Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

+2
Glitz
Malazek
6 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad - Page 8 Empty Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 am

Jeremiah climbs down the tree and begins to collect his arrows. When he is done he looks over the corpses of the Ogres and says, "Anyone feel like searching these two?" He then heads over to the barking dog with some meat in his hand and offers it up, keeping the cave entrance in the corner of his eye as he tries to settle the dog down...

Perception Check: 7 + 7 = 14
Wild Empathy: 14 + 0 = 14

OOC: I liked the maps better personally, but, TotM worked as well. So if you don't have time to make the map, I wouldn't stress to much about it. Both ways are acceptable by me..
OOC2: It looks like they changed the forum posting tools, it seems my table is blown out now. When I get some time I'll have to try and fix it...
OOC3: As far as the party inventory goes, to be clear the horse Stephen was on and all the supplies on that horse are no longer with us correct?

GM Edit: OOC: Your table still looks the same on my screen. The REPLY & EDIT windows do look different, though. I'm not sure what caused it to change. Also, you are correct, Stephen's horse is no longer with you. Most of the gear, however, was moved to another horse and is still with you; everything EXCEPT the case of healing potions.

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 pm

In total, Jeremiah fired six arrows in this location. He finds them all, but three of them are broken.

As soon as he comes within view of the dog, the lowly creature jumps up and charges forward, barking ferociously and leaving a trail of mouth-foam behind him. When he reaches then end of his chain, he is suddenly jerked to a halt ... but that doesn't stop him from trying. The leather collar begins to dig in to its neck as it tries with all of its might to get at Jeremiah.

As Jeremiah draws closer, he gets a better look at the cur's mangy, scabby hide; patches of fur have been torn out all over the dog's body. His ears are torn and his claws are filthy and broken. Hordes of tiny bugs infect his blood-shot eyes. His scrawny limbs and swollen belly are a clear sign of starvation.

Jeremiah offers the dog a piece of day old meat and tries to calm the beast, but the dog is clearly unswayed by the peace offering. After a moment, the trapper tosses the morsel to where the dog can get at it. The dog stops and stares at the meat for a second, but then resumes barking ... for a moment. He growls as his gaze wonders back to the meat. But then he barks again. He looks to Jeremiah and then back to the meat. Finally, he gives a final bark before picking up the meat and returning with it to where you first saw him.

Jeremiah does NOT get the feeling he has befriended this animal ... he has merely appealed to its base instincts.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Jeremiah looks to Maius, "Is there anything we can do for this beast? Or, is it best I just put him out of his misery with an arrow?" Then turning back to the dog, Jeremiah tosses a few more pieces of meat.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Elodie watches Jeremiah attempt to befriend the dog and fail. She moves a little closer, being careful to stay out of range. Gazing at the dog for a minute, she contemplates if anything can be done for the poor creature.

Heal check: 13 (4+9)
Knowledge (nature) check: 26 (18+8)

If Elodie thinks that they can save the dog, she will say so; if the dog looks beyond care, she will agree to putting it out of its misery.

GM Edit: Elodie is fairly sure that treating this dog is beyond her abilities or the abilities of anyone present.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Saddened by the life that this dog must have lived, Elodie says to Jeremiah, "It's probably best to go ahead and put him down--just make it quick, please."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:16 am

As the dog seems to enjoy his last meal, Jeremiah regretfully knocks an arrow in his bow. He then aims at the dog and releases an arrow...

L. Bow: 12 + 4 = 16 | DMG: 7

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 am

After Jeremiah puts the dog out of his misery, he heads towards the mouth of the cave and begins to search. "I'll search the cave, but, someone should search the corpses as well."

Perception Check: 16 + 7 = 23

OOC: He is not only looking for loots, he is always trying to determine how many inhabitants this cave has. He also wants to determine if this cave would be a good place to make camp for the night.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

O.O.C. - Can I dump a spell to learn Mage Hand?  If so, I will use it to search the ogres, if not, I will wait until tomorrow and do it.

GM Edit: OOC: No, you cannot dump a spell. I know that rule existed in some version of the game, but I'm not sure which. Page 218 of the PF book says you "cannot, however, abandon a previously prepared spell to replace it with another one."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:15 pm

O.o.C.: Apologies for delay, family in town for visit this week. But, WHOA! Dead? Holy moly! I think thats the last time I miss a day! And... I don't care for the new look in the reply screen. No cursor makes it difficult to edit while posting.

Sitting up, Maius coughs and spits a little blood. "Maybe I'll think twice before taunting giants in their own language next time!" Maius agrees to help looting the bodies and if Elodie still needs attention he will help her with some encouraging words

Standard: Cast Cure Light Wounds (if necessary): d8+1=2 (w00t! great roll)
Move: Search bodies, Perception: d20=12

GM Edit: So, Elodie regains 2 hit points?
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 pm

After the first arrow strikes the dog, the miserable creature yelps ... and then renews his barking as he charges forward again at top speed. This time, he hits the end of the chain so hard that it jerks him off his feet. Then, Jeremiah finishes him off with another arrow.

