Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

+2
Glitz
Malazek
6 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad Empty Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek Sun May 19, 2013 4:41 pm

You have all come to Umbrafall, in search of adventure. Some of you have come seeking riches or lost secrets, while others have come to make a name for yourselves. Whatever your reasons, you have come via the Olde Imp Road and reached the city late this morning. With barely a cloud in sight, the sun is unusually bright for such an early spring day; not too hot mind you, but comfortably warm. Rumors of an "Adventurers' Guild" prompted you to pass by the Eastgate Inn and head directly to the north side of the city.

The Adventurers' Guild appears to consist of three wooden buildings, surrounded by a palisade; a stable, an inn, and a general store. Near the gate, however, signs have been hung that read "Seasoned Adventurers Only," "No Vacancy," and "First timers should meet Randal Woods at the Jolly Toad." So, heeding the signs, you have made your way to the Jolly Toad.

Just a few buildings away, the Jolly Toad appears to be a rustic wooden building with an unattached stable, and is a much older inn than the one on the guild lot. A smiling frog, carved from a small boulder in the yard, gives the inn its name.

Inside is just as you'd expect; lacquered wood makes up the walls, the floor, the ceiling, and even the bar itself; while impressive antlers and other trophies hang numerously on every wall. Chandeliers holding lit candles dangle from the ceiling, illuminating the many tables that crowd the common room floor. A stout field-stone fireplace warms one end of the room, while a performer entertains from a small stage at the other end. In fact, a lone lyrist has just finished his song. "We work on tips, folks, so if you want me to keep playing ... well, just toss a few coins my way."

The common room itself is rather busy, full of travelers and regulars alike. Some of the patrons are enjoying an animated game of six-bone at the center table, while others are content with just the food and drink.

Two signs near the door display the menu and services of the Jolly Toad.

JOLLY TOAD MENU
Endless Stew (Kept Simmering 30 Years) … 5 cp
Aunt Polly’s Pudding … 1 sp
Vegetable Broth … 3 cp
Vegetable Broth with Marrow Dumplings … 1 sp
Fried Cow-heel … 8 cp
Simple Bread & Cheese … 1 sp
Brown Ale … 4 cp
Flaming Schnapps (Pear Brandy) … 1 gp

JOLLY TOAD ROOMS
Private Meeting Room (One Hour) … 5 sp
Private Room … 15 sp
Private Suite … 4 gp
Sleeping Space on Floor … 1 cp
Sleeping Space near the Fire … 5 cp

JOLLY TOAD AMENITIES
Bath (Cold) … 2 cp
Bath (Hot) … 5 cp
Chamber Pot (Loan of) … 2 cp
Stabling (with Grooming and Feed) … 2 sp
Laundry Service … 3 cp per article
Garment Repair … Varies

The barkeep is a tall, middle-aged man who seems genuinely friendly as he chats with his regulars sitting at the bar. His barman, who is noticeably less tall and more haggard, is waiting tables in the common area. A young woman, who is obviously related to the barkeep, approaches you and says "Sit anywhere ya like, if ya can find a seat. An' what can I get for ya?"

OOC: Go ahead and make your entrances. Describe your character, if you feel so inclined. If you had wares to sell on your way in, you can assume you've sold them already (before coming to the inn). Subtract the cost of any purchases you make, unless your cost of living removes the need to do so (Poor, average, and wealthy characters do not have to track purchases of less than 1 sp, 1 gp, and 5 gp, respectively). The adventure will begin shortly, after most players have had a chance to make their introductions.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad Empty Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

After pausing to pat the head of the smiling namesake toad on her way in, Elodie pushes the door to the Jolly Toad open, suddenly feeling alone and nervous. She is wearing a dusty leather overtunic over a simple cloth shirt and skirt, and has a full backpack tossed over her shoulder. She is small and has a scraggly brown braid hanging over her shoulder, with loose tendrils hiding her hazel eyes.

