Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

3 posters

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Glitz Thu May 14, 2015 9:14 pm

"How many magic-users can you count, Talmut? And what are the dragons doing?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 7 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Malazek Fri May 15, 2015 5:36 am

Talmut wrote:"How many magic-users can you count, Talmut? And what are the dragons doing?"
"Five. The dragons seem to be just standing there. Waiting to be commanded, maybe?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun May 17, 2015 2:25 pm

"Sounds like assaulting that keep will be difficult with just us. Maybe trying to lure some out or creating a diversion would be worth some thought."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 am

"Here's another thought -- I could run in, set them all on fire, and teleport back. It won't kill them all, but it would probably thin the crowd!"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Mon May 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Sounds like assaulting that keep will be difficult with just us. Maybe trying to lure some out or creating a diversion would be worth some thought."
Elodie wrote:"Here's another thought -- I could run in, set them all on fire, and teleport back. It won't kill them all, but it would probably thin the crowd!"
"That sounds risky."

"Yes, but if Elodie could cause enough destruction, and still get out safely, the survivors will undoubtedly come looking for us ... some of them, anyway. We could use the opportunity to lure some of them to a strategic location; fight them on our terms."

"Or, we could lure them to a false location, and assault the citadel while their forces are wounded and divided."

"Perhaps."

"Elodie? Jeremiah? What do you think?"

"Elodie, are you sure you want to take such a dangerous risk? And if so, do we then lure the enemy somewhere to fight it? Or do we lure them out, so we can assault whomever they leave behind?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon May 18, 2015 6:25 pm

"Well, it can go one of two ways. But if Elodie is up for the challenge we can give it a go. I would think luring them to a strategic location of our choosing would be best."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Well, it can go one of two ways. But if Elodie is up for the challenge we can give it a go. I would think luring them to a strategic location of our choosing would be best."
"Then perhaps we should revisit the maps that Jarl Ulfstadson gave us? Look for such a location?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed May 20, 2015 8:40 am

Jeremiah will move the party to the map room to examine the area.

Geography: [16 + 8] + 17 = 41
Perception: [22 + 8] + 12 = 42
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 21, 2015 5:41 am

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will move the party to the map room to examine the area.
Geography: [16 + 8] + 17 = 41, Perception: [22 + 8] + 12 = 42
Moving to the map room of the Arx, the party pours over their maps of Jotun Valley, looking for a strategic location to lure the enemy. Obviously, the location must be one that will not allow the dragons to fly over head, breathing down upon the party. Nor should it be a location that the party cannot retreat from, if retreat becomes necessary.

After an hour of looking at the maps, the party settles on a deep cave system, with several narrow exists but only one mouth large enough for dragons to squeeze through. A narrow stream flows from the central cave-mouth, fed by an internal waterfall. The main chamber offers several side passages, to allow individual party members to find cover (or escape) if need be.

That looks like your best option. Hopefully, the cave is unoccupied.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm

looking to the rest of the party...

"Any rest or last minute preparations before we go? Talmut, can you teleport us to this location?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Talmut, can you teleport us to this location?"
"After we rest, I should be able to."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue May 26, 2015 7:08 am

Talmut wrote:"After we rest, I should be able to."

"Sounds good. Shall we reconvene in eight hours then prepared for the fight of our lives?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Sounds good. Shall we reconvene in eight hours then prepared for the fight of our lives?"
Everyone agrees and morning comes swiftly.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue May 26, 2015 10:28 pm

In the morning, Elodie wakes up and takes an hour to prepare herself for the day's events. After everyone else is awake and gathered, she says, "Perhaps it would be a good idea to check out the cave first. And how would you like to lure them out, Jeremiah? I'm not comfortable going into the citadel if I'm not teleporting out, which isn't going to 'lead' them out. Any other ideas?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue May 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Elodie wrote:In the morning, Elodie wakes up and takes an hour to prepare herself for the day's events. After everyone else is awake and gathered, she says, "Perhaps it would be a good idea to check out the cave first. And how would you like to lure them out, Jeremiah? I'm not comfortable going into the citadel if I'm not teleporting out, which isn't going to 'lead' them out. Any other ideas?"
"We still want you to utter your "Word of Recall," in order to get out of there. If you would like the Arx to be your sanctuary, I can teleport us from here to the cave. Otherwise, we could teleport to the cave first, and you could prepare your sanctuary there. As far as luring them out, I have no doubt these powerful magic-users have the ability to scry, as I do. Once you've roasted them alive, they will surely seek us out ... some of them, anyway."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue May 26, 2015 11:00 pm

"As long as the plan does not involve me leading them on foot through the valley to the cave, I am more than happy to surprise them with a little fire. So, I'll tree step to the fortress, char some wizards, meet you all at the Arx, and then we will proceed to the cave?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu May 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Elodie wrote:"As long as the plan does not involve me leading them on foot through the valley to the cave, I am more than happy to surprise them with a little fire. So, I'll tree step to the fortress, char some wizards, meet you all at the Arx, and then we will proceed to the cave?"
"Yeah, that would be way too risky."

"Yes, well, I can teleport everyone else to the cave, just to see what we're dealing with. Then, I'll come back to give Elodie the go ahead. I'll wait here until she comes back, and then I'll teleport the both of us to the cave ... where we will wait for the backlash. Sound right?"

