Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 19 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Best we take you to the Lions for your work, that you may coordinate with the generals. That is, if we still have time?"
After adding up the travel times, everyone agrees that heading back to the Three Lions would be cutting it too close. By the time you got there and then back out to the hills it would be close to midnight; you might be able to pull it off, but it wouldn't leave much time for dilly-dally (or unexpected delays).

(OOC: It's about 9:30 pm. It would take 75+ minutes to get back to Ferall's. After that, it would take another 90+ minutes to get back out to the fields where the warmachines are. At best, you'd be pulling in right as the strike started, as opposed to setting up early as planned).

More importantly, the natural rain has already started. That means, some of the floodgates have probably been opened already. Maybe all of them. Time is of the essence if you want to drown as many dwarves as possible.

So, without further ado, Agatha begins to look for a building that is more-or-less still standing. Assuming everyone helps her look, she finds one before too much time has passed. A bit of the third floor wall and ceiling have collapsed, but most of the structure is still solid. "That's beh'ah any'ow, 'cause ah gotsa t'see th' sky fer this castin' t'work properly."

Heading inside, you find first floor bakery abandoned. The second and third floor home is likewise empty. After moving the furniture to clear a place on the floor, Agatha begins setting up. She breaks some of the chairs, because she'll need the wood to start the fire this ritual requires.

Once the fire is burning steadily, she brings a small bronze crucible from her satchel, and several leather pouches with various bog herbs and other ingredients. Before mixing them together she says "More'n lik'ly, th'light'll bring som'one asnoopin'. If'n ye wants t'gets a move on, ah cin 'andle this 'ere an' catch up with ye afte'wards."

Whether the party stays or goes, she mixes up a witches brew most foul (and by that, I mean, it stinks something awful). Speaking to unfamiliar words of power, she cries out ...

"Forţele naturii auzi de mine!
Am nevoie de departe de a convoca o furtuna monstruos!
Aud pledoaria mea!
Trimite-mi vânt atât de groaznic, atât de ascuţite şi de ploaie, şi de a-mi rupe de la duşmanii lor de expunere arogant!
Trimite-le bobinare;
urcare pentru acoperirea, pentru caldura, pentru adăpost!!
Nu lăsa să te! Beat în jos, la follish cu toate de dvs. ar putea!
Trimite-le eagerly aşteptare în îmbrăţişare mea!
Trimite-le.
Şi nu te lăsa până când toate cunoaşteţi adevărata putere a naturii.
Multumesc, pentru audiere pledoaria mea.
Acum, că acordarea care am comanda!
Am cam tine, cu putere de sângele meu!
Meu de sânge. A mea proprie de sânge."

She makes a gesture over the pot, and then cuts her palm, spilling her own infernal blood into the stewpot. Then she repeats the chant.

"Forţele naturii auzi de mine!
Am nevoie de departe de a convoca o furtuna monstruos!
Aud pledoaria mea!
Trimite-mi vânt atât de groaznic, atât de ascuţite şi de ploaie, şi de a-mi rupe de la duşmanii lor de expunere arogant!
Trimite-le bobinare;
urcare pentru acoperirea, pentru caldura, pentru adăpost!!
Nu lăsa să te! Beat în jos, la follish cu toate de dvs. ar putea!
Trimite-le eagerly aşteptare în îmbrăţişare mea!
Trimite-le.
Şi nu te lăsa până când toate cunoaşteţi adevărata putere a naturii.
Multumesc, pentru audiere pledoaria mea.
Acum, că acordarea care am comanda!
Am cam tine, cu putere de sângele meu!
Meu de sânge. A mea proprie de sânge."

Of course, all of this yelling (along with the light of the fire) is bound to catch someone's attention.

If the party remained, then they spot a group of Dwarves in streets below, marching towards the building.
But anyone with Arcana or Nature can help her, so I'll give her a +8 for having four assistants..

But if the party rolled on, they still spot the Dwarves, heading in Agatha's direction.

Immediately after the ritual is cast, the wind picks up and the rain dumps from the sky like water from a bucket. It's as bad as the storm that brought you all together; perhaps worse.