Fiddling with the end of her braid as she looks around, Elodie is unsure of what to do until she is approached by a friendly barmaid. “I’ll have an ale and a bowl of stew,” Elodie says, trying to appear confident and starting to head towards the bar, where it appears a group of boisterous regulars are gathered. However, as she twirls the end of her braid between her fingers, brambles catch her fingers and she realizes that her days of travel have caught up with her. Tapping the retreating barmaid on the shoulder, Elodie grins and says, “A cold bath first, though, if you don’t mind!”

After a brisk bath, Elodie shakes out her clothing and braids her hair neatly, winding it into a tight bun, but it starts to come undone almost immediately. Making her way back to the main room, she makes eye contact with the barmaid and nods toward the bar, indicating that she is planning on finding a seat nearby. She finds an empty seat near the crowd at the bar, and begins to slowly eat her bowl of stew while attempting to listen to the various conversations going on at the bar.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Jeremiah tired and physically withered from the long travel approaches the barkeep. It has been awhile since he has been around a crowd of people so he feels a little uneasy. After looking over the menu he decides a good meal and bath would be a well deserved treat. "Barkeep, I'll have some of your Endless Stew, a pint of Ale and a hot bath. Also, if you have a quill and some parchment that would be appreciated.."

Jeremiah pays the barkeep...

OOC: I remove 14 cp from my coin purse...
HP: 11/11 AC: 18 Fort: 13, Ref: 15, Wil: 13 Init: +3 H. Axe: +3Atk 1d6+2
BAB: +1 Mov: 4
CMB: +2 | CMD: 15
Per: +7L.Bow: +3Atk 1d8 + 2

Last edited by Alpha Omega on Mon May 20, 2013 11:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Since Elodie doesn't have a room, the barmaid leads her to smaller private room before retrieving the water for the bath. It takes her several trips with a rather large bucket to full the wash basin. Leaving soap and a towel behind, she says "Well, my name's Laci. Let me know if you need anything else." She closes the door on her way out.

Later, when Elodie finds her seat at the bar, Laci brings her over a huge bowl of stew and a mug of brown ale. The ale has a nutty, malty flavor ... but the stew is like nothing you've tried before. It is meaty and filling, salty and tangy, with bitter hints of varied spices. You can't really identify the spices, but they are clearly there. It's loaded with potatoes and carrots, but their flavor is overwhelmed by the complex taste of the gravy.

Eavesdropping on the conversations around her, Elodie learns that man next to her called Falconworth. He is clearly inebriated, going on and on about the lover he lost. How he was unable to protect her, he made bad decisions, and some how he lost her. Elodie doesn't hear what happened to her, specifically, but she gets the impression that his true love died somehow. The woman he is talking to is trying to be sympathetic, but clearly has an agenda. Her name is Wrenny and she's told Falconworth about ten times now that he's a good man and could have any woman. She's also mentioned a few times how she wishes she had a man like Falconworth. The guy on the other side of her, whose name is apparently Sketch, is slobbering drunk and is repeatedly telling Wrenny that if Falconworth doesn't want her, he'll take her.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm

When Jeremiah puts in his order, the barkeep orders the barman to help him out.

The barman introduces himself, "Right this way stranger. Name's Bavol. Bavol leads Jeremiah into the backroom to a locked door and says "Well, it seems someone is already using the room back here. I'm going to let you borrow one of the rooms upstairs for a few minutes, if that's okay." He throws a towel and soap into a large metal tub and carries it as he leads Jeremiah up the stairs to one of the rooms normally reserved for renters. "It'll take a few minutes to heat the water, but you can relax in here until your bath's ready. Here's the parchment and quill you asked for, and the ink's right here.". He pulls the writing supplies from the satchel on his belt. After several trips, the tub looks full. "Alright, just let me know when you're finished," he says.

