Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases Empty Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

Post  Malazek Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm

OOC: What's next? You guys have effectively stopped the war, reclaimed the Cave Temple, and foiled the evil schemes of the Earthbenders. What do we want to do next? This is YOUR chapter, so let's take in the direction you want. Do you want to hunt the Beast Glatisant? Investigate the dissappearance of Talth'Anin? Seek and Destroy the remaining Hag? Something else? YOU decide what's first, and I'll run it from there (plus the addition of new stories and challenges).

Last edited by Malazek on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

Post  Swifthand Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

"I believe we all said a nice, relaxing hunting trip was in order post Cave Temple, so I vote for Beast Glatisant, but, if someone has other ideas, I'm all ears (elf joke)."

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

Post  macksgarageusa Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm

"I am all in favor of following your 'ears' tyrol, if thats what's really motivating you!" , Straegis chuckles. "If we are confident that our help is not needed here, I say we go on a hunt for that which may or may not exist. I wouldn't mind spending some time trying to figure out the peril of Talth'anin at some point but the king may be willing to share more facts with us if we succeed in finding the mythical beast. Besides, I think we have more than earned a right to spend a little time working for ourselves!"

O.o.C.: I had already subtracted the components for the sending ritual at the end of the last chapter.

O.o.C.2: Oh yeah, w00t! for finishing another chapter.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 28, 2010 8:35 am

OOC: Sounds good. Lets' do it.
How to go about it?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri May 28, 2010 5:10 pm

"Where was the Beast last seen? Oh and I almost forgot ,"
Verity carefully unwraps the orb for inspection.
"Straegis, what do you make of this?"

Aid Straegis's Identify by offering what he knows of religious uses of glass orbs. Religion: 24
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 am

OOC: Okay, it's been four days, so I am going to assume Straegis complies with Verity's request. I didn't want to make that decision for him, but we have to move forward eventually. If he takes-10 on Arcana, he gets a 32. He can deliberate with Verity for another +2.

Verity unwraps the heavy ball, and discovers a cracked obsidian orb. Handing it to Straegis, he asks the scholarly Eladrin to check it out.

Taking the Orb in hand, Straegis inspects it careful. It doesn't fit exactly into any of the histories or myths he knows of, so he falls back on his knowledge of magical object. Several possibilities exist, so he discusses his ideas with comrades. After a few seconds, his scrutiny pays off ... or does it? The orb begins to warm up, and strange light begins to emenate from the center of the ball, illuminating the rock from within. Straegis stares at the changing orb, trying to discern it's purpose. The orb grows even warmer, becoming uncomfortably hot.

And then, he sees it. The light inside the orb changes ... to a view of someplace else. A horrific fiend pacing upon cloven hooves and fur-covered legs. With heavy twisted horns, the demon moves his head side-to-side as if looking for something. Then, his pointy ears pick-up, and he turns his face directly toward Straegis's point of view. As he steps forward, his goateed face comes into view; it's human-like and handsome, despite his beastial body.

Then, it cannot be denied, he isn't merely looking in the same direction ... he is looking at Straegis! Straegis coils back and tries to look away, but the Orb cannot be switched off. A wry grin crosses the monsters face, revealing his sharp pearly-whites. "WHere iS my dAUgHtER?! WHere iS sHe?!!! And then the Orb goes cold and dark again ... but not before it's punitive price is paid!!

Straegis and Verity both gain Vulnerable 10 to Psychic Damage, until further notice.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:34 pm

O.o.C.: apologies for the delays, holiday weekend and all. thanx for the take 10.

As he recoils from the image, Straegis tries to figure out what just happened to him. Unsure of exactly what he is feeling, he's positive it is not good. He tries to explain to his allies what he saw (if they will listen). Two questions come from him, somewhat rhetorically "Is this beast he saw the hags father? If so, perhaps he could be used to find the last hag?"
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 pm

Davin listens to Straegis' story as he makes ready to depart for the hunting trip.

O.O.C. - What does Davin know of hag lore?

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Straegis wrote:"Is this beast he saw the hags father? If so, perhaps he could be used to find the last hag?"

“If the Hag, or her father, doesn’t find us first.
“Time enough to deal with that. We’ve another hunt to attend: for the Beast Gallistant, rarely seen and never caught. Methinks the beast’s luck is about to change.”

Verity will try to identify as much as he can about the diabolical creature seen in the orb. Religion: 33
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - What does Davin know of hag lore?
OOC: He's leart quite a bit, actually; especially recently. **IF** any of it is relevant, however, it will be something Agatha said (nothing in the book will help you here).

Halcyon wrote:Verity will try to identify as much as he can about the diabolical creature seen in the orb. Religion: 33
Verity is sure the thing in the orb was some kind of fiend; but which kind? Verity ponders whether this fiend could be the Hags' sire, or not. He weighs the facts:
  • First, the fiend's words seemed more than just idle threats; they were carefully chosen, though to what end Verity is usnure.
  • Second, it seeks to extend its power into the mortal world, through the orb (and possibly by creating and commanding it's progeny).
  • Third, it seems angered that someone "unexpected" used the orb. It desires order.
These facts lead Verity to believe the fiend was a Devil of a the Nine Hells. Working on this hypothesis, Verity considers the ramifactions. Devils are known to lust after the souls of mortals. If the "devil" were indeed the Hag's father, then perhaps the seduction of the sisters' mothers was manifest of this lust? In fact, the hags involvement in the attacking of religious sites (like the cave Temple) could somehow be an extension of that lust, as well.

