Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

+2
Malazek
151prooftattoos
6 posters

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 9 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 am

Halcyon wrote:Verity nearly shouts, voice reverberating of the stone, that all the Horde at the front lines may hear.
“We seek the holy site and some few items of arcane nature that shall make the site useful to us. Should we find the items along the way, our acquaintance for now shall be done. Also, our men reserve the right to pillage what they pass, but that goes without saying.
“We are more than pleased to continue in the work you would do for us, fighting the dwarves. Here’s what I propose:
“We’ll not step aside but move on. Our army continues beyond the wall, deeper into dwarf lands, destroying any who stand in our way. Your armies enter the gate then and make manifest the centuries old dreams of your people, taking the fight to the wee bearded men in their no longer impenetrable halls of stone.”
At the thought, Verity grins. “The arrogant little gits are overdue their reckoning. It’s bloody poetry really.”
“Through an ancient seer of the eastern waste we know our destination to be some few hours further on. If we have what we require we shall remain there, sending you on with a prayer to your good fortune in slaughter. If we do not find the items, we will need free passage to procure them and return.”

Verity says the above in Gobbledygook as well.
Diplomacy: 35
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 9 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 am

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:“We’ll not step aside but move on. Our army continues beyond the wall, deeper into dwarf lands, destroying any who stand in our way. Your armies enter the gate then ...”

Diplomacy: 35 +8 (net mods) = 43
Without conferring with the others, Mardogc responds "How long? How long shall we wait, after you press on? How much distance shall be put between us and you?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"I agree that a bit of distance between our forces would be well advised. After all, men of the sword are an intemperate lot.

"Still, we wouldn’t want the dwarves to circle round and interfere with your advance. Send a small force to garrison the gate back with us: Three score should be more than sufficient to keep the dwarves at bay in the unlikely chance some few succeed in maneuvering behind us. Then bring up your legions two hundred yards behind.

"It shall be some minutes before you see a dwarf force of any significance, for we routed the cowards. When finally you clash steel though, I have no doubt Gruumsh and Bane shall revel in the devastation you deliver unto them."

Diplomacy: 41
Verity will repeat everything he says in the goblin tongue for the duration of this conversation.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:"It shall be some minutes before you see a dwarf force of any significance, for we routed the cowards.

Hey Mal - How long will it take for our troops to resume our march toward the Wise Stone? Assuming a small party can move faster than an army, can they begin that journey while we search out Sallowmane's ritual book?

I told Mal, before I left, that we would begin searching for Sallowmane's home in the tunnel I saw her join the battle from. Vangg, could you use Insight or Dungeoneering to narrow down our search?

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex watches the preceedings, he was about to add that they didn't just want the holy site, but also Sallowmanes ritual components, but thankfully Verity hadn't forgotten that.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"I agree ..."

"Send ... Three score to garrison the gate .. Then bring up your legions two hundred yards behind."

"I have no doubt Gruumsh and Bane shall revel in the devastation you deliver unto them."

Diplomacy: 41 + 8 (above mods) +2 (honoring their gods) -10 (Speaking the name of He-Who-Watches) = 41
The Orc and Goblin chiefs confer with the Half-Orc, who again replies. "Your offer is both agreeable and ressonable. We shall man the wall and then follow some hundreds of yards behind. You shall march on to your holy rock, looting what you can carry; and we shall fight on into the ancestral halls, pilaging what lies beyond."

He steps forward, alone, extending a hand to seal the deal. As Verity grips his hand, the Mardogc adds (in a softer voice) "And now, about that personal matter. One of yours has taken something of mine; but that is the nature of warfare. Yet, it also the nature of warfare for one to try and reclaim what is theres."

"He is undoubtedly a valued member of your team, and so I will refrain from killing him. Yet, *I* will lose face if the issue isn't addressed ... Simply returning the weapon would not rectify the problem, as it's the insult that must be addressed; besides, handing it over would like charity, given out of pity, to one who is lesser. That will never do."

"How do you suggest we correct this grevious error?"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Hey Mal - How long will it take for our troops to resume our march toward the Wise Stone? Assuming a small party can move faster than an army, can they begin that journey while we search out Sallowmane's ritual book?
OOC: The troops is still more-or-less near their units, so resuming the march shouldn't take but a few minutes. A small party could very easily move ahead and scour Sallowman'e quarters and/or chapel, assuming they could find it. And assuming they didn't run into any trouble.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 am

Halcyon wrote:“A fickle Fate, to have a fine weapon lost. But consider what was left in its stead: A neatly bound present, a brown-bearded key to unlock the doom of the dwarves. After Snorri was left behind, we had no doubt he would sing for you, as he did for we.
“What is a weapon - any weapon - to the dream of your people manifest? And to have your army delivered deep into enemy territory, with another army suffering the opposition?
“There is such a trove of pillage in the days ahead for you, you may not remember that crossbow before the week is done. At the storied forges of the dwarves, you may find yourself glad ye lack the burden.”

