Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 13 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 am

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis turns to Verity and Mordax and says as quietly as possible "I understand your misgivings here but we desperately need rest and could use any info that his sage is willing to spare. If we decide to forgo any other reward or possibly limit the items we will accept, perhaps excluding yourselves or anyone else who would object, could we not find at least temporary relief here? I'm not implying he has gained our trust but as a king, regardless of his affiliations, is he not bound by at the least his honor and his word?" Straegis will wait patiently for their and/or his allies responses.

O.O.C.: Forgot to introduce a few NPC's to the king, merely an oversight Straegis would have introduced everyone.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses" - Page 13 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Five: "Veiled Trespasses"

The Witch-King wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis turns to Verity and Mordax and says as quietly as possible "I'm not implying he has gained our trust but as a king, regardless of his affiliations, is he not bound by at the least his honor and his word?"
"Nae" replies Mordax just as softly, "Any leader o' men worth 'is salt isn'ae bound by lofty ideals. A guid general will do anything an' everything it takes tae destroy any an' all threats. Trust nae tae chivalry here, boyo', this isn'ae some story for tha' women o' tha' court."

Stepping forward, Mordax bows perfunctorily and then squares his shoulders in a Sergeant's stance. Looking the aristocrat directly in the eyes, he says "Great laird, oor stories tell o' one wi' yuir name, matching yuir description, carrying yuir accouterments fraem long, long aga'. How is it tha' I'm speaking wi' you sae long after ye disappear fraem written records? Will ye no indulge an' ol' soldier wi' yuir tale? This boon I ask o' ye fer my part in yuir tale, told straight an' true wi' nae embellishment."

So saying, the grizzled veteran steps back into line, hands clasped o'er hammer.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis turns to Verity and Mordax and says as quietly as possible "I'm not implying he has gained our trust but as a king, regardless of his affiliations, is he not bound by at the least his honor and his word?"
The Witch-King wrote:
"Nae" replies Mordax just as softly, "Any leader o' men worth 'is salt isn'ae bound by lofty ideals. A guid general will do anything an' everything it takes tae destroy any an' all threats. Trust nae tae chivalry here, boyo', this isn'ae some story for tha' women o' tha' court."

Davin replies to Straegis and Mordax.

"What each of us think of our hosts intentions is really of no consequence. Straegis is right - look at Alex, Mordax. He is about to pass out. Are you going to be able to drill him through another three hour march? We are all injured, weary, and there is no perfect harbor in sight. Rest, at this point, is not a luxury - it is a necessity."

"One thing more. A sure way to earn the King's ire is to treat him poorly. I understand that Verity's goddess, the Queen, Mordax's old Gram, and a drunkard I once met in the Stewbowl all have issue with the Risen. But, in case no one noticed, the ten of us are in the middle of their KINGDOM. Surrounded by THOUSANDS of them. Please. If only because I prefer life over unlife. Please show respect. Perhaps even deference."

"Never forget: there are worse fates than death."

His piece being said, Davin bows to the King before leaving his presence, and begins to set camp, Hound at his side.

O.O.C. - Alex said he has one healing surge left. We gotta rest.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Straegis, I'll no more deny that Alex needs rest than I would deny it's because of our hosts' treatment of him. Albeit that was before we restored them to their full power," replies Verity.
"While we are on the topic of respect, Davin, I can see that my brothers and myself have been remiss in teaching the Glory of the Word. I shall prepare a lesson for the morrow, that you learn not to speak of the Queen and the town drunkard in the same breath."
"If there is nothing else, I would hear this king's tale from the source. What say you Qualibar, will you grant Mordax's request?"

Diplomacy: 32
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:13 am

Malazek wrote:"It is a long tale; too long to fully account in a single telling. But I shall tell you this much: ages ago, this region of the world was overrun by scalykind. While the arrogant Arkhosians claimed to rule their 'lesser' kin, in truth their kin paid their mighty empire little heed. The lizardfolk cared little about what happened outside of their bountiful bog; the troglodytes of the mountains saw no reason to interract with the dragon men of Arkhosia; and the wicked serpent people of the Yuan-ti held the dragonborn in open contempt."

