Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

+2
Malazek
151prooftattoos
6 posters

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:Verity will aid Straegis, and presumably Alex and Vangg, with the ritual casting.

OCC: Verity's downtime (between books, walking for days through this neutral zone) was spent preaching the Queen's gospel to the party, teaching Azraelbenzariel to fight, trying to keep the groups spirits up, and ineffectually honing his Sharptongue. He prays for guidance in the imminent culmination of their quest.
OOC: Just to be clear, the rituals are already done and the time between books was about 8 hours.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Male Posts : 1264

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts" - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Six: "Prosperous Hosts"

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:37 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg will aid in anyway that is helpful.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Tyrol, you have been paying attention to us all this time I see. Your battle plan seems adequate, lets see if we can get this gate open and go from there."

O.O.C.: Was there any room in the sending messages to ask someone to bring ritual incense with them, I think we need to run this mystic sages ritual a couple of times here soon. A couple of questions regarding the dwarves weaknesses and perhaps the best way to change the nexus when we get there would be in order I feel.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Tyrol, you have been paying attention to us all this time I see. Your battle plan seems adequate, lets see if we can get this gate open and go from there."

O.O.C.: Was there any room in the sending messages to ask someone to bring ritual incense with them, I think we need to run this mystic sages ritual a couple of times here soon. A couple of questions regarding the dwarves weaknesses and perhaps the best way to change the nexus when we get there would be in order I feel.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: The message has already been sent, but the Dwarves will likely have some incense when you get there.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:Inwardly pleased that his plan was accepted by the master tactician, Straegis, and taking the silence of his other companions as approval, Davin waits for the troop leaders to arrive to share the plan with them.

"Maybe you, Verity, or Mordax should do the talking, Straegis. You're all either military leaders or good with people."

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:He'll take a walk with Frater to catch up and privately inquire about the "strange" methods the Emperor is now employing.
"Oh, well, nothing TOO unreasonable, I suppose; he just ... well, he just ... tends to rely on so-called 'heroes' more than the last Emperor did, that's all."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Relies on heroes more, does he? I don't see that he has much choice after all those seasoned officers were slaughtered in the dwarve's surprise attack. New heroes must rise to take their place.
"You must be very proud to be among those heroes. To be the Emperor's trusted adviser and chosen to lead the Imperial force on this most critical mission? Certainly I could not be more proud of you, Frater."

Verity claps his elder brother on the back as they reach the huge Ogre. Seeing the commanders assembled he begins.
"Oh good, you're all here. Friends, esteemed leaders, we must not lose the coming engagement. To do so would cost not only all of our lives but also the Empires best chance to end this war quickly.
"To that end we've begun formulating a strategy. Davin outlined a plan with the support of Mordax and Marshal Straegis, if I recall correctly it was something like this:

"So, the stealth team moves atop the wall, quickly and quietly dispatches the sentries there, and then opens the portcullis, allowing our troops to swoop in on the Dwarves beyond the wall. I suggest Reed and his Rangers, and any other ranged troops (did Frater bring any archers, or all infantry?) take position atop the wall after we take care of the sentries and prior to us sounding the attack. They will be able to all pick out important targets before the Dwarves know what hit them, further adding to their confusion. That will give us time to regroup and lead the charge together. I think Kradag's hunter's are best deployed as skirmishers, harrying the flanks of the the Dwarves. Perhaps we should split them, the Aquamancers, and the Home guard into two groups, one for each flank? The Vanguard are primarily spearman, correct? A concentrated strike right through the middle of the Dwarven ranks, led by Frater and his infantry, and supported by the Vanguard?"

"We'll need to work out who shall fill each role, starting with who makes up the stealth team that will kill the twelve sentries - Gods willing - before they sound the alarm.
"Also, the concentrated strike though the middle assumes that the middle is the least defended route to a tactically advantageous position. Once we open the gate we'll know better and can go from there, as Straegis said.
"What do you all think?"

Diplomacy: 31
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Malazek wrote:The gathered leaders nod and mutter in agreement, adding their own advice ...

"Fine, fine. The Imperial troops are more numerous, so leading the assault makes the most sense."

"Usually, the Vanguard would lead the charge, but if our spears are needed for support, then so be it. Will we be bolstering the the sides of the 'concentrated strike,' or did you have something else in mind?"

