Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

4 posters

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Malazek Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 pm

OOC: Sorry, it's been a long day and I'm too tired to give this next post the attention it deserves. So, I am going to wait until tomorrow to respond. Hopefully, I'll have more energy by then.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens

Post  Swifthand Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm

As will Talmut.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Finally, the party leaves the bedroom area and works their way back toward the room where the golems stood guard. All the way down the hall, Jeremiah is able to identify the party's tracks, the golem tracks, and even the sandal tracks. Once inside the room, the sandal tracks continue on, through the same door that Elodie's fire spirit went through during your battle ... but according to the reports of Talmut's summoned creatures, the libraries are to the right and left.

Gumphrey leads the march toward the north, stopping at the massive oak doors that guard the library. Intricately carved, the face of the door displays a vivid image in brightly painted bas relief: that of three wizards, huddled around a black orb. Beneath them, claws and talons stretch upward from a field of fire. Above them floats the sun, the moon, and three other orb-like heavenly bodies.

Gumphrey cautiously checks for traps. He finds one, but quickly disarms it. He then sets to work picking the lock, which he does so with ease. With all security measures out of the way, the Shadow Man kicks open the double-doors to reveal a vast library!

Inside, the party finds a wide room with a high vaulted ceiling. The same sandy floors sits beneath you, with the same dull stone walls and ceiling ... but all around the perimeter of the room, rests high wooden book cases; every shelf packed with reading material. Furthermore, four column-like structures jut up from the floor, surrounded on four sides by even more bookshelves! Atop each of the four squares cases, sits a gargoyle-like statue, sculpted to look down upon center of the room.

In the very center of the room, where meets the gargoyles' gaze, sits a slender pedestal supporting a heavy tome. Talmut immediately recognizes the tome as a magical grimoire, though it is heavier (and surely older) than most.

Gumphrey examines the book for traps, but finds nothing.

Jeremiah finds no new tracks in this room, either.

OOC: I have an updated map, but Photobucket is down, atm. I'll add the map as soon Photobucket is back up.

GM Edit: OOC: There ya go ...

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 7 MittenTracks6_zpsd699ec22
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm

Elodie steps aside to allow Talmut better access to the ancient book in the center of the room, placing her hand on his shoulder and calling upon the spirits to aid him in his examination of the tome, if he choses to. She then allows her mind to explore the room, looking for magical objects. She is especially concerned about the statues. If she does not detect any magical powers in the statues, she will give them a physical examination. 

Cast Guidance on Talmut.

Cast Detect Magic.

If necessary...
Perception check, +14.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:19 am

While the party searches the library, Jeremiah will head back out to the area where the golems stood guard. Once he is out there he himself will stand guard, keeping an eye out for mittens or the person in sandals.

"I'll be out here if you guys need me.."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:11 pm

As Elodie moves to enter the room, Talmut placing a cautioning hand on her shoulder, stopping her from entering.

"I believe those gargoyles are the guardians of this room.  Are either of you familiar with gargoyles?  If we enter their lair, it is my belief they will most likely attack us.  Prepare yourselves for battle."

Using the Rod of the Chameleon Lord, Talmut will cast Summon Monster 4, 4th level version of a Lantern Archon.

"Perhaps it would be best if we draw them out of the room to us?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am

In Celestial - "Servitor of Good, I thank you for your aid.  Please detect the presence of evil in the library ahead."

Talmut readies his Acid Arrow to fire at the first unfriendly that moves toward the group.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:05 am

Elodie wrote:If she does not detect any magical powers in the statues, she will give them a physical examination. 
Talmut wrote:As Elodie moves to enter the room, Talmut placing a cautioning hand on her shoulder, stopping her from entering.
"I believe those gargoyles are the guardians ... Prepare yourselves for battle."
Elodie does not sense any magical auras around the statues themselves, but the book itself is definitely emanating a powerful aura. Before she can get a closer look at the gargoyles, however, Talmut stops her.

