Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

3 posters

Page 28 of 35 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 31 ... 35  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 28 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 am

Swifthand wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: I presume we still have a torch lit?

O.O.C. - There is an Everburning Torch in a loop on Hound's armour.

O.O.C. 2 - Have I been detected? (26 Stealth/ 31 Perception, standard scouting technique Davin has been using; Stealth at the edge of our light source.)

"Cyl, kes." ("Hound, guard.")

Hound stops, forcing the leashed Snorri to stop as well, and then guards the Dwarf. Davin readies his Greatbow, as the silver rune in his eye flashes with power (see invisible).

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 28 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:39 am

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: I presume we still have a torch lit?
Yes; the Everburning Torch is in a loop on Hound's armour.

Verity wrote:Verity says aloud,"Hail travelers, indeed we be nine pilgrims braving these dank corridors in service. to the gods. And who might you be?"
"Hail, pilgrims!! We mean you no harm. We are but weary travelers, ourselves! Come, share a hearty meal with us; there is safety in numbers."

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. 2 - Have I been detected? (26 Stealth/ 31 Perception, standard scouting technique Davin has been using; Stealth at the edge of our light source.)
It's tough to say; but they did say "nine" travelers.

Davin wrote:Davin readies his Greatbow, as the silver rune in his eye flashes with power (see invisible).
Nothing is made visible upon the stairs, and though Davin can see the floor below, he does not see the source of the voices. It sounds like they around the corner, up ahead; the walls between them and the party.

OOC: Bear in bind, you haven't quite reached the bottom of the steps yet; you're just approaching the bottom ... I guess I could be more specific than that: Davin is probably 30 feet (6 squares) from the bottom when he hears the voices; the party is maybe 60 feet (12 squares) from the bottom. (Davin is 6 squares ahead of the party, because the torch's radius is 5 squares).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:When was a chair ever mentioned?
OOC: Hmm? Oh. Sorry, I guess there was no chair. I dunno what I was thinking. I guess I just always assume that bound prisoners are in chairs? I blame too much bad television.

Ok, fixed it. I also deleted the subsequently related posts
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex is tightlipped, he combs a stray piece of hair behind an ear and silently follows the rest of the group. His gaze constantly affixed on Azzy.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 am

Halcyon wrote:"Safety in numbers you say, and indeed there is. Is there some danger nearby we should be ready for?" Verity questions into the darkness.

Party members hear the voice of the paladin in their minds.
"We know they cannot all see in the dark but yet bear no light. Therefore they seek to hide, for ambush or for fear. Also they await the return of an ally, this 'Madibula'.
"They knew there were nine of us from around the corner. Sounds like an arcane alarm to me, no?
"Brother Vangg, can you determine their race from their names or voices? Can you discern anything from their tone?"
Mailed boots sound off the marble steps as Verity closes the distance between himself and this new group.
"Azzy, Hound will need your help guarding the prisoner for now. That’s a good lad."

Standard: Ready beckon foe
Move: Move
Minor: Light the second everburning torch
Free: Speak

OCC1: Verity will aid Vangg if he wants to roll Dungeoneering and or Insight, both successful for +4 (aid actions are +4 for everyone for the encounter from paladin power "one heart one mind")

OCC2: If the stairs are difficult terrain Verity will double move
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC: I wonder if the one called Mandibula is a half orc, or an Orc? They have prominent mandibular canines.
------------------------------------------------

Alex see's Verity lighting another torch and contributes with a magical light of his own. A globe of water spins from a converging mist in the air at his shoulder and sheds light.

"I wouldn't suggest this was an arcane alarm spell. There is usually a noise accompanied when the intruders enter the area. And I'm sure Davin would have spotted the eye...I'd suggest this was something...else."

As Verity moves off Alex follows. He uncaps his waterskin as he moves. He readies his most dangerous maneuver.*

"If there is battle ahead, try to stay on the fringe of it. Don't let them surround you from the outset. I've got a spell in mind. It would be most unfortunate if you were caught. I'm hoping they'll be all bunched up and waiting for us...if they are hostile that is."

---------------

*DM EDIT: Which one is your most dangerous maneuver?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis also will strain his ears to try to determine if he recognizes either the names or accents of the strangers. He slowly and quietly unsheathes his sword and telepathically asks Alex to help him check the area for any magics that may have alerted the newcomers.

History(accents?): 1d20=6+15(s)=21
Arcana(detect): 1d20=10+15(s)=25
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex closes his eyes and stretches out his senses from his position closer to the bottom of the stairs.

