Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 24 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Malazek wrote:
Sundown wrote:Kardan spends most of the day taking teaching anyone of the lizardfolk some manuevers with a spear or pole type weapons until hopefully intimidating one of the locals to a friendly fight so he can put his face in the mud and tail in the air.
Because of the time of day, Kardan finds very few able-bodied opponents. The hunters are all out hunting; the village is full of the children and the elderly, the sick and the feeble.

He does, however, stumble across a dozen adolescents spear-fighting with practice spears. He watches for a few minutes before they invite him to join them. He easily defeats the first of them. Then, the second. The third. fourth. fifth. Countless numbers of them fall before his superior technique, until eventually they get the biggest and brightest of them.

But Kardan schools him, as well.

Before long, the crowd has grown to two dozen, curious to witness Kardan's superior spear-fighting skills. And eager to learn it.

Morning rolls into the afternoon; the after noon into evening. Around dinner time, some of the children run off to their homes; soon to be replaced by adults looking for the others.

The warriors among them watch with smug arrogance. For a few minutes. Soon, they too are drawn in by the obvious effectiveness of the Voellis School of Spearmanship. They too watch, study, and eventually spar.

But even the adults stand little chance ... until Kardan begins to tire; his scratches and bruises beginning to wear him down. Plus, he's hungry. He's been sparring all day.

Just when he's ready to call it a day, the biggest, most scarred lizardman he's ever seen wanders into the pit and lifts the heaviest practice spear in the place.

"Kawmawayaga!" he growls.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 24 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Sundown wrote:"Great Kord!" Kardan exclaims when he see's the size and looks of the warrior. "Uh , i guess i have one more in me." Kardan does a few stretches and gets in stance.

O.O.C. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U
Swifthand wrote:

O.O.C. - Lol, is that music playing as you approach the lizardman?

-Swift
Sundown wrote:O.O.C. Yep , lol , or while we fight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82yZXXpxY8
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: LOL
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:13 pm

Swifthand wrote:I spend a healing surge to max me back out.

Seeing that the hunters are alright, I smile while rushing over to join them. Barely able to contain my excitement from the thrill of the battle, I clap them on the back in congratulations.

"What a hunt, Kradag! Well done all! We should make a sled to drag the beast back to the village. Do you think it had any treasure in its lair?"

Passive Nature=30 to create a makeshift sled/litter to drag the hydra back to the village.

I hope that Kradag will volunteer to search the beasts lair in the pool.

After tying the beast to the litter, I and the hunters drag the beasts corpse back, triumphant.

I also recover what arrows I can.

25 arrows fired, 12 recovered

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:Seeing that the hunters are alright, I smile while rushing over to join them. Barely able to contain my excitement from the thrill of the battle, I clap them on the back in congratulations.
"You did great, good hunter. We mighty glad you to be here! Haha!" Kradag responds, and passes you his drinking horn (which contains some kinda of thick beverage; which feels like honey but tastes like mead.

Swifthand wrote: "What a hunt, Kradag! Well done all! We should make a sled to drag the beast back to the village. Do you think it had any treasure in its lair?"
Gadan gaa, dranga ad." Kradag says to the others, who dive into the water.
"Difficult to be getting the beast out; very heavy. We try knots first. Here, set stakes with me."
Kradag pulls half a dozen stakes from his pack, and two mallets.
He starts hammering them into the ground, several yards away.

Swifthand wrote:Passive Nature=30 to create a makeshift sled/litter to drag the hydra back to the village.
After the stakes are secure, Kradag helps you with the sled. it's a good sled, more than capable of getting the job done. Kradag seems concerned, however, that his men aren't back yet.

Just when he is about to go in after them, they come up; each with ropes. Excitedly, they stammer on, explaining to Kradag what took them so long. The discussion lasts several minutes.

As Kradag and the Lizardfolk tie special "slipper knots" around each stake, Kradag explains ... "No easy treasure, my friend, but the beast lived in a deep, deep hole. Dakan and the others tell it is a quarry from ancient days. Later, we and more return to see what hard treasure there be to find."

Pulling on the ropes, the five of you eventually tackle the task at hand (see what I did there) and pull the corpse of the Bog Hydra from the quarry. Loading it on the sled is no easy matter, either, but you do eventually manage to do it.

Swifthand wrote:After tying the beast to the litter, I and the hunters drag the beasts corpse back, triumphant.
Pulling the sled is still difficult, because the hydra is SO heavy; plus, you're in a swamp, so solid footing is just not available. All in all, getting the monster from the bottom of the quarry to the village takes many hours.

It is dusk by the time you see the village.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Sundown wrote:"Great Kord!" Kardan exclaims when he see's the size and looks of the warrior. "Uh , i guess i have one more in me." Kardan does a few stretches and gets in stance.
I know Sundown has been busy lately, so I think taking the time to roll and post a combat over the phone is unlikely.
So, I went with plan B and rolled it out myself. I hope that's acceptable ...

