Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Thank you greatly princess; I hope I can repay you in some way. You are too kind."

Alex's mind is already buzzing with plans; as the librarian leads them to the doors he is chatting already.

"Right. Straegis; you go to the first floor and I'll hit the second. You should search for stuff on the conflicts with the dwarves; if there have ever been any...I'll look for Rockbender stuff. Unless of course you have other plans; Princess; is there anything you wish to search for? If not then perhaps you could aid Straegis; unless of course you understand arcane text, then I would be severely greatful for your..."

Alex's jaw drops when he see's the massive library, although unkept and unloved it seems, its size simply makes up for that. It dwarfs the ice building in Imil. He wonders how much history is locked up here. "...assistance."

He waits to be directed by the librarian to the second floor and then begins to search for anything to do with elemental magic. He forms ghostly hands out of water to dust or lift any books he cannot reach normally. He asks the librarian for some paper and a pen (dropping as many coins as will be required into her hand, and telling her it is important business indeed) he doesn't wish to copy entirebooks or chapters, just to make notes on anything useful.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:"Honestly, I have it a bit easier than the other Lord-Generals. Even though I lead the lowest number of troops, my troops are (on average) the most elite. The High-General grants me the leeway necessary to employ 'unusual' troops, and persons with niche skills. We won't have to patrol with the others; not on the walls, not in the hills, and not through the streets. We'll have the freedom to wait until a clear objective is in sight, and then we'll address it head on."

"I guess I have you to thank for that; well, you and your former squad. The Empire realized after the Ritland campaign that the Empire's greatest assets were being squandered; lost among multitudes of the less talented."

"Not that they aren't useful. Certianly, we could never do what we do if not for them."

"Am I rambling? Sorry. It must be the ale."

Mordax says "If it's such an issue tae ya', why no' brevet me fer tha' duration o' tha' campaign?"
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Halcyon wrote:Relieved to finally arrive, Verity allows himself a moment to take in his surroundings. The towering spires and and sweeping buttresses of the temples throw long shadows over the Queen's High Temple. It stands a bit shorter than the other temples of the district and the lack of ostentatious decoration on the Temple of the Queen contrasts sharply. The simple lines and dark patina of the stone exude a quiet serenity. The weathered sculptures covering the walls are a window back to the last age and the age before: Tales of the trials of heroes and the trickery of devils, of wars between the old gods and the new, and other stories too cryptic to discern, lost to ancient history. The tiles and finials of the spires high above glow in the early evening light. The paladin feels that perhaps the noise and clamor of the crowded dirty city is worthwhile after all, that it's citizens might worship in a setting so fine as this.

Verity hitches Zephyr to the nearest available post and enters the Temple. Moving between the massive pillars of the hall, he approaches the nearest unoccupied clergyman. "I am Verity Servinus, once pupil to Jugugg and then to WoeVangg Rinh of the Cave Temple. I seek audience with Her Holiness the Primus Inter Pares. It regards urgent matters both of the Faith and of the empire. We must hasten brother, for war is upon us."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis agrees with Alex and heads for the first floor, he tells librarian "I'd be most interested in racial and regional histories, non-ficton of course, and any technical drawings or maps that may have been written around the time this city was being built. May I also get paper and a writing utensil?" Straegis then gives the woman 5 gold before whispering to her "Kind marm, has anyone else been here looking for these type of items recently?" He waits for her answer and slips her another 5 gold before saying, "Would you be kind enough to let me, or my associates know if someone does come looking for them?"

O.O.C.: The history rolls from earlier were actually because Straegis was looking around for tapestries, artwork, and books which he recognized.

Straegis will look first for the technical books and drawings he asked for, then on to dwarven historical texts, especially their military histories. Next he searches for books on Talthanin, and lastly he searches for books about the Maor, the Eladrin, and because his curiosity gets the best of him he attempts to find any writings about his father.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:He asks the librarian for some paper and a pen (dropping as many coins as will be required into her hand, and telling her it is important business indeed) he doesn't wish to copy entirebooks or chapters, just to make notes on anything useful.
Handing Alex paper, a quill, and an small bottle of ink, the librarian says "If yer on'y gonna copy notes, an' not va'ueble ritu'ls, then it'll on'y be 5 gold fer the paper. Ritu'ls are mo'e, obv'ously."

