Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 25 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:21 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC- Sorry guys. I'm moving to Univeristy...a bloody new one far far away from my old one. Grr. I won't be on the internet for a while, so, Alex is goign to be dull eyed for a while! I'm not quitting I just know it takes a while to get on the inernet. I'm pretty sure the Library will have internet though, and I will attempt to post anytime I can! Sorry guys! Keep playing!
Swifthand wrote:Gah! We will miss ya while you're gone, Magic, hold down the fort until you get back, and hope for your quick return!

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies" - Page 25 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Halcyon wrote:To the father "Your daughter handled her ordeal admirably sir, she's a brave girl. I see introductions are in order: the huntsman here is Davin, the mystic Alex, the warriors Stagis II and Kardan and the honorable Cleric of the Raven Queen Woe Vangg is the dwarf. I am Sir Verity Servinus of the Brackwater Servinus' and we would be honored to share your table, though no thanks are needed. We simply did what any of the good folk of this town would do with one of our own in danger."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Malazek wrote:Hopefully Alex and/or Vangg will be back sooner than expected.
Both will be missed in the meantime

Verity wrote::Your daughter handled her ordeal admirably sir, she's a brave girl. I see introductions are in order: the huntsman here is Davin, the mystic Alex, the warriors Stagis II and Kardan and the honorable Cleric of the Raven Queen Woe Vangg is the dwarf. I am Sir Verity Servinus of the Brackwater Servinus' and we would be honored to share your table, though no thanks are needed. We simply did what any of the good folk of this town would do with one of our own in danger."
"Davin, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"Alex, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"Straegis, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"Kardan, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"WoeVangg, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"Verity, pleased t'meet you. And thank you."
"Thank y'all so very much! Come on in!"

"Kalee, do you want to go get cleaned up? You may.
Boys, help me prepare dinner. Yonnie: go drag my ale up from the cellar; all of it. Kalvin, Yavin; go grab some peas and beans from the silo. I'm going to grab some bread; both kinds. And maybe some of the salted pork fat. Move."

"Come on it. I should have dinner ready in a jiff. While I'm cooking, you can tell me about your adventures!
I'm sure they're grand and exciting!!"

As he cooks (and as you talk), the neighbors slowly spill in, bringing onions, cabbage, garlic, nuts, berries, leeks, spinach, parsley, eggs, and a single chicken with them. They make their introductions between stories, and try hard not to interupt; they seem friendly, but there are just too many neighbors to remember all of their names. The youngest sone (Yosef) comes back when the neighbors do.

Eventually, Kalee returns, all cleaned up and wearing a little pink dress. She tries to help her father in the kitchen, but he won't let her. "You just got back! Go sit with your friends. Relax. Enjoy yourself."

The eldest kid sets a nearly-full keg of the farmer's ale beside you, and brings several rye and barley rolls as appetizers. The keg is soon joined by others, brought in by the neighbors.
_____ _____ _____ _____ _____

OOC: As he cooks, feel free to do a little story-telling or bragging. It's a common custom in the area, especially for travellers. Feel free to drop some Bluff and Diplomacy rolls as you do (or any other roll you feel is appropriate). If your segment of the tale is long, you might want to drop two. You have a +2 circumstance bonus to impress their neighbors, and the DC is only 15; but with mostly 20s the tale will be that much more impressive. (As long as some of you participate, I will count this as a skill challenge. You need eight successes before three failures. If you pass the challenge, you will gain a heroic reputation; if you fail, they won't be so impressed ... plus XPs).

NOTE: This is probably the last encounter of Chapter One.
Chapter Two starts when the characters wake up in the morning
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Easily more comfortable alone and in the wilds surrounding Brackwater than in this small, crowded cottage, I try to find a corner to disappear into - unsuccessfully. Before long, the prodding by the locals overcome my lone wolf tendencies, and I begin to speak in a low voice.