Later, when Jeremiah returns to the common room, Bavol bring over a huge bowl of stew and a mug of brown ale. The ale has a nutty, malty flavor ... but the stew is like nothing you've tried before. It is meaty and filling, salty and tangy, with bitter hints of varied spices. You can't really identify the spices, but they are clearly there. It's loaded with potatoes and carrots, but their flavor is overwhelmed by the complex taste of the gravy.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 am

Maius makes his way into town in his usual manner, feigning disinterest and trying to blend in with the commoners. He pays close attention to their mannerisms and inflections, strangers find it easier to enjoy his stories when he speaks and talks as they do.
A few days ago, a fellow traveler told him of grandiose adventures to be had in Umbrafall, he immediately changed course and headed here. Arriving at the Adventurers' Guild, he reads the signage and heads for the Jolly Toad. Instead of going directly inside, he takes some time to observe the surroundings. If there are any people hanging around outside, especially between the Jolly Toad and the West Gate, Maius positions himself to pick up on some local gossip and lore.

d4 hours gathering information= 4 hrs
Diplomacy(Information gathering) d20= 20(natch!)+7(diplomacy)=27

DM Edit: Due to local circumstances, you get an extra +2 bonus on this roll. So, your real total is 29.

O.O.C.: Don't know how many rolls I need. For now, just trying to hear some random chatter as I mingle. If anything peaks his interest, I will most likely try to join the conversations.

O.O.C.#2: w00t, w00t! Game ON!!!

macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 am

Maius immediately spots people "hanging around" between the two locations; three small merchant stalls, nestled against the defensive wall, sit directly across from the Adventurer's Guild. As he passes by, he hears the merchants say something about all the folks who approach the guild but are turned away by the signs. Pausing a moment to listen further, he hears one of them say "It's because of those Blackbirds. I hear they've rented the entire top floor." One of the other two responds, "What? What happened to those other guys? Y'know, the really friendly ones?" And the third chimes in "I heard they blew all their gold on liquor and women. Ahh, but I digress."

Then, they begin talking about something else. To learn more, Maius approaches them. The merchants are eager to tell him more. "Oh yeah, the Blackbirds are some of the first 'Adventurers' in the city; they've been at it a year ... been pretty successful, too" ... "That's right. None of them have died, either. They've suffered some serious injuries, I guess. But they're all still alive." ... "True, true. They used to stay over at the Jolly Toad, themselves, before the A.G. was opened ... but they've since moved to the Guild Hall." ... "And rumor has it that they've now rented the entire top floor." ... "Oh, you know who could tell you more? That Cid Buckley. Yeah, he's the proprietor of the Jolly Inn. Used to be pretty close with them, too ... but I guess they had a bit of falling out. Cid's bouncer down there, umm, Ladislas or something, was fighting with the Blackbirds out here in the street one night. A bunch of the bars regulars came out and chased them off." ... "Right, right. That was what? Maybe a month ago? No, two. Yeah, two months ago."

At this point, Maius figures he should precede to the inn. He walks slowly as he passes others in the street, listening for more interesting chatter, but gets nothing between the Guildhall and the Inn. Still, he doesn't go in. He decides to remain outside a while longer and goes around back and checks out the stables. He finds one of the stable-boys talking to a woodsman and listens for a moment. "Yup, thanks again ... think they'll be ready by the time next group is ready to go out? ... "I dunno. How long ya gonna be?" ... "Couple hours, maybe. I'm gonna head over the A.G. to get some supplies and I need to go visit my sister in the city. So, couple hours, yeah." ... "Ok, Mister Woods ... I'll have them fed and groomed when you return." ... "Thanks again." Figuring that Mister Woods might be the very same Randal Woods mentioned on the signage at the Adventurers' Guild, Maius knows he has some time spare.

He goes back around to the front. Watching and waiting, he sees a Lyrist enter the building and few moments later, a drummer leaves (it must be shift change for the entertainers). He sees a lot of farmers and craftsman entering and leaving; common folk talking a break from their daily work. Most look tired and worn out as they enter; or elated and inebriated as they leave. After awhile, he sees a small, scraggly-looking woman enter the Inn; she is dirty and covered with brambles and seems nervous as she enters. A few minutes behind her, a weary looking woodsman drags himself into the bar, looking uneasy and out of sorts. Maius figures they must be first time adventurers, here to meet Randal Woods. In all likelihood, he could be travelling with them in just a short while. He waits a few more minutes before entering, but then decides its time to go in.

