Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 12 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Master Jenna is coming here?!"

"I can't belive it. This is all so much more than I had expected. But, there is a problem. However, before I must explain all that let me introduce everyone."
"Well, yes, introduction ARE in order, aren't they?" Viktor responds.

Alex wrote:"Mykondalar, I have kept my side of the bargain and told everyone I have met of your peaceful message, and I have brought you an entire cow so that you may feast upon it's tasty beef, once more as thanks for your hospitality, and answering my questions. May we all move inside and get dry so we can discuss things more comfotably?"
Mykondalar adds "Yes, yes. The lodge has again been prepared for your arrival. Viktor and I have been trading lore since this morning. Many histories have I learned."

Alex wrote:"Let me introduce everyone. This is Vanng and Verity, Priest and Swordsman of the Raven Queen respectively. Davin, an elven woodsman, Straegis II, Eladrin Warrior. Mordax, our most newly aquainted warrior, a fisherman of Brackwater and the Malbog. Our 'group' perhaps also includes Kardan, a mighty spear fighter, but he is busy at the moment, which is what I must talk to you about. Oh, how I am glad we decided to come through the Malbog."
"Our hunters know of Mordax, though he might not know of them."

Alex wrote:Alex looks around, and sigh's, "Mykondalar and Viktor, I know you can be trusted so you must know that my new friends and I are in a spot of trouble. Let me try and cut the long story short.

Streagis has upon his person a scroll of great importance that must be delivered to the Human armies, or at least as far as we can tell, that is it's designed target. After leaving Mykondalar after making the initial discoveries we returned to Brackwater but discovered Eladrin spies who attacked us, they were the Maer.

We left rather hastily and plan to go to the Imperial City to deliver the scroll. I did, however, wish to come back here to see if my message had been recieved by Master Jenna and if she sent an Animal messenger in return, it would find me here. It is lucky you managed to make it to the Dragon Tribe so quickly or our paths would not have crossed.

So now I ask of you, what do you need me for? I am bound by honour, duty and friendship to follow this band of people I have come to call my comrades and companions to the Imperial City. Each one has helped to both ensure my survival, and has aided in every discovery I have been able to make about our ancient bloodlines. If it were not for Vanng I would have never returned to the Malbog after my initial examination, but I happened upon him and we all began signed up to work for a hag- I, obivously needing the money to get back home and report my lack of discovery or success at the time.

Thus is my problem. I am bound by ties to both follow this group of adventurers and aid Straegis in removing the mark upon his head. But at the same time, my bottom rank as a scholar of Imil makes you, and of course Master Jenna, my superior, and those bonds transcend those that I share with this company, so I ask; what is it you require of me?"
"Hmm. A conundrum. Well, we shall ask Mistress Jenna of her plan when she arrives. Mykondalar and Wyrana shall help us with the portal; if any of your friends are skilled enough, their help will be appreciated as well. I have already drawn the sigils upon the floor."

Meanwhile ...
Verity wrote:"ACHOO!" Well bet baster Viktor. Ahem.

Wyrana steps over to Verity several minutes later. "It seems the Akasha speaks. Drink this. As you once cured me, I shall now cure you." She hands Verity a clay bowl filled with foul-smelling tea; she hands a similiar bowl to Alex.

Davin wrote:I want to begin a regiment tonight of training the new riding horses to be battle hardened, so they won't spook next time we get into trouble. I will also dry them off, check their shoes, feed, water and talk to Kradag about a shelter that we can keep them in over night out of the rain.

Nature check for horse training and care = 29
If no party members volunteer, I will ask Kradag.
Davin finds Kradag rather quickly, because Kradag was already tending to the tribe's new cow. He lets the young members of his hunting team take the cow, and shakes hands with Davin. "Much alike we have, Davin Arrowmaker. Lets' get roof over these horses!
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 606

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets" - Page 12 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Two: "Urgent Secrets"

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:OOC: For some reason, I thought Halcyon was out of town this week ... but I see him online now (and then remembered I saw him earlier, too ... Halcyon, didn't you tell me you'd be out of town?). I guess I posted for you for no reason, eh?
I'll be around tomorrow too, but then out until Sunday.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:Wyrana steps over to Verity several minutes later. "It seems the Akasha speaks. Drink this. As you once cured me, I shall now cure you." She hands Verity a clay bowl filled with foul-smelling tea; she hands a similiar bowl to Alex.