Even the Dwarves in the street rush for cover, as the bitter, biting, icy downpour stabs at them with wet ferocity. A fog rises from the street as the cold water splashes onto it's relatively warm cobblestones.

The night has become suddenly darker.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 19 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:33 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Of course we'll stay Agatha. I'm sure you could handle any dwarves that come this way but it'd be better to be sure. We'll help in the ritual too."

Alex of course, helps in the ritual.

As it closes, Alex looks down at the dwarves. "Can I hit them? I doubt they'll miss this house." Alex asks no one in particular. He reaches out his hands in balled fists, opening them when the dwarves are in range. The rain that nears them bursts into pockets of boiling steam.

----------------------------
Boiling Mist +10 vs. Ref. to any dwarf in a 3x3 pocket (area burst 1), obviously he'll try and catch as many as possible. Damage is 10.
It's ranged 10, so I guess I can reach them?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:Alex ... reaches out his hands in balled fists, opening them when the dwarves are in range. The rain that nears them bursts into pockets of boiling steam.
To Alex, the Dwarves remain unconcealed by the torrential downpour (because of the Eyepatch). He reaches out and burns the lowliest of the Dwarven minions to death with his watery magic. Some of the more seasoned Dwarves, though injured, take cover; while others retreat, heading back the way they came (probably going for reinforcements).

The Eyepatch exudes a feeling of excitement, though the Aqeaus Templar moans in complaint.

OOC: The Concordance of the Eyepatch rises to 8.
The Concordance of the Aqueas Templar drops to 10.

Being less satisfied, it relinquishes some of the power it has granted you.

The Aqeaus Templar (Concordance Currently 10)
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: +2 Fortitude, Reflex, Will
Property: Gain Resist Poison 10
Enhancement: --
Property: --

Defenders Boon Power (At-Will): Minor Action. Use this power when you are adjacent to an ally who is subject to an effect that a save can end. The ally is no longer affected, and you now have the effect. You cannot make a saving throw against this effect until the end of your next turn.

Watermage Bolstering Power (Daily ✦ Healing): Minor Action. Spend a healing surge. One ally within 5 squares of you regains hit points as though he or she had spent a healing surge.
--
--

NOTE: Lose the +2 AC.
Lose the +2 to Saving Throws.
Lose the Concealing Mist Power
Lose the Freeze Power.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Ugh. It seems obvious you two can't get along." Alex says to himself. Then he pipes up.

"Guys. I can't control both of these items. I'm not sure this one is meant for me. Straegis. Wear this."

Alex takes off the Aqueous Templar and hands it to Verity.

"It's powers seem to work mainly in area's close to you, and I'm not usually in the thick of battle. I think perhaps the defenders of the watermages of the past must have worn it; Imil's equivalent to a swordmage, or perhaps even leaders like yourself. It's got personality, and as you are more of a front line fighter perhaps you should wear it." Alex smiles. But his eye returns back to the streets, looking for more dwarves to scold.

"It has watermagic ensconced within. I've not used any yet, but you may find it useful. Or you could give it to Straegis or Mordax if you wished. You'll gain no benefit from that cloak while you wear it though, so perhaps you should give that to one of them."

Alex is almost sad to loose the comfortable feeling of the Aqueous Templar around his neck, but his logical mind tells him that it is the best decision. It will have much more fun with someone who is both a defender and a healer.

-----------------------------
I just had another look at the increasing concordance values. Alex can never rack up any points with the eyepatch, and it looked like defend of heal an aquamancer was the easist way to make it happy. This meant Straegis or Verity, and since Verity is a defender I thought he would be best.

Aqeaus Templar Concordance Rules
Currently Satisfied at Concordance 12, providing:
+2 Enchantment bonus to AC
+2 Power bonus to Saving throws.
Concordance: 12
Owner gains a level: +1d10
Owner or one ally is an Aquamancer: +2
Owner makes progress toward restoring one of the six towers: +1
Owner restores one of the six towers: +5
Owner heals or defends an Aquamancer (max 1/Encounter): +1
Owner harms an Aquamancer: -2
Owner uses another Sentient Item: -1 (-2 if the Item is an Artifact)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Swifthand wrote:I pull my hood up and cloak tight against the torrential rain.

