Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 30 of 35 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 30 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:53 am

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: Since Davin is the only one left, could you post the monsters actions now? I want to see if the drow and the ogre get wakey.
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: I can't see the map. It's kind of important.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 30 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: Since Davin is the only one left, could you post the monsters actions now? I want to see if the drow and the ogre get wakey.
?! Mordax and Vangg haven't posted for Round 2, yet. So, posting the monsters' Round 3 actions seems kinda premature. But, I'll roll their Saves so you can plan your round: 7 & 13. The Drow will stay asleep, the Ogre will get up.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
PostImage wasn't working earlier. Let me see if it is now ...
Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 30 AV2bQYCJ

DM EDIT: This was working last night. Today it's down again.
Here, I'll throw it up on Flickr:
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am

Malazek wrote:
PostImage wasn't working earlier. Let me see if it is now ...
Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 30 AV2bQYCJ

DM EDIT: This was working last night. Today it's down again.
Here, I'll throw it up on Flickr:
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Could you give a rundown of our party's Hps?
Malazek wrote:
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Could you give a rundown of our party's Hps?
OOC: Well, technically, no. I can only tell you if they're bloodied or not. I believe Hound, Mordax, and Straegis are Bloodied.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Round 2 (Full) Recap & Resolution ...

Malazek wrote:Because the entire opposing team acts on the same Init, I'll post "mid round" ...

Init 26
Davin drops his crossbow, draws his bow, and then shakes off the disorienting effects of the mindblast.

Verity delays.

The Drow steps past Straegis, invoking an attack from warlord; but the Drow ripostes the attack, and continues on ... repeatedly swinging his blades at Hound, cutting the mutt deeply. In comical fashion, the Dark Elf then falls asleep.

Straegis's OA: CRIT! 30 Damage.
Whirling Riposte vs. Straegis: 28 vs AC. 11 Damage
Blade Mastery vs Hound: 26 & 24 vs AC. 13+10 Damage
AP: Blade Mastery vs Hound: 26 & CRIT vs AC. 12+11 Damage
Save = 9

Mandibula then lumbers forward, battering Straegis from afar with his mantis-like claws. His mandibles twitch in anticipation of a tasty meal.

34 & 20 vs Straegis's AC: 14 Damage & Miss.
Save = 19

The Grimlock climbs onto one of the boxes, trapping Straegis in a flank ... and then brings her nasty battle axe down upon the Marshal.

31 vs Straegis's AC: 13 Damage
Save = 17

Kersh yells "Flail Hurricane!!" and begins swinging his monstrous flail around in circles; it catches Straegis, Verity, and Hound! Then, like the Drow, the ogre falls asleep.

30 vs. Straegis's AC: 18 Damage & Knocked Prone
23 vs Verity's AC: Miss!
24 vs. Hound's AC: 18 Damage (Hound is already Prone).
Save = 6

The Illithid tries to shift toward the Aquamancer, which incurrs an attack from Mordax; the soldier's weapon hits, and stops the mastermind in his tracks. Unable to move, the Mindflayer turns his deadly tentacles on his attacker.

Mordax's OA: 32 vs. AC. 14 Damage.
Tentacles: 35 vs. Mordax's AC: 17 Damage and Grabbed
AP: Bore into the Brain: 29 vs AC. 12 Damage and Dazed

Init 23
Alex unloads a downpour of burning shards upon the enemy! It bounces harmlessly off the Umberhulk's chitinous hide, but causes serious harm to the others (especially since the Drow and the Ogre are sleeping).

The Drow is Bloodied.

Once the mage has finished, Verity springs into action. After saying a quick prayer for Davin, he leaps over the unconscious Drow, landing in thick of it! His glorious crown of raidance burns all around him!

OOC: The battlefield changed since you posted, so I adjusted your movement to avoid OA while still catching the foes who were sleeping.

Davin: Make a Save at +5. If successful, post the rest of your actions.
Jump (to avoid OA from Grimlock): 24 (good enough).
CoG: 21 damage to the Drow and the Ogre, 18 damage to the Umberhulk.
All three are re-Slowed

Init 14
Juugug heals Mordax, and then runs around behind the Mindflayer. he swings mace against the dangerous foe, but misses.