-------------------------
Alex moves at least halfway down the stairs before he does the detection, but stays behind Verity.
Arcana: Detect magic 37 within 14 squares. +4 Bonus from Straegis = 41.

-------------------------
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 am

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax follows Verity, hammer and net at the ready.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I allow the rest to pass and keep to the back of the party, keeping them in line-of sight and replace my Greatbow for my Crossbow..

"I got you covered. Follow the wall side of the staircase down, so I can stay in the shadows."

I'll telepathically aid Alex and Straegis as the others descend.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:OCC2: If the stairs are difficult terrain Verity will double move
OOC: Stairs are not Difficult Terrain. They might be Challenging Terrain, but the DC is so low that even 1st level Characters don't have to actually roll ... tho, circumstantial modifers could change that.

Verity wrote:"Safety in numbers you say, and indeed there is. Is there some danger nearby we should be ready for?" Verity questions into the darkness.
"Why yes! This region, below the Undermountain Road, is very dangerous ... but one can find friends in the most unexpected places."

Verity wrote:Mailed boots sound off the marble steps as Verity closes the distance between himself and this new group.
Alex wrote:As Verity moves off Alex follows. He uncaps his waterskin as he moves. He readies his most dangerous maneuver.
Mordax wrote:Mordax follows Verity, hammer and net at the ready.
The three humans climb down the stairs, ready for whatever awaits them at the bottom of the stairs.

Verity wrote:OCC1: Verity will aid Vangg if he wants to roll Dungeoneering and or Insight, both successful for +4 (aid actions are +4 for everyone for the encounter from paladin power "one heart one mind")
Aiding is a Standard Action. So is Readying an Action. Moving down the stairs is a Move action. So, Verity should Aid and Move on the first round (to halfway down the stairs) and then Move and Ready on the second (so his readied action will be be ready when he at the bottom of the steps).

Straegis wrote:Straegis ... telepathically asks Alex to help him check the area for any magics that may have alerted the newcomers.
Arcana(detect): 1d20=10+15(s)=29
Alex wrote:Alex closes his eyes and stretches out his senses from his position closer to the bottom of the stairs.
Arcana: Detect magic 41 within 14 squares.
Both Straegis and Alex begin concentrating, attempting to sense the presence of magic; this might take awhile.

Sensing magic takes an entire minute. Is Alex going to continue on down the stairs as Verity does? Or is he going to stay half-way down the steps detecting magic?.

Straegis wrote:Straegis also will strain his ears to try to determine if he recognizes either the names or accents of the strangers.
History(accents?): 1d20=6+15(s)=21
Straegis doesn't recognize any of the names on their own, but "Kersh" is a relatively common name among Ogres. He does not recognize any of the accents, but the faintest of the voices seems Eladrinish, or maybe Elvish.

OOC: Juugug will aid Vangg with any skills rolls the Dwarf makes; Insight, Duneoneering, whatever.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:42 am

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg tries to discern whatever he can.

Insight: 31

Dungeoneering: 27

(Without aid Modifiers)

Rolls
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:As he pauses on the stairs the sound of footsteps continues. He rolls his eyes and opens them, following Verity down the stairs, fingers tingling with residual magic detection.
It seems I managed to find my own gloves in that short amount of time.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Vangg wrote:Vangg tries to discern whatever he can.
Insight: 35
Vangg detects hints of deciet and malice in the voice of the one who invited y'all to share camp; they probably intend to do you harm.

Vangg wrote:Dungeoneering: 35
Down here, those clicking sounds could belong to a number of different creatures, but the most nefarious of them would be the Umber Hulks; semi-intelligent insect-like giants who burrow through solid stone with their claws. Let's hope it's not one of them. (Hmm. Mandibula sounds like a fitting pet name for such a beast).

Assuming Straegis guessed right about the first two voices: Vangg knows that neither Ogres nor Elves/Eladrin are native to the subterranean realm.

The third voice remains a mystery. If indeed this group is comprised of an Umber Hulk, and Ogre, and Elf, and someone else ... then something terrible indeed must have brought them together; maybe the third one is their charismatic leader?

Vangg wrote:Insight: 35
Considering the issue further, Vangg decides it's very unlikely that the third voice is their leader. He didn't speak to them with the tone of authority. Something (or somebody) is missing here.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:As Verity, Alex, and Mordax reach the bottom, they are greeted from around the corner (to the left) by a monstrous crew.

Standing at the forefront, is an ebon-skinned elf with snow-white hair worn in a braid. Dressed head-to-toe in black scale armor, the "elf" carries a matched set of blades; one long, one short.