Diplomacy: 39
Bluff: 29 basically to convince him our forgetting Snorri = he has saved face.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Bluff: 29.
Diplomacy: 39 +8 (usual mods) -5 (he really liked that crossbow) = 42.
OOC: It's hard to argue with a 42, I guess ...

“consider what was left in its stead: A neatly bound ... brown-bearded ... Snorri ... we had no doubt he would sing for you."

“There is such a trove of pillage in the days ahead for you, ... you may find yourself glad ye lack the burden.”
"Perhaps you are right. Fine then; the terms are agreeable. The deal is struck as you have stated it."

333 XPs Each.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Nicely done, Verity!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 am

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Ran into problem #1, internet service not working at new house, found unsecure wireless network someone left turned on, using that for now.

Straegis bows slightly to Verity saying, "I stood at the ready with either a sharp sword or some sharp wit, apparently you didn't need either. Well done! I'm satisfied with the arrangement you made, let's move to recover what we need. Perhaps we leave a few of Kradag's best hunters to our rear in the event our "new friends" change their mind?" Straegis will search for an abandoned javelin that he can pick up and take with him. As soon as he gets a chance, Straegis will inspect the templar, shield and any other items recovered from Sallowmane.

Arcana(templar):1d20=20+17=37(natch!),
Arcana(shield):1d20=12+17=29,
Arcana(if needed?):1d20=10+17=27

O.O.C. I didn't get a chance to level up yet, arcana mod will be one higher (half-lvl) when complete.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Mardogc wrote:"Perhaps you are right. Fine then; the terms are agreeable. The deal is struck as you have stated it."

"Excellent. I'm sure you'll now want to muster a squad to garrison the gate, we await its formation."

While the Cheifs organize the forty troops that will head back through with us to man the gate, Verity asks Juugug, "Forgive my ignorance of your customs, but is there some way we should seal our historic truce?"

Straegis wrote:...Perhaps we leave a few of Kradag's best hunters to our rear in the event our "new friends" change their mind?"

"They will not change their mind. They respect the might of the wise chiefs who stand before us. All the same, having maneuverable troops at our backs would discourage the dwaves from circling round as we move ever deeper through their halls. I'm sure Kradag will agree."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"... is there some way we should seal our historic truce?"
Juugug shakes his head in a manner that suggests "don't even ask," implying that such deals are quickly broken.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:48 am

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:As soon as he gets a chance, Straegis will inspect the templar, shield and any other items recovered from Sallowmane.

Arcana(templar): 1d20=20+17=37(natch!)
The amount of magic contained in the Templar exceeds normal limitations; it is comparable in power to the Aqueaus Templar, tho it seems loath to share its secrets with you.

Straegis wrote:Arcana(shield):1d20=12+17=29
Sallowmane's shield is nearly identicle to the one Vangg carries.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:[ OOC ] we would begin searching for Sallowmane's home in the tunnel I saw her join the battle from. Vangg, could you use Insight or Dungeoneering to narrow down our search?
OOV: Hey 151, is Vangg going to do this? Should somebody ask him in-character? Do you need me to drop the dice for ya?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"I will signal at two hundred paces. Today mighty Mardogc, your war drums herald doom for the longbeards!"

Verity will head back with the others keeping a good distance between the Allied force and the Horde's armies, as per the negotiations.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:49 am

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:[ OOC ] we would begin searching for Sallowmane's home in the tunnel I saw her join the battle from. Vangg, could you use Insight or Dungeoneering to narrow down our search?
OOV: Hey 151, is Vangg going to do this? Should somebody ask him in-character? Do you need me to drop the dice for ya?

"Vangg, I saw the tunnel that Sallowmane exited from when she joined the battle. There seems like a good place to start our search for her home and temple. Can you narrow down the search any?"

Davin will also inspect Sallowmane's boots and let Hound get a good sniff of her, hoping that he can track her once he gets to her tunnel.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Behaps dis ways me'd guess . . ."