"The denizens and beasts of the Malbog are varied and dangerous, though we found friends among them as well. My companions and I simply performed the job we were hired for, no more, no less. The fact that the 'Bog is less one hag, several trolls, a bog hydra, and Chopper Jr. were just circumstantial benefits. Saving the fair Kalee, as well - a bit of luck, that was, on both our parts, though certainly to Kalee's benefit."

"If you will all excuse me, I need some fresh air outside."

I take my tin mug, still full of ale, and step out into the front yard.

Diplomacy check=20

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Sundown wrote:Kardan drinks quite abit of ale and tells the story of the Hag and the saving of Kaylee . Since he only killed a bird , they were not very impressed it seems.

Diplomacy = 12
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:23 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"I hail from a far away place, where the snow crunches underfoot all year round..."

Alex tells of his journey here, his powers (giving a small demonstration) and his discoveries. He also includes the friendliness of the Lizardman tribe and that they may have been instrumental in getting Kalee back safe (Bluff).

----------
Bluff and Diplomacy, but you'll need to roll for me. I'm in the Library at the moment but I don't often get the chance. Internet should be up in about a week, but it could be more. The rolls are just pure d20.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Vangg rolled terrible ...

"Tales ye ear seek, Yen? Pleased ta meet ye, Yen. Me tells ye da tale o' da last week o' nights apass'd."

Vangg folds his arms and leans back.

"Dere me be, meanderin' da wood searchin' abouts fer trolls an' what nots ta slay fer braggin' speaks ... den da bedamned skies opens an' pours outs rains dat not 'ave fell whence ages be past. Den me sees an tornado dues east an' tornado creepin' forth westerly! Me 'ightails me 'ide inta da Wild Woods ... me fights down da bears an' crocagators 'til me sees da bedamned Hag Stew Inn. Me ask da ol' lady dat owns da place ... she be an 'ag mind ye ... an' da 'ag giveth me's an room. Mind ye, da 'ag acause da tornadoes an' rains ta bring da wearies inta da inns fer 'er sick stew o' boilin' flesh fetish fantasies an' what nots! Me 'ad an 'unch dat amisshaps be goin' 'rounds da bedamned Stewpot Hag Inn, an' 'ighbeholds an dark assassin slip me da note dat wordspeak dis ... 'Bewares da 'ags dat bring da weathers an' witcheries an' 'ave secrets an' boils da peoples in stews!' ... me gets outta dat inn quicks!"

Vangg leans forward and his eyes widen slightly, "Den me's meet da crew as ye see w' ye eyes nows. We escaped da Inn 'ags clutches an' pick up an good 'earted 'ag an 'er floatin' wagon. She be in distresses an' need 'elps so we doth 'elp da good 'ag. Dis good 'ag sista bethieved 'er belongin's an' we fight an 'orde o' bedamned muckers dat ride on tops o' trolls an' control da birds w' witcheries! We slays all da bedamned muckjumpers an' dere troll 'enchman an' what nots ... but wait ye ... just gettin' started! Den we's attacked by da giant crocs! A dozen! Dey ates da 'orse w' an bedamned gulp an' we slays dem ins quicks! An' afta more muckers an' trolls we makes it ta da 'ag's sista's cursed castle ... da fights be glorious! Me friend, Juugug da go'bin riseth from da grave outta elf scat an' 'elps us slay da witch 'ag an' her minions o' trolls an' what nots. Da 'ag betry ta take off Kylee's skins an' wear dem as 'er owns, but we stops 'er dead. An' ta tops it off ... an bedamned bog dragon showeth ups an' tries ta eats Kylee an' our crew ... but we slays dat too an' drag our rumps outta da bedamned an' becursed Mudbog. An' more muckers 'eard 'ow we called da Muckerslayers, an' outta fears make peace offerin' an' we oblige outta da kind feels o' our 'earts. We learnt dem spells an' learnt dere young ta use spears correctlikes ... whew ... it be an ghastly lot o' days. Buts we save ye princess Kylee an' returns froms our quests ... battlehardy an' wiser ta da ways o' da fates!"