"Of course, the human empire of Bael Turath stood opposite Arkhosia, willing to live and let live. But that isn't the nature of such cold-blooded creatures. Arkhosia marched against Bael Turath, inflicting terrible atrocities upon the people. The nobles of Bael Turath fought back, but who could stand against the terrible power of their foe's dragon gods? So, the Bael Turan's turned to a power nearly as dark as the dragons themselves: the devilish legions of hell."

"The war tore both empires to the ground. Neither survived; victims of mutually assured destruction brought upon the world by the lust and greed of scalykind."

"But from the ashes of Bael Turath, mankind's indefeatable will to survive rose again. Singular keeps and isolated strongholds rose up to claim what was rightfully theirs; petty baronies formed and reformed, and eventually united with their neighbors. Unlike their reptilian advesaries, mankind is naturally united."

"It was from one such forsaken keep than I once hailed from; and the decent folk of my village demanded that I rid the country side of the sinister yuan-ti. My campaign against the snakemen went well, at first. As baronies united to become duchies, and duchies strove to be kingdoms, the name of 'Rex Qalibar' became a rallying cry for humans everywhere. The lords and ladies of the land depended on that spirit to lead them into the future."

"And then I died. Slain by the treachery of a Zehirist assassin."

"But the noble lords could not allow their hero to be taken away so easily. Still armed with the diabolic powers used against the Dragonborn, Bael Turath's survivor's dragged me from death to continue their war. And so I did."

"And when I was done, I vowed to maintain peace in the realm that I fought so hard to liberate. The old institutions that sought to restablish themselves crumbled; but a new kingdom emerged: my kingdom."

"And it was peaceful for a hundred years."

"Eventually, another human Empire arose: the empire of Nerath. And my kingdom was quickly, and willfully, assimiliated. Yet, I was allowed to keep my kingdom as a feudal subject of the Emperor. And so I did."

"But all things must eventually whither and die. Nerath did so rather quickly. And as she fell, her many kingdoms fought to dominate each other. Nerath's legacy was in reducing the glory of mankind to the petty squabbling of lizards."

"But we defended ourselves from all who would depose us. That is, until a meek man from the quaint town of Etol came and respectfully requested that I step aside to allow a new era to begin: 'the era of man,' he said."

"In my desire to see mankind reach the potential I knew she had, I failed to consider that I was no longer a part of it. This news broke me. But I stepped aside, and allowed Sazar to lead Etol to glory. Me and mine retreated to these halls, forever outcast from the human world we helped forge."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity swallows hard, his mouth suddenly dry. Qalibar was asked to step down? By a meek man from Etol? That one who should be most vile instead command admiration turns the Paladin's world on end.
His mind turns again to his dream: could this twist of Fate be the Prophesy manifest again? Was the Queen's own Word obscured by Her Church's dogma?
"I stand humbled by your words Rex Qualibar, for they ring true and certainly you've no cause to lie to we ten."
His voice rises to carry through the gloomy hall. "I rose to manhood ever warned against the evils of undeath and abyssal treachery. Such is the way of things in the World of Man, the world borne of your benevolence. My church, our church," indicating his bretheren, "reinforced these teachings. Indeed, I am sworn to your destruction and the destruction of all your risen folk."
He pauses just long enough for dramatic effect,"But ne'er have I dreamed - I, Verity Servinus, named Prophet...ne'er did I foresee that I could stand before the product of infernal undeath and see such honor and grace before me. This Age needs those noble qualities as much as Ages past. It is a great blessing for we folk that you've crossed a sea of time to teach us this ancient lesson. As we stand perched on the brink of oblivion, locked in a great war, it is nobility such as yours that shall see us through, lest all be lost. Your heart beats no more, yet holds the best of humanity within.
"For this I salute you, amarathine king."
Verity raises his sword high in salute and booms, "HAIL QALIBAR!"

"What now king, that you've risen again? Surely not to sit idle atop that ancient throne where you've sat prisoner so long. What is it you wish?"

Diplomacy: 40
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis listens intently to Rex Qalibar's story, comparing it to his own knowledge of the timeframe he speaks of. His own jaw falls open after Verity's comments and he thinks to himself... "Av mel ha ilne mar enel, dasel vin bavi gimas tarilem a eyn!" (If he is not telling the truth, that's the most amazing bluff I've ever seen!) Straegis waits on the king's response, and on that of his allies, before saying anything more.

