Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 am

"Sure eggs, hashed mutton and some coffee sounds good enough..." Jeremiah then stealth's over to the nearest chair trying not to wake anyone.

Stealth Check: 16 + 3 = 19

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:38 am

A little while after the party eats their breakfast, the staff starts showing up for work. They begin waking the sleeping patrons and asking them to clear the floor. The tables and chairs are put back in place and the inn is ready to start serving breakfast. Many of the sleepers become the first customers to order breakfast, ready to eat before hitting the road on their own journeys. Yet, more are entering, even and those first customers are finishing up.

Stephen accepts Maius's offer and orders the same meal: eggs, hashed mutton, and coffee. Afterwards, he thanks the generous storyteller. "Thanks, Maius. I don't get to eat at the inn, very often."

OOC: Everyone who eats breakfast, please subtract the cost of your meal from your character sheets. Anyone who doesn't, will be very hungry until they eat something.

OOC: Also, if you need to do anything else before the gates open, you have about two hours before ...


Hours later, Cid Buckley informs you, "Looks like the gates are open, now." The sun still isn't up, but an faint orange glow has appeared behind the silhouettes of mountain range, foreshadowing the rise of the morning sun. More and more people appear in the streets, as local farmers and other ordinary folk make their way into the city.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Upon hearing that the gates have been opened Jeremiah heads into town to sell the furs he acquired last night.

"I need to sell these pelts, I'll be back in about an hour."

OOC: Do I need to make any kind of rolls for finishing the pelts or making the sale?

GM Edit: Nope. You already made those rolls.

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Talmut nods at the Ranger, then looks to the others, tugging on his bristly, plaited beard.

"Ill news is always ill timed, but best be done and dealt with. Shall we get you home, Stephen?"
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:17 pm

"Yes," Stephen answers. Willingly, he leads the party through the city gates and toward his home.

...

Jeremiah has no trouble selling his furs, as the rest of the party takes Stephen and the horses to his mother's house. He makes 1 gold, 3 silver, and 5 copper.

...

Stephen and his mother live on the north side of the city, above a quaint seamstress shop with a straw-thatched roof. As you ride up, his mother walks out to greet you. She is a little younger than you expected and far prettier. "Back so soon? What happened? Where's your uncle?" Stephen opens his mouth to answer, but begins bawling. He runs forward to hug his mother, sobbing uncontrollably on her shoulder. She begins to cry, also, but after a moment, regains her composure. She looks at each member of the party, briefly, before asking, "What happened to him? Actually, come on inside ... let me get you some tea." Wiping her tears on her sleeve, she props the door open for all to enter. "Stephen, please take the horses to be stabled, while I talk to your Uncle's friends."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Maius tells her of the ambush and how they tried to revive Randal after the attack. He tells her how they decided it was better to bury him where he was slain than to risk hauling a corpse back with them. "Your son is extremely brave, he wanted to go on the offensive immediately. We decided he would be better off here with his family."
He pauses to let her respond, then continues "He's fairly upset with us right now, we hope he'll grow to understand why we couldn't run him to his uncle's fate."
Maius reaches in his bag and pulls out a few coins, he places them in her hand as he says "I don't have much... I hope this helps a little."

Diplomacy: 1d20+7=25

He turns to the group and asks "Should we buy some of the horses?"

O.o.C.: Subtracted 5 gold pieces from inventory.
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:43 am

Elodie looks at Maius and says, "Some of us might need to find a little treasure before we can buy a horse outright...but perhaps we can rent them, or work out another arrangement?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 am

Answering Maius, she says "Well, I thank you. A dead son would have been more than I could bear; a dead brother is bad enough." She sets the tea pot down on the table and turns to retrieve a few cups. When Maius hands her a few coins, she says, "Thank you. I appreciate that ... with Randal gone, things might be a little tough."

When she overhears Maius and Elodie talking about buying or renting horses, she pipes in. "I'm sure we could arrange something. Actually, you've done right by me, so far, burying my brother and bringing my boy home. Why don't we give the horses a little rest, you can stay here for a few hours, I'll cook you up some breakfast (or lunch, if you've eaten already). Later on, I'll just let you borrow the horses for a few days or a week. Keep them groomed and fed, and we'll call it even. It'll actually save me a few coins, because I won't have to pay the stable master while they're gone. And when you come back, we can revisit the idea ... I feel like I can trust you, especially since you've gone through so much trouble already."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 am

"Oh, that sounds more than fair," Elodie says, and embraces the woman. "Now, I think we all have had breakfast, but a few hours of rest and some lunch would be so kind of you. Is there anything I can help you with?" Elodie is willing to help this kind lady out with some chores or lunch.