Vangg smiles at Yon, "Yen ... ye doth nigh knows ye in da presence o' an crew o' swift adventurin', an' slayin', an' da rescuin', lot o' folks ... did ye's?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:After a few pints of the local 'jaw loosener' Straegis begins to talk, spewing out histories of great battles
and old wars and of times long gone. He continues on for as long as anyone will listen reminiscing of
heroes and warriors and of the honor given to the great fighters of the past. Pausing to finish the last
drink from his mug he says, "Someday the stories told will be of Straegis II and you will
hopefully remember the day I shared bread and spirit with you, and that is about all I have to say about
that...for now."

Diplomacy=21

O.O.C.: Hurry back Alex.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: So Far ... Four Successes and Two Failures (Alex's rolls were 15 and 17).
Hopefully, Verity rolls a few more successes

Davin's offhanded treatment of the story seems to lift the party above the threats they faced; at least in the eyes of the farmers; but Kardan's desctiption of killing a bird seems to bore even these simple folk. Alex's version of the tale, along with his accompanying demonstration, seems to please the crowd. Most of them don't even seem to understand what Vangg said. Straegis wows them with his knowledge of great battles and great deeds, and then boasts all of your rightful places next to the heroes of yore; and it seems to be well accepted.

OOC: Note: Verity can take 10 and automatically make these rolls; but producing enough rhetoric to justify FOUR such rolls from just himself might be a challenge. Still, let's see what he manages to pull off ...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Halcyon wrote:OCC: I hereby invoke the power of Alex to grant me the power of interesting rhetoric...