Verity cannot help but think back to how much better his own curative tea smelled. He suppresses a shiver. He wonders why he lost favor with Fate, that she would punish him with this mucky soup. Moments after he takes a gulp though, his chill subsides and he can breathe well again.

"Tastes...healthy. Perhaps healthy enough to rouse the dead! Thank you, good Wyrana. Truly you are a treasure of your people. You must tell me, there is something I can't quite place the flavor of in this tea - may I ask what gives it the aroma of, well, over-ripe cheese? A curative this potent is a secret to be shared."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:20 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis senses the ills of his mates and wonders how he has been so lucky as to avoid this. He thinks to himself that if noone wants the cloak, and it will fit over his current armor, he would be glad to have such an item. Straegis offers his own healing to anyone who might need it. "Alex," he continues, "I know the dilemma you face now, but if you could find it in your heart to continue with us, I know you would find much reward for your effort, perhaps you may even have some ideas to aid in the selection of our path from here on out."

O.O.C.: I don't know if that cloak fits over my current armor...if it does, I would like to have that item. Does it basically allow
me to store one of my daily/encounter actions so that I could technically use it twice per day/encounter?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: I don't know if that cloak fits over my current armor...if it does, I would like to have that item. Does it basically allow me to store one of my daily/encounter actions so that I could technically use it twice per day/encounter?
The Cagoule doesn't fit properly over or under ANY armor (because it IS armor, and characters are only allowed to wear one set of armor). Even if it were stretched or bunched or otherwised forced over/under other armor, then only one set would function.

But, if worn AS armor the cagoule allows you to store an at-will or encounter power and use it later. It can be a power that you or an ally has. And you can use it in addition to your real powers
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"Tastes...healthy. Perhaps healthy enough to rouse the dead! Thank you, good Wyrana. Truly you are a treasure of your people. You must tell me, there is something I can't quite place the flavor of in this tea - may I ask what gives it the aroma of, well, over-ripe cheese? A curative this potent is a secret to be shared."
Wyrana whispers "It's steeped in mixture of nine worts, seven berries, five toadstools, and three herbs (algae, garlic, and horehound) ... and the unusual ingredient you are tasting is bog toad, which must be used sparingly, or they can be dangerous. When the tribe eats frogs, I save the glands and eyes from the head, and pickle them for later use; seeping them with the rest of the tea. But the proportions must always be exact, or such a tea can make you ill. Or worse."

Vangg mutters something about mudmuckers and frogstews.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:21 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis sees Alex and Viktor setting up for the ritual and offer his assistance. He bows slightly as he
introduces himself, "Well met Sir Viktor, I am Straegis II. I would gladly help you with your
ritual as I do have, at least a little, experience with this type of thing."

Arcana=21 (To aid Alex and Viktor)
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:Wyrana whispers "It's steeped in mixture of nine worts, seven berries, five toadstools, and three herbs (algae, garlic, and horehound) ... and the unusual ingredient you are tasting is bog toad, which must be used sparingly, or they can be dangerous. When the tribe eats frogs, I save the glands and eyes from the head, and pickle them for later use; seeping them with the rest of the tea. But the proportions must always be exact, or such a tea can make you ill. Or worse."
“Toadstools you say? Interesting, I had thought they were used for more…spiritual elixirs - vision quests and the like. Well, no matter. Can you tell me more of the properties of the bog toad? I feel I should learn more about toxins as Straegis there has already suffered an attack by assassins. I fear such attacks may continue in the Imperial city, full of intrigue as it is, and with Straegis carrying a secret message. Anything you can tell me of symptoms and antidotes may be useful in our endevor, though I pray we've no need.”
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“Toadstools you say? Interesting, I had thought they were used for more…spiritual elixirs - vision quests and the like. Well,
"The body cannot live without the mind, and the mind cannot live without the spirit. It is true, that many toadstools ARE used for visions; but many are used for healing. Some, are even used for both (such as this one)."