The two spearman circle each other in the field, performing a deadly dance of spear readiness ... and then, suddenly, they lunge at each other with their weapons ...

Bout with the Bruiser wrote:The Bruiser's Initiative is 12.
Kardan's Initiative is 8

All of the following damage is "supposed" damage. Both combatants understand warfare enough to know how injured they would be if they were using real damage; these are practice weapon though, so less real damage is being delivered ...

The bruiser thrusts his giant spear at Kardan. (12 Misses).

Realizing the bruiser is faster than he is, Kardan uses SSS. (18 attack; 15 damage).
Spending an AP: Kardan quickly follows with APT. (11 misses; Elf Acc 22; 11 damage)

Next Round ...

The bruiser thrusts his giant spear at Kardan. (23 hits, 13 damage).
Kardan activates his armor's cursing properties.

Kardan also knows he can't take two more of those, so he uses CbS. (22 hits, 14 damage; Kardan regains 6 hp)

Next Round ...

Desperately, the brusier rushes Kardan again. (11 misses)

Seeing victory at hand, Kardan uses RS. (12 misses; 4 damage)

The bruiser would be bloodied, if this fight was real
Knowing he was defeated, the Bruiser throws his spear to the ground. The silent crowd of onlookers stares on, unable to comprehend what they just saw. But slowly, they begin to cheer, until the village is filled with a cacophony of glorious applause.

"Gadyad," the warrior admits, and shuffles away with his head down.
The adolescents run over to you, screaming "Akma! Akma!" in unison.

Kardan's injuries are mild; nothing a night's rest can't fix.
After all day of fighting, Kardan is down to 26 HPs.

Everyone gets 83 XPs (2976 total) ...

What's next Kardan? Still going to teach the kids a few basics? Or no?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity attempts to understand what they're getting at. He tries to engage them in a bit of sign language / charades to help the process. In particular he points to his water skin, thinking that may be "wa wa"
(Insight 18 + 2 wis = 20)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Malazek wrote:The huntress steps forward and takes Verity's hand, guiding him to the side of the old woman's bed. Then, shen she pushes down on his shoudler, trying to get him to kneel besides the old woman.

The old woman gentlty places her talon to Verity's cheek.
<cough, cough> "Ank ya, krangar. Wayanam?"
The old woman points to her self, and says "Wyrana."
And then, she repeats "Wayanam?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: Due to a hurricane attacking his neighborhood, 151 might not be back for awhile.
Let's hope it misses him, though. Or has mercy. Ok?
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - That sucks. I'll be pulling for him.

-Swift
Halcyon wrote:OCC: Here's hoping all they get out of that hurricane is a cool story.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Halcyon wrote:The huntress wrote:
Malazek wrote:The huntress steps forward and takes Verity's hand, guiding him to the side of the old woman's bed. Then, shen she pushes down on his shoudler, trying to get him to kneel besides the old woman.
Verity will kneel beside the old woman
The old lizardwoman wrote:
Malazek wrote:The old woman gentlty places her talon to Verity's cheek.
<cough> "Ank ya, krangar. Wayanam?"
The old woman points to her self, and says "Wyrana."
And then, she repeats "Wayanam?"

He replies "Minam Verity," and then pointing at himself, " Verity Servinus".
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Sometime midway, I strip bare chested and stow my armour and tunic in my pack, overcome by the humidity.

I continue to drag the sled until we finally coming to the village. Leaving the sled, I go to whatever water basin or pool the lizardmen use and dunk myself in, dousing myself in the cool water.

Smiling and proud, I help Kradag and the others dress the Bog Hydra. After, I ask both Vangg and Alex if any parts of the beast will aid them in any of their rituals, knowing that the beast is rare and may have properties that are unknown to me.

"There is also something of value in the beasts lair! It's den is deep within a sunken pool, but perhaps we can get to it together..."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Halcyon wrote:He replies "Minam Verity," and then pointing at himself, " Verity Servinus".
"Varyty. Varyty Sarvynas. Ankya. Mynam Wyrana." <cough, cough> "Y wanagy amdyng," she says, gesturing to a small basket on the shelf in the corner.

Wide eyed, the young huntress retrieves the basket and brings it over to you.
The old lady says "Abanyt. Gaaead."
Removing the lid from the basket, Verity finds a elaborate, well-polished, decorative wooden mask.
"Aykyt. Gaaead. Ywan yata a yt."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Halcyon wrote:Malazek wrote:
Malazek wrote:Wide eyed, the young huntress retrieves the basket and brings it over to you.
The old lady says "Abanyt. Gaaead."
Removing the lid from the basket, Verity finds a elaborate, well-polished, decorative wooden mask.
"Aykyt. Gaaead. Ywan yata a yt."

