Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

Post  Halcyon Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 am

OCC: yes, yes, no, no. But probably those were rhetorical questions...

Boy Mal, I thought I was busy.You get the busy award.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Nine: Strange Canvases

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:40 am

macksgarageusa wrote:O.o.C.: So I find myself wondering lately: If a person shows, through their continued behaviors and actions to have an absolute aversion to common sense, do they lack intelligence or wisdom? Or both? Does they fact that they claim to be a 'genius' change the answer, or have any effect on the previous query? Just thought I would pose this question to some of my most intelligent and wise friends...feel free to share your input.
OOC: Haha. No clear answer here. The person may be un-intelligent or un-wise ... or she/he may simply lack self-control. Or motivation. Or alternatives they deem acceptable (the person might have set of values and priorities that don't match with what you consider "common sense." In this case, their actions could be both intelligent and wise, even though they appear to be neither to someone with a different set of assumptions).

Merely "Claiming" to be a genius doesn't change the answer; though actually being one might. But let's take a second to define what that means. "Intelligence" comes in many forms (like "wisdom" or "common sense," it is a vague and abstract term). Most people will say smart when what they really mean is "educated." But education isn't a true measure intelligence, because EFFORT is as a big of a factor as intelligence; dilligence and time, memory and understanding. Plus, those same people make assumptions about what it means to be educated (a person who has never been to any sort of school could still have a lifetime of meaningful experiences to draw from). Other people equate intelligence with IQ. But an IQ score isn't some magical measurement of a person's intelligence either. It's just a test. And an IQ score is simply one's test score. That being said, a true IQ test is supposed to measure "raw" intelligence, but what they typically focus on is abstract and lateral thinking; i.e one specific facet of "intelligence." And they are notoriously inaccurate (especially above the so-called genius threshhold). Creativity, cunning, wit, judgement, knowledge, astuteness, ingenuity, insight, vision, awareness, and even talent can all be considered aspects of intelligence.

But one thing we've all learned over the years, some of the most intelligent people we know SEEM to make some of the worst decisions. In some cases, these decsions were truly bad decisions. In other cases, they are simply decisions we don't agree with.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:00 am

Halcyon wrote:OCC: Is it late? Time to make camp, perhaps? If not...
It is late morning to early afternoon.
Halcyon wrote:OCC: Mal - I'm assuming The Emperor's people sent word to the Imperial fleet NOT to battle the dwarves in the Cave Temple just yet. If we should follow up on that then do please let us know.
Yes.
Halcyon wrote:Verity aids Straegis's ritual when they get to the spot by finding a suitable area free of distraction.
This is after you reach the glade, correct?

Last edited by Malazek on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 am

Eventually, the wagon rolls out, with the three heroes headed for the glade where the Beast Glatisant was last seen. The glade isn't too far from Jaru, so the heroes get to it rather quickly. But they do not see/hear their querry on this visit. Davin knows that the barking beast roams an area that is hundreds (or even thousands) of square miles. The odds that it would be here at this very moment are slim at best.

But the woodsman has other plans, doesn't he? The three heroes prepare for a ritual that should aid the woodsman's search.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:56 am

OCC: Sorry, not clear on this point - did the Emperor tell his fleet not to attack the Dwarves?

When the party arrives at the glade Verity offers his assistance with the ritual.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:03 am

Halcyon wrote:OCC: did the Emperor tell his fleet not to attack the Dwarves?
YES
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:32 am

Davin will assist as well, looking to find the most "primal" area to cast the ritual in.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:19 pm

"Davin, lets spend some time and see if we can locate any tracks. If this beast is anything like people, there may be a spot where several of its trails intersect. I feel like that would be the best place to start our search. Remember, the ritual I have has a very limited range."

Halcyon wrote:OCC: yes, yes, no, no. But probably those were rhetorical questions...
O.o.C.: LMAO! Not really rhetorical but only posed because of a frustrating situation I'm dealing with now.

Malazek wrote:OOC: Haha. No clear answer here. (the person might have set of values and priorities that don't match with what you consider "common sense.")
...cunning, wit, judgement, knowledge, astuteness... insight, vision, awareness... can all be considered aspects of intelligence.
O.o.C.: To be honest, its probably not fair to pose this question to you guys with no facts. That being said, I agree with your answer about the objectiveness of "common sense" if we are talking about oh, I don't know, let's say...How to fix a toilet. My question tho, is more closely related to the "common sense" one should have to know when to use one!!!
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Nature (Tracking) - 40 (with Hound's help)

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Davin checks the area roughly where the beast was seen, but no definitive tracks are found. That's to be expected because it has been somne time since then. He does find some marks that COULD be tracks, though (to everyone else, they look like nothing more than the normal shape of mud). Davin, however, pictures an enormous print that has since eroded. It is the only mark he finds where the beast was seen. Even tracking back in the direction the beast is believed to have fled, he finds nothing more.