Mordax: Spend a Surge and heal an extra +2d6+4.
Juugug's Mace Attack: 9, Miss

Hound gets up, bites the downed Ogre, and then charges the Mindflayer.
Counted his Attack against Kersh as a Coup de Grace: 21 Damage.
His attack against the Illithid knocks it Prone (thanks to Juugug)

Straegis shifts around to line up with Verity, and delivers a terrible blow to the downed Drow. Somehow, unbelievably, the Dark Elf does not die!
Applied the Coup de Grace to the Drow, since the Grimlock was not downed.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

That's all of Round 2, EXCEPT Mordax and Vangg.
(And the rest of Davin's actions, if his Save is Successful).
OOC: I realize we are having map trouble, but I don't want the game to come to screaching halt because of it. I'll try to put the maps up here AND on flickr until PostImage is back to normal. Regardless, 24 hours is up at 9:11 this morning; so, I need to make judgements call and move on ...

Init 8
Planting his foot on the chest of the Illithid, Mordax shoves the villian away, breaking it's hold on him ... and then swings his mighty hammer down upon the thing's cranium

Athletic vs Fortitude to Escape: 28
Reaping Strike: 30 to Hit, 15 damage

Vangg prays for Straegis from a distance, and then blasts the Mindlfayer with fire from da Queen.

Healing Word: Straegis can spend a Surge and gains an extra +2d6+10.
Sacred Flame vs Illithid: CRIT! 18 Damage and Mordax can EITHER gain 7 Temporary HPs OR roll a Save.
NOTE: The Mindflayer is Bloodied
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

On to Round 3 ...

OOC: Since Davin's actions are posted (and he's the only one who beat the monster's Initiative), I'll post the monsters, too (as suggested by Magicspellz).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 am

Malazek wrote:Initiative 26

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 54/66; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=7/8, SV:16, Action Points=0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 93/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 SV:26, Action Points=1

Round 3
Davin - Initiative=26
Minor - Activate Hemingr's Precision
Standard - Attacks on the Run the Illithid to T4
Action Point - Coup De Grace (Two-Fang Strike) Drow
Free - Arc Lightning Drow (target and all within 2 take 1d6 lightning damage)
Move - Run to CC4

Attacks on the Run 1=27
Attacks on the Run 2=25
AotR Damage 1=35
AotR Damage 2=13(26/2)
Twin Fang Strike=Crit
TFS Damage=50
Hunter's Quarry Damage=16

Lightning Crit Bonus=4
Arc Lightning Damage (Drow)=4
Arc Lightning Damage (Ogre)=4
Arc Lightning Damage (Grimlock)=3
Arc Lightning Damage (Mandibula)=4
Finally able to do something, Davin runs into melee, firing arrows into the Mindflayer as he goes; when he reaches the downed Drow, he fires two lethal arrows into it's chest. Then, he retreats, at full speed, to cover down the hall. The Mindflayer and the Drow are Dead.

Free of the Illithid's control, Mandibula cautiously backs away, and then turns tail to flee
Move: Shift, Standard: Run, AP: Run .. to KL34
EDIT: Changed distance to account for "slow."

Also free, the Grimlock follows the Umberhulk.
Move & Standard: Runs to O2.
EDIT: Changed distance to account for "slow."

Kersh the Ogre gets up and looks around. Realizing his predicament is a precarious one, he pleads for mercy.
"Id aint my fault!"

Onto Alex & Verity at Init 23, and then to everyone else and the rest of the round ...

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 30 Pq2m9mur
Flickr
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:HP: 29/44; AP 0; HS 4/6

Alex scowls as the others turn tail. He throws his hands out and the last remnants of the puddle at his feet shift across the floor, underneath the feet of Straegis, the Ogre and Verity, and even under the dead body of the drow. It finally comes to rest behind the pleading ogre as a swirling pool of writhing puddles.

"Do not run!"

-------------
Grave Fog: Puddles writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes psychic damage equal to 7 and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

DM EDIT: You're placing this behind him, so that he cannot run, correct?

-------------

He pushes his lavender hood back as his cold eyes pierce into those of the ogre. "Why should we spare you?!" He summons a bolt of water from the air with a swipe of his hand, and chills it to freezing. The cold globe spins above his palm.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity says, "We should spare him because he was not acting of his own will, and also because he's about to tell us what he can of any specific dangers ahead. Isn't that right Kersh? Also, a basic map would be helpful. Now toss that wrecking ball you call a flail well away and tell us what you know, ogre."

Diplomacy: 30
Verity maintains the slowed effect.

