Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 31 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex narrows his eyes. This creature has seemed honestly confused for so long. He offers a nod and stands behind it.

"Turn on us and you'll face the same fate as the drow. Nevermind draining the blood from your head. I'll tear it from your veins."
Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:OCC: If we don't get new encounter powers, do we stil have the old ones active? I'm wondering if we still have telepathy. I had still been actively maintaining a power from the encounter if that makes a difference.
Yes, telepathy is still up. Yes, you can still be maintaining your slow effect.
Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Yes Kersh, and so long as you call us allies you can keep it."
Alex wrote:Alex narrows his eyes. This creature has seemed honestly confused for so long. He offers a nod and stands behind it.
"Turn on us and you'll face the same fate as the drow. Nevermind draining the blood from your head. I'll tear it from your veins."
Quietly, he picks up his flail and tries to hide behind one of the boxes.
Stealth = 7.
Malazek wrote:Juugug will use his last healing word to heal Straegis.
Streagis can spend a surge and gain +2d6+4.

Then, the Goblin priest says "Sturgis! T'ink mayhaps ye can say a kind words fer da mutt, an' whatnots? 'E's lickin' 'is wounds from dat las' battle ... Brutha Vangg, let me 'elp ye wit' da firs' aids ... who needs healin's?"

OOC: With no time to rest, it might be a good idea for everyone who's hurt to spend their Second Winds (one surge). It might also be wise for people to use their healing powers (Straegis's Inspring Words, Alex's Soothing Waters (maybe), Vanng's Cure Light/Serious Wounds, Verity's Lay Hands, etc).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 31 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity: HP 75/75; AC 27 Fort 21 Ref 21 Will 24; Healing Surges=10/11, Action Points=2

Telepathically, “Be ready for the attack. I’ve healing if there’s need. Move behind ‘dem boxes der Kersh. We'll stop them here.”

Standard: Ready a charge at the first enemy who enters row N
Move: to cover at Q1
Minor: Lay on Hands anyone who approaches for healing or Ready a potion of vitality if no one approaches.
Free: Drop the slow effect on the Ogre
Free: Speak, direct Kersh to O3-4

OCC: By “Be ready for the attack,” Verity is suggesting that you ready an action. Usually that will cause you to attack before the enemy. A readied action counts as a standard action. With a "readied" attack, the order you attack depends on what you describe as the “trigger” to you’re readied action (for example: “at the first sign of aggression” or “after Alex blasts them all”.)

Very rarely an enemy with the right readied action will go before you, but it’s still better than leaving it to chance with an initiative roll. Usually.

You also lose your action if your trigger does not occur, so try to be pretty broad with the trigger description. Like if they all start flinging arrows from afar, Verity is hosed this round.

Another good option would be to "delay" your initiative until after the party casters have nuked the bad guys, then go mop up. Beats getting caught in a flame strike.

This has been an editorial by Halcyon. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Malazek, the Witch King, Fern Ferret Studios, or the Internet.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:03 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:HP: 40/44; AP 1; HS 3/6

Alex has no spells left that could help, his hands are covered with globes of water in ready for a battle.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 54/66; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=7/8, SV:16, Action Points=1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 99/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=5/8 SV:26, Action Points=2

"Cyl, tysti." ("Hound, come.")

Davin will retreat closer to the party and hide behind a box, calling Hound over to hide next to him as he does. Feeding the mutt a healing potion, Hound takes a moment to lick his wounds and gather himself, and then crouches behind the corner of the staircase.

Round 0
Davin - Initiative=16 (if needed)
Move - To Z5, then hide behind box
Standard - Readied action (Twin Strike), trigger - fire when I can see the orcs at long range
Note - Hemingr's Precision & see invisible are both still active.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound - Initiative=11 (if needed)
Move - To Z6, then hide behind wall
Standard - Second Wind (Spend surge, +2 to defenses until the start of next turn)

Nature=24 (who's approaching?)
Insight=20 (are they aware of us?)
Stealth=18
Stealth=24

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Stealth=18
Davidge, Juugug thinks telepathically, Yer 'bout as silen' as a dwarf in a room full o' chimes, an' 'bout as 'idden as a ogrey in 'shroom patch. Fin' a betta spot!

OOC: Move to a new square and make a new Stealth check, this time at +4.

Davin wrote:Perception = 35
Nature = 24
Judging by the tempo of the footsteps, and the pitch of the voices, Davin supposes these creatures are most likely medium-sized humanoids; between 20 and 30 of them. They're speaking a language Davin doesn't understand, but would guess is in the giant-tongue.