Then, Alex sets to work looking for anything related to elemental magic. Within minutes, he realizes he isn't the only person looking through the books on this floor (there's maybe ten other scholars here) ... but he also realizes there are more works on the subject than he could read in a day. Perhaps he should narrow his search to a more specific focus?

OOC: That is, what kind of information is he looking for?
And drop a few search rolls, please
.

Straegis wrote:Straegis ... heads for the first floor, he tells librarian "I'd be most interested in racial and regional histories, non-ficton of course, and any technical drawings or maps that may have been written around the time this city was being built. May I also get paper and a writing utensil?" Straegis then gives the woman 5 gold before whispering to her "Kind marm, has anyone else been here looking for these type of items recently?" He waits for her answer and slips her another 5 gold before saying, "Would you be kind enough to let me, or my associates know if someone does come looking for them?"
Looking down at the coins in her hand she responds, Certianly. Sev'ral someones 'ave been in 'ere lately. Are ya referin' to someone specific?

Straegis wrote:O.O.C.: The history rolls from earlier were actually because Straegis was looking around for tapestries, artwork, and books which he recognized.
He doesn't recognize the specific art works, but he does recognize some of the content matter. Some of it depicts events related to the founding of Etol, but most of the portraits are of great scholars and sages from the library's past. A few are tributes to the god Ioun and other deities.

Straegis wrote:Straegis will look first for the technical books and drawings he asked for, then on to dwarven historical texts, especially their military histories. Next he searches for books on Talthanin, and lastly he searches for books about the Maor, the Eladrin, and because his curiosity gets the best of him he attempts to find any writings about his father.
Like Alex on the floor above, Straegis soon realizes there is too much relavent information here to read through in a single day. According to the card catalog, there are literally thousands of works on regional history, and several treatises on Dwarf-lore and Eladrin-lore. Quite a few were written 'around' the time of the city's founding, but only a dozen or so were ALSO written in the immediate area. Talthanin is mentioned in maybe twenty different sources, but nothing is found about the Maor. Marshal Straegis I is mentioned in only three books, and both are relatively recent.

Perhaps is would be wise to narrow your searches?
And drop a few Perception rolls.

Verity wrote:"I am Verity Servinus, once pupil to Jugugg and then to WoeVangg Rinh of the Cave Temple. I seek audience with Her Holiness the Primus Inter Pares. It regards urgent matters both of the Faith and of the empire. We must hasten brother, for war is upon us."
"The cave temple? Pares?" the cleric says, with barely hidden contempt. Pointing to rear door, he adds "I don't think the Oracle is dispensing wisdom at the moment."

As if on cue, the rear door burst open. A beautiful, yet elderly, woman stands silhouetted in the doorway. "Prophet Verity, approach."

The younger cleric's draw jobs, and he mutters "I stand corrected ... your ... holiness."

Mordax wrote:Mordax says "If it's such an issue tae ya', why no' brevet me fer tha' duration o' tha' campaign?"
"Well, it's not such a big deal, really. But the High-General frowns on awarding Brevet ranks to unlisted personel. Still, maybe we can use this to our advantage, and utilize your civilian freedom."

"Anyway, here comes the Lt. Colonel, now."


Darnell Velius approaches, and whispers "There were indeed several Dwarves at the inn Davin mentioned. I have my most discreet men staying in the adjacent rooms, listening for anything that might be useful to us."

"Very well. Perhaps we should ..."

Just then, you hear panicked voices yelling outside, but you cannot make out what they are saying. Rushing out to the fields, Mordax realizes most of the troops are equally confused, and are standing dumfounded looking toward the perimeter wall behind you. Looking over his shoulder, he then sees that the men on top of the wall are yelling something: "What should we do?! Get the ..."

"Lord-General!! The gates have been sealed shut! There's no way for any of you to get back behind the walls."


Draxus looks to Mordax and says, "And so it begins ..."

Looking up to the men on the walls, he yells "They sealed both gates? How?!"

"They're just ... gone. Bricked over -like ... or stoned-over, whatever. Sir!"

"Get as many men on these walls as you can. We're going to try and march as many as we can along the banks and toward the next nearest gates. The others will have to go another way. MOVE, soldier!"

"Mordax, I figure we move as many as we can, and then get creative about the rest. Got any ideas?"
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:Just then, you hear panicked voices yelling outside, but you cannot make out what they are saying. Rushing out to the fields, Mordax realizes most of the troops are equally confused, and are standing dumfounded looking toward the perimeter wall behind you. Looking over his shoulder, he then sees that the men on top of the wall are yelling something: "What should we do?! Get the ..."

"Lord-General!! The gates have been sealed shut! There's no way for any of you to get back behind the walls."


Draxus looks to Mordax and says, "And so it begins ..."

Looking up to the men on the walls, he yells "They sealed both gates? How?!"

"They're just ... gone. Bricked over -like ... or stoned-over, whatever. Sir!"

"Get as many men on these walls as you can. We're going to try and march as many as we can along the banks and toward the next nearest gates. The others will have to go another way. MOVE, soldier!"

"Mordax, I figure we move as many as we can, and then get creative about the rest. Got any ideas?"

Reacting immediately, Mordax takes a few strides, surveying the situation.

To the Lord General he says "It's done. They've outmaneuvered us, an' I'll wager ye'll no find entrance any way ye march. Ye've twa' choices here, General; either retreat an' regroup atop tha' hill I saw comin' in, or set tae a siege position. One way or another, though, we need tae breech oor own walls. I'll bet mae soul we've comp'ny on tha' way tae flank us."

At that, Mordax immediately begins bellowing orders to the surrounding NCO's.

"You there, ya' yellow-bellied swamp lizard! Get yer' men in order an' stand to, or I'll make ye' wish ye'd ne'er left yer' mo'ers' teat! Sergeant o' Arms, take command o' tha' lost troop behind tha' pickets! "Tae' arms, tae' arms, an' Empire an' all!"

Grabbing a boy barely old enough to shave, he roars above the bedlam "Sound tha' order, trumpeter, tae arms an' assemble!"

Intimidate 1d20=2+7+2 circumstance (seen with the LG? Mebbe?) =11 (9)

Looking at the old man with a grim expression, he says "Orders, General?"
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:Reacting immediately, Mordax takes a few strides, surveying the situation.

To the Lord General he says "It's done. They've outmaneuvered us, an' I'll wager ye'll no find entrance any way ye march. Ye've twa' choices here, General; either retreat an' regroup atop tha' hill I saw comin' in, or set tae a siege position. One way or another, though, we need tae breech oor own walls. I'll bet mae soul we've comp'ny on tha' way tae flank us."
"Right, then. Defensive positions, it is. I'll go get the other High-General ... hopefully Antares can organize the forces that are still on the inside!" (The HG and most of the LGs are still out here in the training fields, but Antares went to interrogate Maberon).

LG Draxus Ferall runs into the command structure, followed closely by Bluto Rexus. Lt. Colonel Velius silently follows Mordax; listening, watching, waiting.

Mordax wrote:At that, Mordax immediately begins bellowing orders to the surrounding NCO's.

"You there, ya' yellow-bellied swamp lizard! Get yer' men in order an' stand to, or I'll make ye' wish ye'd ne'er left yer' mo'ers' teat! Sergeant o' Arms, take command o' tha' lost troop behind tha' pickets! "Tae' arms, tae' arms, an' Empire an' all!"

Grabbing a boy barely old enough to shave, he roars above the bedlam "Sound tha' order, trumpeter, tae arms an' assemble!"
Some of the soldiers jump to Mordax's barking, others just waddle around confused. Despite their training, nobody is prepared for this.

Prince Helfare is one of the first respond, "Walls and rivers on all sides, we're trapped by our own defenses? I sent some of my scouts to follow the embankments around the walls; hopefully they are swifter than Dwarven magic ... though, I imagine your plan is soundest. My men are going to take cover in those tiny copses just west and north of your hills." Then, he heads off toward the hill Mordax suggested; in the distance, you see the Elven troops marching there already.

