Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

4 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:12 pm

Elodie wrote:Elodie collects the potions
There are three of them.
Elodie wrote:She will also take a moment to study the brazier
Although very old, the brazier seems to be an ordinary vessel of bronze and iron.
Elodie & Jeremiah wrote:"Shall we see what's in ... the chests ...?"
"Whats in the chests?"
Gumphrey pops the two chests open and discovers ....

• A quiver of arrows with banded shafts, exotic fletching, and ornate black heads
  • A pair of ornate leather bracers with golden threads and iron studs
  • A heavy onyx skull (worth about 250 gold)
  • 5000 ancient gold coins
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Elodie reaches for the bracers. attempting to figure out if there is anything special about them. She will also do the same arrows and skull.

Spellcraft check, +10.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Glitz wrote:Elodie reaches for the bracers. attempting to figure out if there is anything special about them. She will also do the same arrows and skull.
Spellcraft check, +10.
Bracers, Magical (Found at the Arx Scopulus)
Aura: Moderate (Conjuration); CL 12th
Slot wrists; Price: 16,000 gp ; Weight 1 lb.
Description: A pair of ornate leather bracers with golden threads and iron studs. When worn over the wrist and lower arm, these items surround the wearer with an invisible, but tangible field of force, granting her/him an armor bonus of +4, just as though she/he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Arrows, Magical, 50x (Found at the Arx Scopulus)
Aura: Moderate (Universal); CL 9th
Slot: None; Price: 18,002 gp 5 sp; Weight 8 lb.
Description: A quiver of 50 arrows with banded shafts, exotic fletching, and ornate black heads. Each arrow carries a +3 enhancement bonus.

The skull is not magical.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Elodie will pass the arrows to Jeremiah and explains their power. "I think these will be useful for you...and I think that these will be useful for me, if that's okay with you two?" Elodie puts the bracers on, testing out the fit.

After inspecting the items in the chest, Elodie returns to the strange circles on the floor. "Do you think some sort of ritual caused the humming noise?" Elodie kneels and inspects one of the circles closely.

Spellcraft check, +10.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Jeremiah will throw the arrows into his quiver.

"I agree, we could both use the braces, but you need them more then me. We can sell the skull and divide the gold between the three of us back at the guild hall."

Elodie wrote:"Do you think some sort of ritual caused the humming noise?"

"I'm not sure, but as soon as your done will head back."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"I'm not sure, but as soon as your done will head back."
"Head back?" Gumphrey asks. "Did you already check out that whole southern wing? With the crypts and stone horses and stuff?"
Elodie wrote:"Do you think some sort of ritual caused the humming noise?" Elodie kneels and inspects one of the circles closely.
Elodie is fairly convinced that these are some sort of summoning circles, used for conjuration magicks (possibly the kind of creatures Talmut cavorts with, but more likely something more sinister or fiendish). Perhaps this dead mage was communing with demons or something, and one of them killed him ... or maybe someone else killed him, to stop his evil doings? It's hard to say.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:15 am

Gumphrey wrote:"Head back?" Gumphrey asks. "Did you already check out that whole southern wing? With the crypts and stone horses and stuff?"

"That is true, however, I will leave it up to the group. I was under the impression the town may need help fending off giants. Elodie, what would you like to do? Finish off this dungeon or head back to provide assistance? I'm 50/50 to be honest"

OOC: Without Talmut here I wasn't sure if we wanted to finish off his quest line or "throw it on the ground!"
OOC2: Thanks again for the blanket you guys gave Addalyn, we use it all the time.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:11 pm

OOC: lol@"throw it on the ground", but we might as well finish exploring while we're here! Also, I am very happy that you guys are enjoying the blanket :)hopefully I will get to meet the rest of your family one day!

"We might as well finish exploring while we are here. It looked like the vicereine had plenty of troops, so I don't think we'll be missed. I think I'm done in here--these circles can probably be used to summon something, but that's all I can tell. Before we move on, though, should we carry these chests with the coins back up to Flint at the entrance? After that, we can head to the kitchen! And then the crypts and stone horses, okay?"

Elodie is prepared to move on, unless anyone else has a different idea.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Elodie wrote:"We might as well finish exploring while we are here. It looked like the vicereine had plenty of troops, so I don't think we'll be missed. I think I'm done in here--these circles can probably be used to summon something, but that's all I can tell. Before we move on, though, should we carry these chests with the coins back up to Flint at the entrance? After that, we can head to the kitchen! And then the crypts and stone horses, okay?"

"Sounds fine, after you.."

OOC: I told Jeff next time your in town we should all do something...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:55 pm

OOC: Sorry, my day has been pretty hectic. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post. But then, it's off to the "kitchen."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:34 pm

So, after hauling the chests over to where Flint is standing guard, the heroes move to the door that should lead to where the map is labelled "kitchen." Gumphrey quickly checks the door for traps, but finds none.

Past the door, the hall seems very much like the others, with unadorned walls of tan stone and and a sand-covered floor.