20-30 medium-sized Gaint-tongue-speakers? These must be Orcs.
There about a minute away.

Davin wrote:Insight = 20
Based on the awkward cadence of their speech, Davin suspects that the "orcs" ARE already aware of the party, and are only pretending to be casually oblivious.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Per Juugug's advice, Davin slips sideways to AA4.

Stealth=40

Using the telepathy granted by Verity, Davin shares the knowledge gleaned from his Elven senses with the party.

"Orcs approach us from the North (right on the map) ,between 20-30 of them, about a minute away, and they are aware of us. Everyone, heal up and take the time to hide, we can all help one another and should be able to ambush them. I have 2 more healing potions if anyone needs them."

"Cyl, pyrn." ("Hound, down.")

Hound ducks a bit lower, disappearing further into the shadows.

Move - To AA4, Stealth
Standard - Aid Hound's Stealth (now a 28)

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:HP:78/73 AC:28/27(bloodied) Fort:20 Ref:18 Will:16 Healing Surges:11/7 Action Points: 1

Second wind heals me a bit.

Staggering over to Verity and/or Davin, Mordax thinks "Aye laddies, if ye've any tae spare I be hurtin' outright."

Once healed, he'll move to BB3, net and hammer at the ready.

Init: 1d20+4=23
Stealth: 1d20+7=16
Readied Action: Net Sweep Stnd, close burst 1, Str vs. Fort 1d20+3=15, 1d6+3 1d6+3=8, and the target is slowed, –2 att until the end of my next turn, and knocked prone on anything that steps into range (hoping to tangle up a bunch at the pinch-point).

OOC: Right. Heal 2d6=9 and another 10 for 1 potion. Not quite at full, but much better.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Swifthand wrote:I give Mordax 1 or 2 healing potions, whatever he requires.

-Swift
Swifthand wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Standard - Readied action (Twin Strike), trigger - fire when I can see the orcs at long range
O.O.C. - Just wanted to note that I changed my trigger - mine as well start killing at 50 sq.

-Swift
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Em, how much does a healing potion heal again?
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Been gone all day, I see the forums been busy. I'm gonna post right now but I wanted to get this out there for you guys, Straegis has 2 Inspiring Words left, he will use them for Hound and Mordax, spend Healing Surge regain HP +2d6. Hey Mal, can I use my rolls since noone acted up?

DM EDIT: That's fine with me, as long as you're gonna use Lead the Attack, still
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Swifthand wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Em, how much does a healing potion heal again?
A healing potion gives no "extra" healing, it only allows you to spend a surge; instead of your surge value, you get 10 hit points.

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: ...Hound and Mordax, spend Healing Surge regain HP +2d6...
Got it, Thanks!

Inspiring Word=8

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Vangg still has Cure Serious and Cure light wounds, but saving them for what comes next.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:I will post more in the morning, hopefully. For now, this is what it looks like a split second BEFORE any readied actions go off. NOTE: The areas outside the light are too dark for most people to see into (Davin can see the whole map clearly; Alex can see into the dark, but not necessarily to the far end..

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 31 AV2jOkkJ

Davin might as well drop some rolls on that Readied Action.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II: HP:69/69 AC:27 Fort:21 Ref:21 Will:18 Healing Surges:6/8 Action Points:2

Healing Surge: 17+(2d6=4+4=8 )=25

Straegis moves thru his friends, encouraging Hound and Mordax along the way. Realizing the gravity of the present situation, he heads toward the incoming danger, intent on leading the attack into their next challenge. He does his best to hide himself in amongst the rubble of the crumbling statue.

Stealth: 1d20=4+2(half-lvl)+4(assistances?)=10
Initiative: 1d20=13+6(s)=19

Move: To Y2.

Readied/Delayed(?):
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II:
Move: To Attack.
Standard: Lead the Attack on (?).

Attack: 1d20=14+13(s)=27
Damage: 3d8=13+8(s)=21

O.O.C.2: On Hit- all allies within 5 sq. gain +5 power bonus to attack the target (Warlord- Lead the Attack) until the end of the encounter, On Miss- Everyone is +1 to attack the target until the end of the encounter.

O.O.C.: I don't know if I did that right on Stealth roll, isn't it +4 because of telelpathy? I could probably use some help with that! Straegis will not necessarily attack the first enemy in line, he intends to get a look at who/what is coming and attack one of the more formidable foes of the group. I'm not sure if this can be done with a readied action or if he must delay, plz. edit.