Then, the HG and the LGs pile out of the command structure.

Mordax wrote:Looking at the old man with a grim expression, he says "Orders, General?"
Mordax's question wakes the Hg from his pondering, and he says Right. We're not all going to fit on that hill ... and gathering into a sfae position has gotten us in trouble. Let's split up.

Draxus and Arietess take your men to the hill there and there.
Pollux and Spica, get half your men to the gates; if they come through, somehow, we'll be ready.
Aldabaran and Karkinos, you're with me. Have your men form up around the command structure.
Chiron and Regulus, provide support from the middle field here.
Van-Pysium and Liber, form up around the river. Make sure they can't cross.
Phaeton, take those other hills, on the far end."

"Have some of your men begin constructing siege equipment and bridges and boats, if at all possible. If you have anyone capable of scaling or going around the walls, then send them. We need to establish communication with the inside."


Shaking his head, he digresses "All of our planning reduced to such a pitiful beginning."

The LGs run to their various units, trying deperately to organize under such circumstances. Many of the troops are still inside (or elsewhere), but whether they know yet what is happening remains unclear; and many of units that are here are seperated from the immediate officers.

Those who are present do their best to fill in the gaps, stepping up and/or covering units besides their own. The formations are sloppy and slow to respond, but they do eventually move.

Mordax, alongside LG Ferall's troops, moves to the large hill near the southwest end of the field; though a bit unorganized, Mordax estimates that Draxus has maybe 2700 men here (less than a full regiment), and only about 600 are fully trained. The rest of his men must be elsewhere (based on what the HG said earlier, each of the LGs should command roughly 37,500 men).

Looking to the fields, Mordax's estimates there's 30 to 35 thousand Imperials in this field, plus maybe 10 thousand elves; a fraction of the city's defenses, but a substantial fraction.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Swifthand wrote:Too many for me alone...

I quietly turn around and head back out of the pipe.

Stealth check=29

"Reed, Hound - let's go. We need to catch up with the others."

I keep my senses alert as we race back.

Perception check=26

-Swift
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:38 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax settles into a grim calm, knowing the outcome before the fact; he'd been here before, on many a killing ground.

After seeing to a defensive perimeter of spears and shields 'round the entire hill (ensuring the soldiers are packed shoulder to shoulder for maximum effectiveness) he turns to Draxus.

"Laird," he says, "this is madness. This hillock is oor epitaph. This should be fer' tha' command center, tha' High General an' 'is entourage, while the bulk of tha' combined force should march en masse aboot tha' city to face tha' invasion o' Fomorians an' lot sure tae come. There's little more than untrained boys 'ere, an' oor only strength is numbers. Tha' High General is a fool in this."

Spitting, he looks around to make sure none heard his morale-defeating observations.

OOC: passive perception is still better than active.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:"The cave temple? Pares?" the cleric says, with barely hidden contempt. Pointing to rear door, he adds "I don't think the Oracle is dispensing wisdom at the moment."

As if on cue, the rear door burst open. A beautiful, yet elderly, woman stands silhouetted in the doorway. "Prophet Verity, approach."

The younger cleric's draw jobs, and he mutters "I stand corrected ... your ... holiness."

In the presence of the Oracle Verity forgets everything else: the young Cleric, the mourners weeping, the ancient Temple itself melts away. Later he does not so much as remember crossing the distance between them. He kneels and kisses the silver thread at the hem of her robe.
“Most Exhalted Primus, I am blessed beyond measure that you grant audience to a humble Knight such as me. I come to petition your aid. The tempest you foretold is upon us, and manifest as war. The Dwarves in their avarice scheme a plot against the Empire. Already they attack Imperials within the city walls, I among them. Tunnelers that they are, the Dwarves may strike from below; we must defend the catacombs that they not find advantage through the home of our dead.”
Struck by a sudden realization, he looks up at the Oracle dazedly. "The rest of what I came to tell, you already know…”He collects himself and continues, “Among the Faithful there are those who argue that one’s own death is the same as one’s enemy’s in the eyes of the Goddess. True, the Queen is harsh as the coldest winter and She stands above justice. But I know She would have us win this fight for She loves Her faithful. Of that I am sure. So I beg that you bring what aid you can to bear. Shine a light through the darkness ahead, Great Oracle, that Her warp and weft bring us weal and not woe.”

