Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

4 posters

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next

Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 8 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Glitz Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Elodie says, "I have about the same as you, Gumphrey."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 8 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:20 am

"I have enough to make up the difference with Talmut, you guys can hang on to your gold." Looking to Elodie and Gumphrey..

Talmut wrote:I believe there is a connection between this orb and the dragons amassing in Jotun Valley.
Elodie wrote:"Absolutely. I don't volunteer for the great town of Umbrafall...so where do we get these scrolls, anyway? Who has the money to purchase them?"
"I understand, I hold a service with the Vicerene and am paid to protect her and her lands. Neither of you two have an obligation to protect her lands so it is understandable that you would want compensation. If this orb is not related to the dragon incursion, then I would also expect compensation. As far as looting goes, it would be business as usual. Any loot pried from the cold dead hands of an evil wizard is up for grabs. "

OOC: I'll split the remainder of my money on had with Talmut so he has something in his pocket.
OOC: Deducted 275 gold from my purse.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 pm

OOC: Now that a strategy has been somewhat agreed to ...

The Band of Four races back to the Zaubereigarten, to purchase the scrolls before the shop closes (it's dark already, so hopefully it is still open). Obviously, the streets are not nearly as crowded this late at night, so you make better time. After traversing the "secret" way in, the party makes its back to the main hall of the Zaubereigarten. There, they are a little bit surprised to find that ALL of the magical shops are still open. So, they pay for the scrolls they need and then head back to the tower-home.

On the way back, they notice that the streets are even emptier than before. The few people who are out at night seem to be in a rush to get to where they are going. Jeremiah and Elodie also notice that there are also more guards on the street now than there were earlier. One of them approaches the party, "Excuse me, it's almost curfew. Better get to where you're ..." His voice trails off when he spots the ring that was given to Talmut by the Duke. "My apologies, m'lord. I intended no offense. You and your party can carry on with your business. Thank you. Again, sorry."

A little while later, the party makes it back to the wizard's tower. Gumphrey reiterates the plan, to make sure everyone understands it the same way. "So, Jeremiah and Talmut will pay the wizard a visit? Meanwhile, Elodie and I will sneak in and use the scroll to find out if the wizard is evil. And that's it? After that, we regroup and go from there?"

Talmut nods. And then explains the cover story he had in mind.

- OOC: As far as I recall, Swift never weighed-in on a specific cover story. Since Jeremiah cast his vote with Talmut, I guess I'll just choose from those plans offered by Elodie (those are, currently, the only ones to pick from). Besides, this will avoid any further delays and allow us to get this story moving, again ... The first plan might arouse suspicion, if this guy and the duke are already enemies. The second plan might tip your hand, letting on that you know the brother. Likewise, the third one might give away the fact that you suspect his involvement with the dragons. The last plan is probably be the safest, but doesn't really explain why a foreign dignitary would stop at this guy's house (it's also the least likely to yield any further information) ... So, I (he) will elaborate upon the plan, just a tad.

Talmut suggests introducing himself as Sidarim-Xispur (that name belongs to one of Talmut's actual cousins). The simple fact of that matter is that Talmut REALLY IS a foreign scholar interested in archaeological finds, so the role should be easy enough to play. He suggests that Jeremiah should adopt a pseudonym, as well, but should keep the honorific of "Sir" (to add legitimacy to his presence). Then, Talmut will explain that he traveled to the Five Realms in order to study in the Valley of Tombs. Then, at the Zaubereigarten, they were directed here by another scholar (if questioned about the "scholar," you can simply admit that you didn't catch the man's name).

If nobody has any objections, Talmut is ready to dispel one of the magical alarms, so that Gumphrey and Elodie can sneak in through the window.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

OOC: Can't Gumphrey just step through the wall instead of us attempting to disarm the trapped window? I also wonder if instead of Jeremiah going in with Talmut it may be better for Elodie. It might be less threatening...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:OOC: Can't Gumphrey just step through the wall instead of us attempting to disarm the trapped window? I also wonder if instead of Jeremiah going in with Talmut it may be better for Elodie. It might be less threatening...
OOC: Gumphrey can walk through walls, but there is a significant chance of failure (and the result is tantamount to being splinched). Still, Gumphrey will agree to it if you want him to. It's up to you, but Talmut has a better chance of dispelling a simple alarm trap than Gumphrey has of making it through the wall unharmed.