History: 1d20=7+16=23
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax bows, less perfunctorily this time, and says "I thank'ee, conqueror, fer yuir tale. Know then tha' Etol is village nae longer, but tha' capital o' the Empire, mankind's light in this world. 'Tis in fact tha' Emperor's need tha' drives us through yuir halls, fer under siege i' 'tis.

Tha' scalys 'ave been replaced by treacherous dwarves, they 'ave, but tha' story is always tha' same, in'it? 'Tis fer guid reason there's always a group o' fightin' men tae be found. Since ye've given yuir leave I'll take yuir hospitality, and count me'sel' lucky tae 'ave passed through yuir cobwebb'd domain."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Insight checks:

On Qalibar's minions to give something away: 1d20+20=28

On Qalibar himself: 1d20+20=30

On his Sage: 1d20+20=30
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:14 am

Halcyon wrote:His brother's silence amidst the adulation grounds Verity in caution. He links the group in thought.
"Read ye anything amiss betwixt the words, Vangg?" He thinks.
After invoking One Heart One Mind, he will aid the wary Vangg's efforts:
17, 24, 11 for +4s.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
The Witch-King wrote:Mordax bows, less perfunctorily this time, and says "I thank'ee, conqueror, fer yuir tale. Know then tha' Etol is village nae longer, but tha' capital o' the Empire, mankind's light in this world. 'Tis in fact tha' Emperor's need tha' drives us through yuir halls, fer under siege i' 'tis.

Tha' scalys 'ave been replaced by treacherous dwarves, they 'ave, but tha' story is always tha' same, in'it? 'Tis fer guid reason there's always a group o' fightin' men tae be found. Since ye've given yuir leave I'll take yuir hospitality, and count me'sel' lucky tae 'ave passed through yuir cobwebb'd domain."
"Mmm. Indeed. And thank you bringing us news of the outside world."

Verity wrote:His brother's silence amidst the adulation grounds Verity in caution. He links the group in thought. "Read ye anything amiss betwixt the words, Vangg?" he thinks.
One Heart One Mind.
Tallgarnuk and Juugug will aid, as well.
Vangg wrote:Insight checks:
On Qalibar's minions to give something away: 1d20+20 (+12) =50
On Qalibar himself: 1d20+20 (+12) =42
Vangg senses that Qalibar's followers are themselves listening intently; though they've heard it before, they hang anxiously on his every word. Qalibar himself seems to be choosing his words carefully, but every word spoken is completely true (obviously, there is more to it, but he has apparently recounted the important parts).

Verity wrote:"I stand humbled by your words Rex Qualibar, ... I rose to manhood ever warned against the evils of undeath and abyssal treachery."
"As did I."

Verity wrote:"Indeed, I am sworn to your destruction and the destruction of all your risen folk ... ... But ne'er have I dreamed ... I could stand before the product of infernal undeath and see such honor and grace before me. This Age needs those noble qualities as much as Ages past ... it is nobility such as yours that shall see us through, lest all be lost. Your heart beats no more, yet holds the best of humanity within.
"For this I salute you, ... HAIL QALIBAR!"
The king smiles when presented with such praise.

Verity wrote:"What now king, that you've risen again? Surely not to sit idle atop that ancient throne where you've sat prisoner so long. What is it you wish?"
Diplomacy: 40
"I wish only for what I've always wished for; a quiet and peaceful realm for me and mine. And for now, we have that here."

Straegis wrote:Straegis listens intently to Rex Qalibar's story, comparing it to his own knowledge ... Straegis waits on the king's response, and on that of his allies, before saying anything more.

History: 1d20=7+16=23
His story aligns with the generally accepted timeline of Etolic history AND with the tale told to you by Mykondalar of the Garkondrak; but historians have been unable to agree on the exact dates of prior events, because few records survived the fall of Arkhosia and Bael Turath (remember, Ayrikai was searching for such information).

Ba'al Qalibar looks to Straegis, waiting for some indication that an agreement has been reached, and that the heroes will head off to speak with Nennius the Sage and to set-up camp (Davin and Hound have already begun working on the latter).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:Verity will discern what he can as to the nature of Qalibar and his minions. He projects his thoughts to the others.
"Qalibar is truthful enough but he seems to dance around truths unspoken. He could be restless of the centuries idle here and thirst for further conquest. Best we learn what we can about our grateful undead benefactor discretely
"So brothers; are they all wights as the drain on health would indicate, or something else? Is Qalibar the same sort of creature as they? Is perhaps his sword a phylactery and he a Lich? Do the church libraries hold insight into the long reign of this undead Lord?"