EDIT: Hey Mal, the move I listed earlier to Y2 would translate to B10 on your new map.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 54/66; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=7/8, SV:16, Action Points=1
Hound: HP 99/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=5/8 SV:26, Action Points=2

Round 1
Note - If Davin can Aid Straegis in Stealth (or anyone else) in the rounds before the orcs get to 50 sq., he will.

Davin - Initiative=1 before Orcs
Standard - Readied action (Twin Strike), trigger - fire when I can see the orcs at long range, Orcs in B64 & C64
Note - Hemingr's Precision & see invisible are both still active.
Hound - Initiative=11 (if needed)
Standard - Ready action (Hit and Run), trigger - when orcs are in melee range

Twin Strike 1=19
Twin Strike 2=31
TS1 Damage=miss
TS2 Damage=5
Stealth=28

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Halcyon wrote:Wait for the arrows to fly, then:
"C'mon Kersh. Help bolster the defenses before their assault. You know, in times like these it's important to think about the future. Pray to the Queen, Ogre, that ye not meet her this day."

Standard: move
Move: to B13
Minor: pick up box
Free: drop box in C14
Free: speak

Basic attack if needed:
22 to hit , 7 damage
Initiative if needed: 13
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis will tell everyone telepathically to try not to pass the broken statue a few feet past Mordax. That way, no matter how many of them come at a time, they can only pass that point three wide.

O.O.C.: I'm talking about not passing A-E 15.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: It's not been anywhere near 24 hours, but since the Orcs are SO far away, I figured I'd move things along, anyway ...

Round 1?

Init 4
The Orcs rush forward. Davin fires, felling one of their number.

Round 2?

Init 26
Juugug readies Sacred Flame against any Orcs who get past the line (that is, any who come into range).

Init 23
Mordax keeps his net at the ready, eager to tangle-up any Orcs who get too close.

Init 21
Clamouring over the boxes, Kersh charges forward at full speed.

Init 19
Straegis moves forward, looking for a better hiding spot. After getting behind some rubble, he gets ready to Lead the Attack.

Init 16
Alex delays.
OOC: The Orcs are still far enough away you'll have time this round to do whatever's necessary. With that in mind, I didn't want to decide your actions.

Init 14
Snorri mumbles something unintelligible from under his gag.

Init 13
Forgetting the charge he was planning, Verity moves a heavy box over to the front of the line.

Init 11
Hound readies to bite the first Orc that gets next to him.

Edit ...
Init 9
Vangg casts Consecrated Ground, sending jagged lines of radiance across the floor.

Init 6
Azzy delays.

Init 5
Davin fires again.

DM EDIT: Swift told me via phone to roll these for him. One hit, One miss. Another Orc Down.

Init 4
The Orcs charge forward again.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 31 PqqsB0
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Initiative: 9 (Roll)

WoeVangg: HP: 71/71 AC:20 Fort:18 Ref:16 Will:23 Healing Surges:11/11 AP:2

Standard: Cast Consecrated Ground
Minor: None
Move: Move Center of spell to E-11

OOC: Will Sustain Minor

DM EDIT: Okay, I went ahead and edited this into the post above. Go ahead and post your next action (unless Sustaining is all you're doing)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08 pm

The Witch-King wrote:HP:78/73 AC:28/27(bloodied) Fort:20 Ref:18 Will:16 Healing Surges:11/7 Action Points: 1

Mordax will move to C15, but otherwise same action.

Minor: Mark nearest target after readied action occurs.
Readied Action: Perform the following as soon as anything is in range (preferably multiples, will take a hit to make that happen).
Net Sweep Stnd, close burst 1, Str vs. Fort 1d20+3=15,* 1d6+3 1d6+3=8, and the target is slowed, –2 att until the end of my next turn, and knocked prone on anything that steps into range (hoping to tangle up a bunch at the pinch-point).

*DM EDIT: Your bonus to hit is a LOT better than +3, yo. With the net, it's +10.
(+3 Strength, +4 from half-Level, +2 from Proficiency, +1 Fighter Weapon Talent).
So, you're attack rolls was 22.