“Gather ‘round friends, lest ye be faint of heart. For the details of our story, which my friends have kindly spared you, could make a grown man lose his water. We owe you our full story, harrowing though it may be, that you may know the scope of young Kalee’s ordeal, and also because I am too full of your delicious ale and food to move, and must earn my seat at your table some way” he finishes with a grin.
“I had just ended a year’s servitude to Jugugg the Goblin Cleric of the Raven Queen and was ready to make fast for Brackwater, my home. But the Goblin had a final quest for us yet, and my love of the Queen compelled me to mete her justice.
“’Yar bein’ a wee homesick git, I ‘magin ye be bound t’yer mummy an da.’ Jugugg told me the morning my year’s service ended. ‘The Queen’s got a might less cozy fate for ol’ Jugugg she do, for I knows the place of the slayer at the Cave Temple, and I means to set her right.’
“…and so began our trek to the Lair of the Bog-Hag. Many were our trials along the way, and small were our comforts, as for this task the Queen wanted her servants lean and mad and empty of mercy. And so we were when at last Jugugg and I took our final steps to the Bog Hag’s Lair.
“You can imagine how our hearts sank when we found not only a Hag but five great heroes in her employ. They were eyeing a fair maiden with scorn though; preparing to flay her at the Hags whim we had no doubt. So we steeled ourselves to our purpose and Jugugg confronted the Hag.
“But would you believe the Hag was not our quarry but her sister, and not bent on our destruction but arriving there just as we were to make her vile sister answer for her heinous, macabre crimes? Thus we came to know the Cave Hag responsible for the massacre of innocents at the Cave Temple, where she and her giant slaves feast on the still living children there, was one and the same as the Maiden Hag mothers warn their daughters of, lest they tarry too long after dark. So it was that Lady Fate twined the Cave Hag and the Maiden Hag into one, so that our separate quests might deliver her to the Queen. This glimmer of hope lasted but a moment though, for just then the sky darkened with a great swarm of crows, some of them as big as horses, so the middle of day became darkest night. ‘Twas then the Bog Hag herself, perched high atop her lair cackled with most evil glee, for she knew we’d all fallen into her trap. "Sooo, m'pretty ... DAT's where my new clothes 'ave escaped to, hahaha! Well, it'll make li'l diff'rence other'n fillin' my stew boil! Ah hahahaha!", said she, and such was the force set against us that we believed.
“So dark it was and distracted by the Hag, I barely dodged a great arrow shot from the black shadows of the trees. Big round as a broomstick the arrow was, and twice as long, shot by a troll as tall as the trees. Mine eyes darted about to survey what other dangers the darkness held. I was much chagrinned to see that my attacker, huge brute though he was, was the smallest of six trolls, and they had us surrounded.
“And so, the sky black with giant crows and raining arrows bigger than spears, the demon witch chanting curses, my companions and I knew that our end was likely nigh. Against the onslaught of claws and blades, sharp beaks and hexes, and beset from above and all around as we were our cause seemed all but lost. But could we betray the memory of those slain at the temple and flee? Could we leave poor injured Kalee to be flayed alive for the vanity of the hell-spawned witch? Of course we couldn’t for we are Brackwater folk and loyal servants of the Queen, and so we rallied to action!
“Alex with his Aquamancy launched a great wave at the Hag, but her magic was great too, and she shielded the attack. Davin Fletcher, true to his name loosed a flurry of arrows, and all struck deep in her chest. The damage seemed only to anger the Hag, so strong was she in the black arts. Vangg, Staegis, and Kardan closed with the huge trolls - foolishly or bravely? ‘Twas anyone’s guess, outnumbered two to one as they were. The good hag Agnes and my master Jugugg contended with the thousand great crows as the birds clawed and pecked at our eyes. I’ve still got the marks here, where one nearly made off with mine.” Verity traces a still healing line down from each eye.
“Attacked from all directions as we were, there was none left to take the fight to the Hag, none to look into her eye, into the depths of her black perverted soul and with Fair Fortune cast her down to her long-deserved doom. None that is, save I. I knew not if I would survive, indeed it seemed more likely I would end the day with the flesh cut from my bones and boiled in the Hag’s cauldron to feed her foul appetite. But try I would, for fair Kalee and for the Queen.
“I clambered to the top of the Hag’s lair and channeled Holy power down upon her from afar, the Queen’s vengeance flashing like lightning in the darkness as it smote the accursed Hag. Alex beat the Hags defenses then, and the full force of his mighty wave smashed against her, as Davin’s arrow continued to strike true. I cursed the Witch as I charged that she would know the crimes that doomed her and the Fate that awaited her on the other side. In a frenzy of rabid hate she and her giant crow lashed out at me, slicing my armor with their razor claws as if it were paper. There we stood, locked in a combat only one could walk away from, both one good blow away from death.
“It was Alex, then who with a great fist of water, seized the Hag and crushed her, down into and through her own roof and onto the floor below, where she lay crumpled and twisted, dead. “
Verity raises his cup “To Alex and the rest of my new companions, without whom myself, my master Jugugg, and fair Kalee, would surely be dead. Huzzah!” Verity toasts with as many people as he can reach. “Blessed be you, my friends, and blessed be these good folk for the warm hospitality. May you all be poor in misfortune,” and toasts again.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Awesome, Halcyon.

-Swift
Malazek wrote:Awesome.
That's good for 175 XPs each ... bringing you to 3751.
(Just enough for 4th level)

The farmers and neighbors and good village folk are duly impressed, and are sure to spread the word of the great heroes from Brackwater ... after that, the night is a haze; a blur of mirth and excitement.

Levelling up to 4th ...

*Raise your half-level to +2 (this increases attacks, defenses, initiative, skill checks, and ability checks).
*Raise two ability scores by +1 each (and any values derived from the mods, if those increase in the process).
*Pick a feat.
*Gain HPs appropriate to your class (4 for Alex, 6 for Verity and Kardan, 5 for everyone else).

This Chapter is Complete.
Go here for Chapter Two!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25