Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 23 of 35 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:55 am

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I place the sunrod in my right hand, and wave my left behind it in the room, to see if the light emanating from the rod stops my shadow from triggering the slab's fall.
Nothing happens.

Davin wrote:If that seems to work, I do the opposite, to see if my shadow does indeed set off the trap.
Immediately, the closest slab jettisons from the wall at high velocity and collides with the section of the walkway that is right front of you! Being closest to point of impact, Vangg and Davin are peppered by the bricks that were sent lying by the impact. The remaining chunks of stone and brick rain down into the chasms below.

Close Burst 1; +32 vs Reflex; 37 Points of Damage (to the bridge).
The debris that falls into the pit takes another 39 damage.
Vangg and Davin are just outside the blast

The resultant hole is nearly fifteen feet across.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 23 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:56 am

The Witch-King wrote:In the resounding silence of the aftermath Mordax chuckles "Weel, laddies, I dinnae think tha' went quite as weel as expected. Tho' I'm verry happy I didna' make a dash fer it . . ."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg jumps to his feet.

"Bedamn o' da bedamned bedamns!! Dat be an close ones!"

The dwarf shuffles closer to the entrance.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Alright. Everyone take a light and hold it out to your right side - everyone should have a sunrod, I have extra if we are short."

While talking, the ranger prepares Hound for the crossing by putting a sunrod in a hoop on his right side.

"I will go first."

Davin carefully begins to cross the bridge.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
DM wrote:Being closest to point of impact, Vangg and Davin are peppered by the bricks that were sent lying by the impact. The remaining chunks of stone and brick rain down into the chasms below.
Vangg wrote:Vangg jumps to his feet.
"Bedamn o' da bedamned bedamns!! Dat be an close ones!"
The dwarf shuffles closer to the entrance.
Juugug says "Jes like a dwarf t' lay 'es face in fron' o' 'splodin' bricks! Dey be made o' da earth, dey be as 'ard as da rocks, an' dey gots about as many brains as da stones!!"

Davin wrote:"Alright. Everyone take a light and hold it out to your right side - everyone should have a sunrod, I have extra if we are short." While talking, the ranger prepares Hound for the crossing by putting a sunrod in a hoop on his right side. "I will go first." Davin carefully begins to cross the bridge.
Juugug, Verity, Straegis, and Azzy will all follow suit, as well. (I assume Alex will use his Light, as he stated earlier).

So, with Davin's lead, the party begins to follow the plan laid forth by Alex moments ago (that is, assuming Vangg and Mordax are following). Slowly, they advance across the busted walkway. Surrounded by distant perceptions and bright lights, it would easy for someone to lose their balance on such a narrow, broken section of stone ... but these are seasoned adventurers! They will not be stopped by mere equilibrium problems! They will press on! And prevail!

OOC: Ahem, the Balance DC is too low for any of you to miss it.

Before long, the party makes their way to the otherside. Fortunately, the opposite door does not appear to be trapped. Or locked. Cautiously, they open it, and move on through into the next section of endless corridor.

1267 XPs Each (brings y'all to 17,997 Total)

Before long, the worked stone gives way to more-or-less natural rock; evidence of mining and masonry present themselves only occassionally. The narrow cavern winds, climbs, and drops; perdiodically interrupted by a rope bridge, or a masonry staircase. Forced to spelunk, they find their rate of travel greatly diminished ... but atleast there haven't been any traps.

By noon, Davin, Alex, and Vangg figure the party has only managed to go about 3 miles. Just when they begin looking for a place to stop for lunch, the tunnle widens (slightly) into a round cavern, maybe 30 feet across. Right in the middle of it, is a small fire pit, surrounded by stones. A small bed of furs and rags is laid out near the fire; crates and barrels stacked against the north wall.

Of course, Davin checks for traps, but sees no proof of his suspicion. Checking the pit, he surmises that it's only been a few days since a fire burned in this very spot. In fact, Hound finds a bag of jerky, inside the pocket of a cloak left amongst the bedding, and starts eating the dried meat before anyone can stop him. Fortunately, he seems okay; it's not poisoned.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:57 am

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Comp. issues fixed, for now, woohoo I'm back!