Verity slowly lifts the mask to his face and if the lizardwoman does not protest, he binds it there.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Malazek wrote:When Davin and Kradag and the other finally reach the village, the lizardfolk are speechless for several minutes; wide-eyed and awe-stricken, the merely watch the corpse of the big hydra as it is dragged into the village.

"Wyv kad daDagYdra!" Kradag shouts, and the village erupts into cheers. Several other hunters run over, and help the drag it to the center of the village, where Davin and Kradag and the rest of the crew begin to clean and dress the skin and meat.

We shall eat a feast to be celebrating our hunt! Go, grab your friends." Kradag says to Davin, when all the dirty work is done. The other villagers are already beginning to prepare the meat. It has been a grand evening," he adds.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Malazek wrote:By this point ... Vangg, Alex, and Straegis are done with the rituals, and the children have been summoned to the village square for chores. Kardan arrives back at the lodge just before Davin does.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity slowly lifts the mask to his face and if the lizardwoman does not protest, he binds it there.
The old woman does not object, and in fact seems happy that you've done it.
Her and the huntress both smile and wave farewell.

Mask of the Dragon
This wooden faceplate vaguely resembles a dragon.
Item Slot: Head
Property: You gain a +2 item bonus to Diplomacy and Heal checks.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex hurries to find the mystic, looking in the reflection of a wash basin to see the runes on his head dissolving rapidly.

"Thank you for everything, the spell will loose effect now. We shall stay 1 more night and then leave for Brackwater, returning as soon as possible, but I do not know how long that will be, anything could happen in Brackwater. When I do return I shall bring as much beef as I can, and whilst I am there I shall spread word of your tribe's generosity and the peace. I cannot begin to...Ah...it's faded." Alex looks at the Lizardman, a smile on his face, and offers his hand.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity emerges from the hut at the outskirts of the village and makes his way back to the lodge. When he sees the source of all the commotion his eyes widen with surprise. “Truly the Queen favors the bold! A feast fit for royalty you’ve brought this village, brave hunters. The bounty of a daring tale I’m sure, and one that shall be remembered in fireside tales for years to come,” he exclaims. “A very fine send-off we shall have this night.”
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Can Alex or Vangg use any of the Hydra parts (blood, eyes, bile, ect.) in their rituals?

That night, before retiring, I fashion myself a Hydra tooth necklace.

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:Alex looks at the Lizardman, a smile on his face, and offers his hand.
Mykondalar shakes Alex's hand with enthusiasm.

Halcyon wrote:Verity emerges from the hut at the outskirts of the village and makes his way back to the lodge. When he sees the source of all the commotion his eyes widen with surprise. “Truly the Queen favors the bold! A feast fit for royalty you’ve brought this village, brave hunters. The bounty of a daring tale I’m sure, and one that shall be remembered in fireside tales for years to come,” he exclaims. “A very fine send-off we shall have this night.”
Verity reaches the lodge just as Davin and the others are emerging from it.
Time for a feast.

With the party re-united, the entire village turns out to give the heroes a celebratory feast ... the hydra steaks and kabobs are accompanied by huge bowls of those spotted truffles everyone liked so much, a mixture of greens and mussels, and the same milky beverage as before. It all looks and smells delicious.

Sadly, looks can be decieving.
Bog hydra does NOT taste good. Not even a little.

Oh well, killing it was still awesome! It was a monumental task that will make the Malbog safer for many generations.

Digging into truffles, mussels, and greens and enjoying the villagers' dances and games, everybody has a great time. By the time you make it back to the lodge, you are dead tired (and if you drank any of the milky stuff, rather intoxicated, as well).

Sometime in the wee hours of the morning, everybody is fast asleep.
Except Straegis, who meditates and keeps watch.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Malazek wrote:You all sleep deeply, and morning comes quickly. A breakfast of yams and eggs are waiting for you when you awake. The village is peaceful and quiet.

Emerging from the cabin, your wagon waiting for you in front of the lodge. The horses are already harnssed, and the rolled blankets with your weapons in them are stowed in the back.

Kradag, Mykondalar, and Wyrana are all waiting by the wagon to say good bye.

Kradag clasps Davin on the shoudler and says "Come back and hunt with our side, friend!"

Mykondalar says I used my new ritual this morning, so that I might say good-bye to all of you." Stepping over to Alex, he hands him a smaller rolled blanket, and adds "We are akin, you and I. Take this, I want you to have it. It belongs to your people as much as it belongs to mine (and will likely be of more use to you, than me)." Examing the contents of the roll, Alex finds the Fins of the Deepmage he saw two nights ago.

Standing near the mystic, Wyrana says "Ank Varyty! Ivyl muk dadar now."