Yes, the knight is certian the fiend was from the Nine Hells. And considering where the orb was found, he deems it likely the thing was Agatha's father.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Verity tries to determine how the vulnerability might be ended. Perhaps an infusion of herbs...
Heal: 25
If that fails and it seems magical means might end the curse he asks Straegis,
"Got anything stronger?"
Once that's sorted he's ready to depart for the hunt.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:37 am

"You two don't look very good. If you want, you can both rest in the back of the wagon while I drive; I'm sure Zephyr will follow the girls."

Pondering for a moment, Davin continues.

"When I was a boy, I once saw a traveling show that passed through Brackwater. The show had strange beasts in wagon-cages among the other attractions. That is what we are going to need - a wagon-cage."

Packing the last of the gear in the wagon, Davin makes his rounds to say goodbye to everyone and also asks everyone if they know where he could get a wagon-cage. Then, with Hound at his side, the ranger jumps up on the ATW and heads off. The elf's destination is the copse he last saw the Questing Beast only a few days ago.

"We have had good weather this week - I should be able to find the Beast's spoor and track it from where we saw him last."

Is there a wagon cage around? Perhaps in Jaru? Something that could be hitched to the ATW?

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity tries to determine how the vulnerability might be ended. Perhaps an infusion of herbs...Heal: 25
The right combination of medicinal herbs might work. You'd have to find them first, and the remedy could take several days. Verity makes a mental note of which types of herb could do the trick, that way he can look for them (now, later, or during the journey).

Davin wrote:Is there a wagon cage around? Perhaps in Jaru? Something that could be hitched to the ATW?
There are no "wagon-cages" in Jaru, but there are several carts and wagons. There are also enough metal bars and wooden planks to construct a cage. Such a cage could easily be secured atop a cart small enough to be trailored to the wagon. OOC: Give me some kind of a roll to construct it (an INT check, maybe).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Wagon-cage construction - 27

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Straegis searches through his packs and shows Verity all of the herbs and salves they are currently in possession of. "I have a few rituals here that may come in handy, if we know the nature of the damage done we could try to remove the affliction." As he browses the ritual book, a ritual he copied awhile ago catches his eye. "Look at this tyrol!" He shows Davin the Commune with Nature ritual in his book and tries to explain how it works. "Perhaps this will come in handy in our hunt?"

O.o.C.: Here is the ritual description:
- Commune with Nature (360/140/Nature)
Level: 6, Category: Divination, Time: 30 minutes, Duration: 10 minutes
By communing with primal spirits of nature, you can learn a number of facts about your immediate environs (within 1 mile of you). You can ask a number of questions, based on the result of your Nature check, about the terrain features, plants, minerals, bodies of water, creatures, and other aspects of your surroundings. The primal spirits you communicate with are honest but can be elusive. Most questions are answered with a yes or a no. Rarely do the spirits elaborate further, and when they do, their response is cryptic.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:58 am

Verity makes a mental inventory of Straegis's herbs and salves.
He aids Davin with what he knows of keeping farm animals put from back home.
Int roll: 12
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Straegis tries to help Davin with ideas for the wagon-cage by sharing with him some of the techniques the Eladrin use to build temporary "jails" to house their captured enemies.

Int. roll: 1d20=7
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Okay, the three heroes build a cage for the Questing Beast, and they believe it is suitable to the task.
Also, Straegis and Verity go through their herbs, trying to figure the best way to remove their affliction.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:08 am

OCC: Is it late? Time to make camp, perhaps? If not...

"OK, let's go!" says Verity as he rides along in the wagon.

Last edited by Halcyon on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Is it late? Time to make camp, perhaps? If not...

"OK, let's go!" says Verity as he mounts up.

Davin follows suit.

"Tyrol, that ritual is perfect! When we get to the glade where we saw the Beast, let's try it."

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Verity aids Straegis's ritual when they get to the spot by finding a suitable area free of distraction.

Nature: 13
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Straegis tightens up all of his packs, hops in the wagon and readies himself for the journey. "I didn't know why I copied that ritual when I did but now I'm sure there must have been a reason. All's well Tyrol, Onward!"

O.o.C.: Just doublechecking, we didn't need to see Harley for anything before we left, did we? Also, I don't exactly remember where we saw that beast. Do we need to portal anywhere or is it just a wagon ride?
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:48 pm

OCC: Mal - I'm assuming The Emperor's people sent word to the Imperial fleet NOT to battle the dwarves in the Cave Temple just yet. If we should follow up on that then do please let us know.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:45 am

OOC: Been working extra long hours at the new job. I will get to this as soon as I can.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:35 am

O.o.C.: So I find myself wondering lately: If a person shows, through their continued behaviors and actions to have an absolute aversion to common sense, do they lack intelligence or wisdom? Or both? Does they fact that they claim to be a 'genius' change the answer, or have any effect on the previous query? Just thought I would pose this question to some of my most intelligent and wise friends...feel free to share your input.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next