OOC: By the way, this post is coming to you from Clingman's Dome, the highest point in the Smoky Mountains ( I think!).

GM Edit: OOC: Yes, it is. The highest point in the Smokies, the highest point in Tennessee, and the highest point along the Appalachian Trail.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:57 pm

After Jeremiah sells the furs he begins to make his way back to the Jolly Toad. Upon remembering he still needed a few things, he stopped to buy some salt and other spices before returning.

OOC: Just let me know how that costs..

GM Edit: Salt is 5 gp per pound. Spices vary, but cinnamon is 1 gp per pound, ginger and pepper are 2 gp per pound, saffron and cloves are 15 gp per pound. So, it depends really on what kind of spice and how much of it you need ... but assuming you're looking for something for wild game, one pound of a simple "mixed blend" would cost 1 or 2 gp and would be enough for 130-150 pounds of meat, depending on preference. In other words, it would be enough for 3-4 does, 2+ stags, 25-30 rabbits, or the like. It's not quite enough for one boar.



Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Assuming the party has no other business in town ...

After seeing Stephen home, helping his mother (Annie) around the house for a few hours, and eating an early lunch, the party sets out again on borrowed horses ... Annie insisted on sending another meal along for the road, so there is enough bread, cheese, and smoked fish for entire meal, wrapped neatly in a white cloth. The party heads back to the Jolly Toad to meet up with Jeremiah and heads out.

Assuming the plan hasn't changed ...

The party rides out again, the way Randal showed them, and a little over two hours later, they return their abandoned campsite. (Of course, there's no evidence of the previous campsite, but you recognize the spot, anyway) ... it isn't noon yet, but its definitely past mid-morning.

avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 pm

As the group pauses at the campsite from the previous night, Elodie says to Jeremiah, "Now, which way were those ogres heading last night? Do you think we should head in that direction?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:42 am

O.o.C.: Do we need food for the horses before we leave town? If so, Maius will definitely put in a few coins for that purchase."

GM Edit: OOC: That's a good idea. Since the Timberwyld is so dense, there's very little undergrowth; mostly moss and short grasses (i.e. no long grasses). Each day of feed (for one horse) costs 5 cp and weighs 10 lbs. You could have easily grabbed it on your way out of town ... but, you could let the horses graze, also, especially if you're not going to stay in the woods too long.



Maius is still unsure if pursuing an Ogre family back to their homeplace is the best idea for this newly banded group. "I feel enough kinship with you all to agree with the majority if the decision is to avenge Randal now. However, I would really prefer some less drastic adventure first. At least until we have a better understanding of everyone's strengths and weaknesses in the midst of a real skirmish. Especially, if we are to face overwhelming odds."
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:26 am

"That's a fair point, Maius, but I feel like it's worth investigating the ogres a little more. At the very least, we'll be removing a threat from this area, and be able to continue on to the ruins without worrying about that particular group."

Sensing the group's apprehension, Elodie continues, "However, I don't think that we should just charge in...if Jeremiah feels that he can track them, why don't we just try to get a bit closer and see exactly what we're up against? If there's more than a few, or they look tougher than the first one, then we should probably leave them alone and head on toward the ruins. But if there are just two or three, I think we can come up with a plan to kill them and rid these woods of them. Perhaps we could lure them out with something--let's not forget that we obviously have a skilled trapper with us. We could sneak up on them as they sleep. We could wait for them to come out of their lair, one at a time. I think that abandoning the idea before we investigate it thoroughly is a little hasty, and I'm willing to go check it out--and then if it looks too dangerous, we can just sneak away and do something different."