Kradag translaters "She say thanks Verity. She feels much better now. And I thank you, too, for treated my aunt's illness."

The mystic adds "All of you are welcome back at any time. In fact, I look forward to your return (and not just because beef tastes better than hydra)." He laughs.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex smiles and bows, "I am glad to see the sharing of knowledge has helped both of us." He says, refering to the Lizardman's speech. "The Village of Garkondrak will be known to be safe. I assure you of that, and I'm sure we will be returning, it seems each member of our band has found a place for this village in some part of their heart." Alex's eyes scrutinise each member of the group, falling with a rather dissapointed gaze on Straegis. He raises his eyebrows and smirks, turning once more to the Lizardman. "I shall put the Fins of the Deepmage to good use, but, would you not rather keep them for the moment? Your hunters could use them to investigate the deep lair of the Hydra?"

If Mykondalar does not want the fins of the deepmage, he will stow them in his pack, then he shakes his hand again, grasping the lizardmans claw in his hand and nodding to his fellows, before making his way with the rest of the group to the wagon.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Shaking Kradag's claw warmly, I say, "I will be happy to, my friend."

Without another word, I grab my bow, jump up into the front of the wagon, grasp the reins, and wait for the others to join me, oiling my bow down as I do.

Next stop - Brackwater....

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"... would you not rather keep them for the moment? Your hunters could use them to investigate the deep lair of the Hydra?"
Thank you, but no, you take them. The people of this village are very capable swimmers. They should be able to investigate the hydra's lair, even without the use of magic."

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Can Alex or Vangg use any of the Hydra parts (blood, eyes, bile, ect.) in their rituals?
Perhaps, yeah.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:To Wyrana Verity answers "I am but an emissary. It is the Lady Fate who has lifted your burden of illness, and She who is deserving of your thanks. Peace be with ye, in this life and the next."
Then he addresses the three lizardfolk; "Children of Ekanarad - though our time in your village was short, we have learned and lived much these past days. When first Fate set our paths to cross, the balance could have tipped for well or for woe, and it gladdens our hearts that we leave here as friends."
He then clasps hands with each of them in turn.
(Diplomacy take 10 +10 Skill, +2 Mask = 22+ the they love the party bonus)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Everyone add 300 XPs for your efforts in the village. Befriending the tribe was a major quest because it required a length period of time, and the efforts of several characters (Davin with Kradag and the hunters; Verity with Wyrana and the huntress; Kardan with the bruiser and the children; and everyone else with Mykondalar). Even though there were few difficult rolls, the role-playing involved was just as crucial.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

The heroes trudge through the swamp, ever alert and ready for battle. But the day's ride is surprisingly uneventful. Perhaps this a sign of good things to come? Three of the bog's infamous terror's were killed by your hands. Though it's still not "safe" per se, the bog is atleast that much less dangerous. Fortune offers it's thanks with a safe an easy wagon ride to home.

The sun is brighter than usual, too, which helps to dry out some of your soggy gear. And despite the warmth, there aren't too many bugs today. With careful rationing, you even manage to stretch Agatha's supplies the rest of the journey.

Just before lunch, you see the tree tops of the Wyver Woodland come into view; and an hour later, the ridge that seperates it from the Mallbog. Following the exact path by which you left, the wagon heads right toward the earth ramp that connects the swamp trail to the imperial road.

"Look!" Kalee says, pointing to one of the distant docks that hang over the water. "That's my little brother there, doing laundry! What is that with him? A dog? We got a new dog?"

The kid pays no attention to the roving the waon, but the dog does bark once or twice.

The wagon ascends the ramp, and soon connects to the imperial road. Turning toward the farmhouse where you saw the kid, the wagon is soon off the road again, and pulling up the causeway. As the wagon comes to a stop, a weatherworn man and several children burst from the front door and run to the wagon. "Kalee! Oh, we thought we'd lost you! Kalee!"

The entire family is frozen in an heartfelt embrace for several minutes, as the father tries to hide the tears of joy running down his face. (That's plenty of time for the party to climb off the wagon).

A quarter of an hour later, Kalee says "Father, these are the nice people who saved me." Her father steps over to each one of you individually. He extends a hand of gratitude, but overcome with happiness, he embraces each one of you. Several times. "Thank you! Thank you! You've no idear how much this means t'me. Thank you! I dunno how I could ever repay such a thing, but let me start by offerin' y'all a decent meal and some warm beds. A pittance, I know. But if I can ever do anything for you, just let me know! Oh, thank you!"

Whispering to his eldest son, he says "Go tell the neighbors she's home and safe. Run boy." The boy takes off runnning.

"Come in, come in. My name is Yon. You must tell me how y'all found her, while I prepare supper."
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Add abother 300 XPs for the Major Quest: Get Kalee Home (This was also a major quest).

That brings everyone to 3576
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next