"Agatha - do you wish to aid us in the attack on the siege engines?"

After her answer, and the party gets on the wagon, I drive to the southeast gate. As we get closer to our destination, I look for a good place to hide the wagon where it will be safe. Then, when the moon nears it's zenith, I will stealth out with the group toward a siege engine (aiding everyone, Crucial Advise anyone who needs it, take 10 on Perception and Stealth).

Hound's Stealth=22

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Malazek wrote:Agatha agrees to come along, but she is not very Stealthy. You exit the building and a roll away without incident. The final district is a ghost town, completely razed and abandonded. Beyond the final gate, Davin finds a small copse, and ditches the wagon under some fallen leafy branches. So far, so good.

All that's left to do if sneak off toward the guarded Warmachines.
Davin leads the way, aiding others with a well-chosen path.

OOC: Yeah, I will need Stealth (or other measures) from EVERYONE. Also, everyone is +4 to their Stealth Checks (+2 from the rain, +16 from telepathic aid) and -2 to Perception checks. And a reminder: Only one person can Benefit from the Crucial Advice.

Taking-10, Agatha gets consistent 35s on her Stealth rolls
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:35 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax lurks along, sticking to the shadows, in brooding silence.

Stealth = 1d20=20 +2(Dex)+3(Level)+16(Aid)+2(Rain) = 43
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Thank you Alex. Here Straegis, this will benefit you the most." Verity unclasps the Rockbenders cloak and hand it to the Eladrin. He replaces it with the Aqueous Templar.
"Gather round friends, that we may go forth with one mind." Verity mutters a short prayer.
Then you all hear in your mind, "It is done. So long as we stay within a spear's throw of each other we may think as one. During this attack, when we aid one of our own, our aid will not be limited by words. Best we assist each other to close in as quietly as possible."

OCC: Best we "aid another" and move up one at a time. That will be +16 with the max 4 people aiding + 2 for the rain giving everyone +18 total to stealth. Probably want to take 10 on those.

OCC: For the encounter we all have telepathy to each other range 20.
Additionally, aid another actions grant a +4 instead if +2

Stealth: Natch for 37 total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax's mind is a red haze of hatred, barely held in check by an unwavering sense of duty.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Time's up. Alex and Straegis Take-10 on their Stealth checks and get consistent 31s.

Sneaking through the rain, the party positions themselves near their target; an enormous trebuchet, 20 stories high, that seems to have ceased firing (for now). Gathered beneath it (taking cover from the rain), you see about 50 Dwarves. It isn't difficult to pick out the Commander, the Subcommander, or the the three Rockbender's that are present. You also identify the 20 soldiers who serve double-duty as siege engineers, and a human-sized woman dressed in sheet-like attire. It doesn't look like it's gonna be an easy fight.

OOC: I will have a map up later. In the meantime, think amongst yourselves.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity unclasps the Rockbenders cloak and ... replaces it with the Aqueous Templar.
OOC: Just to be clear, it's current Concordance is 10. Not 12.
magicspellz12 wrote:*shrug* Alex can fry some minions. Or is this more of a 'to the death' sort of fight. I'll bust out my dailies for sure. Web and Sleep could help things.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Halcyon wrote:"There are too many to charge." Verity's thought is mixed heavily with frustration and regret. "If only we could collapse the war machine to crush those sheltered beneath it. Agatha, Alex, have you any means? Or could the Trebuchet itself be sabotaged to smash in on itself?"
"If no we might take advantage of their tight grouping with area attacks. Best we are all able to act whilst they are suprised though. Hmmm."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:37 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis dons the terramancers cloak from Verity and does his best to sneak along with his friends, glad for their assistance, he does his best to remember any drawings or learning he may have come across before. He hopes to think of a perceived deficiency or weak spot on the trebuchet.

