Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 20 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Assuming everyone is down with the plan, I will post my rolls. I could use an aid from Verity, Alex, Agatha, and Straegis on my Theivery checks. Mordax cannot aid, because he will be up on the trebuchet, cutting loose the counterweight.

Thievery check=12, 22, 14, 10, 20, 26
Stealth check=26 (take 10)

O.O.C. #2 - Verity, lend Mordax your Climbing Kit.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 20 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Davin wrote:O.O.C. #2 - Verity, lend Mordax your Climbing Kit.
Certainly, here you go. Best not to hammer the pitons in, lest you alert our foes of course. Still, the pitons and rope may give you more solid purchase as you climb.
If Davin and Mordax move alternately then we can focus our aid on both...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:42 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Yes Yes.
Malazek wrote:IF Mordax agrees to climb this monster ...

First, he'll need a couple stealth checks, to get onto the Trebuchet without being seen.
Once he's on the climb, he will no longer need to make Stealth rolls.
(And he's still at +18 to the check, provided everyone is aiding him).

... He needs Fourteen Athletics checks each at a DC of 14.
(5 Base for the Scaffold, +5 for Rain, +2 for the Darkness, +2 for the Rain).

If he can tell me how to use the climbing kit without actually using the pitons or hammer, then he will have enough bonus to automatically make the roll. Without it, he needs a 3 or better on the die (on each of 14 rolls) or he falls to ... possibly to his doom.

Assuming he makes these rolls, it will take him 7 rounds to climb it.
Any failure will result in a fall (possibly a very serious one).

Once at the top, he'll need to hammer free the giant wooden pins that hold the counter-weight housing to the upper axle. Being that high-up, no stealth checks should be necessary ... though Thievery or Athletics will be; let's call that a DC of 19 (though, I'll give you a +2 for using a hammer or mallet; plus the hammer's enhancement bonus, if you use your magical one).

NOTE: After Mordax gets to the top, he'll need to wait until the wheels are loose before dropping the counter-weight.
___

Davin will also need Stealth checks to get to the Wheels without being spotted ... but with aid from everyone, I guess he can't really miss it (he gets a 33 even on a natural 1 ... and he'll need a 24).

From there, he will need six thievery/athletics checks accompanied by six more automatic Stealth checks. Of the six thievery checks posted (12, 22, 14, 10, 20, 26) only three are good enough ... of course, with telepathic aid he should still make it.
___

Anybody else who plans to help attack the wheels loose (after the counter-weight falls and the mules freak out) will need to give me Stealth checks to get into position. The DC is 14.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Once we're ready to smush dwarves I'd love to help insure an end to their miserable attacks on our fair capital. I'll sneak up to knock off a wheel. That is, with a little hep from my friends, of course.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: If necessary, Straegis could climb also don't know if two heads would/could be better than one with that plan, he might have trouble with the stealth rolls but he's alright at athletics. If not, he will definitely assist with pulling of the pins and spooking of the mules. Would either the thunderous hammer or that axe be of assistance during this endeavor? We still have them.

Straegis asks "How many wheels are we dislodging? I think we need to leave an odd number of wheels on it, so that when we are done the thing is askew, otherwise theoretically they could reconnect the c/weight and still use the thing. At least if there was one wheel on one side it would be so off balance it wouldn't work again easily."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:We're weakening all 6 wheels, attacking 4 of them, all the ones in back. We're hoping that the counterweight falling completely destroys the base of the mechanism, and the mules tear out the front wheels and/or rip it in half. We just need Stealth and attack rolls for me, Stragis, Alex, and Verity, and Athletics and Stealth rolls for Mordax.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Would either the thunderous hammer or that axe be of assistance during this endeavor? We still have them.
OOC: Actually, Mordax is WIELDING the Gravity Hammer.

Straegis II wrote:"I think we need to leave an odd number of wheels ... otherwise they could reconnect the c/weight and still use the thing. At least if there was one wheel on one side it would."
OOC: That counter-weight probably weighs 20-40 tons; they're not reconnecting it any time soon.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Malazek wrote:NOTE: Just to be clear ...

