Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 18 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Swifthand wrote:""Nail. Kes."" ("Hound. Guard.")

Nature check=31

Leaving Hound to guard the wagon, I murmur a benediction to the Queen as I enter her center of worship. Then, I silently join my friends in the Temple proper.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 18 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:pay ... attention to ... The level of craftsmanship ... the carvings and stonework
History: 1d20=13+14(s)=27
For the most part, the dark walls are bare and austere, hiding silently behind the long shadows which creep through the temple. The few scultpures that cover the walls are worn with age, but tell a story of the last age and the age before; depicting ancient wars between the old gods and new ones, as well as other stories, whose details have been lost to history.

Straegis wrote:he studies the place ... looks carefully for any artworks or names that he recognizes.
History: 1d20=18+14(s)=32
Many stories are depicted here: the rise and fall of Arkhosia, the rise and fall of Bael Turath. One story, set during the reign of Bael Turath, tells of three maidens seduced by the same demon lord. Each begot him a daughter, and each died in childbirth. Another tells of the great war between Arkosia and Bael Turath, and the deluge of the southern desert.

Mordax wrote:Mordax wanders about the temple, torn between duty and honor. Silent tears trace dirty trails down his leathery face, and he trembles as if caught in a cold wind. Stopping in front of an icon of the Raven Queen, he silently renews his vow to bring to her bosom those who took so much so long ago.
For a moment, as the shadows shift, the icon seems to move; but alas, it was but a trick of the light. Still, Mordax feels the sudden pangs of a destiny-filled oath.

Davin wrote:Leaving Hound to guard the wagon, I murmur a benediction to the Queen as I enter her center of worship. Then, I silently join my friends in the Temple proper.
The temple here looks nothing like the quaint little shrines in Brackwater.

Verity wrote:"We bring you what remains of Lord-General Virgil Spica, Lady-General Arietess, Lady-General Manon Van-Pysium, Lady-General Zubina Liber. Too we bring the empty vessel of a Clan Chief as requested by the Oracle for questioning. And, your Holiness, that last shroud holds the High General. There is more." From within the shroud he pulls a satchel holding the High Generals personal effects. He opens it for the High Priest to see the Emperors Signet sitting. "They two were one."
Looking to the Oracle, the High Priests says "The end of an era? The Emperor has no direct heirs" to which the Oracle responds "I have seen as much. Tell me, Verity, who is to be Emperor, now?"

After Verity answers, the Oracle continues "We should begin the sacred rite, and speak with the poor departed soul of this Chief. I am sure he has much to tell us."

OOC: I will try to add more later. It's been a long tiring day.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Halcyon wrote:"The Clan Chief can tell us much, but of what is ours to decide. We must take care in choosing the right questions."
Malazek wrote:"Indeed. And what is it that you would like to know?" the Oracle asks, as the ritual finishes.

OOC: You get three questions. The corpse can answer only what it knows. A Diplomacy check may be required for some answers.
magicspellz12 wrote:Alex raises his eyebrows and steps forward. "We could ask if the whole plan was to capture the Nexus." He mutters to Verity. "But since we've only got 3 districts left, I don't think they need it."
The Witch-King wrote:Mordax watches impassively, remembering similar events on the battlefields of his youth.
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis chimes in "I have a few questions your might ask him. First, who is in charge or who's idea this is? Second, why they are doing this or what they hope to gain? Third, how they can be stopped or what retaliation they most fear from us? I'm not completely sure how these things work but those are my ideas."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity considers the words of his friends. He remembers the urgency of the Queens words and decides on a leap of faith.
"Great Chief of the Dwarf Clans – we call you back from the other side with grim tidings. The Empire has not sought dominion over your people. Rather you died for a lie, fomented by your Rockbenders in a play for dominance of the elemental magics, and presumably dominance of the Clans. Else, the Terramancers would have told you they fight to secure a nexus of rock magic, and not whispered suspicions of Imperial greed in your ear. Lest you think my words false know that I am Verity Servinus, a knight of Death. To bear false oath to one past beyond the veil would be unforgivable in the eyes of my Queen.
"So you see the true hidden purpose of this war is not defense of the Dwarven homeland. Had the Rockbenders never hatched their plot our peoples would be trading profitably even now. Instead Dwarven heritage and tradition stand perched on the brink of a great chasm, soon to plummet into the chaos of this coup: The leadership of the brave stalwart clan chiefs replaced by that of the conniving Rockbenders.
"We seek your aid in defeating our enemy that the truth may be brought to light and the conspirators brought to justice. This ill-conceived war can be ended soon and the lives of many Dwarves and Men spared, with your aid. Help us and give meaning to your final sacrifice. Help us destroy your would – be usurpers.
"Their treachery spreads far and wide through the land. It must be stopped at the source.
"How do we best get beyond that which wards the Cave Temple?
"What must we know to pass safely into the great halls of the Dwarves?"