- OOC: Does Elodie heed Talmut's warning? Or does she examine the statues anyway?
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will head back out to t ... stand guard
Jeremiah exits the room, placing himself in a position to watch over the dark room behind the party.
Talmut wrote:"If we enter their lair, it is my belief they will most likely attack us."
Looking around the room, Gumphrey asks "Where is their lair? Do you think there's a secret door somewhere? Oh no! Maybe it's this entire room? Maybe we're already in their lair!"
Talmut wrote:Using the Rod of the Chameleon Lord, Talmut will cast Summon Monster 4, 4th level version of a Lantern Archon.
The floating orb appears, hovering near Talmut, eagerly awaiting its orders.
Talmut wrote:"Perhaps it would be best if we draw them out of the room to us?"
Gumphrey nods and then moves to join Jeremiah in the guard room. Talmut does, too.
- OOC: Does Elodie?
Talmut wrote:In Celestial - "Servitor of Good, I thank you for your aid.  Please detect the presence of evil in the library ahead."
Responding, in the angelic tongue, the glowing orb says "Yes, there is a great evil before us."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:18 am

Malazek wrote:Gumphrey nods and then moves to join Jeremiah in the guard room. Talmut does, too.
- OOC: Does Elodie?

"Smart thinking," Elodie thanks Talmut for the world of caution before following the group into the center room, keeping a close watch on the hallway. "If we can lure them into the hallway, it's going to get very warm for a minute...so watch your step," Elodie cautions the group as she moves into position. She raises her hands, ready to summon a fiery burning wall if the gargoyles enter the hallway.

Ready an action: summon Wall of Fire (running sideways from U8 to U11) if the gargoyles enter the hallway. The "hot" side of the wall will be towards column V on the map.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:27 pm

"Jeremiah, your arrows will cause the least amount of collateral damage to the library.  At your say, woodsman.  Archon, engage the gargoyles as they leave the room."

Talmut's readied action will still apply; he will be careful that the objects in the library are not damaged, waiting until the garg's get to the doorway before firing his Acid Arrow.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Now that the entire party has retreated to the room with the fallen golems, the gargoyles are again cloaked in darkness. The book in the center of the library remains dimly visible, barely illuminated by the furthest extent of your various light sources. Moments pass, but no gargoyles emerge from the library doors.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 am

"Now that the light has left the room I can no longer see the Gargoyles, was there lanterns or candles in the room that could be lit? Or, perhaps a spell to illuminate the room?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:06 pm

"I didn't see any,” Gumphrey replies, "I but I can lob a torch into the room, if you think it will help."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Elodie reaches into one of her many pockets and fishes out a copper coin. She holds it up for a moment, concentrating until it begins to glow. She then tosses it down the hallway, into the library. "That better? I figure we don't want to set anything on fire unless we have to..."

Cast Light on copper piece.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 am

OOC: Can I see the Gargoyles now, or do we need more light?
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:56 am

The glowing coin sails down the hall and comes to a sudden halt when it hits the sandy floor. The magical light floods the library, illuminating the books and the gargoyles, whose grotesque faces are still staring at the heavy tome in the middle of the room.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Jeremiah will knock an arrow and fire at one of the gargoyles.

"Let's just see if this will get their attention."

MW.C.L.Bow: 14 + 12 = 26    DMG: 4 + 3 = 7
MW.C.L.Bow: 10 + 7 = 17     DMG: 2 + 3 = 5
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Both of Jeremiah's arrows strike the gargoyles, but bounce harmlessly off their stony exteriors.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:31 pm

"Hmmm...That seemed to have no effect. Maybe they don't respond unless the book is tampered with, or, I can always try running up to one and hitting him with my axe as well."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:10 pm

"Well, I guess I am wrong again.  Common theme."

Talmut will stride into the now well-lighted library and begin examining the book, as originally suggested by Elodie.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

"Better safe than sorry!" Elodie says as she follows Talmut into the room. She will continue with her original plan, summoning spirits to help Talmut as he inspects the tome, and then closely inspect the gargoyles.

Cast Guidance on Talmut.
Perception check on gargoyles, +14.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Talmut wrote:"Well, I guess I am wrong again.  Common theme."
OOC: Actually, you were "mostly" right.

Surprise Round R & R ...