Nature of minions (religion): Natch 33
Nature of Qalibar (religion): 25
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:15 am

Swifthand wrote:Davin will Aid Verity with his Religion checks with knowledge gleaned from smokey nights in the Stewbowl and tales told by travelers around the campfires of the Malbog.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "We wish not to disturb your peace, allow us to rest our weary heads for now and we can discuss the details on the morrow." If the king's mage comes now, Straegis will hope his allies spend at least a few minutes before sleep helping him with appropriate questions. If he doesn't come til the morning, Straegis will rest and spend time copying the remainder of the ritual into his spell book, and ask questions of the mage later.

O.O.C.: Sleeping in shifts tonight may be a good idea, in light of our present location.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"So brothers; are they all wights as the drain on health would indicate, or something else? Is Qalibar the same sort of creature as they? Is perhaps his sword a phylactery and he a Lich? Do the church libraries hold insight into the long reign of this undead Lord?"[/color]

Nature of minions (religion): Natch 33 (+12) = 45
Verity studies the undead soldiers all around him, and considers their unbodied states just moments ago. He is all but convinced they are ghosts, despite their apparent solidity. His suspicion is easily verified when Davin checks the crypts, and finds the soldiers' bones still at rest.

Verity wrote:Nature of Qalibar (religion): 25 (+12) = 37
Qalibar is another matter. His unique nature is difficult to pinpoint, but he seems somehow "more corporal" than his followers. Perhaps he is some sort of vampiric death knight?

Straegis wrote: "We wish not to disturb your peace, allow us to rest our weary heads for now and we can discuss the details on the morrow." If the king's mage comes now, Straegis will hope his allies spend at least a few minutes before sleep helping him with appropriate questions. If he doesn't come til the morning, Straegis will rest and spend time copying the remainder of the ritual into his spell book, and ask questions of the mage later.

O.O.C.: Sleeping in shifts tonight may be a good idea, in light of our present location.
The dead king nods, and the heroes are dismissed to join Davin in the hall.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Azzy and I will take a watch. It will give us a chance to discuss the responsibilities of his birthright."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:16 am

Malazek wrote:Azzy's eyes widen.

Kersh adds "Kersh'll take watch, too."
"Firss' watches'll be mine," says Taalgarnuk,"wit' Davidge Fletchumss."
Juugug nods, "Fine den, leave me wit' da bedamned Dwarfs!"
_____ _____ _____ _____

OOC: So, 2 hour watches?

Hours 1 & 2: Straegis, Taalgarnuk, Davin, Hound
Hours 3 & 4: Straegis, Verity, Azrealbenzariel
Hours 5 & 6: Straegis, Vangg, Juugug
Hours 7 & 8: Straegis, Mordax, Alex, Kersh

Anyone object to this arrangement? If not, then I'll move things along. (I know Mordax usually takes first watch, but Taalgarnuk specifically requested it, and I didn't think Mordax would argue. Also, I know Mordax sometimes take two watches; if he wants two, that's fine, just let me know when ... and make sure he gets at least 6 hours of sleep)
_____ _____ _____ _____

Of course, the camp site is still surrounded by crypts, as is there is nowhere else to go; nonetheless, the party buckles down for the night, ready to sleep like the dead (it's been a long grueling day).

But before anyone gets to bed, a young man dressed in ancient robes, approaches the party, and speaks with a reverberating voice "Goood eeveniing. I am Nennius, Magus O' Ba'al Qalibar. The king has sent me to answer whatever questions I can." He looks from face to face, waiting for the first inquiry.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex listens to the tale, but his exhaustion cannot be beaten out of him even with ledgends of old. He is too tired to think, meerly sits there attempting to keep his eyes open.

As the group settle for watch, he eagerly takes the last one, looking for sleep immediately he throws down his bedroll and is slumbering soundly. He didn't even read through his spellbook, as is his normal custom. However, he is kept awake by discussion and the needs of the group. He pulls out his book and leafs through it.

--------------
Please GOD let us not be attacked. I need my surges back!
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:“We would learn how to change the aspect of a nexus from one element to another. If such is not possible, we would learn to destroy a nexus without ourselves being destroyed.
“When that arcane research is done, perhaps you could provide martial counsel. It may provide advantage in our war with the dwarves to know something of the strategies of the great conqueror Rex Qalibar.”

