Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 26 of 35 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 26 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex's cold eyes stare at the dwarf, hoping to notice any signs of lies.

---------
Insight (+12): 22

Oh, and if you're dentist is working like that, he'll not be able to walk when he's finished work! Sit up straight people!

DM EDIT: Hehe, that pic is from the movie "Marathon Man."
The dentist-guy isn't Dentist ... he's a torturer
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 26 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax just keeps tapping away with the hammer; tap, tap, tap, tap, tap . . .

Intimidate: 1d20+9=17
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis leans in to Mordax and says, "Maybe he'd have better answers if we started cutting him up?" He grabs the pommel of his sword and glares menacingly at the dwarf in a deliberate attempt to make him nervous.
Intimidate(Assist): 1d20=3+9(s)=12
Vangg wrote:"Whence else ye kin tell us? Ta mayhence be an 'ard ta 'old me friend 'ere from extractin' inf'rmation from ye an ' what nots . . ."
Insight again: 1d20+17=31
Alex wrote:Alex's cold eyes stare at the dwarf, hoping to notice any signs of lies.
Insight (+12): 22.
Mordax wrote:Mordax just keeps tapping away with the hammer; tap, tap, tap, tap, tap . . .
Intimidate: 1d20+9=17
The dwarf looks confused and angry, but he answers as such: "Uhh, uh, what else do you need to know? There's no need to 'extract' nuthin; I just don't know what you want me to say!"

Intimidate (Mordax aided by Straegis): The Dwarf reacts with the appropriate amount of respect (i.e. fear).

Insight (Alex & Vangg): The Dwarf is confused and scared. He's not sure WHY he's being interrogated, and doesn't want to be "cut up" over it ... but, he seems to recognize the crew of the Cave Temple, because he barely looks at anybody else; his gaze lingers longest on the face of Vangg.

As the others interrogate the hostage, Verity steps back a moment to discuss his next set of questions with Davin. They come up with the following:
Diplomacy 21

"Why are 10,000 Dwarves stationed here?"
"Wha? Because of this door. We don't know what's behind it, but we know that all sorts of monsters live in this neck of the Mountains. We didn't want an army of goblins, or a band of Illithid, coming up behind us."

Insight: Vangg and Alex think that's the truth, more-or-less.

"Where does the perpendicular tunnel that meets with this one lead?"
"What do you mean? You mean the hallway you pulled me out of? It leads back to the temporary outpost, where the troops are stationed ... along the Undermountain Road."

Insight: It seems to Vangg and Alex that he's telling the truth.

"What is the size of the Dwarven force protecting the Wise Stone?"
"Protecting the Wise Stone? I dunno. A few dozen? Why would it need protecting? What are you planning to do?"

Insight: He is getting angry now. He obviously realizes you are planning some sort of attack upon an religious monument of his people.

Vangg also realizes that a medium-sized Dwarven settlement sits right near the Wise Stone (the Dwarven equivilent to a town).

"What do you think of the War vs. the Empire?"
"Me? I think it was necessary. The Empire has been slowly surrounding us for years now, and in that while they've destroyed or conquered everyone else around them. We were next. It was strike now or suffer the same fate as countless others."

Insight: With fervent enthusiasm, he thoroughly believes this.

"What does the Magic Mouth say on this door and the other?"
"It's written in Iokharic, but I've been told that one translate to 'What is that which goes with a wagon, comes with a wagon, is of no use to a wagon, and yet the wagon cannot go without it?' and the other translates as 'What cannot be named without being broken?' ... there is a third door, as well, to the left. The words on IT translate as 'When one does not know it, it is something; when one knows it, it is nothing.' ... There's also a complete set of Iokharic letters on each door, probably for answering the questions; but our first translater died trying to answer the third door; the middle door. Since then, Champion Sallowmane tried having a translator tell her which icons to push, but she was still unable to get the door open. So, she commanded the rest of us to leave the riddles alone, and instead to concentrate on mining past the doors ... we think we know the answers to the other two riddles, but we can't try without a translator, and the translators aren't willing to go against the Champion's orders."

Insight: All of that seem true. Furthermore, this dwarf (and probably several others) are frustrated with the situation.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Diplomacy 21
Insight 22
Insight 31
Intimidate 19 (Aid Included)

That's four more successes (seven total), and still no failures.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin busies himself with checking the bodies of the dead Dwarves, and then checking what the live Dwarf has on him.

-Swift
Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Davin busies himself with checking the bodies of the dead Dwarves, and then checking what the live Dwarf has on him.
The corpses possess a a good deal of gold coins between them (357 gp total) and the prisoner possesses another 49 ... he also carries two Potions of Vitality!