"Davin, if you are right about the firepit, then we are following someone or more likely, someones down here. We didn't pass anyone on the way out so that puts them a couple days ahead of us. Is there any way we can tell from what's been left here, who we are following? Did they leave in a hurry? Let's take a good look at this stuff." Straegis will root around in the bedrolls and other items to see if he can figure anything out, he hopes a few others do the same.

Perception: 1d20=6+4(half-lvl)=10
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex glances around.

"I wonder if this entire place is a trap...It doesn't look like your kobolds style...but he is quite wiley. If not...I wonder who was travelling this way, or back."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:
Juugug wrote:"Jes like a dwarf t' lay 'es face in fron' o' 'splodin' bricks! Dey be made o' da earth, dey be as 'ard as da rocks, an' dey gots about as many brains as da stones!!"

Vangg smiles at his friend's stab.

"Mighty goods . . . dwarfs may 'aves da smarts o' stones, but leasts dey nots beknown fer fornicatin' w' worgs an' what nots."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 am

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"Mighty goods . . . dwarfs may 'aves da smarts o' stones, but leasts dey nots beknown fer fornicatin' w' worgs an' what nots."
"I'd rather be fornicatin' w' worgs dan wit' dwarf womins!"

Straegis wrote:Straegis will root around in the bedrolls and other items to see if he can figure anything out, he hopes a few others do the same.
Straegis roots around in the bedroll, but it seems Hound found the only treasure here.
Is he checking out the boxes and barrels, too? Or is someone else?

Alex wrote:"I wonder who was travelling this way, or back."
Int Check: Alex considers where the raft was found, and thinks it's likely that whoever built this campsite was travelling the same direction as you are (otherwise, they would've left the raft on the opposite shore than they did).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin and Hound also inspect the campsite and room closely (we're also looking for tracks).

Perception=34

-Swift
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis will inspect any and all barrels, boxes, crates, etc. but only after Davin has a chance to try to make sure they aren't traps or triggers.

Perception(to Assist Davin): 1d20=9+4(half-lvl)=13
Malazek wrote:OOC: Sorry guys, I just spent 90 minutes on an awesome post; but when I went to post it, it said I was "Temporarily Denied" and the post was lost (I hit BACK, but it only took me to an empty reply box). I'll try to repost it tomorrow, I have to get to bed.
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Teh Suck~
Swifthand wrote:Technology strikes again!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 am

Malazek wrote:OOC: Well, it didn't turn out exactly the same, but ...

Davin and Straegis inspect the barrels and boxes, while the others prepare lunch. Taking their time to be sure, they find NO sign of any traps. So, they rip into the stockpile.

All of the barrels contain either drinking water (fortified by trace amounts of rum) or grain (oats and barley).

The crates, however, contain a variety of items.

The first crate they open contains a number of holy items. Twenty-nine mundane holy symbols of the Queen and fourteen bone statuettes depicting her angels (the latter worth about 250 gp each). Along side those, a small velvet pouch holding 64 platinum coins and a tiny locked box.

In the second crate, they find a beautiful longsword; it's pommel resembles a laughing dragon, and it's guards look like two sharp claws. Pulling it from it's leathery sheath, they find the image of a serpent etched along the fuller. Under the sword is an indigo colored robe with lavender trim; indigo threading traces out arcane sigils along the trim. Removing the robe from the box, they discover it to be roughly man-sized. But that's not all. Under the robe, they find a battered shield with the smiling face of a blonde-beared dwarf drawn on the face of it.

The third and fourth crates are filled with sacks containing granola, dried fruit, and dried beans.

Davin picks the lock on the tiny box, and discovers a lone ruby inside (worth 5000 gp).

While the group eats their lunch, they inspect the items. Those learned in matters of lore eventually discern what these items do, and make guesses about their origin (History and Arcana Checks):

Robe of the Mindbender
Arcane sigils are thread into the lavender trim of this indigo robe. At one time, it may have belonged to Maritron the MindBender.
Lvl 12 +3 13,000
Armor: Githweave Cloth (+1 Will)
Enhancement: +3 AC
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you miss with an attack that targets Will defense. Reroll your attack with a power bonus equal to the enhancement bonus of this armor.