History: 1d20=20+14(s)=34 Natch!!!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Melee characters can aid the defense or attack rolls of another character. Could be particularly useful to take full advantage of daily powers. Combined with an action point / Straegis's Tactical presence for +6 to hit total and that daily power's not likely to miss.

Player's Handbook wrote:AID ANOTHER: STANDARD ACTION
✦ Attack Roll: Choose a target within your melee
reach and make a melee basic attack vs. AC 10. If
you succeed, deal no damage, but choose one ally.
That ally gets a +2[+4 currently]bonus to his or her next attack
roll against the target or to all defenses against the
target’s next attack. This bonus ends if not used by
the end of your next turn.
✦ Skill or Ability Check: You can instead aid a skill
check or an ability check made by an adjacent ally.
Make a DC 10 skill check or ability check. If you succeed,
you give a +2[+4 currently] bonus to your ally’s next check
using the same skill or ability. This bonus ends if not
used by the end of the ally’s next turn.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: It's been awhile since combat so to remind everyone, party members within 10sq. of Straegis are +2 Init.(combat leader), also if you spend AP and Straegis has line of sight you are +2 to Attack roll and +4 to Damage roll(tactical presence and tactical assault).
Halcyon wrote:Aid Straegis for +4

History: 15 on die +2 = 17
magicspellz12 wrote:Aid for Straegis 14! (Rolled a 1)

That aid another is a good find.

"I have some blood-slowing magic up my sleeve, that might lessen their numbers, especially when packed so well. I could also turn that rain and those puddles to snow within an area, say a 25ft wide square. Of course that won't hurt them but it'll slow them down."

"As for the trebuchet, I've got nothing special against wood other than trying to slice it apart with shards of ice. Could take a while though. If we can keep the dwarves away for a while perhaps one of us could cut the ropes or disable it somehow?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"If only we could collapse the war machine to crush those sheltered beneath it."
Straegis wrote:He hopes to think of a perceived deficiency or weak spot on the trebuchet.
History: 1d20=20+14(s)=34 Natch!!!
Normally, a well-built trebuchet is difficult to sabotage. And because there are so many variations on the design, each is susceptible to different methods of ruin. Sometimes, weakening the anchors or locking the wheels can cause less weighty trebuchets to tip over; sometimes, weaking the bolts that hold the joints together can cause a trebuchet to tear itself apart; but most of the time, rigging the sling to "not let go" will cause the payload itself to come crashing down on the trebuchet or its crew. If the trebuchet is built on a ship or a wall, then breaking the chain that prevents the arm from overextending can cause significant damage to the ship or wall. But ...

... none of those methods seems particuliarly appropriate to this massive warmachine. It's too heavy to tip, too solid to tear itself a part, and the payload seems too heavy for the sling to have any hope of hanging onto it after a throw attempt. It's also not on a ship or wall. So, what to do?

Verity posits an interesting idea. Most trebuchets aren't big enough for troops to stand under it; but this one is. Maybe, just maybe, if you could remove the wheels from the base, the whole thing should fall on the troops underneath it ... but you'd have to remove all six wheels simultaneously. Even with Verity's telepathy-granting prayer, that prospect seems unlikely.

If only you can get them all loosened, and then knock them all off with a single blow; then, this would be easy. But the whole idea seems silly. How could you possibly accomplish such a thing?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Ok, here is the map. The Trebuchet is ridiculously big. The Dwarves are all "under" the main base. I didn't bother to draw the mechanisms that are on top of the base. That discolorizations around you guys is supposed to be the hill you were on. And all the "horses" are supposed to be mules.

R=Rockbender
S (Yellow Circle) = Sandbender
C = Commander
S (Brown Circle) = Subcommander
B = Bolter
H = Hammerer
E = Engineer.

You have surprise ... so as soon as your plan is ready, go for it.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 19 AVZ01cA
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax spits through clenched teeth "Aye it's tha' mules what are tha' key, methinks. If we spook 'em enou', they'll pull tha' thing down fer' us. They'd 'ave ta' be scared as if tha' very gates o' Hell be open, though."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Swifthand wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:Mordax spits through clenched teeth "Aye it's tha' mules what are tha' key, methinks. If we spook 'em enou', they'll pull tha' thing down fer' us. They'd 'ave ta' be scared as if tha' very gates o' Hell be open, though."