Elodie looks around at the group to see what they think, clearly ready to be on the move again.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

"Elodie - you speak my thoughts. First investigation, then either lure the monsters into a trap we devise, or catch them asleep. That is my vote. Leaving the ogre's at our back does not seem safe, and we have no idea what we will run into in the ruins - in a few days we may readily wish we could trade what we find there for a family of ogres."
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:13 am

After a brief discussion, the newly refined plan is put into place. Jeremiah has no trouble finding the tracks of the two ogres, just a few hills over from where your campsite was (roughly where he heard them talking, the night before). Judging by the tracks, there were two of them and they were dragging something very large.

Jeremiah's Tracking Roll: 19 (10 on the die, +7 skill, +2 favored foe)
TN to track the Ogres: 13


The tracks lead the party a good distance, toward the mountains (where the hills are becoming larger and larger), but still well within the confines of the forest. After half an hour or so, the ogre's lair comes into view. From their position in the gap between two neighboring hills, they are relatively hidden, but still a hundred feet or so from the lair's entrance. The lair itself is a wide-mouth cave in the base of what appears to be a foothill of the distant mountains. Skulls decorate the entrance; some propped up on stakes in front of the cave, others dangling from old ropes strung up just inside. Some are fresher than others.

An large dog, resting on its belly, sits in front of the cave, chewing on what appears to a jaw bone, probably stolen from one of the nearby stakes. It's mottled hide is patchy and scabby and he appears to be foaming a little at the mouth. An iron-studded, thick leather collar connects the dog to a heavy iron chain that that that is locked around a small tree, maybe ten yards away. Judging by the piles and the smell that surround the area, you would guess that dog hasn't been let off the chain in a really long time. Puddles of dirty water seem to be its only source of water.

Sticking with the plan, Jeremiah checks the area again and finds no evidence of larger giants ... the only tracks he finds are those of "Pa" and the two Ogres you followed here.

The dog still doesn't seem to have noticed you.

Jeremiah's Tracking Roll: 16 (7 on the die, +7 skill, +2 favored foe)
TN to track the Ogres: 13?
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 am

"Well, I got us here... Anyone have a good idea?"



Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 am

Elodie whispers, "Well, that dog looks like it needs to be put out of its misery before we do anything else, so it doesn't alert whatever's in the cave. Do you think we can surprise it and take it out from a distance, before it notices us?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Whimsically whispered..."I myself can't guarantee a quiet success, anyone have a T-Bone?"

Jeremiah scans the area trying to discern how many Ogres may be living here and or here at the moment.

Perception Check: 4 + 9 (favored Enemy) = 13

OOC: Are you making the stealth rolls or do you need some from me?


GM Edit: I should be rolling most stealth checks. And most knowledge and perception checks, too. Really, any time the player shouldn't know whether his character was successful or not. I'm haven't been to strict about it, but really that's how it's supposed to be done ... but you don't need a stealth check to whisper at that distance, unless you're trying to get closer?




Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Malazek on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Jeremiah scans the area, but doesn't see any ogres out and about. It's impossible to tell for sure how many are in the cave (if any), but judging by the tracks he already found, he would guess there are two at the most (not counting the one you already slew) ... unless a fourth ogre never ventured west from the cave or never left the cave, at all, maybe. If he could get closer, he could check for signs closer to the mouth of the cave, but sneaking past that dog will be a challenge.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 pm

"Don't you have quite a collection of animals from your traps?" Elodie responds quietly. "What do you have in mind?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Swifthand on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 pm

"What effect would meconium have on the beast? Do either of you know, with your woodland lore?"
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  macksgarageusa on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:47 pm

"Jeremiah, I can try to distract him if you want to maneuver for a kill? I know a little ditty that used to work on the watch dogs at one of my foster homes. I'd use it on them when I tried to sneak in after curfew."

O.o.C.: Willing to use Lullaby on the dog to give some of us a better chance to sneak around. "If" we're in agreement...
Standard: Cast Lullaby
avatar
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237
Join date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Glitz on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 am

"Can you distract the dog and remain quiet enough that the ogres don't hear you from inside the cave?" Elodie likes the idea of a distraction, but is clearly worried about alerting the ogres before the group is ready.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Alpha Omega on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 am

"Hmm...I wonder if we should wait for them to come out and just set an ambush somewhere along there traveled path. We are not sure what is in this cave at the moment so there could be more than we bargained for hiding in there."

OOC: Lullaby may still be a good option for the Ogres during an ambush as well.



Last edited by Alpha Omega on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 - The Jolly Toad

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum