Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

4 posters

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants - Page 2 Empty Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega Sat May 03, 2014 11:08 am

Elodie wrote:"I'd like to follow at least one of these sets of tracks; both of the creatures that passed through here are unlike anything that I've ever encountered before!"

"Elodie, you are more then welcome to follow those tracks. Unfortunately, I can not afford to spare any of the troops to go with you. I have been granted these troops by the Chancellor to hunt down the giants in order to protect the city. However, I do agree that these tracks are intriguing and they very well may lead to uncovering some truth, but I can't afford to take that chance with the safety of the city at risk. If this was any other instance I would be more than happy to follow those tracks and search for such mythical beasts, but for me the time is not right. If you wish to follow them tonight I cannot stop you, but we will be leaving first thing in the morning and hope you to be here when we leave."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants - Page 2 Empty Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz Sat May 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Elodie sighs at Jeremiah's response, and then nods. "I understand why you feel the way that you do. However, as a defender of Umbrafall and a student of nature and beasts, I feel that it is my duty to investigate these tracks further." 

She turns to Gumphrey and takes his hands. "Gumphrey, I can't follow both sets of tracks but you're exactly right. Giant man, giant wolf--sounds right, doesn't it? Will you take Lindy and Glory and follow the hoof prints?" She pulls a vial out of a pouch on her belt and hands it to him. "This will make you stronger for a while, if you're willing to help me."

She then turns to Lindy. "Lindy, please go with Gumphrey and try to follow the tracks for a few hours. See if you three can learn anything about the creature, and try to be back here by morning. I am going to transform into a wolf and follow the larger wolf tracks."

If Gumphrey agrees, Elodie will thank him profusely. She will then whisper to Lindy, "If Gumphrey does, um...not survive, all I need is a little piece of him and I can bring him back again. Just a little chunk." 

She then turns and runs, transforming into a large black wolf as she passes through the gate.

Wild Shape: transform into Dire Wolf.
Survival (tracking): 25 (1 + 20 Survival + 4 Dire Wolf Scent Tracking), 42 (18 on the die), 29 (5 on the die), 42 (18 on the die), 36 (12 on the die)
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 8:46 am

Elodie wrote:"Gumphrey ... Will you take Lindy and Glory and follow the hoof prints?" She pulls a vial out of a pouch on her belt and hands it to him. 
"Lindy, please go with Gumphrey and try to follow the tracks for a few hours. See if you three can learn anything about the creature, and try to be back here by morning."
Gumphrey smiles. "Of course, Elodie!"
Lindy nods her consent. "... by morning. We'll do that."
Elodie wrote:She then turns and runs, transforming into a large black wolf as she passes through the gate.
Wild Shape: transform into Dire Wolf.
Survival (tracking): 25 (1 + 20 Survival + 4 Dire Wolf Scent Tracking), 42 (18 on the die), 29 (5 on the die), 42 (18 on the die), 36 (12 on the die)
Gumphrey and team mount-up and head-out shortly after Elodie leaves. "We'll be back by morning, Jeremiah. And if we're not, we'll catch up; we'll be on horseback, after all, and your men won't be."

Flint tells Talmut, "I'm glad you didn't ask me to go with them. My place is here, between you and the enemy."

OOC: The Tracking DC is 17, at first. You can move at full speed with a -5 penalty and at double speed with a -20.

Elodie races along, darting between and over the hills, following the massive paw prints. The path leads her westward at first, but quickly turns to the north. As she tracks the enormous creature, she is led higher and higher into the foothills, getting closer and closer to the mountains. At some points along the journey, she passes over a rill or runnel, but quickly picks up the prints again on the other side; the gigantic wolf-creature is clearly making no attempt to cover its tracks.

In this form, Elodie is able to track the creature at a relatively quick pace; at some points, she even amazes herself. Four legs and an acute sense of smell is an effective combination. Still, the trek takes her several hours.

At midnight, the fog around her begins to thicken (OOC: Raising the DC to 20 and then 23). It gets so thick, eventually, that she loses sight of the moon. Just when she suspects the fog might not be entirely natural, an huge wolf appears before her, emerging from the fog. Despite its enormous size, the creature moves with preternatural grace, with a certain "intelligence" behind its eyes.