After the wheels are sabotaged and the counter-weight is dropped, you're all going to need to do about 60 points of damage to move one of these wheels. The wheels have AC 3, Fortitude 15, and automatically are hit by anything that targets Reflex. I recommend using "Coup De Grace" with your most damaging attack ... that way, any hit is a Critical hit, and you only need to do 30 damage to "kill" it (instead of 60).

Alternately, you could use hit with ANY attack that can push, pull, or slide.

Another option would be to make a "break down" or "break through" attempt. The DC for that would be around 35 (it's closer to 50 before Swift sabotages it). This could be made with Thievery or Athletics, but using a lever could add anywhere from +2 to +4 to your roll.

Also here is a quick sketch. I'm not as much of an artist as some of you guys, and it's quite pixelated for some reason. But it should help give some indication of the scale we are talking. I drew a guy beneath it to provide a size comparison:

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 20 Pq10BZ1A
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:44 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex goes along with the plan, moving into position and helping everyone else by forcing the rain water to sort of hang in the air, around them aiding with concealment.
Swifthand wrote:Remember, I need aid on 3 of those Thievery checks or we fail, folks. You do not need to be trained.

DM EDIT: And it can be done telepathically and while taking-10; you just need to post that your doing it (and remember, everyone has to move into position one at a time, or you'll be too busy making stealth rolls to make aid rolls).
magicspellz12 wrote:I'll aid on Thievery. I got a +5!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:IF Mordax agrees to climb this monster ...

First, he'll need a couple stealth checks, to get onto the Trebuchet without being seen.
Once he's on the climb, he will no longer need to make Stealth rolls.
(And he's still at +18 to the check, provided everyone is aiding him).

... He needs Fourteen Athletics checks each at a DC of 14.
(5 Base for the Scaffold, +5 for Rain, +2 for the Darkness, +2 for the Rain).

If he can tell me how to use the climbing kit without actually using the pitons or hammer, then he will have enough bonus to automatically make the roll. Without it, he needs a 3 or better on the die (on each of 14 rolls) or he falls to ... possibly to his doom.

Assuming he makes these rolls, it will take him 7 rounds to climb it.
Any failure will result in a fall (possibly a very serious one).

Once at the top, he'll need to hammer free the giant wooden pins that hold the counter-weight housing to the upper axle. Being that high-up, no stealth checks should be necessary ... though Thievery or Athletics will be; let's call that a DC of 19 (though, I'll give you a +2 for using a hammer or mallet; plus the hammer's enhancement bonus, if you use your magical one).

NOTE: After Mordax gets to the top, he'll need to wait until the wheels are loose before dropping the counter-weight.

Mordax doffs his boots and arranges them around his neck and ties off the hammer to his broad belt. Shaking his head at the offer of an additional hammer, he takes a single piton and unravels his tough hemp net, which he cords into a line.

Skulking through the night he reaches the great war machine, oblivious to anything but his goal. Taking the lone piton, he levers it into the natural flaws in the rough structure with his great brawn, and uses it as an anchor. Flinging the net upwards, he catches a slight protrusion in the soak-expanded unfinished wood, and hauls himself upwards. Again he digs the piton into the soft wood and anchors himself. Repeatedly, agonizingly, he inches ever-upward, into the dark night.

Finally reaching the top, he creeps over the side of the platform, careful to avoid any enemies. In position, he gives a silent roar, unlimbering the mighty hammer, ready to topple the massive counterweight.

OOC: Ha! How's that for using the climbing kit? Highlander+fisherman=goat when climbing ftw.

Oops did that wrong, 2d20=24 = 2d20 → [19,5] = (24), so 19+18 (aid)+4 (dex+1/2 lvl)= 41 and 5+18 (aid)+4 (dex+1/2 lvl)= 27 stealth.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Agatha helps telepathically wherever she can ... and when the time comes, she utilizes the reciprocal aid to move herself into position.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Time check?

Straegis will aid in any way he can.

Thievery(aid): 1d20=19+3(half-lvl)=22
Athletics: 1d20=3+18(assist?)+12(s)=33?
Stealth: 1d20=6+18(assist?)+3(half-lvl)=27?
Athletics: 1d20=2+18(assist?)+12(s)=32?
Thievery(aid): 1d20=20+3(half-lvl)=23
Stealth: 1d20=7+18(assist?)+3(half-lvl)=28?
Athletics: 1d20=2+18(assist?)+12(s)=32?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity creeps down the hill to stand near a middle wheel. When the time is right he brings divine power to bear, drawing the wheel towards him.