Verity wrote:"no matter. Can you tell me more of the properties of the bog toad? I feel I should learn more about toxins as Straegis there has already suffered an attack by assassins. I fear such attacks may continue in the Imperial city, full of intrigue as it is, and with Straegis carrying a secret message. Anything you can tell me of symptoms and antidotes may be useful in our endeavor, though I pray we've no need.”
"Like the toadstool, the Bog Toad has both medicinal and poison powers, and can sometimes lead to deeper understandings. Perpared the way it has been, it should poison whatever diseases you are carrying; but the effect on you should be relatively harmless."
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:22 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax is a silent stone in the corner, discretely covering his etched trident with his net.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis sees Alex and Viktor setting up for the ritual and offer his assistance. He bows slightly as he introduces himself, "Well met Sir Viktor, I am Straegis II. I would gladly help you with your ritual as I do have, at least a little, experience with this type of thing."
"Thank you, Straegis II. Eladrin expertise is always welcomed when it comes to matters arcane."

My ritual might not be as cool as Alex's, but I tried (besides, Viktor didn't roll very high for his Arcana check) ...

Mykondalar, Wyrana, Alex, Straegis, Vangg (and Verity?) help Viktor perform the ritual. Viktor directs the particpants to the empty spaces surrounding the Seal of Imil (a circle within a heptagram, surrounded by 13 specific sigils; the sigils themselves drawn with a special mixture of aqua vitae and rare mercurial pigments). A shallow bowl of water sits in the midst of the circle. Smaller bowls of powdered pigments sit in front of every participant, each a different tint and shade of blue and green.

Once in position, Viktor hands a tiny rolled scroll to every helper, and then begins his chant. "Odael sor taendraes vysar mai sar aer jhaer sai si kaeraes vysar sar thyl ail si cyr syrdaes os si maelor toria Aistor. Aer partis taeraer thys sor vesyri eil byrn shi brevis sai tylaes brevis aer shaeraes sai salaer mos saesi os mai sar oraes tae salaer mos caesi. Ai cali parn si mondror iadyl si thys, brevis si aezas tystolarol sai ialys sar malaer pysae ail Aistor. Si ci partis kolael sai ti thys sor vesyri. Byrn Ai tar iadyl si kaer maer sai ialys sor varandri. Odael Byrn."

Then, he directs each participant, in turn, to open their scrolls and trace the rune found within upon the floor, using the pigment located in front them. And then, to rinse their finger in the center bowl. Each partipant follows suit, until all have drawn their rune and washed themselves of the color.

Then, he ends by repeating the previous verse. "Odael sor taendraes vysar mai sar aer jhaer sai si kaeraes vysar sar thyl ail si cyr syrdaes os si maelor toria Aistor. Aer partis taeraer thys sor vesyri eil byrn shi brevis sai tylaes brevis aer shaeraes sai salaer mos saesi os mai sar oraes tae salaer mos caesi. Ai cali parn si mondror iadyl si thys, brevis si aezas tystolarol sai ialys sar malaer pysae ail Aistor. Si ci partis kolael sai ti thys sor vesyri. Byrn Ai tar iadyl si kaer maer sai ialys sor varandri. Odael Byrn."

The newly drawn runes seem to glow, and the previous sigils begin to run toward the center of the circle. The water in the larger bowl begins to billow out, creating a dense fog. Through the haze, you think you see a chamber formed of the whitest stone ... no, it's not stone; it's Ice!