Then, its voice! The mountainside trembles as it speaks in the Sylvan Tongue.

"YOU ARE NO ORDINARY WOLF! WHO ARE YOU? WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 am

Elodie drops her head in wolfish respect, and then responds in Sylvan.

"Great wolf, one could say the same of you! I am Elodie, druid of Kelbany; I am a humble servant of the spirits of nature. I have never seen tracks as mighty as yours before, and was curious about what great creature could leave such a trail."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 9:45 am

"ELODIE OF KELBANY? YOU ... YOU ARE THE DRUID WHO BEFRIENDED MY CHILDREN AT THE ARX SCOPULUS? TELL ME, ELODIE OF KELBANY, HOW DID THEY DIE?!" 
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 am

"I cannot say for sure, but I believe that your children died at the hands of a group of adventurers known as the Blackbirds. My friends and I barely escaped unscathed that day, as well. We have heard that they are a nasty group, but haven't seen then since then. I am so sorry to hear that those wolves were your children."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 am

"THE BLACKBIRDS?! WHERE DO THESE 'BLACKBIRDS' DWELL? IN UMBRAFALL, NO DOUBT. VERY WELL."

"AND WHO, THEN, BUILT THAT UGLY ZIGGURAT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY COUNTRY? IT BEARS THE STINK OF ABERRATION."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 pm

"Yes, the Blackbirds do dwell in Umbrafall, but so do many other innocent people. My party and I will inevitably deal with these Blackbirds again at some point...unless you would care to handle them, yourself? They are very strong, though, and I would hate for you to make your presence known in Umbrafall. Many adventurers would undoubtedly attempt to claim you for some sort of bounty, and that would probably be quite a nuisance."

"The ziggurat was created by a powerful wizard that I only know as Mittens. We have been sent to deal with the giants that are threatening this area, and had hoped that the ziggurat would serve as a home base for our party and the troops that have been sent with us. Have you encountered any giants in your territory? How big is your territory, anyway? And what do you call yourself?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 pm

"DON'T WORRY, YOUNG ELODIE, I WILL NOT VENTURE INTO THE CITY ... BUT IF I COME ACROSS THESE WRETCHED BLACKBIRDS, THEY WILL PAY DEARLY."

"MITTENS?! I THOUGHT IT SMELLED OF HIS HANDIWORK. VERY WELL, WE SHALL KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR 'BASE.'"

"I HAVE SEEN MANY GIANTS, AS OF LATE; THEY ARE A NUISANCE, BUT I DO NOT TROUBLE MYSELF WITH THEM."

"MY TERRITORY EXTENDS MANY MILES, FROM THE ELDERWOOD TO THE BOREAL HEADLAND AND FROM THE VERILE SEA TO THE ARKONIAN STEPS. I AM KNOWN AS MHORA MACTIRA MATHAIRA -- THE GREAT WOLF MOTHER."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 1:40 pm

"Great Wolf Mother, Mhora Mactira Mathaira--it has been an honor to speak with you, and I assure you that if I have the opportunity to assist with your quest for vengeance on the Blackbirds, I will do so. Thank you for allowing us to leave our base as it is; hopefully we will erradicate the giants from this area and they will bother you no more. I suppose I will head back to my party now...unless you have anything else to tell me, any advice or other tasks that I might be able to complete for you?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 2:16 pm

"THANK YOU, ELODIE OF KELBANY. YOU HAVE BEEN A FRIEND TO ME AND MY KIND. I HEREBY NAME YOU AS 'WOLF FRIEND' AND OFFER YOU A PARTING GIFT."

The great beast steps further from the fog, lowers her muzzle to the ground, and drops something at Elodie's feet. Then, she turns and bolts into the fog-shrouded hills, disappearing from view.

Elodie looks down and finds a while amulet on a slender rope. Examining it further, she realizes that the amulet itself is made of bone (or maybe tooth), carved into the likeness of a wolf. It is suspended from a rope of braided hair; possibly from strands of Mhora Mactira Mathaira's own fur. As soon as she picks it up, she realizes its power.

The fog immediately begins to clear. 

OOC: Wolf friend. No wolves of any sort will attack Elodie of their own volition ... but if she ever willingly harms a wolf, she loses this protection.