"My team is ready to occupy the wall, sir."

"Mine hunters be split up and harry Dwarfs? Seem good. From the war shadows shall we hunt."

"Your utilization of talents seems wise enough. We shall accompany different units so our magic is available all over the battle; but we will keep the House Guard around us, in case the enemy gets behind our lines."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Swifthand wrote:
Halcyon wrote:"We'll need to work out who shall fill each role, starting with who makes up the stealth team that will kill the twelve sentries - Gods willing - before they sound the alarm.

"Taalgarnuk, Juugug, and the Companions of Brackwater, I would say. We have had more than our fair share of practice with stealth over the last couple weeks. I can always give Advice, as needed. Verity, perhaps linking us as One? We all have experience with the benefits of that, as well."

Looking to the Ogre, Davin adds with a sympathetic grin, "I'm afraid you're just too big for this job, Kersh."

The Ranger's voice changes, a bit quieter, now, almost as though he is speaking to himself and for his own benefit, as much as to the assembly.

"One thing though, and this just hit me. I feel like Azzy could be of some benefit at some point, perhaps even initially. A few days ago, you said it was time he 'learned his trade', Verity. What better place to do it than the field of battle?"

His thoughts beginning to coalesce, the Elf continues, his voice a bit surer, his cadence a bit faster.

"He has his Dagger - could that be of some benefit? He has flight, could Azzy fix a rope unseen so we can climb the wall? We have quite a bit of Blackpowder and Naptha left...Taal - could you mix up some portable traps like the ones you used against the Orcs, so Azzy could drop them from above?"

Davin looks at all the others, eyebrow quirked awaiting their opinion.

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:40 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Addressing the leaders at hand . . .

"An' be an sures notsta accidentalikes chop me ups or beshooteth me by an mistake an' what nots! Dwarf w' red cloak meaneth: FRIEND!"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:He'll take a walk with Frater to catch up and privately inquire about the "strange" methods the Emperor is now employing.
"Oh, well, nothing TOO unreasonable, I suppose; he just ... well, he just ... tends to rely on so-called 'heroes' more than the last Emperor did, that's all."

"Aye" says Mordax, "tha' man always did trust in 'is men. Made 'im a guid man tae get things done in a spot. A right guid judge o' character is he."

The old soldier turns to Davin and Straegis, saying "We've tha' element o' complete surprise 'ere. Davin, yuir plan's a guid one, an' we jus' might roll o'er these dwarves like tha' gods own thunder. I worry, though, tha' oor numbers are low. When storming a castle ye want 3-5 times tha' enemies forces, an' we're aboot even - unless ye take intae account tha' their dwarves. Tha' last time I led imperial soldiers agin' a equal number o' dwarves, I lost all my men an' a right nice trident, tae boot."

Piercing both with a level glare, he says "Now's tha' time tae change yuir minds, lads, an none 'ere will say a thing - I'll see tae that. If ye're set, though, know tha' I'll follow either o' ye tae hell an' back agin. Ye've tha' word o' Mordax o' Clan Morrell, Chief o' tha' mountain hold o' Strass, decendent o' tha' fiercest hillmen e'er tae step foot in these lands."

Saluting with fist over heart, the old man bows lifts his hammer in salute. Softly he cries "Car si tylesys! Cylys eil tysandri! Car si bolysor maes! Sai shyr! Sai shas! Sai bolysia!"

"Hail the conquerors! Honor and courage! Hail the victorious spears! To blood! To war! To victory!!"
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"We have quite a bit of Blackpowder and Naptha left...Taal - could you mix up some portable traps like the ones you used against the Orcs, so Azzy could drop them from above?"
"An ssuress, we can do dat. 'Ow much can Azzzy carryeth?"