Shield of the Medic
Shields like this one are often carried by dwarven healers
Lvl 10 5,000 gp
Item Slot: Arms
Shield: Heavy Shield
Power (Daily ✦ Healing): Free Action. Use this power when you or an ally within line of sight regains hit points. You or the ally regains hit points equal to the maximum possible result of the healing effect and also regains hit points equal to your Wisdom or Charisma modifier, whichever is higher.

The Sword of Rex Qalibar
With a dragon-head pommel, claw-like guards, and a serpentine image displayed along the fuller, this nasty weapon may have once belonged to the the nefarious tyrant of yore: Rex Qalibar.
Lvl 13 +3 17,000 gp
Weapon: Longsword
Enhancement: +3 Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +3d6 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of your next turn, your attacks with this weapon deal an extra 3d6 damage to a target that is blinded, prone, restrained, or helpless.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex eyes the robe with glinting eyes. "If none of you has any objection, and we can take from this place. I would like this? I believe I am probably the only one who would find any use for its powers." He adresses this mainly at Verity, Vanng, and the goblin. Since these could belong to their temple.

After that he sits down and flicks through his spellbook. Especially the napkins from Siquerod. He begins to copy them from the napkins into a free page. Every now and again he glances at Azzy out of the coner of his eyes. His hands sometimes trace the same magical undoings he performed on the glyph keeping Azzy in stasis. He shudders.

----------------------------------------

Eventually he puts his book down, and, if the group have agreed he can have the robe. He leaves the cavern to change, going a short way back down the hallway and removing his waterbender armour. Returning in the robe he feels quite odd. It's been...well...its been forever since he wore anything other than blue or white. He feels quite odd, but very wizardly. Not much like a waterbender. Sitting down and folding his armour neatly away, along with the still torn tunic he never replaced. He reviews some of the basics of waterbending, rather than going back to Siquerods notes -that would be too much like a main stream arcanist.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:As he pulls out each of the items, Straegis carefully inspects them before handing them off to anyone else who wants to see them. He will be sure to let everyone know what information he gathers, so they can get a better look if they want. Deciding he is very hungry, he sits down to eat and is careful to make sure that Azzy gets enough food also.

History(sword): 1d20=19+15(s)=34
Arcana(sword): 1d20=16+15(s)=31

History(shield): 1d20=17+15(s)=32
Arcana(shield): 1d20=9+15(s)=24

History(robe): 1d20=13+15(s)=28
Arcana(robe): 1d20=5+15(s)=20
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:00 am

Swifthand wrote:"Alex, you should take the robe, Straegis the sword, and Vangg the shield."

Davin and Hound join the others for a meal.

O.O.C. - Nothing on Tracking? Maybe I need a second check, as the first was for traps/items.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:01 am

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. - Nothing on Tracking? Maybe I need a second check, as the first was for traps/items.
OOC: Same roll is fine; just needed to know that's what you were doing..

Examining the dry, rocky, bare cave floor that nobody has walked on in a few days, Davin discovers that someone has tried to obscure a single pair of small boots, heading out in the same direction the party is heading (a DC 36). Who? Goblins? Certianly not halflings. Davin checks the bedding for loose hairs or the like, hoping to identify the traveller. But he finds nothing, a suspicious fact in and of itself.

Straegis II wrote:History(sword): 1d20=19+15(s)=34
Arcana(sword): 1d20=16+15(s)=31
According the legend, Rex Qalibar is the evil monarch that was overthrown by Sazar I during the early age of Etol. Though historical evidence suggests that he was real, it also suggests that he died long, long before the birth of Sazar I. Supposedly, Rex Qalibar conquered the cruel snake people who lived in these lands before the rise of humanity; they gave him this sword as a gift of fealty and surrender.

But ... it's commonly accepted that the Etolic Empire rose from the ashes of Baal'Turath and Arkhosia. Either his kingdom was very short-lived or he lived before the rise of the Tieflings and Dragonborn. Eitherway, this looks like his sword.

On a side note, the evil race of Yaunt-ti are descended from the snake people he conquered.