Potions of Vitality
These potent curatives heal wounds and can even fix other ailments.
Power (Consumable ✦ Healing): Minor Action. Drink the potion and spend a healing surge. Instead of the hit points you would normally regain, you regain 25 hit points and make one saving throw against an effect that a save can end.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"What ye benamed? An' what ye beknow o' da Cave Temple an' what nots?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:As Davin loots the stranger Straegis says to his allies, "Maybe we should ask him what he knows of our quarry we're tracking, their paths had to have crossed at some point." While still gripping his sword, he turns his attention again to the dwarf and angrily says "How long have you and your oafish brothers been down in these tunnels digging around?"

Intimidate: 1d20=14+9(s)=23 (+any Assists?)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"What ye benamed?"
"Snorri Sablelock"

Vangg wrote:"An' what ye beknow o' da Cave Temple an' what nots?"
"Of the Cave Temple? Not much. Months ago, we heard that some hags and giants slaughtered everyone inside, and took up residence in the temple. The Saga sent a band of heroes to confront the monsters, and a portion of the army followed to back them up. Ever since then, we've been holding the Undermountain road, despite the raging conflict near Etol ..."

"... frankly, we didn't expect to find many survivors, but after months of searching, we haven't found ANY! But, but ... you three, "
indicating Vangg, Juugug, and Verity, "you three are from the Cave Temple, aren't you? You ... you're WoeVanng Diijungghar, aren't you?"

Straegis wrote:As Davin loots the stranger Straegis says to his allies, "Maybe we should ask him what he knows of the quarry we're tracking; their paths had to have crossed at some point." While still gripping his sword, he turns his attention again to the dwarf and angrily says "How long have you and your oafish brothers been down in these tunnels digging around?"
Intimidate: 1d20=14+9(s)=23 (+any Assists?)
"Uhh ... oafish?! Um ... well, a couple months, I'd say."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:21 am

151prooftattoos wrote:"WoeVangg Rinh, please. Dat udder name be an dead ta me's. What ye beknow o' me?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"WoeVangg Rinh, please. Dat udder name be an dead ta me's. What ye beknow o' me?"
"I know that you left your ancestral halls to study at the Cave Temple, to follow the Raven Queen, and to live among the ogres, goblins, and other miscreants." He casts a sideways glance at Juugug as he says this. Juugug responds with a wink and an air kiss (mockingly).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex narrows his eyes and studies the dwarf from the back of the group. His hands folded in the deep sleeves of the lavender robe.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg glares at the dwarf.

"Ye mighthaps wants ta keep ye bedamned lookers outs fer who's ye call miscreants . . . any Rinh be an kin ta me nows."

He looks to Straegis, "What ye besays der friend? Cut some tings offs an' what nots? Ye kin start w' 'is cursespitter if'n ye likes."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:22 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin raises an eyebrow at Vangg's suggestion while dividing the coin, then stands and puts a restraining hand on Straegis' shoulder.

"Just a minute."

Everyone (including Juugug) add 58 gold.

Pulling out a couple rags and a length of rope, Davin binds, gags, and blindfolds Snorri.
Thievery=28 (Tieing him up)

"Let's discuss our next move out of earshot."

Assuming everyone follows, Davin talks low once we are all back near the door (leaving the Dwarf behind).

"Alright. The riddle doors stand before us. Not knowing which is the better choice, I say we choose to follow the path that lies behind the riddle door that we feel most assured to answer correctly."

"The problem is that we can't just leave Snorri behind - he now suspects that we are headed for the Wise Stone, and we don't want to give the Dwarves there any forewarning, and he would eventually be able to open this door. We could take him with us."

"I also like Verity's suggestion - let's try to Send to Talgurmak, perhaps he can give us some direction."

I head to the door and check the peephole.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: Okay, you guys are done with the "Interrogate Snorri" Skill Challenge.
That's 200 XPs each (bringing y'all to 18,197)

Davin wrote:I ... check the peephole.
When Davin first peeks through, the far wall is dimly illuminated by faint torch light; but the torchlight quickly fades, leaving the hallway in darkness. It is seemingly empty, now.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Alright, alright, so I won't cut him...YET! Make sure he is securely bound and gagged, we surely don't need him alerting anyone. As for you my ignorant little friend, if you know whats good for ya, you'll do as your told!" With that Straegis kicks the little oaf square in his backside, not so much intent on damaging him as intimidating him into submission.

Intimidate: 1d20=10+9(s)=19
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"O.K. - the riddles."