He awaits the answers to ask the third question.

Diplomacy: 31
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: Awesome supporting argument to go with that 31 Diplomacy! Really.

Verity wrote:"How do we best get beyond that which wards the Cave Temple?
"Dwarves and Formorians guard the Cave Temple, and only a fool's fool would think to challenge their might. Stealth or trickery is your best hope"

But beware, many traps are also constructed within those halls. Some built by the skillful fingers of Dwarves, but many more by the unparalleled artistry of the one called Tulgaarnuk."

Verity wrote:"What must we know to pass safely into the great halls of the Dwarves?"
"The pass from the Cave Temple to the Dwarven Halls is wrought with danger. There, our ancestral foes mingle with abominable horrors, committing bloody orgies unimaginable to godfearing folk ... but a few intrepid souls would stand a much better chance of navigating those infernal corridors than would a marching army."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Swifthand wrote:I stifle a shiver and pull my cloak a bit tighter around my shoulders, feeling an eldritch chill in the air: the dead are among us.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:10 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:At the mention of Foromians Alex's ears are pricked. He has read about those.

-----------
Arcana: 25

What do I know?

-----------
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:10 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis knows it can't be good but he tries to recall what he may remember or have heard about Tulgaarnuk.

History(Tulgaarnuk):1d20=16+14(s)=30
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:At the mention of Foromians Alex's ears are pricked. He has read about those. Arcana: 25
What do I know?
OOC ...

Key Words: Huge fey humanoid (giant)

DC 20: Cyclopses carve castlelike structures from the flowstone accumulations in the Underdark of the Feywild. Within these great structures dwell their fomorian masters. Fomorians are lazy creatures, so cyclopses produce much of the craftwork that fomorians possess.

DC 25: Fomorians enjoy unchallenged power in their subterranean realms. Their power sometimes extends to the surface, where they make war on eladrin courts.

Power Names: Evil Eye.

Also, as was discussed earlier, their realm in the Feywild is directly across the curtian from the Dwarven Homelands. That's why the Dwarves enlisted their help when they expected Eladrin involvement in the pre-war effort (remember, it was the Formorians who told the Dwarves about the Eladrin spies)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis knows it can't be good but he tries to recall what he may remember or have heard about Tulgaarnuk.
History(Tulgaarnuk):1d20=16+14(s)=30
History has made little (if any) mention of Tulgaarnuk. The only time Straegis ever heard the name was at Agatha's house, when Vangg and Verity found Tulgaarnuk's holy symbol amongst the booty. Apparently, he was a kobold priest of the Raven Queen, and a friend of both Vangg and Juggug.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:12 pm

Halcyon wrote:"I fear that Brother Tulgaarnuk preceeded you in departing this world, and likely took the secrets of his traps to his grave; For his Raven talisman was recovered 'mongst the hag Mikas trove. Too you should know it was the blaspheming Rockbenders who dared bring about the massacre at Cave Temple. Hags, trolls and giants felled the blows there, but the Rockbenders masterminded the slaughter, for their own magical gain.
"Some specifics then: what can you tell us of words of passage we may need to pass from the temple to the dwarven halls?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"... what can you tell us of words of passage we may need to pass from the temple to the dwarven halls?"
"Words of passage? The ancient corridors hold many doors; sealed shut to either protect the world from what lies behind them, or to protect what lies behind them from the world. Some of these doors have stood since before time recorded. Some of these doors should not be opened."