OOC: Gift of the Great Wolf Mother (amulet). As long as this amulet is worn, Elodie can use her Wild Shape ability five additional times per day, but only to transform into wolves. Furthermore, she can freely make use of the Scent ability, in any form.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Elodie transforms back into her human form and hangs the amulet around her neck. Utilizing the power of the amulet, she transforms back into wolf form and begins to head back toward the ziggurat as quickly as she can, wondering about the other group as she runs.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 6:36 pm

It's still dark when Elodie makes it back to base, but she may be able to catch a few hours of sleep before morning. It doesn't look like Gumphrey and crew have returned yet.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun May 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Elodie will crawl into her squishy, warm, comfy bed and catch a few hours of sleep.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun May 04, 2014 6:37 pm

Morning comes quickly.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon May 05, 2014 7:12 am

As soon as the day breaks Jeremiah will rally the troops and head out.

Survival (Tracking):+27

OOC: Here's hoping we still have a rogue...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 05, 2014 4:43 pm

The troops eagerly pack up their kits and follow Jeremiah as he tracks the frost giants. Gumphrey hasn't yet returned with the two assistants and Elodie clearly didn't get enough sleep. Still, the troops are raring to go.

OOC: Elodie is fatigued. That means she can't run or charge and has a -2 penalty to strength and dexterity. (Note: This is not attribute damage). In other words, she can still move double, but can't hit that x4 movement rate for running in a straight line; she can't use the charge maneuver; and she is -1 to all strength and dexterity rolls, as well as all strength and dexterity derived stats (like AC and Reflex, ranged attack rolls, etc). This penalty will go away when she gets 8 hours of rest, but anything that would normally make her fatigued will now make her exhausted.

The tracks lead to higher ground, as they wind through the foothills. As Jeremiah follows the giants footprints, he is leading his troops closer and closer to mountains. Before him, the sun rises over the Angers, beaming sunlight directly into your eyes.

As the journey continues, the climb becomes steeper and steeper, while the terrain becomes rockier and rockier. Although you haven't quite reached the actual mountains, Jeremiah is thoroughly convinced that he is heading into the mountains.

Before an hour has passed, the climb is almost too steep for the horses. Fortunately, the tracks lead you directly to an unmarked mountain pass. The path makes use of a narrow gorge that runs between two nearby peaks. The gorge is carpeted with sparse grass and the occasional pine, while the natural stone walls loom steeply on either side. Hundreds of boulders litter the gorge, evidence that cliff-sides are not entirely stable. Still, the gorge is relatively flat (compared to the mountain side, anyway), so the horses should be able to maneuver it.

The three corporals command the men to be quiet. Relying on their recent training, they move as quietly as they are able.

A hundred yards or so into the gorge, Elodie and Jeremiah both spot something up ahead. It looks like a body. No, wait, there's more of them. A dozen or so corpses lay scattered on the ground, roughly thirty yards ahead of you.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon May 05, 2014 5:44 pm

Elodie dismounts and hands the reins of her horse to the nearest soldier. "I can go ahead and check this out." She tosses a potion at Jeremiah. "If I come back and start pecking at your head, take this potion. It means I want to stay in bird form a bit longer and need to talk to you."

She transforms into a large, majestic bird and flies toward the bodies. First she flies high, attempting to get a better view of the area. If she determines that the area is no longer threatened by whatever left the bodies, she will swoop down and take a closer look at the corpses.

OOC: Potion of Speak With Animals, CL 3.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon May 05, 2014 7:22 pm

After waking, Talmut will send his unseen servant to get him some food and drink and begin to study his spells for the day.  Soon realizing that the Arx is way too quiet, the wizard attempts to find anyone. Discovering that everyone has left, including Mittens (though perhaps not Flint), Talmut heads to the top lookout at the Arx, to watch for giants.  If Flint is still there, Talmut will ask him to keep watch and begin working on magical crafting.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Talmut wrote:After waking, Talmut will send his unseen servant to get him some food and drink and begin to study his spells for the day.  Soon realizing that the Arx is way too quiet, the wizard attempts to find anyone. Discovering that everyone has left, including Mittens (though perhaps not Flint), Talmut heads to the top lookout at the Arx, to watch for giants.  If Flint is still there, Talmut will ask him to keep watch and begin working on magical crafting.
OOC: Meanwhile, back at the Arx Scopulus ...