Beckon Foe: 18 to hit, 22 damage and the wheel is pulled 2 squares towards Verity.

OCC: This could get real tedious real quick so let’s nip it in the bud – If we need to post every time we aid each other while under the benefit of +4 to aid, it takes forever to get anything done.
Can we assume that we are all aiding each other, starting with Davins’ Thievery checks, forever more whenever Verity invokes ‘One Heart, One Mind’ for the +4 aid bonus and aid is needed? Please everyone confirm so we don’t have to wait for everyone to post “I aid for a +4” from everyone
every time. Please, it can totally be our Christmas present to each other.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 pm

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:Can we assume that we are all aiding each other, starting with Davins’ Thievery checks, forever more whenever Verity invokes ‘One Heart, One Mind’ for the +4 aid bonus and aid is needed? Please everyone confirm so we don’t have to wait for everyone to post “I aid for a +4” from everyone every time. Please, it can totally be our Christmas present to each other.
OOC: In THIS case, sure, I just needed to know that everyone was down with the plan (and actually followed along with it). BUT, I don't want people just assuming, because many times people will have to choose between aiding and taking their own actions.

Also, I like to know HOW people are aiding one another. In this case, the plan was quite clear; "we are taking turns watching out for each other as we sneak past the dwarves as onto the trebuchet." But it's not always going to be so easy.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Time check?
Almost midnight ...

So far ...

Davin snuck forward and quietly dislodged the hub pins from the trebuchet wheels. Then, Mordax snuck up the side the trebuchet and climbed to the top as everyone else snuck onto the base beside Davin.

As the moon reaches it's zenith (staring down at you from a rainy haze), it is time for Mordax to cut the counterweight free and for everyone else to knock the wheels loose.

_____

OOC: I just need your attacks (powers and rolls). I have Mordax's roll for kncoking the counterweight loose, and I have Verity's attack (and Swift is about to post his).

PS: I'm assuming you're using telepathy to time your readied actions (so that everyone goes at about the same time).

______

OOC: Also, those of you who wanted to ready an additional action for the same round that the wheels are knocked loose should spend an action point to do so ... or, just wait until round 2 to ready it.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 56/56; AC 19 Fort 18 Ref 20 Will 19; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 54/54; AC 18 Fort 16 Ref 16 Will 15; Healing Surges=7/8

Hound at my side, I silently and invisibly climb aboard the trebucet platform. Pulling two arrows, I aim at the wheel, and send a mental message to the group.

"I am ready."

I listen as each of the others check in, and wait for the "Go!" signal. Then, I send the two arrows, one after the other, deep into a tiny crack in the axle near the wheel. The first arrow widens the crack, and the 2nd splinters the already weakened assembly, sending the wheel crashing into the mud next to the trebuchet.

"Nail, Caes!" ("Hound, Herd!")

Stealth check=26 (take 10)
Hound's Stealth check=32
Twin Strike 1=19 (Coup de Grace)
Twin Strike 2=12 (Coup de Grace)
Twin Strike 2 (Elven Accuracy)=19
TS 1 Damage=14
TS 2 Damage=14
Hunter's Quarry Damage=8

Nature check to command Hound to herd the mules away=31

Arrow Count=38/40, Wrapped=20/20

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex dashes through the night as quiet as possible. All the time keeping in touch with his allies. Upon nearing his designated wheel (at the front, nearest the mules) he whips his hand out to the left, commanding a stream of water to free itself from his waterskin. Bringing his hand to the front it follows, and as he lifts his hand forward a slender icy slope gathers before him, sparkling in the night.

He continues his run up it and leaps off, over his wheel and rolling into position. The puddles on the trebuchet silencing his fall as he thickens them to snow with a gesture. Getting up and crouching behind his chosen wheel, he raises his hands. His waterskin empties itself and the puddles at his feet swell. He swings his arms backwards and a huge wave of water towers behind him. He sends his message.

I am ready.

As soon as the attack is confirmed he sweeps his arms around. The wave follows, slamming into the wheel in an attempt to knock it out.