OCC: If we need to make any skill checks here, aid each other's rolls while One Heart One Mind is still active. It gives +4 aid bonus rather than the usual +2. That nets +8 extra (+16 total) when 4 people aid.

Verity successfully aids 1 arcana check and 2 religion checks.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Don't forget we want to Send to the Oracle to inform her of the Dwarves' sack of the Cave Temple. This is about the safest spot we're likely to get!

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:17 am

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“We would learn how to change the aspect of a nexus from one element to another. If such is not possible, we would learn to destroy a nexus without ourselves being destroyed. When that arcane research is done, perhaps you could provide martial counsel. It may provide advantage in our war with the dwarves to know something of the strategies of the great conqueror Rex Qalibar.”
"I do not know if such a thing could be accomplished, let alone how; but doing so would likely have catastrophic consequences. The one who could answer such a question was called Hedephera. She can be found many, many leagues to the east, at the Necropolis of Marisanke; that is, if she still breathes after all these centuries. ... But I sense that your mission is an urgeant one? Do you have any means of contacting her from afar? Magically, perhaps? If not, I can teach you how."

"Martial counsel? Against dwarves? That is a complicated matter. The key to defeating any foe is to play your strengths against their weaknesses. Against dwarves, this is exceptionally difficult. They move slowly, but that is not as easy to exploit as one would suspect, because of their expert marksman; yet, up close they are even more dangerous. To make matters worse, their physical fortitude is matched only by their indomitable will. Dwarves are indeed formidable advesaries. ... Their steadfast adherance to tradition can, at times, restrain their imaginations. Perhaps you could find a way to use that against them? I could provide suggestions, but first I'd need to know what your strengths and assets are."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis listens intently to Nennius' words, trying to determine whether his advice can actually help or if he is just rambling because he has an audience. When he asks about the skills of their group, Straegis is kind enough to give him a brief description of their strengths (with the slightest amount of embellishment, of course) Cool, and what he perceives to be their limitations (with a certain amount of understatement, of course!). 😉 He tries to recall what, if anything, he knows of Hedephera or Marisanke, then asks Nennius "When you say to ask Hedephera, are you implying she would come here? Or just that she may reply to our queries?" He waits for his reply and then calmly asks, "Nennius, while we are here, would you be so kind as to share with us the sigil sequences to any locations we aren't currently in possession of?" If he can assist them, Straegis informs him of the sequences they already have.

Insight: 1d20=18+5(half-lvl)=23 (+Assist, or to Assist?)
History(Hedephera): 1d20=19+16=35 (+Assists?)
History(Necropolis of Marisanke): 1d20=4+16=20 (+Assists?)

O.O.C.: When he asked if we knew how to attempt contact with Hedephera, is he talking about Sending ritual? If not, then I want him to show us what he's talking about. Not sure of all the locations Alex and Straegis already have for Linked Portal ritual, but looking for new ones of interest.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:“That covers our strengths. Alas, we don’t know what strengths and weaknesses might remain of the Etolic empire.
"But how might the Great Qalibar handle the defense of a vast city, or attempt to take one? Surely there are examples from his illustrious exploits that we might learn from. While you know naught of magical nexi, surely you can illuminate the skills of your master?

“And what do you know of the Treaty of Necro-nic-tus?”
He sort of coughs out the last syllables, not quite sure as to the name of the treaty. “Between your kind and my Church?”

When that's sorted out, Verity asks telepathically of Alex “Friend I know ye be weary, but for a few moments wakefulness you can alert the Queen’s Faithful to our cause. Our enemies move to take the Temple even now and there is no time to waste. Perform us a sending to our High Priest and we’ll insure no harm comes to you as you work your arcane arts.

Alex, I implore you send this, with all haste:

'Rockbenders seek elemental dominance, orchestrated Cave Temple massacre. Ten thousand dwarves move to secure it. Travel underdark, shall destroy wise stone.
Qualibar risen.
-Servinus, Rihns.'”
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 am

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex rubs his temples. "Of...of course. To switch from Earth to Water would be a brilliant feat." He perks up a little, but is still rather haggard looking.

He begins to set up the circle as is required for the sending ritual.

He also attempts to help with the groups discussion and on any pieces of knowledge he may have.