Straegis II wrote:History(shield): 1d20=17+15(s)=32
Arcana(shield): 1d20=9+15(s)=24
The smiling face icon on the shield indicates that it's a healer's shield; Dwarven healers sometimes paint smiling faces on their shield's to communicate their status as a healer, just as Dwarven warriors sometimes paint ferocious and intimidating images on their shields. But the shield is rather banged up, indicating that it's seen a lot of action; which isn't all that surprising, considering the level of aptitude needed to craft an item of this magnitude. The face is blonde-bearded, however, which suggests it once belonged to a dwarf clan famed for it's fair hair.

Straegis confers with Vangg to consider which blonde-bearded dwarf clans have still-living healer-heroes, but there's several possibilities: Gilby Gildenbristle, Flos Fairtress, Aksel Sallowmane, Birget Sallowmane, or Dyre Flaxendown. Strangely enough, Vangg actually knows (or knew) Aksel and Birget.

Straegis II wrote:History(robe): 1d20=13+15(s)=28
Arcana(robe): 1d20=5+15(s)=20
Based on the fabric of the robe, as well as its enchantment, Straegis ponders whether it could've belonged to Maritron the Mindbender. Maritron the Mindbender was a Githyanki gifted in both the magical and psionic arts. He abandoned his people, and set up a bizarre laboratory somewhere in these mountains. According to rumor, he used to kidnap goblins, kobolds, and occassionally dwarves, in order to perform sick experiments with their bodies (live or dead). The tale also states that he was slain 75 years ago by Njörðr the Saga. Of course, there's no way to be certian this was HIS robe; but it is a possibility.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Looking at the ground around the campsite, the Ranger seems to wander aimlessly for a moment. Then, he suddenly crouches low to the ground, Standing, Davin follows seeming invisible paths around the campsite, slowly at first, but then more quickly, around the boxes and crates, and then leading to and finally from the area.

I frown.

"This is odd."

"The person that was here left in the direction we are headed. Whoever they are, they took great care to hide their footprints. They are small and skilled - I almost missed their trail. But, they left all this behind? It doesn't make any sense."

"Moreover, they came the same way we did. There are no side passage behind us. That means that they came from up or down the Aboleth River, or passed through all the same traps we did, resetting them as they passed."

"And then there is the matter of all the Holy Symbols."

"Perhaps a refugee from the Cave Temple Massacre? It would have to be someone of power, someone who was privy to the secrets of the traps. Someone small."

I stow the ruby, the platinum, and the statues in one of the Bags of Holding and dump the 500 odd arrows that were in it, tossing them in the fire pit to burn.

Taking a bite of jerky, I take a seat at the fire. A moment later, Hound lays on my feet.

O.O.C. - Can I tell, perhaps from how much food is missing from the stores, how long our camper spent here? Is it possible that they have been down here since the massacre?

O.O.C. #2 - Is there provisions enough here to replenish our stores, and add two weeks worth for Vangg and Juugug?

O.O.C. #3 - Does Azzy react to any of the statues of the angels? Do we recognize any as the one in the Cave Temple? Are there names on the statues?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Looking at the ground around the campsite, the Ranger seems to wander aimlessly for a moment. Then, he suddenly crouches low to the ground, Standing, Davin follows seeming invisible paths around the campsite, slowly at first, but then more quickly, around the boxes and crates, and then leading to and finally from the area.

I frown.

"This is odd."

"The person that was here left in the direction we are headed. Whoever they are, they took great care to hide their footprints. They are small and skilled - I almost missed their trail. But, they left all this behind? It doesn't make any sense."

"Moreover, they came the same way we did. There are no side passage behind us. That means that they came from up or down the Aboleth River, or passed through all the same traps we did, resetting them as they passed."

"And then there is the matter of all the Holy Symbols."

"Perhaps a refugee from the Cave Temple Massacre? It would have to be someone of power, someone who was privy to the secrets of the traps. Someone small."

I stow the ruby, the platinum, and the statues in one of the Bags of Holding and dump the 500 odd arrows that were in it, tossing them in the fire pit to burn.

Taking a bite of jerky, I take a seat at the fire. A moment later, Hound lays on my feet.