Behind him stands an enormous Ogre, dressed only in worn out hides. He carries the most riduculously heavy flail you have ever seen. A huge smile dawns upon his face, as the light eleviates his previous blindness.

On either side of the Ogre, two even stranger beings exist. The first, is a giant insect-like creature, than can only be one of the Umber Hulks Vangg was worried about. Chitinous armor covers its entire body, as it stares down on you with large bug-like eyes; it's mandibles twitching in excitement.

The last is stranger yet. It's a woman with bulky muscles, scarred grey skin, and matted black hair. But that's not the strange part: she has no eyes! Not even eye sockets, as blank skin seems stretched over the place where her eyes should be. Dressed in a coarse fabric, and primitive stone axe hangs across her back.

"Come, join us!" says the Elf.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am

Swifthand wrote:Sticking to the shadows and following behind, I crouch low, taking a bead on the group with my Crossbow.

"If it comes to battle, who is our first target? The elf?"

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Telepathically Verity agrees “The elf it is then, Davin.
“But something’s amiss. Where’s their leader?”

The Death Knight continues that train of thought aloud. “By the Queen! Thine assortment be more motley than we.”
“It seems you have us at a disadvantage: You know something of our purpose here, but what of you? What brings your unlikely group together, if I may inquire?”

Verity then steps off the stairs and positions to best advantage.

Free: Speak
Move: Tactically, avoiding the range of possible AoEs aimed at the enemies, as Alex requested.
Standard: Ready Beckon Foe targeting the “elf” to be triggered by any enemy aggression
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex's eyes fall upon the sword wielding elf, then the rest of the group. He scrutinizes each of them.

Alex gulps and stands rooted firmly behind Verity and Mordax, although they offer some protection, Alex doesn't like these odds. Suspecting foul play, he is tempted to begin to search for magic again. Even a concealed creature would unlikely be able to also conceal the magical aura's of anything they carry.

His mind is distracted from his ruminations over Azzy, as his eyes devour these interesting specimens. He shuffles backwards -without the courage of Verity or Mordax -or the stamina to fend off even a single blow from the Ogre's ridiculus flail.

"What are-" He begins to mutter to himself as he examines the eyeless lady, but realises her hearing or some supernatural ability probably compensates for her lack of vision, and his mouth wisely stops there.

------------
Arcana +18; Nature +12. I dunno what rolls I need to make but can I have information about these creatures races? Especially the Eyeless Lady.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“It seems you have us at a disadvantage: You know something of our purpose here, but what of you? What brings your unlikely group together, if I may inquire?”
"But we know nothing of your purpose -- we seek only refuge from the horrors abound in these parts -- but since you bring it up, what IS your purpose? A quest of epic proportions? Do tell!"

Alex wrote:his eyes devour these interesting specimens. He begins ... realises her hearing or some supernatural ability probably compensates for her lack of vision, and his mouth wisely stops there.
Arcana 28; Nature 22 ... can I have information about these creatures races? Especially the Eyeless Lady.
Judging by what Vangg and Straegis thought, and now SEEING it, Alex is convinced that the ebon-skinned Elf is, in fact, a Drow; he knows a little something of them from his magical studies.

The Ogre is an Ogre. He's bigger than Alex imagined; but still, Ogres are fairly simple (albiet deadly) beings. Right?

The giant insectoid is an Umber Hulk. Alex has heard of them, too. Apparently, merely gazing at one can prove fatal.

Alex is convinced that the eyeless lady is a Grimlock. Grimlocks are a sightless servitor race, commonly found as thralls to smarter and more powerful monsters. Perhaps the whole group is under some sort of geas or mind control? But if tales are true, their other senses are indeed keen; keener than their missing sight might have been.
___

Between Vangg, Alex, and Straegis, they come up with the following ...

Nature check. DC 15: Grimlocks are murderous brutes that prefer raw, fresh meat—preferably human. Having evolved into eyeless creatures, they rely on blindsight to detect enemies.

Type/Keywords: Medium Natural Humanoid, Blind (Skirmisher)
Powers: Offensive Shift, Termorsense, Blindsight
Resistances: Immunity to Gaze attacks

Nature check. DC 15: Ogres often make their lairs in thinly settled borderlands— places where they can find homesteads to pillage and travelers to waylay, but wild enough to discourage pursuit. They favor desolate hills and dark forests. Left to their own devices, ogres live in small hunter-gatherer bands that separate or move on when they use up the easily available food sources of an area. They prefer pillage and theft to actual hunting or gathering.