OOC: There is some advantage to having Elodie go with Talmut. For example, she is the only person in the party with a CHR bonus. She could also use her "1000 faces" ability to look completely different. On the other hand, there is also some advantage to her going with Gumphrey. For example, she's very stealthy. It would also be a good idea to have someone go with Gumphrey, in case things go poorly for him. That being said, the only reason I posted it the Gumphrey/Elodie and Jeremiah/Talmut teams is because that's how it was discussed. The party can pair up however the two of you decide.

OOC: As far as threatening goes, it is not at all unusual for wizards to travel with bodyguards (aka. shield-men). Besides, this wizard has a whole houseful of bodyguards, so Jeremiah alone is probably not enough to cause concern. That being said, Elodie could easily pose as another scholar or even as Talmut's wife. Her ability to change faces makes for easy disguises.

OOC: In the end, it's up to you two. Gumphrey and Talmut will agree to either variation (unless Swift posts otherwise).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm

OOC: I'd hate to see Gumphrey getting splinched, so I think we should go ahead and let Talmut attempt to disarm the window alarm. As far as who should go with Talmut and who should go with Gumphrey, I think that Elodie's stealth and ability to heal are more useful to Gumphrey than her +1 Charisma will be to Talmut...especially considering that Mal has pointed out that a bodyguard would not look suspicious.

However, I suppose that Elodie could go with Talmut if the idea makes you really uncomfortable...or both Elodie and Jeremiah could go with Talmut, and let Gumphrey go alone.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm

"Well whoever goes where I guess is moot, but I would recommend at the first sign of trouble we should flee."

OOC: It doesn't matter at this point, I believe we're all stealthy except Talmut but he can cast invisibility, so we are a pretty stealthy party. At this point it's six one way half, a dozen the other I guess. I actually have a negative -2 charisma, so I'll try and not talk. lol

Jeremiah will give Gumphrey 25 magic arrows. (+3 arrows)
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:35 pm

"Well, why don't we let Gumphrey sneak in on his own? Jeremiah and I can both go with Talmut." 

Elodie then attempts to make herself look like a smaller, more delicate and feminine version of Talmut. "Do I look like a foreign traveler?" she smiles mischievously.

"Whenever you're ready, Talmut..." Elodie puts a hand on his shoulder and calls upon the spirits to assist him.

Cast Guidance on Talmut.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:Talmut ... can cast invisibility
OOC: I don't know that he can. It's not listed on his character sheet. He could buy the scroll, I guess.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:39 am

Quickly, Talmut casts a spell to remove the magical alarm from the closest window. Then, he casts another spell to make sure it worked. When he is finished, he informs you that he is ready.

- Dispel Magic Check = 31
- Followed by Detect Magic.

If everyone is ready, he will move to the front of the tower and approach the door.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:16 am

Mal wrote:OOC: I don't know that he can. It's not listed on his character sheet. He could buy the scroll, I guess.

OOC: I was going off of what he said Saturday at game, I wasn't implying that he was going to cast it tonight either. I was just making a general statement that everyone in our party can be pretty stealthy if need be. Of course if it is not a known spell for him, he would need to learn it or use a scroll. That magic shop may have a scroll.

"I am as ready as I'll ever be."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:24 am

Alpha wrote:OOC: I was going off of what he said Saturday at game.
OOC: Yeah, I figured as much. I was just clarifying. On Saturday, he sounded pretty positive that he had it. I don't know if he was going to pick that one and then changed his mind (and then forgot he changed his mind) or what happened ... but I figured I would point out that it's not on his sheet, yet, in case he wanted to learn it the next chance he gets.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 pm

O.O.C. - I am glad Elodie is coming with us inside.  She has a very good Sense Motive, and it will be invaluable here.  Prior to approaching the wizard tower, Talmut will make an Arcana check on the item, see if he truly believes it to be a dragon orb, and then share all that information, along with what a dragon orb can do, with the party.

The Conjuror will prepare himself by casting Detect Thoughts and then approaches the door and knocks.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 pm

As they approach the front door, Elodie whispers, "Can you introduce me, Talmut? I am not sure what an authentic name would be..."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:27 pm

OOC: Hey welcome back Talmut!
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Swifthand wrote:Prior to approaching the wizard tower, Talmut will make an Arcana check on the item, see if he truly believes it to be a dragon orb, and then share all that information, along with what a dragon orb can do, with the party.
After careful consideration, Talmut still suspects that this might be one of the fabled Dragon Orbs ... but he can't be absolutely certain. Not yet, anyway. For one thing, he hasn't seen what this can orb can do. For another thing, he's not really sure what all of the Dragon Orbs look like (there are supposed to be eight of them). At first, the mottled blue patterns on the surface of the orb made him think this orb contained the soul of a blue dragon, but then he remembered a story about that orb ... and in that story, the orb was said to be cobalt blue. But it could still be one of the other orbs.
Elodie wrote:As they approach the front door, Elodie whispers, "Can you introduce me, Talmut? I am not sure what an authentic name would be..."
Talmut wrote:The Conjurer will prepare himself by casting Detect Thoughts and then approaches the door and knocks.
Shortly after Talmut knocks, an age-worn little old man answers the door. Wearing lackluster brown servant-robes, he looks up at you with a raised eyebrow. "Can I help you?" 