OOC: Great. It seems like everyone is behind the plan. So ... who or what are we waiting on? Am I missing something, or are the questions about Azzy the only unanswered issues?
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 pm

macksgarageusa wrote: "Davin, let's dispatch the gatekeepers with haste, then perhaps you and a few of our most stealthy allies can scout ahead to get a better look at what exactly we're up against. We'll adjust our troops and our plan accordingly."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:"Azzy can carry my armoured weight, perhaps more now that he's fully grown.
"I'm in favor of the lad dropping as many explosives as he can so long as he can avoid their bolters. The dwarven crossbowmen favor targets that lack cover. In fact, if we can use suprise to get past the Hammerers without them hampering our mobility to engage the Bolters in melee...but I'm getting ahead of myself. As Straegis said, first we must see what we're up against.
"What say you Azzy? An Angel of Death raining thunder and fire on our enemies shall demoralize them at the least. Are you up to the task? If not, that's fine; your scythe too would serve us well. Either way, we must know now."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Bashfully, Asraelbenzariel nods and responds "I can do either or both."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Swifthand wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote: "Davin, let's dispatch the gatekeepers with haste, then perhaps you and a few of our most stealthy allies can scout ahead to get a better look at what exactly we're up against. We'll adjust our troops and our plan accordingly."
Davin nods in agreement.

Malazek wrote:Bashfully, Asraelbenzariel nods and responds "I can do either or both."
"Taal's traps until they run out, then the scythe. Than settles it. Taal, as soon as your ready, let's go clear the parapets."

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:OOC: How is the stealth team getting onto the parapets? Stealth and Athletics? Or do you have something else in mind? If it's just climbing and sneaking, then go ahead and drop those rolls first; I'll describe the action from there.

Also, who all is on the slealth team? Is it still Taalgarnuk, Juugug, and the Companions of Brackwater? If not, then post a final list with your rolls
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg smiles at Juugug and Tal.

"If'n ah Go'bin an's Muckerkin gonna be on da stealth team, make sures ye 'eals me friends . . . don' let dem finds dere bedamned deaths."

The dwarf looks serious for a second, then mumbles, "Be carefuls, me kin."
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 pm

Halcyon wrote:"I feel Alex's ability to cause many to sleep at once would be the best strategy to take down the sentries without alerting the others. What do you say Maelstrom?
"Perhaps another Waterbender or two could join the stealth team to support Alex's efforts if the sentries are psread out. The rest of us could easily dispatch any that remain."

Verity will gather his companions, the various leaders, Reed's Rangers, and the Imilites around him before invoking One Heart One Mind.

"So what exactly do we know of the wall and it's defenders?"

Verity will aid any Perception (from what he knows of the wall, the dwarves positons, and the lighting), Insight (from what he's learned from past battles with dwarves), or other rolls to determine the best strategy.

OCC:
To maintain suprise and get our army through the gate we NEED to kill the 12 sentries without them sounding the alarm. To accomplish this there's still few things we need to know:
1. Whether Azzy can safely secure a rope to the wall for the rest of us to climb, or perhaps someone with a high stealth skill would have a better chance climbing up from the ground?
2. Are the dwarves all clustered together on the wall or should we deploy two or more teams?
3. Can a large group of crossbowmen get within range to support the stealthy front-liners, or is the corridor too well-lit and / or too quiet? Would this alert the main body of Dwarf troops?

Mal: A map or detailed description would be helpful in determining how high and wide the wall is, how difficult it would be to climb, If we and/or a flyer could approach in darkness, and the sentry positions as well as the approximate location of the main enemy force.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:OCC:
To maintain suprise and get our army through the gate we NEED to kill the 12 sentries without them sounding the alarm. To accomplish this there's still few things we need to know:

1. Whether Azzy can safely secure a rope to the wall for the rest of us to climb, or perhaps someone with a high stealth skill would have a better chance climbing up from the ground?

2. Are the dwarves all clustered together on the wall or should we deploy two or more teams?

3. Can a large group of crossbowmen get within range to support the stealthy front-liners, or is the corridor too well-lit and / or too quiet? Would this alert the main body of Dwarf troops?

Mal: A map or detailed description would be helpful in determining how high and wide the wall is, how difficult it would be to climb, If we and/or a flyer could approach in darkness, and the sentry positions as well as the approximate location of the main enemy force.
At a glance ...

1. I'm sure he could do that; but obviously, someone with a higher stealth skill (and the athletics skill) would be more likely to do it without being noticed ... also, I would think more than one person would want to climb at a time.

2. They are spread out in pairs; each pair 10 feet apart.

3. Crossbowsman could get within range, but those on the wall will have cover (maybe even superior cover). The area around the gate IS lit, but the crossbows have great range ... and it's not quiet (not with the loud music and all).

Both corridors are 70 feet wide, and 70 feet high. The wall is 140.