Into the haze appears a woman of remarkable beauty; though young in appearance, her eyes hold wisdom and torture beyond that of her youthful shell. She smiles, and steps through the haze and into the lodge! Four soldiers and three scholarly sages (both men and women) step through behind her.

"Hello, Viktor. Alex."

Master Jenna has arrived.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Swifthand wrote:Leading the last of the horses to the shelter Kradag provided, I hear a hypnotic chant and see a strange, eldritch light emanate from the lodge where I left the others. Dropping the horse's reins, I ready my bow and knock an arrow in mid-stride, running for the lodge's hide-draped door.

Steeling myself for the worst, I push aside the hide, aiming at the nearest stranger.

I take a moment to absorb the situation, and, not detecting any hostility, I lower my bow, and raise an eyebrow quizzically.

O.O.C. - Even Davin's passive Arcana sucks. No former interaction with magic at all....

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Kradag secures the reigns quickly, and follows Davin with his spear poised for the kill. Once inside, he laughs. "Even you friends be hunted! Haha! Truly, the master bowman be Fletcher Davin!"

Wyrana and Mykondalar look at each other and laugh; aided in their speech by magic, even they realize Kradag's grasp of the common tongue sounds funny.

But ... In addition to the usual suspects, Davin sees that there are eight newcomers (four of which immediately stepped between the Davin and their apparent leader, ready to "take" the arrow on her behalf).
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex bites back a chuckle, pulling himself up from his crosslegged position on the floor as the bodyguards practise their fluid movement (in so many ways attempting to mimick the water that shapes and supplies life to Imil, and the rest of the world) as they launch themselves infront of the scholars. Their courage and reactions are impressive, but surely they must know Master Jenna can protect herself. Had Davin shot any arrows, even a quick elf like him, they would have been snared by Waterwhips, or broken to shards on a wall of ice within an instant.

Alex bends to a low bow, and fluidly summons a ball of moisture from the air, holding his palm outward, the water forms a spinning bracelet around his wrist for a few seconds in greeting. Viktor does the same. Master Jenna nods in reply and offers both him and Alex a small smile.

"Master Jenna" Alex almost combusts with pride, and then turns his blue eyes on the three much older scholars standing aside her. "High Scholar Nicholas, High Scholar Iassac and High Scholar Darrick" Alex nods his head to each of the sages in turn, and struggles to maintain his serious face as he catches a wink from Garret, one of the soldiers whom Alex spent a lot of time training with, from the back row of now retreated bodyguards.

Alex would dearly love to introduce his friends, or his hosts, but in the aura of power emanating from Master Jenna and the untold might of knowledge the three sages posess, he is lost for words and meerly stutters as Master Jenna steps forward.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:"The body cannot live without the mind, and the mind cannot live without the spirit. It is true, that many toadstools ARE used for visions; but many are used for healing. Some, are even used for both (such as this one).
"Like the toadstool, the Bog Toad has both medicinal and poison powers, and can sometimes lead to deeper understandings. Perpared the way it has been, it should poison whatever diseases you are carrying; but the effect on you should be relatively harmless."

Verity continues, “I must confess I’m quite unfamiliar with most the ingredients you speak of but I have no doubt as to their effectiveness. Indeed I feel great! So what sort of worts and berries went into the brew, if I may … Whoa! Did you see that glowing ball of light just fly by?!”
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:Mykondalar, Wyrana, Alex, Straegis, Vangg (and Verity?) help Viktor perform the ritual. Viktor directs the particpants to the empty spaces surrounding the Seal of Imil (a circle within a heptagram, surrounded by 13 specific sigils; the sigils themselves drawn with a special mixture of aqua vitae and rare mercurial pigments). A shallow bowl of water sits in the midst of the circle. Smaller bowls of powdered pigments sit in front of every participant, each a different tint and shade of blue and green.