Meanwhile, Gumphrey makes his entrance elsewhere.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:39 pm

OOC - Thanks!

Talmut raises an eyebrow as he inspects Elodie for a moment, obviously considering her query.  "Uanna is the light of the heavens - forever may they shine upon us.  Alternatively, Ninna is the wise, lady owl - mysterious and unknowable."  The Conqueror finishes with a slight bow.  "Either would suit you well, Lady Elodie."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:49 pm

"Yes!  We are scholars and travelers from the Fabled Lands seeking correspondence with your master.  Could you please fetch him?"
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Talmut wrote:"Yes!  We are scholars and travelers from the Fabled Lands seeking correspondence with your master.  Could you please fetch him?"
"Very well, I will go get him. How shall I introduce you?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am

Jeremiah will stand about five feet back keeping an eye on the street. He will try to look like he's the personal guard for these two scholars.

OOC: Power is out at my house, weak.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

"Sidarim-Xisper, Son of the Fourth House of Nu'ul, and company."
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Elodie bows dramatically low, and says, "Uanna of the Fabled Lands, companion of Sidarim-Xisper."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 pm

"Very well," the old man says, as he retreats down the hall. "You can wait in the Parlor."

The parlor, as it turns out, was the first door to your left. Furnished with padded chairs, heavy tapestries, marble statues, a wide stone hearth, and an easily accessible liquor shelf, the parlor was clearly designed for such receptions. Several large books can be found above the hearth, offering treatises on several obscure topics (The Geography of Eastern Arkonia, The History of Seasons and Cycles, A Study of Oozes and Aberrations, the Traditions and Customs of Fiends, and 1001 Uses for Dragon Viscera).

Maintaining concentration, Talmut is able to detect several thinking minds, but his awareness of them "blinks" in and out as they move through the castle (walls and other barriers can block or obscure the spell).

Then, the door opens and four guards walk in. Though unarmored, the guards carry thick batons, just like those Elodie witnessed earlier, when she was snooping around as a bird. The guards smile and great the party, as they enter, but then retreat to the four corners of the parlor. Talmut has enough time to "listen" to the surface thoughts of the guards. We must protect the master. It's nice for the master to have visitors, but no harm must befall the master. We must protect the master.

A minute or two later, the old man returns, followed by the "wizard" Talmut saw earlier (in his mind's eye). Dressed in fine golden-brown robes (cut and layered to resemble scales) with an embroidered gold-and-silver hem (and a matching belt), the man hides his face with a bronze mask that sports two little faux horns. The mask does nothing to obscure his bald head or his thick, white, braided beard.

The venerable servant speaks, "Allow me to introduce Lord Odbart von Kahler, Keeper of the Riddle and Guardian of the Secret Flame. M'lord, this is Sidarim-Xispur, Son of the Fourth House of Nu'ul ... his companion Uanna ... and his, um, chaperone?"

"Thank you, Manfred," the wizard says, as he strolls into the room. "You are excused."

The noble mage approaches you, cautiously, as he studies your visage and your demeanor. His eyes widen when he sees the ring that Talmut is wearing, and which point he bows and says "Greetings and welcome to my humble abode. I didn't not expect visitors at such a late hour, but clearly you have traveled a very long way. What can I do for you, great luminary from the Fabled Lands?"

Of course, Talmut is still maintaining his spell. When the man first entered the room, he was thinking At this hour? They must know about the orb! They are here to steal it! When he sees the ring, however, his thoughts change. A Meister Ring?! Scholars then. Phew. Very well. Best to find out what they want and speed them on their way.

Last edited by Malazek on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:52 am

Jeremiah will keep posted at the door.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Elodie curtsies, and then approaches the man, holding out her hand as she does so. She smiles as she says, "Lord Odbart von Kahler, what an honor to meet you. I am Unanna of the Fabled Lands. You have an exquisite beard! Please forgive us for calling so late, but our time is short in your lovely city. We could not resist calling upon such an esteemed wizard." She clears her throat. "Forgive me, I am a bit parched. Might I trouble you for a drink?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19 ... 31  Next