"What is that which goes with a wagon, comes with a wagon, is of no use to a wagon, and yet the wagon cannot go without it? This one is for the door we're behind, so we don't need to answer it now. If we need to come back this way, we can decide then."

"What cannot be named without being broken? Verity and Alex thought the answer to this one was "Silence", and I agree. This is the door across the hall, and I think this is the door we should choose."

"When one does not know it, it is something; when one knows it, it is nothing. This is the door across the hall to the left. I don't think anyone had a clear frontrunner for this one. So we skip it."

"It looks like the coast is clear. I'll keep watch down the hall. Straegis - you know a bit of Iokharic, and it's going to be magical, so you and Alex should check out the door. Let's figure out how we are going to open it, and then use a Sending ritual to try and contact Talgarnuk. Verity, Vangg, Juugug - you guys should figure out what you want to say."

"Sound good?"

I'll take 10 on Thievery (29) to open this door, and then take 10 on Stealth (26) and Perception (31) and take position at the edge of the our parties' light source, down the hall in the direction I saw the light receding a moment ago.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am

magicspellz12 wrote:"Well, I've been pondering it and I think the first one is Noise, and the last one is Secret...but...I'm not *that* confident, so yes, the path is clear."

Alex shifts over to the secret door and begins to probe it magically, his hands invisible as he lifts his now heavily draped arms up to the door. He closes his eyes and looks for magic.

Arcana: 32
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Before stepping away from the captive the Knight puts a reassuring hand on his shoulder.
“You have proven forthright with us thus far and you remain mostly intact. Remain truthful and do nothing to betray us to your kinsman and so you shall stay.
“Mine allies are a hard lot, and so they should be. It is hard steel that has brought us this far and not soft words.
“But know this: our quest is not against you or any other dwarf loyal to the Clan Heads. Indeed we seek to bring this damnable war to a quick end. T’will surely preserve many dwarven lives and deliver your people from hardship back to prosperity. You are not our enemy. You may even see fit to aid us before our quest is done, though I’m quite sure that seems most unlikely just now. Aid us or no, you will not leave our company alive if you choose to stand against us. I tell you this that you may one day tell your grandchildren how you were there, at the beginning of the end of this war of lies.”

Dipomacy: 24 with Astral Speech (rolled a 2 Sad )

Verity catches up to the party his brow knit in thought. “What to tell Talgarnuk, Hmmm. Surely that help is on the way, but does he need be warned of the dwarf regiment? Which way did he go from here? Davin, did ye see sign of his passing?”
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Me knows exactlies whats ta besays . . . dat ways 'im beknows dat livin' Rinhs, 'is family, headfasts ta 'im."

Vangg chuckles, "Sendeth dis:

'Ye foul an' stinketh slime dat crawleth 'round da depths . . . dat maketh an bedamned traps dat ain't worth Troll snot . . . an Dwarf, an Go'bin, ans an Knight . . . all o' da Queen, an' o' da Great Rinh, follow ye no-sneakin'-ability havin' footsteps. Troubles belie a'ead . . . turn ye backforth an' join ye family, join ye fate."

Vangg looks to Juugug, "Unless me bein' too nice, ye 'ave any sharp insults an' what nots? Mayhaps call 'im an spawn o' lizard pus an' ah Go'bin?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:""What cannot be named without being broken? Verity and Alex thought the answer to this one was "Silence", and I agree. This is the door across the hall, and I think this is the door we should choose."
Alex wrote:"Alex shifts over to the door and begins to probe it magically, his hands invisible as he lifts his now heavily draped arms up to the door. He closes his eyes and looks for magic.

Arcana: 32
Alex steps over to the door across the hall and sees that -- like the dwarf described -- two sets of Iokharic runes are inscribed upon it; an iron valve wheel juts out beneath the lower set. Alex concentrates and surely detects magic (emenating from all three doors, not just the one in front of him). As he studies the door, a stone mouth forms on the surface of the door (between the two sets of symbols) and speaks the following: "Waad kannod dee naned wadod daeng drogan?"

Verity wrote:“You have proven forthright with us thus far and you remain mostly intact. Remain truthful and do nothing to betray us to your kinsman and so you shall stay."

Mine allies are a hard lot, and so they should be. It is hard steel that has brought us this far and not soft words."

“But know this: our quest is not against you or any other dwarf loyal to the Clan Heads. Indeed we seek to bring this damnable war to a quick end. T’will surely preserve many dwarven lives and deliver your people from hardship back to prosperity. You are not our enemy. You may even see fit to aid us before our quest is done, though I’m quite sure that seems most unlikely just now."