However, the spot is not all that "primal." It's sort of primal, being away from the bulk of civilization, but it is still too close to Jaru. To find a more primal locale, the heroes would need to travel many miles toward the northwest; into the closest neck of the Malbog.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 pm

O.O.C. - The "primal" statement was made to rationalize Davin's aiding Straegis (the most "primal" spot in the immediate area). Reading the ritual, it looks like it is only of use where the Beast was - we will be "talking" to the area's flora and fauna, correct? If there is a benefit that I don't know about (but Davin does) in casting the ritual in the primal area near the Malbog, please let me know, and Davin will let the others know in turn.

Barring that, would having a 45 on my check instead of a 40 have changed anything? I just realized that I gave you a Nature check instead of a Perception check for Tracking.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:56 am

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - the most "primal" spot in the immediate area).
OOC: Ok, well, then anywhere in this area is fine.

Swifthand wrote:would having a 45 on my check instead of a 40 have changed anything?
Not really.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 pm

O.o.C.: I'll leave the decision of where to perform the ritual up to Davin. I will need some assistance to figure out the question(s) for the ritual. The skill check determines the number of questions we can ask, and remember the answers will probably be in yes or no format.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:26 pm

"This spot should do nicely", says the Ranger, standing over the muddled hoofprint that he believes is the Beast's.

O.O.C. - Let's see how many questions we get, and then discuss what we want to ask.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Swifthand wrote:Let's see how many questions we get, and then discuss what we want to ask.
Good Idea.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Verity stands back and tries not to clink too much.

OCC: I'd hate to be accused of prematurely pontificating but...
I think "Is the Beast Galistant in the area?" [1 mile radius] would be a good opener. Or maybe "Where is the Beast Galistant?" in an effort to get more specific information. The ritual says they usually respond yes or no, not always. Of course that could just get us a really cryptic response. Hmmm.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:38 am

Straegis carefully removes the rare herbs from his pack that he has, setting up the ritual in the exact manner described by his notes. He keeps Davin apprised of the spots where he needs his help and begins the ritual. After about a half an hour, the ritual is complete. He begs the assistance of his allies to determine the questions they will ask.

Nature: 1d20=17+8(half-lvl)=25

O.o.C.: Without adding any assists, we get 3 questions. I'm down with one of the ones posted by Verity. If we get an answer of no, how bout something along the lines of 'Does the beast pass this area often?' Just let me know. Off the subject, six pack of Hefe's down and Princess Bride just came on. This movie is AWESOME! (No matter how many times you've seen it.)
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:43 am

macksgarageusa wrote: Off the subject, six pack of Hefe's down and Princess Bride just came on. This movie is AWESOME! (No matter how many times you've seen it.)

Amen, brother!
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:51 am

OOC: With aid bonuses, you'll easy get four questions.

With the help of his allies, Straegis finishes the ritual ... opening his mind to the surrounding environs. Mother nature is ready to answer.

Questions please.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:23 pm

O.o.C.: Hey I forgot to activate Factotum Helm. That would give another +5 bonus if I use it for Nature. If that will get us another question lemme know and consider it activated. Also, I just subtracted the components for the ritual.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:48 am

OOC: Another +5 would NOT add another question. (25+6=31; +5=36, which would still be in the 30-39 range).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:17 pm

O.o.C.: I'm gonna just go ahead with the first question. I haven't gotten any objections to going with Verity's idea, so...

Straegis relaxes and lets himself feel one with his immediate environment as he begins with the questions. "Is the Beast Galistant in the area?" He awaits the answer, unsure of where it may come from.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:21 am

"NO."

Next Question ...
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:12 pm

O.o.C.: I didn't really want to post another question without some more discussion. I am all for asking next if the beast passes this area often but was hoping for a little help. Let me know.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 pm

O.O.C. - Was the original spot we saw the Beast at in the Malbog? And which direction is the Malbog?

Possible Questions -
  • Did the Beast leave in X direction?
  • Does the Beast return here regularly?
  • Is there a pattern to the Beast's travel?

Can I tell which direction the track I found is headed? My bonus is +28 with Hound Aiding me; if I need a roll, could you roll it? I am at work.

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next