When he enters, the tiny bramble-covered girl is nowhere to be seen; but he spots the bedraggled woodsman going upstairs behind the barman, who is carrying a large metal tub. Glancing around, he takes note of all the clientele; travelers and regulars, gamblers and commoners, and of course ... the barkeep. He realizes that must be Cid Buckley, though any of the inn staff could probably tell him more. He doesn't see anyone who is obviously this Ladislas fellow, though he notices a very large man sitting at the bar and NOT drinking; that's probably him.

At this point, Maius figures he has roughly half an hour before Randal returns.

OOC: Any information gathering that occurs in here, we'll treat as part of the same roll and the same four hours; feel free to continue along this line of investigation, or another. Four hours is a long time and a 29 is an awesome roll.

OOC: All three of you have entered the tavern within a few minutes of each other.

OOC: I agree ... w00t, w00t!

Last edited by Malazek on Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 am

As she listens to the three drunks sitting near her, Elodie finds herself feeling sympathetic for both Wrenny and Falconworth—Wrenny for feeling alone, and Falconworth for losing his love. She certainly could relate…although, to be honest, Elodie hadn’t lost her love. No, she knew exactly where he was—behind her father’s barn with Nellie, the neighboring farmer’s daughter. Still, she felt sorry for their heartache and hoped that Falconworth would look up from his drink long enough to realize that Wrenny would be a fine catch.

Finishing her ale, Elodie turns her attention to the friendly barkeep. Waving him over, she gives him a smile and requests another ale. When he returns, she places the four coppers on the counter along with a silver and says, “I’m looking for Randal Woods. What can you tell me about him, and where he leads new adventurers?”

DM EDIT: I'm treating this as an untrained diplomacy roll. Since the TN is relatively low, we'll count it as if you were Taking-10 (page 86) for a total of 14.
(That's effectively a 10 on the die, +1 for your charisma score, +1 for the silver piece, and an +2 bonus due to local circumstances).

Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 20, 2013 4:34 pm

Staring at the silver bribe Elodie has laid before him, the barkeep hesitates a moment before answering "Well, I don' think Randal will mind if I tell ya that ... he's a local woodsman. His father was the royal forester in these parts for over twenty years, before he passed. Since then, Randal's found work as a woodcutter, a furrier, a trapper ... even as a bounty-hunter, for a stint. Ya see, Randal's lived most of his life in the Timberwyld -- spent a lot of time on the Angers, too -- so, he knows the land better than most. An' since the adventurin' trade's been so prosperous, lately, Randal's decided to guide folks out to the ruins ... for a small fee, of course; but he's very fair. The trails headin' out there can be dangerous and confusing. Without his help, a lot of folks get lost, or worse, and never come back ... but every single one that's followed Randal out there's come back alive. Every one."

"Of course, you're not likely to strike it rich on his little tour -- if ol' Randal knew where the treasures were, I don't think he'd be guidin' folks around to earn a livin' -- but it's a decent way to learn yer way and also to get a feel for what you doin'. Then, maybe, if yer lucky, you can use what he teaches to be more successful out there, on yer own. An' if not, at least ol' Randal will treat ya to lunch an' let ya ride one of his horses. That's all included in his fee."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 pm

While eating his dinner Jeremiah slips into deep thought contemplating what he is going to write. In about a short while, he seems to be finished with both his letter and supper, with a feeling of relief. He folds up his letter, than heads over to have a talk with Bavol about finding a Courier. He gets about halfway to Bavol when he remembers the posted sign encouraging a talk with Randall Woods and makes a mental note to ask Bavol about that as well.

OOC: While talking to Bavol, Jeremiah would like to look around the menu again to see if they have any smoke for sale.

Mov: 4 Sq BAB +1
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 20, 2013 9:03 pm

"A courier, you say?" Pavol asks, "I'm sure I can find one for you. Where is he going?"