----------------------
Jump 20 (+ the Jump spell)
Blizzard Wave
Attack Roll 30
Damage Roll 12.
Using Blizzard Wave (Spectral Ram) to Push 3 squares on a hit.
Rolls
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis II: HP:54/54 AC:20 Fort:20 Ref:20 Will:17 Healing Surges:8/8 Action Points:1

Move: To either C5 or P5 whichever is wheel is open.
Straegis makes his way across the trebuchet and readies himself to attack one of the rearmost wheels, he sends a message to his allies when he is in place and awaits their signal to drop off the side and make a coup de grace on the wheel he attacks.

Move: To either A5 or R5.
Attack(Warlord's Favor): 1d20=14+11=25 (Coup de Grace)
Damage(Warlord's Favor): Crit.= 2d8+7=23 +Crit. Damage(Sword): 1d8=8 =Total Damage: 31

O.O.C. I wasnt sure who was at which wheel, Mal can you edit if necessary so Straegis is not at a wheel with someone else.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:48 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:When ... drop the counterweight, we attack the back 4 wheels. ... allowing the mules to pull easier
macksgarageusa wrote:who was at which wheel?
Everyone is at the back four wheels ... except Alex, who is at a front wheel.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:With everyone in position, the moon reaches it's zenith, Hound jumps down and barks the mules into frenzy. Acting with one heart and one mind, the rest of the party simultaneously knocks the wheels loose and sends the counterweight into freefall.

In an instant, the warmachine lurches forward and the counterweight strikes the base (causing 1452 damageto the trebuchet), which sends the loosened wheels flying. The remaining wheel holds for a split second, and then collapses; but not before the unplanned tilt of the base causes the counterweight to roll in an unexpected direction.

It rolls toward Alex, almost crushing him beneath it's massive weight; but Alex manages to get out of the way, just in time (19 vs. AC misses; lucky you, it would've caused 1393 damage).

Free of it's wheels, the base of the warchine slams flat to the ground below, crushing the Dwarves beneath it (2808 damage to those who failed their save, and 1404 to those who made it).

The mules continue to pull but are unable to drag the heavy warmachine without the aid of the front two wheels.

Utterly destroyed, the trebuchet falls apart; it's towering wooden structure falls like a house of cards ... and Mordax falls with it (taking 94 points of damage; that puts him at -29 ... but he's not dead. He can survive to -32. He does, however, have to start making Death Saves until someone heals him).

In mere seconds, you have managed to destroy a towering warmachine and kill an entire platoon of Dwarves!!!

In the distance, you see a blazing fire engulf one of the warmachines, and can only hope that isn't the only other one to fall. You also hear a thunderous clamour that doesn't die in an instant as thunder should, but rolls on, getting louder and louder. You quickly realize it's the cavalry coming to assist to you.
_____

OOC: Although this could've been a deadly combat, it quickly turned into a series of deadly Skill Challenges. So, I am going to award XPs based on the average of those two options (Originally, I was worried that giving you XPs for all those Dwarves would be a tad "Monty Haul" ... but as it turns out, the Skill Challenges were worth about the same amount, anyhow). Nice job, everyone; way to think outside the box!

1733 XPs Each. (That brings everyone to 13,311)
That's enough for 8th level ...
... Add +1 to TWO of your attributes.
... Gain a Feat.
... Add HPs.
... Increase your half-level by 1 (which improves your defenses, attacks, skills, checks, etc).
... Verity/Alex: Increase the Corresponce of the Artifacts by 1d10.
... Mordax: You still need to pick 5th & 7th level Powers!

_____

What next? Moving onto the next Trebuchet?
By now, "One Heart, One Mind" has worn off
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:As the counterweight rolls towards Alex, he gathers water from the puddles after his blizzard wave next to the broken wheel. He throws the water into a hasty (and thin) vertical sheet of ice in front of him. As the counterweight rushes forward it shatters the ice into millions of glass shards and Alex just manages to roll out of the way.

Jumping off the broken warmachine as timbers tumble, Alex see's a speck of light in the air as Mordax begins his decent. He closes his eyes and searches for water.

