so many Eladrin troops.
-5 for the Horde's current attitude
+3 for the Horde's own motives
Straegis helps by repeating Verity's words in the Orcish Tongue.* The Orc and Goblin chiefs whisper among themselves. Then, finally, Mardogc shouts across the space with more verbal clarity than most of his kind possess "Slaughterin' Dwarfs does sound appealing. Of course, there are others worth slaughtering, too; and they seem a lot closer, at the moment. Still, the Halls of the Dwarfs would be a mighty reward for efforts ... especially if the holy site is ALL you're after. How doo we know you won't double-cross us after we've done all your work for you; fighting the Dwarfs, that is."

"Before we continue, let me just say, there is a personal matter to be dealt with here ... but we'll talk of that AFTER we discuss the Dwarfs."

"So ... how do you suggest we 'we leave you to yours, and us to ours' when you hold the wall? Clearly you cannot just step aside and allow us passage, because then we'd have Beards at our front and Ears at our backs."

"Speak."

OOC: We will handle this discussion as a Skill Challenge. Keep the verbose responses coming, and include a Diplomacy roll with each. I'll try to respond multiple times today so the game doesn't get stalled on one set of rolls (though, half the group is MIA this weekend, so I don't imagine that would be too bothersome, any way; still, I'll try to resolve the parlay as swiftly as possible).

*Mack is still in the process of moving, but before he left he told me Straegis would aid and use his linguist knowledge to do so.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 27  Next