Jeremiah peruses the menu again, but does not see any sort of pipe-weed listed there. He does notice, however, that Pavol smells a bit like smoke. Perhaps he would know where to get some?
-- OOC: Perception roll of 17.

Assuming Jeremiah asks him where to get pipe-weed, Pavol will answer "I know a place, in the city. I'd give you a little bit of mine, but I am almost out.". As if feeling guilty, however, he pulls out a small wooden box and actually checks to see how much he has. "Well, I guess I could spare a little." He hands Jeremiah a small pinch of his pipe-weed, probably enough to fill the chamber once ... if only Jeremiah owned a pipe.
-- OOC: Charisma check = 17 (rolled an 18, -1 for your charisma penalty)

When he asks about Randal Woods, Bavol offhandedly shakes his head. "I don't know. I guess he's supposed to meet some first-timers here in a little bit. He comes in every three or four days and leads a group out to the old ruins. Makes my job harder, that's about all I know."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 pm

As the barkeep is talking, Elodie makes a note to herself to be on the lookout for people who look like they may have had some success exploring the ruins...perhaps they don't frequent The Jolly Toad, but maybe they stop by occasionally. After he finishes speaking, Elodie says, "Well, thank you so much for the information and the delicious stew. Can you direct me to Randal, then?"

If Randal is around, Elodie will make her way towards him. If he isn't around, Elodie will keep her seat at the bar and continue to observe the people around her.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue May 21, 2013 1:36 am

Tall and dark like a storm-cloud, Talmut-Xisper, Son of the Fourth House of Nu'ul, finally stands at his goal. "It took all I had saved and a journey across the known world, and now I am finally here. The knowledge of the ancients is a breath away..."

Judging the patrons of the Jolly Toad as he enter the common room, I take a seat at a table near the stone fireplace, away from the noise of the stage. My clothes are sturdy, obviously for exploring, but strangely colored and cut, easily giving me away as a foreigner, if the pungent odors of exotic spices and burnt offerings that permeate the same garb were not hint enough.

I eye the menu, and wait for the barman to come to my attention. "Simple bread and cheese, and a cup of cool water." Talmut-Xisper's voice carries under and through the room, a deep, rolling bass rumble, oddly inflected, but perfectly understood.

Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 am

Maius is nearing the bar when he overhears the maiden asking about Randal Woods, somewhat matter of factly he says "I think Mr. Woods will be returning shortly." He reaches in his pocket for a few silver pieces, and says to the barkeep "Kind sir, an ale if you please? My whistle is quite dry." He motions toward the maiden, "And one for the lady here, if she'll accept." He sets three silver on the bar. "The change is yours barkeep, Cid I believe it is?" He nods his head respectfully to the barman and the lady before saying, "Pardon me, I haven't yet introduced myself... Sir Maius, Pride of all Kelbany!" He chuckles as he says that sentence, self-promotion always amuses him.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 am

At the bar ...

Cid, the barkeep, delivers two ales, just as Maius ordered; one for Maius and one for Elodie. (Elodie has already downed one pint, and now she has two full pints sitting before her). Upon hearing his own name, Cid responds "Yes. Why, yes it is."

Meanwhile ...

After sharing some of his pipe-weed with Jeremiah, Pavol excuses himself to wait on a customer. He follows the outlander to his table and, after getting his order, returns shortly with the Talmut-Xisper's food. "Will there be anything else, my good fellow?"

Back at the bar ...

Cid speaks up, "Ah, there he is now. Better drink up, miss."

Near the door ...

Standing at the entrance, a rather average looking man enters with an adolescent boy following closely behind. Both are dressed for travel, in sturdy fabrics and heavy boots; faded greens and browns, mostly. (This is the same man Maius saw in the stables earlier; but its not the same stable boy). Raising his voice to be heard, he shouts "ANY NEW ADVENTURERS HERE, LOOKING FOR A GUIDE TO THE OLD RUINS?" Somehow, the crowd seems to get even louder as he starts shouting ... but noticing this, the lyrist on the stage stops playing; in response, the din of the crowd quiets just momentarily. "Just meet me out front, if you are ready." The ruckus of the crowd begins again. As Randal Woods makes his exit, the lyrist's song picks-up again.

Out front ...

Any who follow Randal outside find him waiting near six saddled horses. As you approach, he speaks "Hello folks. I am Randal Woods. You'll find no better guide through these lands, so let me explain how this works. I charge 5 silver per day and the entire trek usually takes two days; so that's one gold coin. That includes my service as an expert guide, as well the use of one my horses. Maybe you don't care to ride the horse, but if we find anything worth bringing back, you'll need to haul your loot. I'll also provide you with meals throughout the journey, as well as any necessary equipment you may need (such as a rope or water-skin). Like the horses, I'll need any borrowed equipment back at the end of the trip ... most importantly, I'll provide you with advise and instruction that will prove invaluable in your career as adventurers."

He takes a moment to clear his throat before continuing, "If you should become injured on the trip -- a rare occurrence, but it happens -- I will treat your wounds to the best of my ability, but I am no healer. I do carry an emergency supply of healing potions, but if I am forced to administer one, well, that costs extra (they aren't cheap, after all)."

"If we do find treasure, we split it evenly; even shares."

"If we encounter any trouble, everyone pitches in. Hopefully, we won't encounter any -- but if we do, be it bandits or wild animals or whatever -- I expect you to help each other out. Anyone who runs away, forfeits their shares of any treasure we find."

"When we return, you'll be fit to join the Adventurers Guild. They have a shop which specializes in adventuring gear and sometimes carries more "unusual" items. They also have a bulletin board, which allows the members to inform each other of anything they find out there; traps, monsters, bad weather, or whatever. Sometimes, wealthy patrons looking to hire adventurers will also post jobs on the board. They sometimes have rooms for rent, as well, but I hear they are all booked up at the moment."

"Okay, that about sums it up. Any questions?"

Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue May 21, 2013 10:16 am

"Thanks Pavol, but I dont want to take your last pinch", remembering his brother had his pipe. He then instructs Pavol that the letter be delivered to the Fjordheim Inn to a Jamison Laqueus and asks, "How much for the courier service?". Upon hearing Randall make an announcement to the Jolly Toad crowd he gathers his stuff together, pays Pavol for the courier, gives him the letter and heads out the door. His feeling of unease now turns to excitement and anticipation, for this is the first day of his new life...

"OOC: He will try and buy a pipe before he leaves the city and some smoke if he has time."

Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue May 21, 2013 10:21 am

Elodie nods in return at the man who has just purchased more ale on her behalf...she grasps the pint that the barkeep places in front of her and lifts it in the direction of the man. "Thanks," she says, and takes a gulp. As she swallows, she hears the musician stop, and realizes that Randal Woods has finally made his appearance.

Before she leaves the bar, Elodie pushes the other unfinished ale towards Falconworth. She taps him on the shoulder, and then points to Wrenny. "This is from her," she says, and then follows a few other folks towards the door. She stops at the door and glances back at Wrenny, hoping to see if Falconworth is finally paying favorable attention to her.

After a few seconds of observation, Elodie continues out the door, listening to Randal's speech about the journey. It all sounds fair enough, and at the mention of Randal's lack of first aid skills, she wonders if she might be of some assistance to her fellow adventurers if the need arises. She reaches over her shoulder and grasps her spear to make sure that it is still there, and prepares herself to follow whatever directions Randal issues.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Maius follows the group outside.

O.o.c.: At work, post more later.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Before leaving the inn ...

Elodie glances back and sees Falconworth and Wrenny still commiserating together, now with even more ale with which to drown their sorrows ... and who knows, a little booze never stood in the way of two people actually getting together.

Before leaving the inn ...

Pavol estimates that a courier to Fjordheim might cost as much as 5 gold. He reasons that its a five day journey (on horse back) and puts that around 250 miles ... at 2 cp per mile, that works out to about 5 gold.

After Randal asks if there's any questions ...