----------------
Willing to assist anything I can. Arcana +19, Religion +16, History +16.

He will then perform all the sendings required. I'll deduct when you tell me how many.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 am

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis listens intently to Nennius' words, trying to determine whether his advice can actually help or if he is just rambling because he has an audience.
Insight: = 23+16
A mix of both. Nennius is very knowledgeable, but more importantly knows where to find information. He is not, however, the chief tactician; he is just the chief sage.

Straegis wrote:When he asks about the skills of their group, Straegis is kind enough to give him a brief description of their strengths ... and what he perceives to be their limitations.
After listening to Straegis's evaluation, Nennius concludes that the best way to defeat the dwarves is to strike suddenly where they least expect it: inside their halls. He also rambles on about using diplomacy to forge a united siege.

Verity wrote:“That covers our strengths. Alas, we don’t know what strengths and weaknesses might remain of the Etolic empire.
"But how might the Great Qalibar handle the defense of a vast city, or attempt to take one? Surely there are examples from his illustrious exploits that we might learn from. While you know naught of magical nexi, surely you can illuminate the skills of your master?
"Yes, yes. If faced with such a foe, Ba'al Qalibar would certianly do the same. First, he'd enlist the aid of their enemies and convince their allies not to interfere.* Second, he'd surround them (with superior numbers, if possible) and cut off their supply lines. And finally, he'd strike at their leadership, by sending in a small band of specialists."

"*Of course, convincing the allies of your enemy not to interfere is a difficult task. Years of fear campagins are usually required; bloody cruelty is nearly always a preprequisite. With enough gold, one might be able to purchase such loyalty, but never trust the fidelity of those who would sell their friends."

Straegis wrote:He tries to recall what, if anything, he knows of Hedephera or Marisanke
History(Hedephera): =35+16
History(Necropolis of Marisanke): =20+16
Hedephera is the name of an eastern legend; some type of human-headed lioness who supposedly advises anyone who can answer her riddles. Little is known of it here in the west, save that which soldiers have brought back with them after campaigning there. Marisanke was a pharoah on the eastern peninsula, several hundred years ago; her rule was short-lived, but she supposedly imprisoned some monstrous oracle. ... perhaps it was Hedephera?

Straegis wrote:then asks Nennius "When you say to ask Hedephera, are you implying she would come here? Or just that she may reply to our queries?"
"I am hoping she will answer your querries; she was unable to leave her abode, when last we spoke. She may require your presence before answering, but given your current predicament she may not. Be sure to tell her I referred you to her."

Straegis wrote:O.O.C.: When he asked if we knew how to attempt contact with Hedephera, is he talking about Sending ritual?
OOC: Yes: Sending.

Verity wrote:“And what do you know of the Treaty of Necro-nic-tus?” He sort of coughs out the last syllables, not quite sure as to the name of the treaty. “Between your kind and my Church?”
"I know of no such treaty. Certianly, knights and clerics of the Raven Queen have come here numerous times, trying to destroy us ... though, not nearly as often as the cultists of Orcus have come, trying to subjugate us."

Straegis wrote:He waits for his reply and then calmly asks, "Nennius, while we are here, would you be so kind as to share with us the sigil sequences to any locations we aren't currently in possession of?" If he can assist them, Straegis informs him of the sequences they already have.

Not sure of all the locations Alex and Straegis already have for Linked Portal ritual, but looking for new ones of interest.
Nennius takes a moment to write numerous sigil-sequences for Straegis, many to places that no longer stand or that Straegis has never heard of. Among them: Etol and many of the surrounding towns which have since been engulfed by the great city, several lost Arkhosian cities, numerous ruined Bael Turan cities, some eastern cities (including Osul and Marisanke), the Pyry Mound, the Wyver Oak, the Femdrell, and Talthanin.

Alex wrote:Alex rubs his temples. He also attempts to help with the groups discussion and on any pieces of knowledge he may have. "Of...of course. To switch from Earth to Water would be a brilliant feat." He perks up a little, but is still rather haggard looking. He begins to set up the circle as is required for the sending ritual.

He will then perform all the sendings required. I'll deduct when you tell me how many.
Well, I know there's at least the one to the Oracle of the Queen ... are you guys gonna use Sending to contact Hedephera, too? If so, I need to know the message (and depending on her response, it may require another one ... so, somebody should drop a diplomacy roll when you cast that one).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next