Dungeoneering:
1d20+16=24
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Seeing Verity, Straegis, and the others returning, Davin motions for Reed and Alex to follow him, leaving the Rangers and Crossbowman to their second-in-command, and then springs down the ramp, Hound on his heels. Reaching the bottom just as Mordax commands the last of the troops through the gates with drill-sergeant presicion, the Ranger waves at Vangg, tending the nearby wounded, to join them. Finally, the Companions of Brackwater stand together again.

O.O.C. - Assuming Verity fills us all in on the results of the parlay with Mardogc...

With a relieved look, Davin claps the Deathknight on his back.

"Thank you, my friend. Knowing the orc's idea of fair retribution, you probably saved me an eye. Or a limb. Or my liver."

The Ranger shudders a bit considering the ramifications of Orcish Personal Property Law.

"While you were making new friends, Vangg and I think we have narrowed down the area that Sallowmane's temple and home are. And Hound has the Dwarf-priestesses scent. Let us see if we can track down her ritual book quickly, while the dwarven forces are still confused and disorganized from their rout. I am sure Frater, Olivia, Reed, Jenna, and Kradag can get our troops on the march. Once we have the prize we seek, we will rejoin you all. Agreed?"

O.O.C.#2 - Again assuming we all agree this is the best course of action...

Davin leads the Companions, Taal, Juugug, and Kersh to the hall where he saw Sallowmane emerge from. Using any information gleaned from Vangg's knowledge of the layout of Dwarven forts and halls, the Ranger holds forth the boot of the priestess, inspecting it closely for any distinguishing characteristics. Then, he lets Hound get a good, fresh sniff of the boot. Finally, he passes the boots to his friends, hoping that the extra eyes on the job will aid him. As ready as he can be, Davin begins to search for the spoor of Bridget Sallowmane.

Perception=38 (I included +2 for Hound. I don't know if we get any additional bonuses for just smelling Sallowmane and having her boot. Three more people can Aid Davin, as well.)

O.O.C.#3 - I don't know if the whole motley crew needs to join us, but I included them in the above. If you guys think a stealth run is a better idea, maybe Kersh should stay with Frater? If that is the case...

Stealth=34
Hound's Stealth=23

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: Okay, so whos' going where? The PCs are going down the hall that Birgit Sallowmane emerged from, right? Who all is going with them; which NPCs? (Any prominent NPCs who are not going with you will go with the troops, as your armies march-on toward the Wise Stone).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:50 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis will quickly locate Olivia, filling her in on as many details as he feels she needs at the moment. He tells her to continue toward the wise stone with the Vanguard and he will join her as quickly as possible. Straegis would definitely want to be involved in the locating of Sallowmane's ritual book. He will follow Davin and hound, close enough to provide assistance if necessary, but hanging back far enough to avoid throwing off the dynamic duo's stealthiness. Laughing

O.O.C.: Still looking for javelin, lemme know if I come across one.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg will do a check every so often to learn more near the passage:

1d20+16=20

1d20+16=26

1d20+16=19

1d20+16=26
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Still looking for javelin, lemme know if I come across one.
OOC: Ooops, sorry. I thought you were just telling me you picked one up.
There are several small Garkondrak spears lying about (i.e. Javelins).

Straegis picks up a spear or two as he goes.

Straegis wrote:He will follow Davin and hound, close enough to provide assistance if necessary, but hanging back far enough to avoid throwing off the dynamic duo's stealthiness
Straegis is still stealthy from having used the Factotum helm a few minutes ago (the effect lasts an hour).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex helps out Davin with the tracking, and attempts to move quietly along with the rest of the group. Very eager to get Sallowmanes things.

-------------------
Stealth: +8
Percpetion to Aid Davin: +13
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:51 am

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: Okay, so whos' going where? The PCs are going down the hall that Birgit Sallowmane emerged from, right? Who all is going with them; which NPCs? (Any prominent NPCs who are not going with you will go with the troops, as your armies march-on toward the Wise Stone).

From what Straegis and Alex said, it looks like we are rolling Stealthy. That means Kersh stays with Frater (I am sure they are becoming fast friends after the battle with the Dorfs!). Taal, Juugug, and Azzy are coming with us, unless Vangg/Verity/Juugug/Taal has other ideas.

Davin moves slowly and carefully, Hound at his side and Crossbow at the ready, trying to detect the signs of Birgit Sallowmane's passing.

EDIT - Just talked to Verity, and he thinks no on Kersh, yes on Azzy/Juugug/Taal.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 27 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next