DC 20: Ogres are lazy and surly creatures, but powerful masters sometimes put them to work as menial laborers. The brightest ogres sometimes seek out work as mercenaries, and might accumulate arms and armor far better than those of the typical ogre. They like big weapons that make good use of their size and strength—greataxes, morningstars, or heavy flails.

Type/Keywords: Large Natural Humanoid (Elite Brute)
Powers: Heavy Flail, Flail Hurricane
Resistances: +2 Saves?

Dungeoneering or Nature DC 20: Umber hulks use their thick claws to hew passages through earth and stone. Many deep caverns in the Underdark are linked together by umber hulk tunnels.

Arcana or Nature DC 25: An umber hulk’s gaze causes confusion among its enemies, making them wander in a daze or, in the case of shadow hulks, attack their friends.

Type/Keywords: Large Natural Magical Beast (Elite Soldier)
Powers: Grabbing Double Attack, Confusing Gaze
Resistances: +2 Saves

DC 20: Drow raid the surface as well as other Underdark societies for plunder and slaves. They conquer the weak and form tenuous alliances with creatures powerful enough to stand against them.

DC 25: Drow live in a matriarchal theocracy with rules and customs strictly enforced by the priests of Lolth. Male drow can’t serve as clergy and are often treated as secondclass citizens, but even they exercise power based on their station and the opportunities handed to them.

Type/Keywords: Medium Fey Humanoid (Elite Skirmisher)
Powers: Varies (Blade Mastery, Excruciating Stab, Whirling Ripsote, Cloud of Darkness, Whirlwind Attack)?
Resistances: +2 Saves?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis eyes up the motley crew before him trying to see if any of them wear any identifying marks or insignias. He does his best to look at their surroundings, taking special note of any places to hide or dodge. He moves slowly but deliberately toward the front of the group, tho not all the way to the front, he wants to place himself between the strangers and Vangg, Azzy and our prisoner. Telepathically he asks Davin if there is anyone coming behind them.

History(insignias, etc.): 1d20=11+15(s)=26
Perception(surroundings): 1d20=7+4(half-lvl)=11

O.O.C.: Let me know if I need more rolls for multiple markings. Are they on a landing, or did we meet them mid staircase?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 am

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Are they on a landing, or did we meet them mid staircase?
OOC: They are in the hallway that was at the very bottom of the stairs.

Straegis wrote:He does his best to look at their surroundings, taking special note of any places to hide or dodge.
Perception(surroundings): 1d20=7+4(half-lvl)=11
The only light in the whole place is coming from your torches, so you're all surrounded by total darkness. That means, there's all kinds of places to hide (Straegis's low-light vision allows him to see clearly in dim light, but not in total darkness).

Straegis wrote:Straegis eyes up the motley crew before him trying to see if any of them wear any identifying marks or insignias.
History(insignias, etc.): 1d20=11+15(s)=26
None of the motley crew is wearing any sort of insignia, though the pommels of the Drow's weapons bear the likeness of a tauric spider woman. Straegis knows this to be the image of Lolth, Queen of the Demon Web Pits.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Sticking to the shadows and following behind, I crouch low, taking a bead on the group with my Crossbow.
OOC: Is Davin still on the steps? Or is he slipping around the edge of the torch light and into the darkness?
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Map?
DM EDIT: Don't have it ready yet. Hopefully soon
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:Sticking to the shadows and following behind, I crouch low, taking a bead on the group with my Crossbow.
OOC: Is Davin still on the steps? Or is he slipping around the edge of the torch light and into the darkness?

Davin: HP 66/66; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=7/8, SV:16, Action Points=0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 105/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 SV:26, Action Points=1

Move - Get into position, Stealth, Perception checks
Minor - Choose Drow as my Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Readied Action, Nimble Strike on Drow
Free - When Standard triggers, activate Hemingr's Accuracy

Stealth=36
Perception=32

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Davin has his back to the right side stairwall, bottom stair, crouching, Crossbow trained on the Drow. I will describe what I see telepathically to the others. Also, I am trying to stay well away from the Umber Hulk, not wanting to be discovered by his Tremorsense.

O.O.C. - "Mother - do you have him?" "Yes, I have him."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:45 am

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:OOC: Map?
DM EDIT: Don't have it ready yet. Hopefully soon
This is what most of the party sees (Note: the hall is cluttered with old boxes, busted statues, fallen rubble, and other debris) ...
Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 28 Pq27K1y0

Taking angles angles and uber-vibrancy into consideration, this is what Davin sees ...
Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed" - Page 28 Pq27KgvS
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:45 am

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Does Alex have Darkvision because I am in LoS, or does me hiding negate it?

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 35 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 31 ... 35  Next