At the end of the hall, the party finds what appears to be an old kitchen. A recessed fireplace sits in the southern wall, cold from disuse. Old logs and tinder still sit in the dog irons, evidence that it hasn't quite been "centuries" since it was used (it has probably a decade or two, but not centuries). A large iron cauldron sits on the floor in front of the hearth, flanked by two stout wooden tables. Dusty pots and pans, utensils, and glassware rest upon the table. Along the east wall sits two shelving units, dominated by old jars and dust. The jars appear to be filled with stale spices, but not much else.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 MittenTracks18_zps6b7bdafc
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm

Elodie looks around for a moment, and is then ready to move on. "Hmm. Doesn't look like there's much in here for us...shall we move on to the next hallway?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Looking at Gumphrey...

"Well, if you don't see any secret doors like before we can move forward to the crypts."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

Gumphrey finds no concealed doors, traps, or other secrets in the kitchen.

So, the party backs out to the main chamber, where Gumphrey checks the next door for traps or other signs of danger. After a moment of looking, he says "Well, there's no traps, but there is a lock. Weird thing is: it's locked from the other side. Anyone can open it from this side; I just have to turn this little knob right here. That's weird, right? Should I go ahead and open it?"

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 MittenTracks19_zps6ba8c390
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 pm

"Maybe we should disable it to be safe."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Gumphrey disables the lock, as Jeremiah suggested, and pushes the door open ... revealing a dimly lit tunnel that seems to turn after about forty feet. Light flickers against the far wall, as if the source of the light is a flame somewhere around the corner.

Gumphrey proceeds, cautiously.

When he reaches the turn, he is surprised to discover a lit torch in a sconce on the wall. On the left sits a pair of broad alcoves; the first one, at least, holds a standing sarcophagus. Looking at the map, Gumphrey voices his suspicion that there should be ten sarcophagi, in all (if the number of alcoves on the map is accurate).

About five yards ahead of him, another arched tunnel leads to the south.

"Shall we continue?"

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 MittenTracks20_zps9fb734d0
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:20 pm

"Do you think these sarcophagi are safe to open, Gumphrey? I'd like to see what's inside." Elodie stops in front of the first sarcophagus and looks at it longingly.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 pm

"Yeah, I think so."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 pm

At Gumphrey's approval, Elodie attempts to open the sarcophagus.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

"Do we have to? The dead have always given me the creeps."

Jeremiah will assist with searching the sarcophagi with the others.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Elodie digs her fingers in behind the heavy sarcophagus lid, and slowly pries it away from heavy stone casket. As the lid pivots out of the way and to the side, an ancient mummy is revealed.

It seems to have been mummified by the same process that was used on the ancient lizard-man you found before, except this corpse was probably human. Wrapped in moldering linen strips, desiccated gray flesh peeks through around the eyes, mouth, and fingers. Furthermore, this ancient corpse is adorned with jewelry made of gold and lapis lazuli. The stench of dust and mold wafts at you, as soon as the sarcophagus is opened.

Jeremiah and Gumphrey loom behind her, trying to inspect the "goods" from over her shoulder.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Elodie reaches into the sarcophagus, attempting to free the jewelry from the mummified curse. "Well, I don't think he'll miss these jewels, right? I'm sorry this gives you the creeps, Jeremiah...but maybe some extra gold will make up for it!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 am

While Elodie searches this sarcophagus...

"Come on e Gumphrey lets clear the rest of this wing, I'm still wondering who lit that torch."

Jeremiah will clear the rest of this wing, skipping the sarcophagi for the moment.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:51 pm

As Elodie peels the jewelry from the mummy, Jeremiah and Gumphrey move forward. On the right, lies an arched tunnel, which leads to another torch-lit area. "Shall we?" Gumphrey suggests, rhetorically. As soon as the two of them entered the short, dim section of the crypts, all of the sarcophagi open at once! Shambling, decrepit mummies pour out with alarming speed, quickly surrounding the heroes.

Surprise Round
The mummies lumber into position. Worst of all, the one closest to Elodie (the one whose trinkets she was stealing) slams his bony hand against her head, and does so with inhuman strength!

- OOC: Since you only get ONE action during a surprise round, they cannot attack right away ... except for the one that was already adjacent to Elodie. 
- Slam Attack = 16 (2 on the die); hit. 9 damage plus Mummy Rot
- Elodie's Fort Save = 13 vs. 16 Fail. Elodie contracts Mummy Rot.

Round 1
OOC: Initiatives will be as follows ...
- Jeremiah 19
- Gumphrey 10
- Mummies 5
- Elodie 3

OOC: Go ahead and post your actions.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 13 MittenTracks21_zps5b899fb0
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 pm

"Ouch!" Elodie takes a step backward, raising her hands and attempting to summon a familiar ball of fire as she does so.

Cast Flaming Sphere at I20.
Cast defensively, concentration check: 21 (11 + 7 Druid Level + 4 Wis)
Damage (3d6): 9 (5 + 2 + 2)

GM Edit: Does "take a step backward" mean move 5' back? I am going to assume it does.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next