Verity blinks and rubs his eyes. “What’s that? Oh yes, I’d be honored to aid in the ritual casting. Alex speaks so highly of his master; I quite look forward to meeting the venerable aquamancer. Here we are then. By the Queen, this powder is so - very - BLUE! As though it's ensorceled to carry the very essence of blue...”
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:Kradag secures the reigns quickly, and follows Davin with his spear poised for the kill. Once inside, he laughs. "Even you friends be hunted! Haha! Truly, the master bowman be Fletcher Davin!"
Verity finds this terribly amusing and begs forgiveness that he can't stop laughing. As he knows that's inappropriate to the situation he quietly absconds.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity continues, “I must confess I’m quite unfamiliar with most the ingredients you speak of but I have no doubt as to their effectiveness. Indeed I feel great! So what sort of worts and berries went into the brew, if I may …
Wyrana smiles, "There are two leafy liverworts (jagwort and the leafy bogwort), two leafless liverworts (Evolswort and the leafless bogwort), two hornworts (drakeweed and Pinmoss), sagewort, lungwort, and marshwart; as well as blueberry, cranberry, huckleberry, foxberry, red whortleberry, lowbushberry, and the elusive dragonberry."

Verity wrote:Whoa! Did you see that glowing ball of light just fly by?!” ... By the Queen, this powder is so - very - BLUE! As though it's ensorceled to carry the very essence of blue...”
Wyrana chuckles, "The light is your guide, but you cannot yet see it clearly ... and it has chosen to heighten your senses; which is why the blue looks so vivid."

Verity wrote:Verity finds this terribly amusing and begs forgiveness that he can't stop laughing. As he knows that's inappropriate to the situation he quietly absconds.
OOC: Lol.

Afterwards, while Jenna speaks with her subordinates, Mykondalar says to Verity "Follow your guide. It will lead you to profundity." Verity gets up, and leaves the lodge; apparently following the ball of light.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Alex ...

Jenna says "Alex. Dear Alex. Let us talk." She leads Alex to the furskin rug the lizardfolk have furnished the room with, and kneels down. "We would like to study the items you found; specifically the Aqueas Templar, the Fins, the Boots, and the Spear. We will also study the items the Garkondrak have stored away; hopefully they will allow this."

"I understand you have personal matters to attend to in ... wherever it is that these people call the capital. Viktor tells me it is a large city, even bigger and more impressive than Imil. We shall see; or rather, you shall. I want you to leave the items here, and travel to there. Viktor will stay here and help me study the clues. Your success here has been nothing short of monumental; perhaps you can repeat your success in the capital city, despite Viktor's failure."

"I will contact you if we have any further questions or instructions. In the meantime, I have brought you a gift. Since I am borrowing items that are obviously useful, I made this for your journey."

She hands Alex a well-crafted waterskin. Jenna's personal seal has been stamped into the side of it. "It contains the Tides of Retribution."

"I have also decided to promote you. You shall be my personal emissary in this region. Viktor and the other seekers will report to you in my absense, and you shall report to me directly."

"Unless you have some objection?"

Jenna reaches her hand toward the Aqueas Templar, "This is no ordinary Aqueas Templar?" Just before her hand touches it, a jolt of cold energy arcs from the amulet and strikes Jenna's hand; the energy coursing through her arm. "AAHARRG!" she screams, in obvious agony.

Three of the soldiers (the three other than Garret) draw their weapons, but Jenna raises her good hand to them, gesturing for them to halt. Then, she cradles her injured arm and winces. Alex notices that none of her watery defenses reacted to the attack!

"Okay. You're going to keep that one. We'll study the rest."

She stand up and looks toward the high scholars. "Oh, one more thing. Iasaac scoured the records and found something interesting about Lexis of Anin. She was from Imil. Her family moved to Anin when she was just a little girl. And she was ... is ... your ancestor."