When Jeremiah asks if he has time to buy a pipe first, and where to get one, Randal informs that there is a smoke merchant just inside the west gate. "We can spare a few minutes, if the group doesn't mind. It's just right through that gate," he says, pointing up the road toward the entrance to the city.

Assuming Jeremiah heads in that direction ...

He passes through the gate with no trouble and spots a plethora of merchant stalls; at least a dozen. In only takes him a minute, however, to find the stall in question. An old, leathery woman is working behind the booth, shaded from the sun by the colorful fabrics hung-up around her stall. Various wooden and clay pipes are laid out for inspection. Behind the woman, wooden bins are stacked, filled with all manner of pipe-weed.

"Well," she says "our simplest an 'smallest pipes is only two coppers -- clay or wood, doesn't matter; ya can even get a wood stem wit' a clay pot, if ya like. Our bigger an' more ornate pipes is more, o' course. Regular ol' pipe-weed is purdy cheap: five silvers a poun'. It's a bit more fer the spiced pipe-weeds (like this one, wit' cloves in it) an' the liquored pipe-weeds (like this one, soaked in brandy 'fore it was dried). An' o' course, we have some meconium,* too, but that runs fifty gold fer one chamber-full. I can throw in a leather pouch or a wood box, if ya need it, for just a gold. I also have tin'ertwigs fer a gold a piece or a dozen fer ten. So, what can I get ya?"

*OOC: Meconium is an addictive substance made from poppies ... specifically, it is either made from "the other parts" of a poppy plant or from plants that are only "related" to the poppy. Note, however, that regular pipe-weed is basically just tobacco; meconium is a much more serious vice.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 pm

I make a generous cheese sandwich and pack the rest of the plate to go. Without a word, Talmut-Xispur joins the group outside and stoically listens to Randall's speech until it's conclusion, and then hands the guide a gold.

"I am Talmut-Xispur, and I wish to join your group."

At that, I pick and mount a horse, and await our departure. At the talk of a side stop at the pipe merchant, one could perhaps catch a tightening of the foreigner's eyes, but on second glance, it is gone. It could have just been a trick of the light, because I make a purchase at the merchant's myself.

Finally underway, Talmut follows the guide to parts unknown, munching on his sandwich.

O.O.C. - I would like to use Appraise (rolled 14+9=23) to pick out a sturdy pipe for traveling, something perhaps that reminds me of my home, and a segmented box full of tobacco, with a bit of the good stuff in one section, if at all possible.

HP: 7/7 AC: 12 Fort: +1, Ref: +2, Wil: +2 Init: +2 M.W. Quarterstaff: -1Atk 1d6-2
BAB: 0 Mov: 6
CMB: -2 | CMD: 10
Per: +0Spell Save DC=Spell Level+15, 16 Conj.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Wed May 22, 2013 3:46 am

"Have ya room for a storyteller friend? If ya let me tag along, I promise to enhance your legend at every occasion." Maius waits for the reply, all the while assuming the answer will be yes. He readies a gold coin, in case he is correct.
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 22, 2013 4:55 am

Joining Jeremiah in the city, Talmut-Xispur scrutinizes the pipes and finally chooses the sturdiest wood pipe among them. It's a little more than the smallest and simplest options, costing a full silver piece, but its definitely the sturdiest ... its even more sturdy than some of the really expensive pipes. As a bonus, its conical stem reminds him of pipes found back home. Afterward, he has no trouble finding a segmented box, which the merchant readily fills with both pipe-weed and meconium.

Jeremiah also makes his purchase, and the two of them rejoin the party in front of Randal Woods.

OOC: Go ahead and subtract the costs of your purchases, where necessary. Don't forget that Talmut-Xispur does not have to subtract purchases of less than 1 silver, so he doesn't need account for the cost of the pipe itself ... just the box and the stuff that goes in it (so, that's 51 gold 5 silver). I'm not sure, however, what Jeremiah is buying, yet, but we'll figure it out.

