Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 11 of 35 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty macksgarageusa

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Just then Straegis chimes in "I agree, Davin leave hound here and see if you can sneak around and get a good look at what we are up against, then we can come up with a plan."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:49 pm

"Flood the place? Things haven't changed *that* much since we last saw you." Alex narrows his eyes.

At Davin's request he lifts his hand wearily and drags the eyepatch off his head. He hands it over, blinking as his sight is suddenly a lot different without it.

"I have a ritual that'll let me create an inanimate object that isn't really there. It could help at some point. But it'll take a while to prepare. It could, for instance, hide us while we rest if we must. But if they try to touch whatever I make, they'll instantly know its a trick. I can also make a shield to prevent them from entering certain limits, but...there is a chance they could punch through it."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty Swifthand

"Thanks." Davin nods to Alex and then holds up his hunting horn. "If you hear the horn once, I've been found out - come and aid me. If you hear it twice, run. I'll be right back."

Perception=37
Stealth=26
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty 151prooftattoos

Vangg tilts his head and smiles.

"Water erodeth da rock ovah times . . . ye skill w' da waters becometh an handy me sees Alex." The dwarf looks to Davin, "Ye be an careful Davin."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty Malazek

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:50 pm

At first, Davin is nearly overwhelmed by the vibrancy of the colors around him; the Eyepatch elucidate every detail. Quietly and cautiously, he moves through the hills, just a stone's throw from the beach. Several times, even his companions lose sight of him.

When he reaches the mouth of the Cave Temple, he clings to the shadows and creeps along the natural wall. Peering in, he sees that the immediate cavern is massive; it's volume intermittently decorated with bas-relief and statuettes that've been carved into the cave wall by hands of many sizes.

He espies seven Dwarves lounging about, reclining on the many stone steps with frothy mugs in their hands. Behind them, there are two huge arches; evidence that the cave continues on beyond this point and toward unknown depths.

A colossal statue, depicting a winged feminine grim reaper, stands watch between the two arches. Real live ravens have nested in her eyes and mouth, on her shoudlers, and between her ribs. Even Davin knows enough about religion to realize this would be an un-usual way to depct the Queen. Perhaps the statue represents one of her servants? The angel of death, perhaps. .... her dress is marked by an invisible rune that only Davin can see. The placement of the rune is odd; just below the 'belt' of the robed reaper.

After seeing the rune, the excitement of the Eyepatch becomes palpable. Though happy to have found the rune, the curiosity of Eyepatch' is far from quelled. Davin's seasoned will is the only thing keeping him from sneaking into the cave, despite the seven guards, and examining the rune. But the Elf's wisdom tells him to come back with his friends in tow (especially since Davin can't read such a rune).

Before leaving, Davin turns a pointed ear to the wind. He hears countless other voices eminating from the distant halls ... and not all of them are Dwarven. Some are, of course; but others are the lamentations of those who did not wish to be here.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

I sneak back to the party and tell them what I saw.

"Seven Dwarves guard the two archways that serve as the entrance for the Temple. A statue between the arches has a invisible, magical rune inscribed on it. Within the Temple, I heard more Dwarves, and captives as well. The guards are all busy drinking. Now would be a perfect time to strike."

Davin take off the Eyepatch and hands it back to Alex.

"This thing is amazing - nothing is hidden while using it."

"Alex - you made a wall of mist during our last battle - maybe something similar could be useful to stop the guards from retreating into the Temple and alerting the others? We need to take out the guards quickly and quietly."

-Swift
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"I can't control that much mist again today I'm afraid. However, I have a number of means of preventing people from running off, or at least slowing them down." He slips the eyepatch back on.

"If we must confront them, perhaps you could hide in one of their escape routes and appear just at the right time to prevent them from running."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty Halcyon

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

"Captives?!" In his excitement Verity moves to stand from crouched hiding, but catches himself. "Perhaps all were not lost in the Massacre." Then he thinks back to the flattened corpses and rent limbs the trolls left in their wake that day.
"Unlikely," he admits, "but enemies of the dwarves are friends of ours. They may be of help after we kill the guards.
"Are the guards close enough to rush? Must we sneak up to them, or draw them closer to strike?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty The Witch King

Mordax muses "Aye, if we were tae kill tha' seven quickly enou', we might 'ave enou' time tae frae the prisoners afore tha' rest o' tha' place realizes wha' happened. Tha' confusion would aid us greatly."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

So ...
... what's the plan, exactly?
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 pm

"Is there any way we could lure them out of the cave, perhaps even a couple of them at a time, that way even if they did start screaming it wouldn't alert everyone? Maybe Hound could help? If we sent him in, or started him barking outside the entrance they'd hafta come see what it was, right? We could attack them as they come out to investigate."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"Sounds good to me Straegis. In fact, Hound wouldn't even need to bark if we send him walking in front of the cave mouth, they'd be sure to see him."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"So .. dwa'ves an' dogs espying,' rushin' ins an' lurin' dem outs, hidin' afore dem in the halls, an' floodin' da place wit' walls o' misties ... Flummox! ... I can't gits me head around dis plan. 'Splain it agin."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Davin looks at his friends for a moment before answering.