Seeing only in the mana spectrum, and with the rain constantly dancing across his vision, he liquifies the shards of his broken shield and adds the rain to the mix, as Mordax falls Alex throws his huge watery globe to protect his ally. As it rolls along the ground to where Mordax will surely fall, Alex raises his hands and brings them apart. The massive waterglobe bursts into mist, rain, and then finally settles thickly on the ground as snow.

Thump as Mordax hits the floor. Alex rushes over, hoping that he is ok.

--------------------
Expending my daily power; Snowdrift (Web) to hopefully reduce some of Mordax's damage. I know he would have survived without it, but its what he would have done. The snow will last for 5 minutes however and will make getting to him to heal him a little difficult.

With the destruction of all these dwarves, it seems the Eyepatch is pleased! Increased by 7
--------------------

Alex runs over to Mordax as fast as his legs will carry him. He wades through the snow, struggling to get through but hoping that it has protected Mordax somewhat. When he gets close enough, he summons a ball of water from the snow around him and sends its healing power to Mordax, he chills it slightly, hoping it takes away some of the pain from such a hard fall.

-------------------
Expending Soothing River; Mordax may spend a healing surge and regain an extra 1d6 HP.
-------------------
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:With disgruntled acceptance, Mordax plunges through the darkness, fate's fickle eye upon him. He lets his body go limp, at the last second tucking his limbs and rolling for all he's worth. The last conscious thought is simply a memory, a luminescent face he'd gladly die for.

Athletics to break the fall? 1d20=20 (natch!) + 11 (skill) = 31
Healing surge 1d6=2 = -27, unless some damage was mitigated.

OOC: PHB doesn't list which save is for death. Presume it's Fort?

Death Save 1d20=8+20=28
OOC: Spend a healing surge, go to 11 hps. Did I do that right?

Presuming I did . . .

Mordax rolls over, amazed both at his intact skull and the snow it's currently resting in. A bit dazed, he lurches to his feet and retrieves his hammer and net.

Looking around, he grins broadly, having cheated death one more time.

"Aye, an' tha's a fun one, laddies. Next time I'll be usin' me net tae swing free 'afore tha' ruddy thing comes a'crashin' doon!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:Expending my daily power; Snowdrift (Web) to hopefully reduce some of Mordax's damage. I know he would have survived without it, but its what he would have done. The snow will last for 5 minutes however and will make getting to him to heal him a little difficult.
The snow bank hits Mordax a moment too late.

OOC: Sorry, but when Mordax falls, you don't have a standard action left with which to cast Snowdrift. I stated earlier (before your previous post) that you needed to spend an AP and ready an action if you intended to cast something else this round; since Mordax fell the same round that you knocked the wheel off, you don't have any standard actions left with which to catch him. You may, however, rush over to heal him on round 2.

The Witch-King wrote:OOC: PHB doesn't list which save is for death. Presume it's Fort?
OOC: Fortitude is a Defense, not a Save. All Saves are straight d20 rolls (typically, you need a 10 or better to make a save). Death saves (on page 295) work as such:
... 1-9: You slip closer to death. After 3 such failures, you die.
... 10-19: No change.
... 20: You improve to 0 HP and may spend a surge.
You rolled an 8, so no change.
However, once Alex heals you, you'll be fine.

Mordax wrote:Mordax rolls over, amazed both at his intact skull and the snow it's currently resting in. A bit dazed, he lurches to his feet and retrieves his hammer and net. Looking around, he grins broadly, having cheated death one more time.

"Aye, an' tha's a fun one, laddies. Next time I'll be usin' me net tae swing free 'afore tha' ruddy thing comes a'crashin' doon!"
OOC: Your surge value is 11, but Alex's healing grants you an additional d6; so, you should have 13 current hps.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"I love it when a plan comes together."
Verity whistles for Zephyr.

Aqueous Templar concordance: 18
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"If breaking thier trebuchet doesn't send the Dwarves packing, I'm sure the sight of Mordax's bare arse floating in the wind will!"

O.O.C. - Didn't you say that Piecemeal Armour has a leather skirt? Teeheehee!

Davin grins at his friends and lends a hand to Mordax to get him back on his feet.

"Anyone for another round?"

I whistle to Hound and then begin to sneak off to another trebuchet.

O.O.C. - Merry Christmas, everyone!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 25 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next