"Yet, if you wish to travel from the Cave Temple to the Dwarven Halls, there is a road under the mountain. To follow the same road we did, you need only to answer two riddles. The first answer is A HOLE and the second is STEEL. But that path is heavily guarded by my clansmen."

"If you wish to avoid them, you must answer riddles that we could not. I can repeat for you the riddles I remember, but I cannot tell you which door is the one you seek, for I do not know. And remember, there will be yet other doors."

"The riddles I recollect are ... What is that which goes with a wagon, comes with a wagon, is of no use to a wagon, and yet the waon cannot go without it? ... What cannot be named without being broken? ... and ... When one does not know it, it is something; when one knows it, it is nothing."

"That is all I can tell you. I must depart now ..."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"The second one is silence. Thats easy. The others will take a little more time." Says Alex almost straight away. (Using his Int of 20)

He ponders a little longer. "I think the last one is a secret. I don't know about the first. How about you Davin, you drive the wagon!?"

Alex brushes of his clothes. "Now its time to go freeze some dwarves and break some war machines. Are they really going to let us out of here without a fight?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Halcyon wrote:"We shall best these riddles and all else that stands in our way. When finally the dwarves are put to rights, the Cave Temple shall be reclaimed. Before you Primus and you Most Holy and The Queen herself do I swear: The Cave Temple will not remain in the hands of it's supplanters.
"Under other circumstances I would love to tarry long, for I still have much to learn in the ways of the Faithful. I am overdue to tap the vast repository of teachings held within these walls, but the Queen has another pilgrimage in store for me and mine.
"I would ask that a contingent of knights be sent forth to our aid, but I fear t'would break truce with the dwarves who hold the Pines. It seems there is nothing left for me to do here but offer a small tithe, and to pray."

He hands the High Priest a gem. "If it please you Most Holy, I humbly ask that ye lead my companions and I in a benediction before we depart."

Diplomacy: 20
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:"If it please you Most Holy, I humbly ask that ye lead my companions and I in a benediction before we depart."
The Oracle agrees that sending knights would compromise your missionm but says the Benediction (which is spoken in the old tongue), "Oh validus Regina, commodo beatus illa defessus viator, sic they vires perago suum absentis pro is est vicis pro lemma iungo vos. Sive they should animadverto vos pro suum negotium est universa, tunc ego scisco vos, commodo tribuo lemma pacis quod eternus solor. In nomen of Regina, ego beatus thee." (Oh, mighty Queen, please bless these weary travelers, so they might finish their mission before it is time for them to join you. But if they should see you before their task is complete, then I ask you, please grant them peace and everlasting solace. In the name of the Queen, I bless thee.)

Before long, the party is back on the road, heading toward the eastern slopes.

OOC: The benediction gives all of you an Action Point.
OOC: Are you just rolling through the streets? Or is there another plan?
OOC: BTW, it's about 8:30 pm in game.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:As the party gets back into the wagon, I sit down next to Hound and grab the reins.

"We have between 3-4 hours before the attack. We are only a district or so away from Rainen's. Let's head over to his shop and see if we can do some trading before we hit the road tonight."

"HYAA! HYAA!"

Provided there is no objection, I drive to Rainen's. I will take 10 on Perception, Stealth, and Nature to drive there, avoiding Dwarven entanglements on the way. And, that's the trick, isn't it?

Hound agrees.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Verity's Minor Quest: Bring a "Clanhead to the Oracle" is complete.
That's 120 XPs for everyone (11,578 total now)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I drive to Rainen's.
The district wall between the Three Pines and the Three Suns has been reduced mostly to rubble, so there is no gate to pass through ... but Davin manages to avoid any trouble, despite the rumble of creaky wheels over busted concrete. His keen Elven ears hear the grumbling voices of Dwarves long before they hear the grumbling voice of the wagon wheels.

It takes just over an hour to reach Rainen's, so the rain has started during the trip. When you reach the shop, you find it in utter ruin. The entire roof, as well as most of the store front, has collapsed. There is also evidence of a small fire, and a decent amount of water damage and flooding. Climbing through the debris and sifting through what has become mostly junk, you do find a few useful remnants of the shop.

Davin finds the remains of the ritual tome. It has suffered significant damage, but some of the pages are still intact. Perhaps some of the rituals have survived.

Davin also finds a set of lock picks and other small tools, rolled up neatly in a leather case.

During the search, Alex and Straegis both find a few surviving Alchemical Reagents and Rare Herbs (preserved in pouches or jars). (Straegis finds 550 worth of Alchemical Reagents. Alex finds 250 worth of Alchemical Reagents, and 300 worth of Rare Herbs. These are, of course, Ritual Components).

Verity finds a small bag of mixed gems (a piece of amber, an amethyst, 2 garnets, a moonstone, a finger of jade, 2 pearls, a peridot, and a turquoise). He estimates the bag to be worth about a grand.

Mordax finds a bedroll that looks miraculously unaffected by the fire, though it is a bit damp. Upon closer inspection, he discovers the seams of the bedroll have ben stitched with runes. Perhaps it a special bedroll?

OOC: If Alex OR Straegis takes a look at the bedroll, they easily figure out that it's magical.

Restful Bedroll
Power (Daily): Standard Action. Use this power when you complete an extended rest in the restful bedroll. Gain 1d8 temporary hit points that last until you take another rest (short or extended).

As the party exits the shop, an old crone stumbles out of the shadows.
As her face comes into the light, you see the familiar face of Agatha.
She smiles and says "'Ello! I 'eard y'be needin' my 'elp.".
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Runes you say Mordax? I'll take a look."

Alex takes the bedroll and summons his ghostly watergloves around his real gloves. Using them to amplify any traces of mana within the item. "Yep. Certainly magical."

Then he takes a look at the runes. "Ah, yes. This will be very useful. You shall posess enhanced vigour during the mornings with this. It's a restful bedroll. You should hang onto it."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I slip the book and picks and tools into my pack, and, with a half grin, walk over to Agatha and trap her in a hug.

"Thanks for coming. Let me explain...wait, there is too much. Let me sum up."

I quickly summarize the situation, including our run in's with Morgan, the plan with the rain (and our need for a huge storm), the plan to attack the siege equipment, and the death of the Emperor.

"This may be the chance you have been waiting for, my friend. Your chance to redeem yourself with the race of man and the family of your true love - the descendants of Zerxus."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Despite being vaught off guard, Agatha returns Davin's hug. After listening intently to his tale, she responds.
"A storm? Is'at all? Fin' me a safe place t'do my conj'rin' an' ah'll brew up th' wickedes' tempes' this city evah saw!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:31 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Brilliant." Alex smiles. Grasping Agatha's hand tightly instead of hugging, but his smile is warm.

Alex looks at Mordax, and a spell flashes into his mind before he can beat his instincts. He then takes another look at Agatha and steps backwards. Davin might notice the air around him thickening with moisture, although thats nothing unusual in the presence of the watermage.

-------------------
Ready an Ice Spikes to go off infront of Mordax should he attempt any sort of run at Agatha, so he has to go through them. Just RP! I love you really
-------------------

Alex slips on the eyepatch to see if there is anything hidden within the shop.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax levels his gaze at the foul beast, eyes narrowed, square jaw tight. He studies her openly, hammer held at a slight angle, ready to launch in a heartbeat.

He makes no moves, though; in fact, he appears as if made of granite, so unmoving is he.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"You'll see the truth of it soon enough." Verity says to Mordax under his breath. He steps forward and bows to the hag.
"Much pleased you've answered our call Agatha, and none too quickly. Best we take you to the Lions for your work, that you may coordinate with the generals. That is, if we still have time?"

Diplomacy (for Mordax): 28
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:Alex slips on the eyepatch to see if there is anything hidden within the shop.
The Eyepatch reveals nothing inside the collapsed store.

NOTE: The Concordance of the Aqueas Templar drops to 12.
The Eyepatch projects a sensation of "longing" but its concordance doesn't change
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 25 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next