Diplomacy: 34 (using Astral Speech)
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Ok. Rolls.

Insight: Do any of these guys feel like they're looking for books on the same topic. 5.

Perception: Find me a good book/Passage/Whatever. 23 (My modifier is +4 if you need more rolls.)

Arcana: Understand text/use correct words for search terms to get rid of misnomers etc. 20 (Modifer +12.)

------------------

After a little initial searching Alex chooses a scholar at random and questions him on what he's looking for. "Hello there. I was just wondering what you're reading about...anything interesting?"

----------------

Diplomacy 10.
Insight on his reply. Rolled for it (as in; he's actively searchign for lies; for a 7).
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I quietly turn around and head back out of the pipe. Stealth check=29
[color=green]"Reed, Hound - let's go. We need to catch up with the others."

I keep my senses alert as we race back.Perception check=26
Racing back toward the city, movement catches Davin's eye, but when he looks again there is nothing to see. Keeping his movements hidden and his senses sharp, he leads his team ever closer; watching for whatever it was he saw.

Then, he sees it again. Or did he?
Yes, there!

A small hillock, maybe half a mile ahead of him, just moved!
It didn't move far, maybe 15 feet; but it DID move!

Drawing closer, Davin realizes he is walking along (following) some of the the same wheeled tracks he saw earlier ... and the same mule prints. Reed saw it, too, because he touches Davin's arm and points to the ground.

Scanning the horizon, Davin seems similiar sized hills in the distance, any number of which could also be moving forward, ever so slowly!

Mordax wrote:"this is madness. This hillock is oor epitaph. This should be fer' tha' command center, tha' High General an' 'is entourage, while the bulk of tha' combined force should march en masse aboot tha' city to face tha' invasion o' Fomorians an' lot sure tae come. There's little more than untrained boys 'ere, an' oor only strength is numbers. Tha' High General is a fool in this."
"Er, what? March about the city? But how? We're trapped, between wall and river. Mordax, you got another one of those clever ideas of yours? If so, let me have it; if we can get these boys over the wall, then I say let's do it!"

Verity wrote:“Most Exhalted Primus, I am blessed beyond measure that you grant audience to a humble Knight such as me. I come to petition your aid. The tempest you foretold is upon us, and manifest as war. The Dwarves in their avarice scheme a plot against the Empire. Already they attack Imperials within the city walls, I among them. Tunnelers that they are, the Dwarves may strike from below; we must defend the catacombs that they not find advantage through the home of our dead.”

Struck by a sudden realization, he looks up at the Oracle dazedly. "The rest of what I came to tell, you already know…”He collects himself and continues, “Among the Faithful there are those who argue that one’s own death is the same as one’s enemy’s in the eyes of the Goddess. True, the Queen is harsh as the coldest winter and She stands above justice. But I know She would have us win this fight for She loves Her faithful. Of that I am sure. So I beg that you bring what aid you can to bear. Shine a light through the darkness ahead, Great Oracle, that Her warp and weft bring us weal and not woe.”

Diplomacy: 34
"Individual crypts are protected by mighty seals, put in place by the Tombwarders; and the catacombs are patrolled by deadly Graveguardians, out on loan from the Queen. If the Dwarves aim to tunnel beneath us, they'd be wise to avoid the homes of the dead."

"But bring me the evacuated vessel of the enemy, and we shall speak with his departed soul. We will find out what secrets he took to his everafter."


Alex wrote:Do any of these guys [i]feel like they're looking for books on the same topic?
Perception: Find ... a good book/Passage/Whatever.
Arcana: Understand text/use correct words for search terms to get rid of misnomers etc.