O.O.C. - Can I tell, perhaps from how much food is missing from the stores, how long our camper spent here? Is it possible that they have been down here since the massacre?

O.O.C. #2 - Is there provisions enough here to replenish our stores, and add two weeks worth for Vangg and Juugug?

O.O.C. #3 - Does Azzy react to any of the statues of the angels? Do we recognize any as the one in the Cave Temple? Are there names on the statues?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 am

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"Perhaps a refugee from the Cave Temple Massacre? It would have to be someone of power, someone who was privy to the secrets of the traps. Someone small."
Juugug's jaw drops and his head turns to face Vangg.

Davin wrote:"O.O.C. - Can I tell, perhaps from how much food is missing from the stores, how long our camper spent here? Is it possible that they have been down here since the massacre?
The crates and barrels seems pretty full, but there's enough ash in the pit to account for another crate and several more barrels. Whoever it was could've consolidated their supplies and burned the empty containers. In fact, if Davin checks the fire pit again, he can imagine some of the coals as having been straight cut pieces of wood before they went into the fire.

Davin wrote:O.O.C. #2 - Is there provisions enough here to replenish our stores, and add two weeks worth for Vangg and Juugug?
And then some. There's hundreds of pounds of food here (far more than will fit in the bags).

Davin wrote:O.O.C. #3 - Does Azzy react to any of the statues of the angels? Do we recognize any as the one in the Cave Temple? Are there names on the statues?

I stow the... statues in one of the Bags of Holding
Azzy doesn't seem to be paying attention, at first. he's just sitting near Verity, lost in his own thoughts. But when the statuettes are finally brought up, his head jerks towards towards the icon. "Mater!" (Mother)

He stands up and moves with incredible speed toward Davin and Straegis. Tenderly, he takes that one statuette before Davin can place it in the bag (assuming Davin doesn't stop him, that is) "Mater!" He takes the statuette and sits next to Verity. Looking the deathpaladin in the face, he says "Widejo Appas, its Amma." (Look Dad, it's Mom).

That statuettes are not labelled, but the one Azzy picked up does look like the one in the cave temple. With the statuette Vangg, Verity, or Juugug can identify her as Ellasarosha.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg picks up the shield.

"An mighty fines shield fer ah dwarf, tankies." The dwarf glances at Juugug, "Me innards betells me dat it mayhaps be an Rinh dat we follows."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"Me innards betells me dat it mayhaps be an Rinh dat we follows."
"Mayhaps, buts which one? Brotha Taalgarnuk, mayhaps? But we befoun' his holy symbol in da firepits o' da hags!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:03 am

151prooftattoos wrote:"It doth seemeth onlikes dat it be's Taalgarnuk Rinh we an follows . . . greats, 'nuther puny spawn o' troll puke ta add ta we company. As ifs an go'bin wadn't 'nuff, sheeshers!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:"greats, 'nuther puny spawn o' troll puke ta add ta we company!"
"Dats not a nice t'ing to say 'bouts Verity overdere. Poor fellers 'ad to foller an unwarsht dwarf an' all he's stinkin' beardairs."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. #2 - Is there provisions enough here to replenish our stores, and add two weeks worth for Vangg and Juugug?
And then some. There's hundreds of pounds of food here (far more than will fit in the bags).

I restock the provisions, now giving us two weeks worth for eight, plus one meal (just so we are dealing with even numbers).

"Taalgarnuk Rinh. That makes perfect sense. During the massacre, perhaps he saw the fight was lost, and decided to flee, denying the attackers the food and treasures of the Temple."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Once the party is done eating, they pack up and get a move on. The current path continues for several more miles before it forks into two parallel tunnels. Both tunnels seem to continue northward, but the left one descends deeper into the earth while the right one ascends higher into the mountain. Your ranger scouts ahead to see what awaits you in either direction, but both tunnels seem to go on for quite awhile.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 am

magicspellz12 wrote:"Can you see which way the person preceeding us went?"
The Witch-King wrote:Mordax waits passively, showing the patience of a seasoned campaigner.
Swifthand wrote:At Alex's request, Davin searches the ground for clues as to which path the traveler took.

Perception=41

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 35 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29 ... 35  Next