O.O.C. - Mal, are there breaks on the wheels? Perhaps if we goad the mules out of control, they can tear it down if the breaks are set? Nature check?

It would be much better to crush a bunch of these guys under the main platform of the device as we pull it off it's wheels.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Mal, are there breaks on the wheels? Perhaps if we goad the mules out of control, they can tear it down if the breaks are set? Nature check?
The wheels do not have breaks; they don't need them. Because it's sooo heavy, the mule team could never get it moving fast enough to warrant breaks. It stops almost as soon as they stop pulling it. If it had breaks, then 32 mules would never be able to budge it, not with the breaks engaged.

Verity wrote:we could collapse the war machine to crush those sheltered beneath it
Mordax wrote:tha' mules'll pull tha' thing down fer' us
Davin wrote:Perhaps the mules can tear it down. It would crush a bunch of these guys under the main platform
Spooking the mules MIGHT be enough, IF you sabotage the wheels first. Otherwise, they'll just pull the whole thing forward (albiet very slowly).

Another thing to consider is all the mud created by this rain; it could make it difficult for the mules to get enough traction to pull anything.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I want to sneak up closer and inspect the wheel at R20, Mal. Could it be sabotaged with a Thievery check, or just static damage?

I am all for each of us attacking a wheel, and then I will move to spook the mules. Everyone else ok with this plan?

-Swift
magicspellz12 wrote:Sure!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Halcyon wrote:"It would take some time to destroy those immense wheels, they look to be the height of three tall men.
"Someone stealthy could pull the pins holding the wheels on, then when we spook the mules they'd spin off. They'd come off more quickly if we could blast them with a powerful attack. If the blast were arcane thunder or lightning our adversaries might not even know they were under attack in this gale.
"In any case the mules will need better footing in this slick mud.
Alex, Agatha, do you have means to these ends? Anyone else? I could attack a wheel but my armour may give me away before we sprung the trap."

OCC: If we can do a high level of damage to the wheels simultaneously after pulling the pins that hold them to the hub, they will come off with the mules pulling (per Mal). We need to:
1. Pull the pins holding the wheels on.
2. Get the mules better footing.
3. Come up with attacks that do multiple dice of damage to push the wheels off. Kicking would not be enough to push the 20 ft. diameter wheels.
Area attacks would be best. Otherwise some of us need to stealth onto the Trebuchet and use powerful melee attacks.
These attacks might be enough to spook the mules at the right moment(?).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"1. I sneak up and use Thievery to sabotage the wheels (pull pins, whatever).

2. Mordax climbs on the trebuchet and cuts loose the 10+ ton counterweight suspended above the platform (there is your enormous amount of damage).

3. When Mordax says he is ready to drop the counterweight, we attack the back 4 wheels.

4. Hound and I help spook to mules (though the crash of the falling counterweight will probably do this for us).

With the counterweight falling, the machine weighs considerably less, allowing the mules to pull easier (hopefully negating or marginalizing the slick ground). Regardless of everything else, I think dropping the counterweight will probably destroy the trebuchet and could collapse the platform itself."

O.O.C. - I think this is the plan we should go with. We address Verity's massive damage problem and hopefully the slick ground problem. Alex say's yes, and this incorporates both Verity's and Mordax's idea's, and the information Straegis told us about trebuchet's. OK?

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Assuming there's nothing we can do to get the mules better footing, then yes I'm all for it.
Those of us not actively participating in the trap should aid again.
Also if our magic users could stand ready to slow our adversaries from fleeing to safety, that would help insure success. Alex said something about conjuring a web? If we catch them unawares, it will not be necessary, but be ready. The sooner we destroy this infernal contraption and those who tend it the sooner we can aid our allies.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Malazek wrote:"Ah think it soun's like a good plan," Agatha says.

OOC: Is everyone down with this? I know Davin, Verity, and Alex are. Straegis? Mordax?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next