DM EDIT: Wrecking ball: hehe. Funny. It's a bit anachronistic, tho.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II: HP:38/69 AC:27 Fort:21 Ref:21 Will:18 Healing Surges:7/8 Action Points:1

Healing Surge: 17+(2d6=4+10=14)=31

Straegis stands up and dusts himself off, and then agrees with Verity "We shouldn't kill them, yet, but we will if we have too. Now do as he says Ogre, and toss that flail away." He motions toward Mandibula and the Grimlock and says, "You two, I suggest you listen to my ally and don't go any further." Straegis readies his sword for any aggressive or offensive maneuvers.

Diplomacy(Assist Verity): 1d20=19+2(half-lvl)=21
Intimidate(grimlock)1d20=7+9(s)=16
Intimidate(umber hulk): 1d20=2+9(s)=11

O.O.C.: In the unlikely event of a threat or perceived threat against us, Straegis will ready Lead the Attack on whichever fool has chosen to end their own life now.

DM EDIT: Intimidating and Readying are both Standard Actions; so, you can't Ready and Intimidate in the same round (unless you have an AP to spend).

Move: To Attack.
Standard: Lead the Attack on aforementioned victim.

Attack: 1d20=14+13(s)=27
Damage: 3d8=13+8(s)=21

O.O.C.2: On Hit- all allies within 5 sq. gain +5 power bonus to attack the target (Warlord- Lead the Attack) until the end of the encounter, On Miss- Everyone is +1 to attack the target. On a somewhat lighter note, I got whacked for 56 points of damage in that last round, sorta glad this one ended when it did, gulp!?!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg will use Healing Word and First Aid to bring his allies closer to full health.

DM EDIT: Oh, I used your Healing Word last round, when I had to make a judgement call (and you had mentioned healing was your plan). I don't think you have any left, now (you only get 2 per Encounter, right?).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Init 23

Alex throws down som grave fog to stop the ogre from fleeing, and says "Do not run! .. Why should we spare you?!"

Verity answers for him, saying "We should spare him because he was not acting of his own will, and also because he's about to tell us what he can of any specific dangers ahead. Isn't that right Kersh? Also, a basic map would be helpful. Now toss that thing you call a flail well away and tell us what you know, ogre."

Diplomacy 30.

Init 14

Straegis gets up and adds, "We shouldn't kill them, yet, but we will if we have too. Now do as he says Ogre, and toss that flail away."

Then, he yells "You two, I suggest you listen to my ally and don't go any further" to the two who already running down the hall.

Diplomacy (Assist Verity) =21
Intimidate (grimlock) =16
Intimidate (umber hulk) =11

Kershe drops his flail and says, "Yeah, yeah, dat's right! I cin help yas. I cin tell ya wut I knows about da roads ahead! An,' an,' t'is wadn't my free violation."

Hound licks his wounds, watching in anticipation.
DM CALL: He readies to bite the Ogre, if the Ogre attacks.

Juugug rushes over to make sure Azzy and Snorri are alright.

Init 8
What is Mordax doing?
Vangg is using First Aid? On whom?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex lets his puddle waters fall, and takes a deep breath.

------------
Second wind: +11 HP from 29 to 40.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am

The Witch-King wrote:HP:78/43 AC:28/27(bloodied) Fort:20 Ref:18 Will:16 Healing Surges:11/10 Action Points:0

Healed somewhat (2d6+4=16) Mordax staggers to the wall and sits, hands massaging his bloodied temple.

OOC: Let us know when we've had a "short rest" and can spend "as many healing surges as we like outside of combat".
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"So what dangers can you tell us of, and how might we know they are eminent. Thai is, how might we know a particular danger is nearby?"

Maintaining that slowed effect.
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Ok, good call...I'll intimidate this round and ready the action next round, if its necessary. Oh, and I added wrong earlier, Straegis will be at 44/69 HP, not 38.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"So what dangers can you tell us of, and how might we know they are iminent."
"Uhh ..." Looking around, Kersh says "I not sure which way we come from. Me t'inks dat way, maybe?" Pointing south, he adds "Mine flayers dat way ... grimelocks, too." Then, he rubs his chin, points north, and says "Hmm. Drow dat way, maybe?"

Verity wrote:That is, how might we know a particular danger is nearby?"
He says, as if remembering a rhyme, "If ya see holes roun,' in means eye tyrands aboun'."

"An,' If slimey river wet ya, Aboleth gonna getcha."

"An,' Chains an' pick near lake, Kuo - toa gonna take you, oh. Err, sumtin' like dat."