"That's how I understood it."

"Me too. Anybody see something the rest of us are missing? Is everyone clear on the plan?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 29, 2015 7:20 am

"Sounds good."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Finally, Talmut weaves the necessary hand signs and utters the word of power, which transports himself to the cave, with Jeremiah and Gumphrey and Miphelgara. Talmut takes a moment to study the cave, and then repeats the spell, returning to the Arx, where he reunites with Elodie.

Back at the cave, Jeremiah and company verify that the cave system is indeed deep, with a large central cavern. At the back of the main cavern, a free-falling waterfall feeds the stream which races toward the main mouth of the cave, and then out into the world. Several smaller passages join at the central chamber, any one of which could easily serve as both a choke point and an exit, too small for any dragon to fit through.

Back at the Arx, Talmut reappears next to Elodie. "Are you ready, then? Cast whatever magicks you need to ready yourself before you go. I will wait here for your return. And may the fates favor you."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri May 29, 2015 8:49 pm

To prepare herself for battle, Elodie will cast multiple spells on herself to make herself stronger and her magic more powerful. 

Cast Stoneskin, Freedom of Movement, and Tree Step.

Elodie will then travel to the structure in the valley. Once she arrives and has separated herself from the trees, she will cast another spell.

Cast Owl's Wisdom.

Once she has cast her spells, she will look for the easiest way to enter the keep.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri May 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Elodie wrote:To prepare herself for battle, Elodie will cast multiple spells on herself to make herself stronger and her magic more powerful. 
Cast Stoneskin, Freedom of Movement, and Tree Step.
Elodie will then travel to the structure in the valley. Once she arrives and has separated herself from the trees, she will cast another spell.
Cast Owl's Wisdom.
Once she has cast her spells, she will look for the easiest way to enter the keep.
Standing close to the citadel now, Elodie sees that the main gate is unbarred. The heavy draw bridge and portcullis that once stood in the massive archway have been torn free from their bearings, leaving the entry way open to any who would dare approach. As she casts he final spell in preparation for the assault, she notices the silhouette of the largest dragon above the distant hills, approaching fast. It probably hasn't noticed her from so far, but it is approaching fast, leaving her just enough time to do what she came here for.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri May 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Jeremiah will determine the best choke point with an exit, then start to prepare himself for battle. He will recommend everyone to follow suit.

- Knowledge: Dungeoneering +10 + 4 + 7 = 21
- Knowledge: Geography +16 + 4 + 8 = 28
- Stealth: + 21 + 16 = 37

- Favored Enemy: Humanoid Human (+2 Attk / +2 Dmg) +2 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks.
- Favored Enemy: Dragon (+4 Attk / +4 Dmg) +4 bonus on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks.

- Cats Grace  DEX + 4
- Owls Wisdom WIS + 4
- Bears Endurance  CON +4

As soon as Elodie is in the cave he will share last minute insights into fighting dragons.
- 4 rds, hunters bond shares favored enemy bonus, halved, with party.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat May 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Elodie will crouch down and run to the wall, attempting to not draw attention to herself in any way as she runs. Once she reaches the wall, she will flatten herself against it and creep toward the gate. Once she reaches the gate, she will peek inside to see if there is any activity.

Stealth +27
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat May 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will determine the best choke point with an exit, then start to prepare himself for battle. He will recommend everyone to follow suit.
With great expertise, Jeremiah locates the best tunnels from which to stage an ambush; tunnels that will prevent larger enemies from following, while providing both a place to a hide and route to escape through. He claims the best of these spots for himself and directs his comrades to the others. Waiting for Elodie and Talmut to return, he steels himself for battle.
Elodie wrote:Elodie will crouch down and run to the wall, attempting to not draw attention to herself in any way as she runs. Once she reaches the wall, she will flatten herself against it and creep toward the gate. Once she reaches the gate, she will peek inside to see if there is any activity.
Elodie reaches the gate, apparently unnoticed. As she peeks around the corner, to survey the opposition, she spies five figures standing in the courtyard, each dressed in robes of a different color (black, blue, green, white, and silver).

Behind them, upon a dais of stone, stands nine pedestals, six of which are supporting glowing orbs. The center pedestal is the tallest, supporting a red orb with black splotches that resemble cooling lava. The other orbs are black, blue, green, white, and silver.

Above the the casters, resting atop the defensive walls, are two dragons; one green and one blue.

As Elodie watches, another robed figure emerges from the castle proper. Dresses in red robes with black trim, he stands a full foot taller than the others and carries and a twisted wooden staff. There is something oddly familiar about this imposing figure, but what Elodie notices most about him is the necklace of wolf teeth around his neck. He yells at the other magi, berating them in an unknown tongue, and then turns back to the main keep, disappearing into the depth of the inner citadel.

Now is her chance.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 pm

From the gate, Elodie will raise her hands, wiggle her fingers, and set the courtyard ablaze. "I'll be waiting!" she cackles as everything starts to burn.

Cast Fire Storm (30 10-ft cubes to include the hooded figures and dragons, and to do as much damage to the courtyard as possible)
Damage: 59

Once the spell has been cast, Elodie will recall herself to the Arx, to meet Talmut.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next