After a little initial searching Alex chooses a scholar at random and questions him on what he's looking for. "Hello there. I was just wondering what you're reading about...anything interesting?"
Alex isn't really sure what to think of the other scholars, but feels a bit suspicious, anyway. Nevertheless, he finds some relevant reference materials and drags them to a convient table for study (some other tomes also looked interesting, but were cataloged as in the basement).

Before digging in the books, Alex questions one of the nearby scholars; who then responds "Who me? I'm just going back over some old research. I've been trying to create a new spell, but I think I got one of my gestures miscopied. And you?"

When Alex eventually returns to his texts, he begins to pour through them. Most of it is pretty basic common knowledge or trivial useless data. ... eventually, however, he stumbles across these nuggets ...

WISE STONE, THE.
The Wise Stone is an place of great cultural and academic significance to the Rockbenders of the Bitten Peaks; formed from a single piece of undetermined stone, it is believed that that the Wise Stone radiates powerful magical energies.
See also: Ley Nexuses.

SANDBENDERS.
Terramancers are nearly as common among the heathens of the Great Peninsula as they are among the Dwarvers. Mostly human, these elementalists are referred to [effectionately] as "Sandbenders" by their Dwarven counterparts. Sandbenders tend to possess more fine control, but less crude power, than Rockbenders.
See also: Ironbenders
.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:40 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis decides to first focus his attention on the 10-12 books that were written locally at around the time the city was built. He tries to quickly thumb through them to see which ones seem the most relevant.
Perception: 1d20=8+2(half-lvl)=10

Straegis continues whispering to the librarian “I’d be most interested in knowing if any dwarves or eladrin were here looking for the info?” He digs back in his pocket and grabs another 15 gold and hands them to the librarian before whispering to the librarian again “Could you be so kind to send someone to let me know if anyone shows up looking for these things, and ma’am…Would this plus the gold I’ve already given be enough to keep myself and my associates presence quiet?”
Diplomacy(Librarian): 1d20=6+2(half-lvl)=8(?)
O.O.C. Can I get any diplomacy mod. for having given the librarian 25 gold in the past 10 mins.?

Straegis isn’t sure but there are a couple patrons that he either recognizes, or who are checking him out.
Perception: 1d20=15+2=17
Insight: 1d20=10+2(half-lvl)=12
Perception: 1d20=18+2(half-lvl)=20
Insight: 1d20=2+2(half-lvl)=4
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Malazek wrote:
Straegis wrote:Straegis decides to first focus his attention on the 10-12 books that were written locally at around the time the city was built. He tries to quickly thumb through them to see which ones seem the most relevant.
Between all those books he finds several passages about civic planning; including (but not limitted to) public debates regarding traffic flow, drainage, evacuation, expansion, and even residential crowding. Most make references to previous structures and roads, as well as rivers, and how they were incorporated in the planned expansions. Among them, he finds quite a few street maps, sewer maps, and blueprints; but they lack useful detail, and are rather old (so probably outdated). One book even details the legal specification of cobblestones intended for use in Imperial highways; he didn't realize they were so stringent.

Straegis wrote:Straegis continues whispering to the librarian “I’d be most interested in knowing if any dwarves or eladrin were here looking for the info?” He digs back in his pocket and grabs another 15 gold and hands them to the librarian before whispering to the librarian again “Could you be so kind to send someone to let me know if anyone shows up looking for these things, and ma’am…Would this plus the gold I’ve already given be enough to keep myself and my associates presence quiet?”
"Info 'bout what? Drawin's an' maps that was writ' 'round the time the city was built? Why, sure: some Dwa'ves was in 'ere lookin' fer those books. Ivar, Mjolfnir, Tarn were their names. Come to think of it, they 'ad an Eladrin wit'em once; an' a strange fella las'time ... all wrapped up in sheets, look' like."

"But sure, I'll keep yer secret, an' let ya know if anybod' come lookin'."


Straegis wrote:Straegis isn’t sure but there are a couple patrons that he either recognizes, or who are checking him out.
Upon closer inspection, he realizes these guys were only being nosey; they saw money change hands, and must have got curious. Though one does look slightly familiar, he doesn't look all that familiar.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 46/46; AC 18 Fort 17 Ref 19 Will 18; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 54/54; AC 18 Fort 16 Ref 16 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8

I laugh in admiration at the slow moving mound in front of us. "Those short wily bastards! Siege engines...."