Tides of Retribution wrote:Tides of Retribution.
These waters offer soothing relief to an ally and release terrible retribution upon an enemy.
(Level 8; 3400 gp)
Implement: Water (Orb of Imposition)
Enhancement: +2 to Attack Rolls and Damage Rolls
Critical: +2d6
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit a target with an attack using this implement. One effect affecting you or an ally within 5 squares of you ENDS. The target gains that effect with the same duration.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:"Whoa! Did you see that glowing ball of light just fly by?!”..."By the Queen, this powder is so - very - BLUE! As though it's ensorceled to carry the very essence of blue...”...Verity finds this terribly amusing and begs forgiveness that he can't stop laughing.

O.O.C. - LOL, Verity's trippin'!

I quietly walk over the Straegis.

"Cyrn por si sharaesaelaes kaer caesi mai celia, tyrol?" ("How did the waterbenders get here so quickly, cousin?")

O.O.C. - Hey Straegis, lets keep "tyrol" as "cousin".

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis says to Davin in Elven, "Ta nek fir ba given a il, se revna Alex e Viktor." (She came thru the ice and fog, I helped Alex and Viktor with the ritual.) He then turns to Alex and asks, "Is there any way that this powerful ritual could be used to send us to our destination? Or perhaps anywhere closer? We could shave precious time off our journey by using that method."
Straegis digs thru his pack and finds the tome written in Iokharic. He opens the pages as he heads to Wyrana and Mykondalar and asks, "Kindly, would you be able to tell me what this book is? I purchased it in Brackwater in hopes of somehow learning to speak and read in your tongue. The notes were made in my native tongue so I figured that would be enough, but as I read I find some parts confusing. Perhaps if either of you could give me some assistance, no matter how brief, I would be able to comprehend it more readily." He then hands the book to which ever one of them is willing to look at it.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Swifthand wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis says to Davin in Elven, "Ta nek fir ba given a il, se revna Alex e Viktor." (She came thru the ice and fog, I helped Alex and Viktor with the ritual.) He then turns to Alex and asks, "Is there any way that this powerful cantrip could be used to send us to our destination? Or perhaps anywhere closer?

Davin nods in agreement at Stragis' suggestion, speaking to the assembled Hydromancers.

"My thought exactly. We would be far ahead of the Maor," turning an eye to the mystical sigils drawn on the lodge floor, "and they would have no mundane way to track us."

-Swift
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax still makes not a sound, intently watching the room about him.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:27 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:
Malazek wrote:Alex ...

Jenna says "Alex. Dear Alex. Let us talk." She leads Alex to the furskin rug the lizardfolk have furnished the room with, and kneels down. "We would like to study the items you found; specifically the Aqueas Templar, the Fins, the Boots, and the Spear. We will also study the items the Garkondrak have stored away; hopefully they will allow this."

"Of course" Alex immediately replies, nodding as he stares into Jenna's dark blue eyes.

"I understand you have personal matters to attend to in ... wherever it is that these people call the capital. Viktor tells me it is a large city, even bigger and more impressive than Imil. We shall see; or rather, you shall. I want you to leave the items here, and travel to there. Viktor will stay here and help me study the clues. Your success here has been nothing short of monumental; perhaps you can repeat your success in the capital city, despite Viktor's failure."

"I will contact you if we have any further questions or instructions. In the meantime, I have brought you a gift. Since I am borrowing items that are obviously useful, I made this for your journey."

She hands Alex a well-crafted waterskin. Jenna's personal seal has been stamped into the side of it. "It contains the Tides of Retribution."

Alex's eyes widen, he takes the waterskin and slides his long-fingered hands along it. "Thank you, Master Jenna." When he finally peels his eyes away from the magical waterskin, Jenna continues...

"I have also decided to promote you. You shall be my personal emissary in this region. Viktor and the other seekers will report to you in my absense, and you shall report to me directly."

"Unless you have some objection?"

Alex is mute, beaming and nodding in an attempt to remain professional but Jenna can surely see through the cracks in his visage.

Jenna reaches her hand toward the Aqueas Templar, "This is no ordinary Aqueas Templar?" Just before her hand touches it, a jolt of cold energy arcs from the amulet and strikes Jenna's hand; the energy coursing through her arm. "AAHARRG!" she screams, in obvious agony.