Cautiously, Jeremiah enters the cave. It appears to be a natural cave, except that the "ceiling" is now roughly supported by a small tree trunk that the ogres must have dragged in here and put into place. The ground is soft and surprising level; an indication that some sort of muddy flooding must have taken place in the recent past. Large cubby holes on either side of the cave are stuffed with leaves and hay, as well as layers upon layers of animal hides; probably where the two younger ogres slept during the day. A wide, stone-ringed fire pit dominates the floor between the entrance and the support trunk. Otherwise, he finds nothing in the first chamber, besides old bones, a few broken javelins, and a moldy canvas sack.

At the back of the cave, however, Jeremiah can see where the cave climbs onward and upward. Peering into the darkness, he can tell that another chamber rests deeper inside the hill, at the top of the semi-vertical shaft, maybe 15 or 20 feet above the "floor" of the first chamber. It doesn't appear to be too tough of a climb, but he will need a light source of some type (and probably someone to hold it).

_____

After healing Elodie, Maius begins to "muddy" his hands by searching the two dung-covered ogres. Both are wearing layer upon layer of worn-out animal hides, fur boots, and rawhide bracers. Under their armor, both are wearing necklaces made of fingers, teeth, and twine. One of them was wearing a thick leather girdle, while the other had a belt made of rope. They each had two or three small pouches hanging from their belts.

In the pouches, Maius finds a few chunks of rotten meat, one wedge of moldy cheese, a short bit of frayed rope, half dozen rocks, and 7 copper pieces. He also finds a metal jug, half full with cheap brandy. Aside from those few things, the corpses offer little of interest.

Last edited by Malazek on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:38 am; edited 4 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Talmut will join Jerimiah inside for the search.  Seeing the need for light, I shrug.

"I do not have a torch"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Regaining a bit of her strength, Elodie follows Jeremiah and Talmut into the cave. When she hears Talmut tell Jeremiah that he does not have a torch, she heads back out of the cave and retrieves a torch from the saddle bag of one of the horses, hoping to aid in the search of the cave.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:35 am

With the tunnel illuminated, Jeremiah easily climbs to the next chamber, which proves to be much smaller. There, he finds another bed of hides and debris, probably belonging to "Pa." Next to the bed, he finds a small wooden chest with a large iron lock; rust and water-stains mar the surface.

At the back of the chamber, there appears to be another tunnel ... but a heavy slab of stone has been placed in front it, blocking any attempt to get through. As long as nothing strong enough to move the slab comes through that tunnel, both chambers appear to be fairly safe ... if the party wanted to camp here.

OOC: Taking-10 on the climb check, Jeremiah gets a 16.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:26 am

After searching the cave Jeremiah recommends to the party that they tie up the horses and make camp here. He then grabs a large stone and tries to break the iron lock protecting the small wooden chest.

Strength Check: 15 + 2 = 17

After beating on the lock he decides to go set some traps for the night and to start making camp. When his traps are set he will eat some dinner and smoke his pipe.

"I will take first watch..."

OOC: We should try and move the boulder in the morning...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Elodie unpacks her bedroll, finding a secluded spot in the cave (first room if it's safe enough, but she's willing to make the climb if necessary). After getting her things set up, she wanders out of the cave once again and gazes at the dog, saddened by what needed to be done. 

OOC: Is it too late for Elodie to dig a grave for the animal? 

GM Edit: No, it's not too late.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 pm

JEREMIAH ...

When Jeremiah strikes the lock, it breaks right open, spilling flakes of rust out onto the cave floor. He then gathers his traps and leaves the cave to set them for the night. By the time he returns, Elodie has nearly finished burying the dead dog. So, Jeremiah makes camp and begins preparing dinner, smoking his pipe while it waits.

OOC: Should I assume "makes camp" means a make-shift shelter and a bedding of leaves, just like last time?

OOC: Also, I didn't know if you wanted to open the chest. You got the lock off, though, for now.

ELODIE ...

Elodie sets up her bedroll in the first chamber and heads outside to bury the dog. By the time she finishes, Jeremiah has returned from setting his traps, and has begun his own camp preparations.

TALMUT and/or MAIUS ...

After investigating the second chamber, Jeremiah climbs back down and suggests you bring the horses inside. He then exits the cave with some steel traps in hand. Elodie sets the torch near the fire pit, grabs a shovel, and heads out to bury the dog. 

OOC: Does anybody bring the horses inside? What else (if anything) are you doing before Elodie and Jeremiah get back?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:28 pm

While Jeremiah smokes he will look through the chest.

OOC: I will just camp in the cave, setting up my bed roll in the upper chamber...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:13 pm

When Jeremiah lifts the lid of the chest, he hears a distinctive "click" ... the hidden mechanism inside the lid launches a tiny dart at whoever happens opens the chest. The dart punctures Jeremiah's forearm, causing it to bleed. Peering down at it, Jeremiah notices a green liquid substance oozing from the barrel of the dart and dripping down to the tip. Undoubtedly some of it got into his veins, but whatever effect the poison has, he doesn't feel it ... yet.