"Reed - get some flaming arrows ready."


I take off my shirt and begin cutting it into strips, wrapping arrows and dousing them with lamp oil. All told, I use all the lamp oil and wrap 30 arrows, leaving some shirt left over that I stow and save for later, giving me 40 wrapped arrows and 30 normal.

"We're going to light that mound up and see what it hatches."

Once Reed is ready, we race ahead until we are at maximum short range and let loose our first volley into the slow moving mound.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surprise round & Round 1
Minor - Light arrows
Move- Designate mound as my Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Twin Strike mound

Twin Strike 1=30, Twin Strike 2=27
TS1 Damage=12, TS2 Damage=10
Hunter's Quarry Damage=3
Fire Damage=3, Fire Damage=4

Initiative=17
Twin Strike 1=26, Twin Strike 2=13
TS1 Damage=7, TS2 Damage=9
Hunter's Quarry Damage=8
Fire Damage=5, Fire Damage=10


Arrow Count=30/30, Wrapped=36/40

-Swift
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I laugh ... "We're going to light that mound up and see what it hatches." ... Once Reed is ready ... ... 71 Damage!
Reed follows Davin's lead and shoots the mobile mound with his own flaming arrows (dealing another 54 damage) ... but then (on INIT 7), the mound slowly turns in place ... a short, squat iron tube projects from the side that is now facing you ... and a fiery blast sounds off! In an instant, a heavy metal object whizzes by your heads (misses) hitting the real hill behind you and sending tons of earth flying in all directions (causing 36 damage to the hill).

The thatched facade of the rolling hill is still on fire, but the siege device underneath is still functional!!

Passive Perception 25: Just above the iron barrel, Davin sees small slit-like opening. It's not much of a window, but that MUST be how those inside are peering out.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin: HP 46/46; AC 18 Fort 17 Ref 19 Will 18; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 54/54; AC 18 Fort 16 Ref 16 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8

I take careful aim and let 2 flaming arrows loose at the short, squat tube protruding from the mound.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 2
Minor - Light arrows
Move- Designate short, squat tube as my Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Twin Strike mound

Twin Strike 1=27, Twin Strike 2=21
TS1 Damage=6, TS2 Damage=9
Hunter's Quarry Damage=3
Fire Damage=3, Fire Damage=9


Arrow Count=30/30, Wrapped=34/40

-Swift
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:42 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:
Alex isn't really sure what to think of the other scholars, but feels a bit suspicious, anyway. Nevertheless, he finds some relevant reference materials and drags them to a convient table for study (some other tomes also looked interesting, but were cataloged as in the basement).

Before digging in the books, Alex questions one of the nearby scholars; who then responds "Who me? I'm just going back over some old research. I've been trying to create a new spell, but I think I got one of my gestures miscopied. And you?"

"A new spell; good luck fellow mage! Be sure to attatch your name to it; I've not heard of a new Otiluke or Mordenkainen in far too long" Alex smiles. Wishing he could stay here forever. This is where he belongs. Friendly scholars, friendlier books, and so much knowledge hidden in various tomes. And the search; although agonisingly painful to do on a deadline, is even quite enjoyable too. The thrill of not even knowing if you're on completely the wrong track, and attempting to learn so much all alone- oh its enjoyable. But usually only in retrospection. Alex doesn't have any time now to wander off on random tangents in order to find interesting articles. He needs fact.

-------------------------------

Alex stumbles upon the following nuggets of information.

WISE STONE, THE.
The Wise Stone is an place of great cultural and academic significance to the Rockbenders of the Bitten Peaks; formed from a single piece of undetermined stone, it is believed that that the Wise Stone radiates powerful magical energies.
See also: Ley Nexuses.

And attempts to assess what he may know about such a Wise Stone already. (Arcana 18). Before searching for Ley Nexuses (Peception 24).