That being said, you need to roll a couple more attack rolls if you're planning to hit multiple targets (only one damage roll, tho)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:09 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:WoeVangg: HP: 71/71 AC:20 Fort:18 Ref:16 Will:23 Healing Surges:11/11 AP:2

Standard: None
Minor: Sustain Consecrated Ground
Move: Move Spell center to D-13
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity: HP 75/75; AC 27 Fort 21 Ref 21 Will 24; Healing Surges=10/11, Action Points=2

Free: Drop sword
Minor: Ready Crossbow
Standard: Miss an orc (9 to hit)
Move: Pull throwing hammer
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:How did the Orcs move 32 sq. in 1 round? Jeez - I wanna be a 4e Orc, hehe.

-Swift

DM EDIT: That was two rounds. And you can do it, too.
Move 6, Run +2, two actions, two rounds = [2(6+2)] x2
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis attempts to move closer to the approaching enemies.

Move: To E14-15?

O.O.C.: If I can move while still keeping the action ready, I would like to do so.

DM EDIT: Technically, no; but you can move and RE-ready it. Same outcome
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex sends a waterwhip off into the darkness, the water stretches quite thin but then the spell fails and it bursts into many puddles that drop to the floor. He grunts and shifts forward.

With no spells that can reach the oncoming orcs, He moves next to Straegis and prepares another spell.

--------------
Move to E:11
Ready an action to cast Distracting Hydrology on the first enemy I can reach (ranged 10).
Attack: 19 vs. Will
Hit: 14 Psychic damage and -2 to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.Rolls
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Round 3 Recap & Resolution ...

Init 26
Anxious with anticipation, Juugug fidgits as he waits.
Juugug maintains his readied action.

Init 23
Mordax moves forward, net at the ready and prepared for the flood.

Init 21
Realizing he can't see, Kersh moves back and gets ready.
Readied Action: Strike first Orc in range with his flail.

Init 19
Straegis moves forward, still waiting to lead the attack.

Init 16
Alex follows behind Straegis with a spell ready to fly.
Range extends to column 21

Init 14
Snorri mumbles.

Init 13
Dropping his sword, Verity abandons another readied action; he draws his crossbow, loads it, and fires ... but his shot misses. He reaches for his hammer, but doesn't yet have it.

Drawing it and loading it are both actions, firing is another (Minor, Minor, Standard).
So, you don't have enough actions to then draw your hammer

Init 11
Hackles raised, Hound prepares to launch out at you assailants.
Maintains his readied action.

Init 9
Vangg continues to project his holy ground into the center of the hall.

Init 6
Azzy waits.

Init 5
Again, rolling for Swift ...
Davin fires two more shots; this time killing TWO orcs.

Init 4
The Orcs crash forward; as they draw nearer, the party can hear them running into boxes, and making all kinds of noise. Eventually, they come into range of Alex's magic; Alex casts, and his distracting spell SLAYS the target he intended to hinder. The rest press on until they reach Kersh, but his heavy flail is waiting for them; another Orc falls.

But two of the Orcs reach the hulking Ogre; they're great axes falling against his hide armor ... one breaking through into his own hide.

One Miss; One Crit.
Alex and Kersh now have 5 Initiative (with Davin)

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 31 Pq4mN20

A sea of orcs is almost upon you.
Are you ready?

Onto Round 4 ...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:

Mordax will move to C15, but otherwise same action.

Minor: Mark nearest target after readied action occurs.
Readied Action: Perform the following as soon as anything is in range (preferably multiples, will take a hit to make that happen).
Net Sweep Stnd, close burst 1, Str vs. Fort 1d20+3=15,* 1d6+3 1d6+3=8, and the target is slowed, –2 att until the end of my next turn, and knocked prone on anything that steps into range (hoping to tangle up a bunch at the pinch-point).

*DM EDIT: Your bonus to hit is a LOT better than +3, yo. With the net, it's +10.
(+3 Strength, +4 from half-Level, +2 from Proficiency, +1 Fighter Weapon Talent).
So, you're attack rolls was 22.

That being said, you need to roll a couple more attack rolls if you're planning to hit multiple targets (only one damage roll, tho)

I thought it was Str vs. Fort rather than an attack?* And I thought it was one roll for a burst . . . †

1d20+10=18
1d20+10=29

*DM EDIT: It's a Str vs Fort Attack. (As you level, you'll get eventually get to a point where your attribute mods alone will not be enough to even hit the monsters' Fortitudes. In fact, you would've needed a Natural 20 to hit most of the monsters you've fought in this hallway).

When you target multiple foes, you roll once for damage, but you roll multiple attack rolls

†Player Retort: Cool, thanks!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next