"Hound is not that well trained. Let's just go down there and attack."
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"Alright, so Hound is out. How about this then- Alex, you have enough skills with your basic cantrips to make a ruckus outside the entrance to the cave. Why don't you give us a couple of your best noises, lights, etc. and try to lure as many of them out as we can. I would rather pull them out here to attack, I feel it will give them less of an opportunity to alert everyone in the cave. If that doesn't work and they don't come out after us, then I agree with Mordax and Swifthand and say we should just attack them. We should at least be able to get a few surprise attacks in before they realize what is happening, right?"
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"Agreed."
Half-formed thoughts of the rune on the statue niggle at the back of his mind.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:54 pm

"Aye."

Was there a good spot to hide and ambush the Dwarves if we draw them out?
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

"Ok. That is fine."

Alex steps up, and moulds the water with his hands. He forms a horn of ice and blows, but no sound erupts.

However, the water in the entrance (as desired by the party) vibrates greatly. Causing a sound of metallic smashing and rocks falling. The same water refracts rainbows and scintillating colours.

-----------
Ghost sound wherever davin wants, and prestitidigtation the same. Very VER drunk and cold!
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Davin wrote:Was there a good spot to hide and ambush the Dwarves if we draw them out?
The beach head is rocky and littered with boulders, but it's only kinda close to the cave entrance. Other than that, maybe against the cliff-face on either side of the cave entrance?

OOC: I'll try to get a map up tomorrow.

Alex wrote:Alex steps up, and moulds the water with his hands. He forms a horn of ice and blows, but no sound erupts. However, the water in the entrance (as desired by the party) vibrates greatly. Causing a sound of metallic smashing and rocks falling. The same water refracts rainbows and scintillating colours.
Ghost sound
OOC: Does Alex do this right away? or does he wait until the party is "in position" ?
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 pm

wait
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 pm

OOC: This was the map before I placed any miniatures.
(Ins't a beautiful map?)

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Pq198z4S

OOC: Okay, it seems we have a plan that's a compilation of previous ideas: #1, Take up hidden positions near the cave entrance, such as against the cliff-face and behind boulders; #2, Without arosing suspicion, draw the Dwarves out (with Alex's Ghost Sound); #3, Kill them all before they can alert the others inside; #4, Rinse and Repeat if necessary; #5, Sneak in and kill any remaining Dwarves. Is that about right?

Assuming I got that right, and basing your positions on previous combat range preferences, this is what I came up with.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Pq19aHMA

Three of the Dwarves come out to investigate Alex' ruse. They seem at a loss to explain the strange commotion, but are cautious and ready. Nonetheless, they fail to see the heroes waiting in Ambush.

Post your surprise round actions.
Include an Initiative roll, please

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 GxxpUVJ

NOTE: The rocky veach is difficult terrain, but an Athletics check of 10 will allow you to ingore one square of it; an athletics check of 20 will allow you to ingore 2 squares.

The squares with piked skulls are only difficult terrain if you are trying not to knock them over. If you're willing to bowl through them, they present no obstacle.

The bigger rocks provide cover to anyone behind them
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty 151prooftattoos

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Vangg inititaive Roll: 14

1d20+2(+4 half-level)
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Straegis II: HP:64/64 AC:27 Fort:21 Ref:21 Will:18 Healing Surges:8/8 Action Points:1

Straegis will ready an action hoping the dwarves will continue moving forward. When they do finally get a little farther out of the cave, he will attack and give his allies an opportunity to move in also.

Initiative: 1d20=11+6=17
Athletics: 1d20=13+12(s)=25

Move: Delay, then to block a retreat.
Standard: Delay, then Steel Monsoon.

Attack: 1d20=12+13(s)=25
Damage: 2d8=9+8=17

O.O.C.: Vangg, Alex, Verity, Jugugg are +2 to Initiative (Warlord- Combat Leader) Davin and Hound are out of range. On Hit, 4 allies within 5 sq. can shift 1 sq. for free (Warlord- Steel Monsoon).
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty The Witch King

Mordax: HP:72/72 AC:28/27(bloodied) Fort:20 Ref:18 Will:16 Healing Surges:11/11 Action Points:0

Mordax waits for the remaining bolters to step forward (readied action).

When they do, he'll move to B18 to cut off any retreat, and intercept any newcomers if necessary.

Init: 1d20+4=8
Move: To B18
Minor: Mark nearest dwarf
Standard: Come and Net It (close burst 3, shift 2 targets to adjacent square and attack at close burst 1) 1d20+12=29
Dmg: 1d10+6=8
Close Burst 1: 1d20+12=29
Dmg CB1: 1d10+6=7

DM EDIT: You can only ready a single action.
So, I'll treat this as a Delayed action instead.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:57 pm

O.O.C.: [i] OOPS, forgot to add you into the list Mordax, you are +2 to Initiative also from warlord- combat leader. Embarassed [/
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 11 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 35 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23 ... 35  Next