Trap's Attack Roll = 28 (Hit)
Dart Damage = 2 Damage to Jeremiah
Jeremiah's FIRST Fortitude Save = 20

Also inside the chest, he notices a large iron key, two "spare" darts, a glass vial of the same green liquid, a trephined human skull, ten gold pieces, and a wooden case containing a single black arrow.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:29 pm

"I knew it...looks like poison to."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:32 pm

"I will take second watch."

Seeing Jeremiah take the take the poisoned dart, Talmut moves to get Elodie.

"Jeremiah has been injured by a poisoned dart!"

Later, Talmut will camp in the cave with the others.  He also leads the horses into the cave.  Finally, after Jeremiah has been taken care of, the conjuror will inspect the chest's contents.

Cast Detect Magic. 
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:35 pm

After she finishes burying the dog, Elodie dusts off her hands and returns to the cave. She has just entered when she hears Talmut looking for her. "Poison? Is he okay?" She heads toward the second chamber.

Climb check: taking 10

Elodie climbs into the second chamber and moves towards Jeremiah, inspecting the dart wound.

Heal check: 20 (11+9)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Elodie climbs up to meet Jeremiah. Talmut struggles to follow her, but manages to do so. When she has reached the chamber, Elodie examines Jeremiah (as well as the dart) and determines that Jeremiah has already suffered the worst of it ... but he was lucky. These types of poisons can make someone very, very sick.

While she does that, Talmut casts a spell and examines the chest that Jeremiah has just opened. He detects the presence of a magical aura. A few seconds later, he determines there is but one aura, but it is a strong aura ... after closer scrutiny, he discerns that the aura is coming from the black arrow. He is able to tell that the arrow was imbued with some sort of necromancy, but he is unable to identify the item's properties ... or its history.

Know: Arcana check (to identify school) = 29 (20 on the die)
Spellcraft check to identify properties = 15 (6 one the die)
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:04 pm

"You'll be fine, but consider yourself lucky--this poison could've done terrible things to you." Elodie turns towards Talmut and the chest, watching him examine what's in the chest. She also tries to peer inside, catching a glimpse of a glass vial with a green liquid that appears very similar to the one oozing out of Jeremiah's arm. "Anything special?" Elodie asks Talmut. "Do you mind if I take a closer look at that vial?" If Talmut acknowledges her request, Elodie will take the vial and examine it. 

Heal check (to determine the identity and/or affects of the potion): 18 (9 + 9)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:18 pm

O.o.C.: Cant even hardly post, tried to edit what i wrote before pushing send. Ended up having to log out and sign back in (TWICE) just so I could make a reply.

Maius gathers his caltrops before making his way in the cave. He will gladly help with any tasks that need to be completed before the group settles for the night. He finds a smooth spot in the main room, away from the entrance, and sets up his bedroll. He votes for bringing the horses in the cave but positioning them between himself and the entrance.

GM Edit: OOC: That's no good. Why, what's happening? Is it just not letting you send it? Or what?
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43 am

After examining the substance inside the vial, Elodie identifies it as "greenblood oil." It's a poison made from the blood of certain subterranean fish. It's a fast-acting poison, but it's not very reliable ... it can be deleterious to the victims health and stamina, but it is rarely lethal (even left untreated).

After a bit, she checks Jeremiah again and still finds no evidence that the poison has had any effect on him.

After Talmut and Maius bring the horses in, the party finishes their meals and other preparations, and settles in for the evening. It's later than it was when they retired the night before. Jeremiah sets his bedroll in the higher chamber, while the rest of the party places theirs around the fire pit in the lower chamber.

A discussion of the watch rotation takes place; since Talmut has volunteered for second watch this time, but Jeremiah will still need to check his traps in a few hours, is it decided that the rotation should be Maius, Talmut, Jeremiah, Elodie.

OOC: I hope no one minds this rotation; only two possible permutations would allow Talmut to go second and Jeremiah to go third. Since Maius previously stated he would take ANY watch, this seemed like the most likely outcome. So, to avoid a day of watch discussion, I just decided for you.

OOC: I adjusted the rations in the party inventory to account for dinner.

Half the night passes with no interruptions. Maius's watch is uneventful. Talmut's is equally peaceful.

On his watch, Jeremiah goes out and checks his traps. When he returns, he has a couple of small pelts and enough meat to supplement the party's next meal (he may have enough for the entire meal, by morning). The campsite looks undisturbed. 

Pro: Trapping Check = 17 (Take 10)

On Elodie's watch, she notices that the horses aren't looking so good. After examining then, she realizes they are hungry and thirsty. They will need to be taken out and allowed to drink and graze freely, as soon as the party wakes up. After a few hours on watch, Elodie thinks dawn has arrived. Its still pretty dark, thanks to the surrounding mountains, but she can see a faint glow of sunlight, behind the silhouettes of the looming mountains.

Heal check = 19 (Take 10)

OOC: Does Elodie wake the others? If so, then what is everyone doing first thing in the morning?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next