"Hmm. Can'd 'member none more fer now."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 am

Malazek wrote:BTW: 1700 XPs for everyone (that's 20,097 total).
Also, that was a difficult encounter, and counts as two miles stones (so, you get 1 AP back).
Swifthand wrote:I check the bodies of the Illithid and Drow, stowing my Crossbow before I do. Then I start to inspect the area, trying to pick up the tracks I was following.

Perception=35

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex nods as the ogre reveals his information. Seeing the potential for another bodyguard, Alex asks the giant creature.

"What will you do now we have set you free from your master and exercised mercy upon you despite your actions towards us? It would appear you are much more greatly in our debt than giving us a few hints about what lies in each direction."
151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg approaches Kersh and raises an eyebrow at him.

"What besay ye Ogre? Ye e'er 'eard o' da Great Rinh? Be ah Ogre likens unta ye?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 am

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I check the bodies of the Illithid and Drow, stowing my Crossbow before I do.
Perception=35
The Drow's blades are extremely ornate, and might be worht something (especially as a matched pair).
Other than those, however, the bodies don't see to have much of value.
The pair together is worth 1000 gp. If Alex or Straegis checks them later, they are NOT magical.

Alex wrote:"What will you do now we have set you free from your master and exercised mercy upon you despite your actions towards us? It would appear you are much more greatly in our debt than giving us a few hints about what lies in each direction."
"Dunno how to gits outta o' dese caves ... maybe I follow ya alls?"

Vangg wrote:"What besay ye Ogre? Ye e'er 'eard o' da Great Rinh? Be ah Ogre likens unta ye?
"Da Great Rinh? Rinh o' da temple cave? Yeah, me heared o' him 'efore. Ogres say many t'ings 'bout Rinh ... Me heared da Ravenous Queen favor 'im." Kersh looks down and wrinkles his brow. Pointing to Vangg's black feather symbol, Kersh says "Id'nt dis da symbol of da Ravenous Queen? Why ya huntin' da Rinh, den?"

Davin wrote:Then I start to inspect the area, trying to pick up the tracks I was following.

Perception=35
At this point, Davin hears something: scraping metal, pattering feet, whispering voices ... someone's coming.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Swift, see if Davin can figure whether they are looking for us or just happen to be coming this way.
Halcyon wrote:OCC: Shhh, listen...Is that 10th level...sneaking...down-the-hall?

[The above was phrased in honor of William Shatner's birthday. Thanks for the hilarious fight scenes and flawless over-acting there Captain Kirk!]
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:"Behunt da Great Rinh? Nigh an' nay. Us not 'untin' ogre. Who ye behunt down 'ere? Ye downs 'ere fer an partic'lar reasons an' what nots?

Insight: 30

13+17
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - What direction are the noises coming from? Has Hound or I had any chance to spend surges?

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"Behunt da Great Rinh? Nigh an' nay. Us not 'untin' ogre. Who ye behunt down 'ere? Ye downs 'ere fer an partic'lar reasons an' what nots?

13+17
"I dunno."
Vangg senses that he's telling the truth.

Davin wrote:O.O.C. - What direction are the noises coming from? Has Hound or I had any chance to spend surges?
North (right, on the map).

Nobody has had time to spend surges, and you have NOT recovered encounter or daily powers If you have your second wind still (or any power you'd like the expend), then you may heal from those.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:00 pm

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"Behunt da Great Rinh? Nigh an' nay. Us not 'untin' ogre. Who ye behunt down 'ere? Ye downs 'ere fer an partic'lar reasons an' what nots?

13+17
"I dunno."
Vangg senses that he's telling the truth.

Davin wrote:O.O.C. - What direction are the noises coming from? Has Hound or I had any chance to spend surges?
North (right, on the map).

Nobody has had time to spend surges, and you have NOT recovered encounter or daily powers If you have your second wind still (or any power you'd like the expend), then you may heal from those.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex's arm flies in a wide arc, gathering up all the water around the battlefield towards him and back into his waterskin. "You'd better help us if we have trouble here; ogre."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:Alex's arm flies in a wide arc, gathering up all the water around the battlefield towards him and back into his waterskin. "You'd better help us if we have trouble here; ogre."
Looking around, he asks "Cin me gits me flail?"
Halcyon wrote:"Yes Kersh, and so long as you call us allies you can keep it."

OCC: If we don't get new encounter powers, do we stil have the old ones active? I'm wondering if we still have telepathy. I had still been actively maintaining a power from the encounter if that makes a difference.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 35 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35  Next