Three of the soldiers (the three other than Garret) draw their weapons, but Jenna raises her good hand to them, gesturing for them to halt. Then, she cradles her injured arm and winces. Alex notices that none of her watery defenses reacted to the attack!

"Okay. You're going to keep that one. We'll study the rest."

She stand up and looks toward the high scholars. "Oh, one more thing. Iasaac scoured the records and found something interesting about Lexis of Anin. She was from Imil. Her family moved to Anin when she was just a little girl. And she was ... is ... your ancestor."

Alex looks away from Master Jenna at the three guards dotted around the room, and turns the amulet over in his hands. "What do you think that was? I can take the amulet off if you want, suppose you'd be allowed to touch it then? When I first identified it I discovered it contained both purification qualities-protection against poison-and some other unknown powers which I could not decipher the mana-shape for. But the pool of water we found it in was earily clear-crystal clear- in comparison to the rest of the bog. You don't suppose it is cursed?" A worried look crosses inexpirienced Alex's face, and he almost wishes he never put it on, he calms within seconds though, as he utters "It's never done that before...I also found these boots at the same site" He indicates his wavestrider boots, "But as you know these are probably the most famous of the exports of Imil, however, as you can see, the customary Imil stamp isn't upon them, so some ordinary mage probably copied the design and manashapes, as often happens it seems." Alex rolls his eyes, referring to the lack of knowledge of Imil and it's Aquamancy even close to the frost formed fortress that is the glorious city.

As the chatter continues Alex rifles through his bag to pull out the Fins of the Deepmage "I doubt they'll be much use to me in the imperial city, but they're very odd aren't they? Oh, speaking of odd. Thank you so much for the Waters of Retribution, I shall use them well..." Alex's heart is still soaring; Master Jenna's personal Emissary AND use of sacred magical water to amplify his bending. "...but I have found some waters of my own, in a pool, possibly a 'Pool of Abomination,' of course, I have no idea what this is, but they did seem mysterious." He hands her Davin's waterskin. "Perhaps you can replace the waters of retribution from out diminished collection with these."

"Regarding Lexis, I am shocked, and honoured, to have her blood pumping through my veins, I do hope she still walks the earth somewhere, and that I may meet her one day, what are the exact details of the ancestry, is it known? I know Imil's population has always been carefully monitored, infact, I'm surprised I didn't come across it myself when attempting to see if Waterbending skill was inherited. Perhaps I meerly forgot the name, are there any other records of her? What position was she in, did she perform any special research?"

After she answers Alex relaxes, and the last remnants of professional tutor-tutee communication are finally washed away, two friends are now simply chatting.

"So, Master Jenna, now I must ask you now we've finished all that, how are you? What have you been up to?" He sips the tea the Lizardman gave him and gasps, "Stone Cold" he says, holding his hand above he water until it steams gently. He sips it tentatively. "Much better."

After Jenna has told him that Alex enquires. "How are my parents and Brother? Is he still showing no sign of the gift? I do miss Jaime so..." Alex sighs. His younger brother, only 10, filled his dreams most nights. The faces of his parents less so, but he still missed them and knowing they were all safe would certainly ease the burden of being away from home on his heart. Alex hoped he could discover some way to bring the gift to fruitition in people, or what is was that gave the people of Imil their art. His brother would be disappointed for life if he was the first child born without the gift in his Fathers bloodline. Even more so now Lexis was part of their ancestry. Most children developed spontaneous bending by 12, Alex, a rare exception, had caused an explosion of icy shards from his bathtub at the early age of 8. Thinking about how it felt to have the water running between your fingers, and the flow of the magic pulsing through your body, Alex sorely hoped his brother would be lucky enough to continue the legacy that was Aquamancy within his successful family. And if he couldn't do it spontaneously, then he hoped to drag out what must be residing in little Jaime's blood.