As soon as Talmut touches the book, the Gargoyles come to life and swoop down around the party ... all except one, who turns on his perch to strike the floating archon with his vile claws.

- The Garg's readied actions trigger, thus starting the surprise round. Three Garg's move into position. The last one attacks the archon.
- Saves vs. the Archon's Aura of Menace (DC 13) = 11, 19, 7, 23 (Failure, Success, Failure, Success)
- 21 to hit the archon, 7 damage.  The attack bypasses the archon's DR.
- As a result of the readied action, the Garg's initiatives all become 21 (just ahead of Talmut).

Initiative for Round 1 ...
- Gargoyles: 21
- Talmut/Archon: 20
- Jeremiah: 15
- Gumphrey: 10
- Elodie: 5

Round 1 R & R ...

Init 21
The Garg's attack!

Caught in the middle of the ambush, Talmut is assaulted by two of the wicked creatures. Their claws and teeth and horns all trying to slay the foreign spell-caster. Fortunately, Talmut's cloak absorbs most of the impact, so the wizard survives ... but not unscathed.
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore Attack = 10 (12-2), 13 (15-2), 15 (17-2), and 9 (11-2) to hit (All Misses).
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore Attack = 9, 23, 26, 9 to hit (two hits, two misses); 6 damage, 3 damage

A third monster attacks Elodie from behind, half killing her with its barrage of natural weapons.
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore Attack = 24 (26-2), 14 (16-2), 12 (14-2), and 23 (25-2) to hit (three hits, one miss); 7, 8, and 4 damage (19 total)

The last continues to press the Archon, rending at tearing the floating agent of righteousness.
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore Attack = 26, 16, 14, 25 to hit (three hits, one miss); 3, 6, and 2 damage (11 total); the archon has 8 HPs left.

Init 20 and later ...
OOC: Actions, please.

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 7 MittenTracks7_zpsa5ddb175
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:06 pm

Elodie shrieks in surprise, recovering after a second. She reaches for her wand and heals herself.

Use Wand of Cure Serious Wounds on self. Cures 26 HP (Elodie is back at max HP with 19, though). 
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:00 am

Jeremiah will move up to U9 attacking the gargoyle in U8 with his mighty axe.

M.H. Axe: 5 + 12 = 17  DMG: 8
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm

R&R - Round 1 - Continued ...

Init 20
OOC: Rule-24

Conjuring on the defensive, Talmut will summon another acid dart.
- Concentration = 26
- Ranged Touch Attack (vs. T6) = 23 (Hit); 8 Damage.

The Archon will float slowly away from the attacking Gargoyle, and then beam it with a pair of searing rays.
- Move = 5' step to W7
- Light Ray vs. T6 = 11 (Miss)
- Light Ray vs. T6 = 11 (Miss)

Init 15
Jeremiah rushes forward, drawing his axes as he moves. At the end of his charge, he buries his magical axe into a gargoyle's shoulder.

Init 10
Concerned for his friend Talmut, Gumphrey buries his magical dagger into a Gargoyle's back.
- Attack Roll = 18 (Hit); Damage = 24 Damage.
- The dagger also drains 3 HPs from Gumphrey.

Init 5
Elodie uses her wand to heal her own wounds.

R&R - Round 2 ...

Init 21
The gargoyle standing between Gumphrey and Talmut begins to beg for its life. "No, please! Spare me! Don't kill me! I didn't mean it!"

The other three continue to attack: one assaults Talmut, one attacks Elodie, and the other pursues the Archon.
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore vs Talmut = 24 (26-2), 16 (18-2), 13 (15-2), 9 (11-2); 1 hit; 5 Damage
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore vs Elodie= 10 (12-2), Natch-20 (Verified w/another 20), 11 (13-2), 17 (19-2); 1 Crit plus 1 Hit; 7 Damage, 5 Damage
- Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore vs the Archon = Natch-1, 14, 12, 14 (All Misses).

Init 20 and later
OOC: That's you ...

Adventure #4 - The Incorrigible Mr. Mittens - Page 7 MittenTracks8_zps2fb48c1c
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next