The Dwarven wall is 50 feet tall, and approximately 30 feet thick. The portculis is 20 feet high and 30 feet wide. It is crenelated and machicolated. The wallface is adorned with Meurtrieres.

The Barbican (which sits in the center of the wall, over the portculis ) is no higher than the wall, but is 10 feet "thicker" (that is, it juts out 5 feet from the wall, on both sides); it is also 10 feet wider than the portculis (so, 40 feet wide, with the gate occupying the middle 30). The ceiling of gateway (above the portculis) is lined with Murderholes.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Alright then. This is what I propose. Jenna, will you and your bodyguard accompany us? Your ability to lull multiple sentries to sleep could prove invaluable."

"Step 1 - Taalgarnuk, Reed, and myself sneak atop the wall and drop 2 pairs of ropes, each set close to a corresponding pair of sentries. This will allow 12 of the Stealth group to ascend the wall simultaneously, and 3 of us will be on top already for backup. That means that everyone initially ascending is responsible to kill one sentry apiece. Taal, Reed, and myself will be there as a failsafe. Here are the 12, in order, left to right, along the wall: Alex and Vangg, Ranger 1 and Ranger 2, Straegis and Mordax, Ranger 3 and Ranger 4, Juugug and Verity, and finally Jenna and her Homeguard."

"Step 2 - The rest of the Ranger's ascend, arriving shortly behind group 1. If there are any sentries left, we all finish them off. Ranged attackers have been spread evenly along the wall - do not hesitate to lend a hand to another group if necessary."

"Step 3 - Reed, Taal, and Juugug head to the gatehouse and make ready to open the gate."

"Step 4 - Meanwhile, The Companions of Brackwater, Jenna, and her bodyguard descend and rejoin the massed troops below. Straegis will have had time to analyze the Dwarven assembly on the other side of the wall, and make any last minute tweaks to our plan, if needed."

"Step 5 - The army marches to the gate, we give the signal to one of Reed's Ranger's atop the wall, who, in turn, gives the order to unlock the gates."

"Step 6 - We all finally get some payback for the Battle for the Seven Hills."

"Let's do this."

Stealth=52
Athletics=31
Stealth=38
Athletics=29

-Swift
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Malazek wrote:Taalgarnuk and Reed follow suit. Ever so quietly, the three climb the wall (assited by mental guidance from their allies below) and lower their first pairs of ropes. Shifiting silently to the side, they drop the last pairs. Now, 12 pairs of ropes hang from the wall; two in front of every pair of dwarfs.

Taalgarnuk: Athletics 44, 46; Stealth 43, 45*
Reed: Athletics 40, 40; Stealth 51, 46*
*Assumes four people aiding with Verity's One Heart, One Mind Bonus.
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Thinking that someone a little more 'stealthy' would have been first choice, Straegis asks Davin, "If I have this right, I quietly follow you up the wall once the lead party have made it to the top, correct?" Assuming Davin's answer is yes, Straegis will make use of his helm to help himself with the sneakiness.

Minor: Activate Qalibarian Factotum helm- Stealth Skill

Stealth: 1d20=18+5(helm)+5(half-lvl) +16(OHOM) = 44
Athletics: 1d20=19+14 +16(OHOM) = 49

Stealth: 1d20=19+5(helm)+5(half-lvl) +16(OHOM) = 45
Athletics: 1d20=1+14 +16(OHOM) = 31

O.O.C.: (+*?)= I didn't know how much total to add from one heart, one mind, plz. edit.

DM EDIT: You should be able to get +16 from One Heart, One Mind. The power is a close burst 6, meaning it can affect up to 169 people. Only four can aid one person, but there's more than enough people to aid each climber by watching & advising (mentally).

Also, you only need one Athletics roll and One Stealth roll. The "Rope Team" needed two, to get the ropes set up. Everyone else needs one, to climb up quietly (With the rope in place, the climb DC is 10; without it, it was 25 ... the stealth checks must content with the sentry's perception)
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  151prooftattoos Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:Thinking that someone a little more 'stealthy' would have been first choice
OOC: Hehe. Straegis IS stealthy. His half-level bonus is +5 now. That means he's as good at stealth as a 1st level trained character ... better when you consider the party's resourcefulness (OHOM, Crucial Advice, Factotatum, Jack of All Trades).
151prooftattoos
151prooftattoos
Arcane Archivist
Arcane Archivist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next