"Aid us or no, you will not leave our company alive if you choose to stand against us. I tell you this that you may one day tell your grandchildren how you were there, at the beginning of the end of this war of lies.”

Dipomacy: 24 with Astral Speech (rolled a 2)
Blindfolded, bound, and gagged ... the prisoner doesn't respond.

Verity wrote:Which way did he go from here? Davin, did ye see sign of his passing?”
Davin takes a look, and sees that the tracks continue straight ahead, through the door Alex is currently examining.

Vangg wrote:"Sendeth dis:

'Ye foul an' stinketh slime dat crawleth 'round da depths . . . dat maketh an bedamned traps dat ain't worth Troll snot . . . an Dwarf, an Go'bin, ans an Knight . . . all o' da Queen, an' o' da Great Rinh, follow ye no-sneakin'-ability havin' footsteps. Troubles belie a'ead . . . turn ye backforth an' join ye family, join ye fate."

Vangg looks to Juugug, "Unless me bein' too nice, ye 'ave any sharp insults an' what nots? Mayhaps call 'im an spawn o' lizard pus an' ah Go'bin?"
"Is yer noggin' afull o' stones? Dat be too many words! 'Sides, ye gotsta say even da bedamned dwarf cin outclever 'is traps, an 'e can'even counts right!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex keeps his lips tightly shut. But motions for Straegis to come over with a finger to his mouth.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity waits for Straegis to answer the riddle by saying “Silence“in Ioharic before he continues.

“For the sending, how about ‘Verity, Vangg, Jugugg, comrades follow from riddle trapped chamber. Fine work, that. Bear proof against Rockbenders. Beware dwarf regiment undermountain road south. Praise the Queen!” What do you think?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis steps up to assist Alex at the door, he does his best to understand the words and wishes to himself that he could have spent more time studying the books he bought in Brackwater. Hoping he remembers the word correctly, he looks to his friends and shrugs. If they all seem to be in agreement, he will say the word aloud in Iokharic.

Intelligence: 1d20=13+8=21
Arcana(assist): 1d20=2+15(s)=17
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 am

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Verity will aid Straegis' intelligence check if necessary: 14 total
Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:O.O.C.: Guessing there on the Int. check and modifier, didn't know if that was what we'd need or not, lemme know if its wrong.
OOC: An INT check is fine for remembering something.

Straegis kinda thinks that he remembers the word: kyad ... or maybe it was zyran?
Actually, those might habe meant the same thing. Hmm.

Straegis wrote:Hoping he remembers the word correctly, he looks to his friends and shrugs. If they all seem to be in agreement, he will say the word aloud in Iokharic.

Intelligence(?): 1d20=13+8=21
Straegis steps up and says "Kyad" but nothing happens.
So, he tries "Zyran," but still, nothing.

Verity wrote:OCC: Verity will aid Straegis' intelligence check if necessary: 14 total
OOC: How? I don't think Verity has studied any Iokharic, so I'm having trouble conceptualizing how he might help Straegis remember a specific word. Got any ideas?

Alex wrote:Arcana: 32 +2 = 34
Straegis wrote:Arcana(assist): 1d20=2+15(s)=17
At the same time, Alex and Straegis both recall the dwarf's words: "There's also a complete set of Iokharic letters on each door, probably for answering the questions; but our first translater died trying to answer ... Champion Sallowmane tried having a translator tell her which icons to push." Suddenly it dawns on them, maybe the answer isn't meant to be spoken?

Looking at the runes on the door, it's easy to see that the first set of runes is a series of words strung together to form a sentence (probably Waad kannod dee naned wadod daeng drogan?). The second set seems to be the complete Iokharic alphabet, just as the Dwarf described.

Loosley transliterated, those would be ...
A aa ae D ee K Y P G H dg K R M N nn O ky S sz W ks Z

The iron valve probably needs to be turned to open the door (after the correct the answer is given).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“For the sending, how about ‘Verity, Vangg, Jugugg, comrades follow from riddle trapped chamber. Fine work, that. Bear proof against Rockbenders. Beware dwarf regiment undermountain road south. Praise the Queen!' What do you think?"
"What?! 'Ave ye learnt nuthins wit' me dis pass years! 'Ee'll be thinkin' its da trickeries an' fooleries o' hags if'n ye kiss 'is arse so much! Tell'm 'is traps be da work o' buffoons an' we be trackin' 'im by 's stinkin' kobo'd odors fer miles now!!" Juugug's words are a little loud for comfort, given your surroundings.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin gives Juugug a look and whispers back to his companions.

"Can't you cast a ritual that will let you speak and read Iokaric?"

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 35 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 35  Next