Randal Woods excepts all comers and heartily meets all introductions with "Well, met. I am Randal" except for Maius, to whom he adds "Oh yes, a storyteller will be greatly appreciated around the campfire. I'm glad you could join us ... and I'm afraid my own legend is terribly modest, though I guess a little reputation never hurt."

Once everyone is assembled, he collects his fee and is ready to ride.

OOC: That's one gold each. Please subtract it from your character sheets.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 am

Elodie watches two men head towards the marketplace, but decides to try to become acquainted with one of the horses, instead. She approaches the smallest one and holds her hand out to it, allowing it to sniff her before patting it gently on the nose. She then begins to murmur quietly to the animal, allowing it to get to know the sound of her voice as she transfers her pack from her back to the horse.

(Wild Empathy: 7 + 1 level + 1 CHA)

At Randal's request for his fee, she finds and hands him one of her gold pieces, thanking him for the opportunity to come along as she does so.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed May 22, 2013 5:54 am

And with that, the party is on their way. Everyone is given a horse to borrow, even the boy-servant gets a horse. The saddles are rather basic, and not the most comfortable, but they offer plenty of saddle-bags for whatever treasures you might find. The party travels along the the north road, toward the mountains. The sun is high in the sky, allowing the shadows of the mountains to recess and the light of the sun to illuminate the road before you. The air is comfortably warm, with nary a cloud in sight.

You pass-by many small farms and quaint cottages before the Timberwyld comes into view. As the party continues, the North Road becomes more and more rough, until it is eventually just a wide trail, beaten down by the few of travelers who have made this journey. Side trails frequently split off from this one, and as you pass each, Randal comments "That one would lead us into the southern part of forest; though, one of the trails that crosses it further down leads to a nice hunting-lodge" or "That one would take us deep into the heart of the forest -- very dangerous -- and eventually to a ruined city" and the like. Each trail you pass seems to lead somewhere interesting.

You begin to pass more and more trees, along the way, and spot some small thickets among the hills ... until finally, you enter the Timberwyld proper. "Don't worry. We're not going too deep into the woods. Many dangerous wild animals prowl the deeper parts of the forest. By following this road, however, we'll stay relatively safe." The Timberwyld is fairly thick, with densely packed trees, allowing very little undergrowth to flourish. Moss and short grasses dominate the ground beneath the canopy.

After an hour or so, you come across a half-dozen or so stumps, left behind by some woodcutter. A small stream runs slowly across the trail, with a tiny wooden bridge offering passage across. Nearby, a dead tree seems to have fallen across the stream, as well.

The horses become suddenly uneasy and start to panic. Randal's horse bolts, throwing your guide to the ground. He hits the ground with sickening thud. The boy, however, manages to stay in the saddle ... but your own horses begin to rear and bolt, as well.

OOC: To move things along, I'll roll your Ride checks ...

Jeremiah: 13 (10 on the die +3 dex)
Maius: 3 (1 on the die +2 dex) ... followed by a "soft-fall" check of 18 (16 on the die +2 dex)
Elodie: 12 (11 on the die +1 dex)
Talmut-Xispur: 19 (17 on the die +2 dex)

Most of you manage to stay in the saddle. Unfortunately, your storyteller is unexpectedly thrown from his horse, and his horse takes off frantically into the woods, following closely behind Randal's own mount. Thanks to Maius's quick reflexes, however, he somehow manages to land on his feet!

OOC: I'll check this for typos later. I have to get moving. Go ahead and react to this sudden course of events. Please note: even if you stayed in the saddle, your horses are still spooked.

Last edited by Malazek on Fri May 31, 2013 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 am

After the story teller is thrown from his horse, Jeremiah dismounts. He tries to calm his horse and scans the area to see what could have spooked them.

OOC: Jeremiah only dismounts assuming his horse reared, if his horse bolted he pulls on the reins to stop it. After it stops, he than proceeds to dismount...

DM Edit: Correct. Your horse only reared (so far)

OOC: Perception (16 + 7) = 23

OOC: Jeremiah removes 1GP for the tour, 2CP for the clay pipe, 5 Silver for the smoke & 5 Gold for the letter.

Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content