Wondering where everyone is, Talmut heads to the highest vantage point the ziggurat has to offer. When he gets there, he finds Flint already manning the post.

"Good morning, Master Talmut! It looks like Jeremiah and the troops have already left. It's just the two us, here, now. I don't think Gumphrey ever made it back with Lindy and Glory. I hope they're alright."

After a few moments of small talk, he says "Well, if you would like to work this morning, I can handle the look-out. I wish they had left behind a few of those archers, though."

As Talmut turns to go below, he sees a lone rider cresting a distant hill ... heading toward the Arx Scopulus.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Is he headed for the gate?

"Flint, would you back me up?"

Talmut will head to the gatehouse with Flint to meet the stranger.
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Talmut wrote:Is he headed for the gate?
OOC: He will be, yes. Talmut would realize that after a minute or two.
Talmut wrote:"Flint, would you back me up?"
"Absolutely."
Talmut wrote:Talmut will head to the gatehouse with Flint to meet the stranger.
Together, Talmut and Flint head to the gatehouse. When the stranger arrives, Talmut sees that it is the same rider Jeremiah sent back to town ... still riding Jeremiah's horse.

If Talmut lets him in ...

"Did they leave without me? I delivered the message as commanded."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue May 06, 2014 5:20 pm

First, Talmut turns to his bodyguard.  "Flint, please open the gate."

Then, the conjuror turns to address the newcomer.  "I am sure that the need was great, considering Deputy Jeremiah's haste.  I am Talmut Xisper, Deputy of Umberfall, and companion to the deputies Jeremiah, Gumphry, and Lady Elodie.  This is my bodyguard and aide-de-camp, Flint Fortescue.  We plan to use the Arx as a forward defense against the giant incursion.  What is your name and rank, soldier, and what word do you bring from Umberfall?"

O.O.C. - Considering that wizards used to live here, are there any special components around, specifically, a silver mirror worth 1000 gps, or two identical chests, one a miniature version of the other normal sized one?

Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Talmut wrote:First, Talmut turns to his bodyguard.  "Flint, please open the gate."
Flint does so, with haste.
Talmut wrote:"What is your name and rank, soldier, and what word do you bring from Umberfall?"
"Private-Recruit Olfreth Forteer, at your service, Deputy Xispur. The Lord-Chancellor sends this correspondence." Then, he hands Talmut a scroll case.

When Talmut opens the case and unfurls the scroll, he reads the following ...

To: the deputies Jeremiah, Elodie, Talmut, and Gumphrey:

It has come to our attention that a stronghold of sorts has been constructed in the hills north of the city. As we cannot abide the risk of such a stronghold falling into enemy hands, we are sending a garrison of troops to secure the location. The troops will be led by Captain Duraina Drake. Please, welcome her when she arrives.

We can address the legality of the construction at a future date and time. For the time being, please continue with your efforts to locate the enemy. When the threat has been removed, all will be made right.

The Vicereine and I thank you for your loyalty and dedication,

Talmut wrote:O.O.C. - Considering that wizards used to live here, are there any special components around, specifically, a silver mirror worth 1000 gps, or two identical chests, one a miniature version of the other normal sized one?
Having had a week to search the ruins, Talmut knows exactly where such chests can be located: one of the "boxes" in the secret lab is a miniature replica of the chest that the party left in the third bedroom. The larger of the two was filled with musty old blankets; the smaller filled with fine brown-gray powder that Talmut has identified as ground mushrooms.

A mirror of that size is quite valuable, but (unfortunately) cannot be found on site. There a few smaller mirrors in the bedrooms and one of the boxes in the lab is filled with mirror-like shards of glass ... but nothing that suits Talmut's needs for a mirror.

Last edited by Malazek on Tue May 06, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Elodie wrote:Elodie ... transforms into a large, majestic bird and flies toward the bodies. First she flies high, attempting to get a better view of the area. If she determines that the area is no longer threatened by whatever left the bodies, she will swoop down and take a closer look at the corpses.
As Elodie soars upward for a better view, she sees three giants on a broad ledge high upon the cliff. Heavily muscled with frost-white skin and long pale blue hair, the giants seem to be on high alert, as if listening for something. They do not seem to be watching the bodies.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next