His mood darkening, Alex continues with his tragic line of thought. "Master Jenna, I know I haven't been gone long, but has anyone else developed bending while I've been away?" Jenna shakes her head solemnly. "What about your powers? Your Mastery must be the most complete we've had in Imil for a long time, but, do you still feel the power waning? If I'm honest, here I feel the opposite. I feel like I am almost stronger every day. The water flows more quickly, freezes instantly and bursts into billowing clouds of scorching steam upon my whim. The finger movements and the concentration matter less now it seems, although, I may just be thinking that because of the amount of practise-and it has been a fair amount I don't lie-that I've had making my way around. Mostly here in the bog. The creatures I've fought-" Alex begins to tell tales of the monstrosities he's battled in the bog, and after a cup of flavoured tea from Imil he shakes his head. "Anyway I digress. Is your magic still fading? Is what I am expiriencing normal for an advancing waterbender?"

After she answers that he introduces his friends, his tongue almost tired from talking. At the insistance of Davin and Straegis he answers their question for him. "I'm afraid Imil is rather far away, and I doubt Master Jenna has a copy of the runes required to open a portal at the imperial city, and I doubt even more that she brought them with her. But I shall ask in any case."

During the course of the evening Alex also introduces Garret, a much more offensive waterbender who combines the use of mundane weapons and his water magic in ways Alex could only dream of. Alex also asks Garret how he is doing and how his family and girlfriend (the beautiful Mai) is too.

As the night wares on the other burden of his heart makes itself apparant. He asks about Trina (not her real name- Katrina- but surely both Garret, Jenna and probably everyone else from Imil will know her name), another seeker, a very attractive and skilled one whom Alex had developed a soft spot for before he left. He pray she is doing ok. Seeing Kalee the maiden thrust in the hands of an evil hag made him fear the worst. Trina is strong, but how strong?
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  magicspellz12 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis II wrote:Straegis digs thru his pack and finds the tome written in Iokharic. He opens the pages as he heads to Wyrana and Mykondalar and asks, "Kindly, would you be able to tell me what this book is? I purchased it in Brackwater in hopes of somehow learning to speak and read in your tongue. The notes were made in my native tongue so I figured that would be enough, but as I read I find some parts confusing. Perhaps if either of you could give me some assistance, no matter how brief, I would be able to comprehend it more readily." He then hands the book to which ever one of them is willing to look at it.
Mykondalar takes a look. He spends several moments skimming the first chapter. "Hmm. Hmm. Well ... patience." Several minutes pass before he responds again.

"The book holds many poems. Old Arkhosian poems. In the first sections, the author writes about love and nature. The terms are used ... ambiguously .. to create dual meanings. For example, here you cannot tell if the poet speaks of his lover's scent or of a gorgeous flower ... and here, he refers to her mother; does he mean the girl's mother, or the mother of nature? ... Come to think of it, he could be referring to the gods, as well. It is very well written."

"In the second section is the epic of the great mother, Tiamat; the Ummu-Hubur. Interesting. It begins with a verse of Io, and the birth of Tiamat. He then speaks of her sacrifice, splitting herself in two to save the world from the harbinger of obression. He goes on to speak of Thallasse (her fallen half; the salt water sea) and Apsu (the fresh water sea) and the mixing of their waters to create the first life. For pages and pages, the verses refer to her children ... these are the gate-keepers .... these are the gods of men ... these are the first men of scales ... The poem cuts off, just as her battles with the Platinum one begin."

"The last section ... hmm ... this book must be really old. These are battle poems, written during the great war. The author ... was apparently ... the trumpeteer assigned to a platoon of 500 troops. The poems are as ambiguous as ever, but I think these are records of their battles. Many of these places no longer stand ... hmm ... here is a struggle between his Commander and a Tiefling Commander. ... .... His Commander dies at the end, but the poem cuts off there."

OOC: Straegis should know who Io, Tiamat, and Bahamut are. Go to the "People, Places, and Things" thread (or Wikipedia) if you want ato read about them.
magicspellz12
magicspellz12
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 23 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next