SANDBENDERS.
Terramancers are nearly as common among the heathens of the Great Peninsula as they are among the Dwarvers. Mostly human, these elementalists are referred to [effectionately] as "Sandbenders" by their Dwarven counterparts. Sandbenders tend to possess more fine control, but less crude power, than Rockbenders.
See also: Ironbenders
.

Alex wonders if the Sandbender would ally with the dwarves purely because they were earthbenders (History; 19), and then attempts to learn about Ironbenders too. (Perception; 5).

He also makes some searches regarding Waterbending - He may not get to visit the great library again in such a time. Although he is sure Viktor would have done a good job he can't help but check again. He looks for books (Perception 17) immediately regarding location of waterbending tribes (History 30!) that may have been overlooked by the legion of travelling waterbenders. Then he looks up battle techniques against Rockbenders (Arcana 20). But just finds...well...fluff:

A Hydromancers defence against the efforts of Rockbenders are undoubtably simple. The watery arts offer many defences, and many can be put to good use against the rockbenders. It seems someone else (although a while ago) has looked for such a thing. See the following techniques:
Icewall p.95
(Scrawled in someone else's handwriting on the book reads 'Don't bother looking, it's the basic technique. Nothing special. Yawn.)
Icepillar p.108 (Volume II)
Water Shield p.350 (In the same cursive; 'Only works on small bullets. Usually too risky to try! If you've got enough water; stick with Icewall')
And a number of other techniques, at the bottom the previous reader has written 'I rekon mudbending might work. There is an awful lot of water in soil. Not so good against rock or stone, but if they're moving the earth its worth a shot. Try sapping the water from the soil they're working with too; turns it straight to dust! That has the Rockthumpers stumped for sure!'
Finally in massive letters at the bottom of the page in shining blue ink is 'I WON' proudly covering up a paragraph at the bottom.

Sighing, and clapping the book to a close. Alex returns the dusty item to the shelf, musing on an ancient student waterbender duelling an earthbender. A blast of pride rides through him on this ancient students victory over the terramancer. Hopefully Alex will be able to replicate his success.

Whilst wondering where that ancient waterbender might be now, he wanders around looking for the Librarian. Folding his notes carefully into his pocket he asks the Librarian if he can follow up some leads in the basement; assuring her it is of upmost importance, and offering to pay for the privelage. (Diplomacy; 2!)

------------------------
RollsMore Rolls.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:"...But bring me the evacuated vessel of the enemy, and we shall speak with his departed soul. We will find out what secrets he took to his everafter."
"It will be done Most Holy One. I shall return to the barracks and bring back that which you require, and as quickly as I may. " He kisses the hem of her robe again. "Fortune favor ye."
Verity turns and leaves, running Zephyr back to the barracks.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"A new spell; good luck fellow mage! Be sure to attatch your name to it; I've not heard of a new Otiluke or Mordenkainen in far too long"
"Thanks! I shall! Name's Siqerod, by the way."

Alex wrote:Then he looks up battle techniques against Rockbenders (Arcana 20) ... Icewall p.95 ... Icepillar p.108 ... Water Shield p.350 ... someone else's handwriting
In another book, Alex finds this passage, as well: In one-on-one situations against opponents of equal caliber, Rockbenders often fair better than Waterbenders; but against many opponents of lesser caliber, the Waterbenders have the advantage. Prelimenary obervations suggest that the same is true of Firebenders vs. Airbenders (listed analagously)

Alex wrote:He looks for books (Perception 17) immediately regarding location of waterbending tribes (History 30!) that may have been overlooked ...
He finds a supposedly complete list, compiled sometime ago, and presented in a sidebar of a book about "Elemental Culture" ...

Aquamancer Settlements ...

Imil (The City of Ice)
Located in the Far North.
& the Host Tower
*No Map Provided*

Umar. (The City on the Waves)
Located on the Western Sea.
& The Tower Under the Waves
*Map on Page 231*

Anin. (The City at Paradise)
Located in the Barren Lands.
& The Tower of Hydrology
*Map on Page 205*

Jaru. (The City in the Mists)
Located on the South Shore.
& The Spire of Light
*Map on Page 219*

Enid. (The City above the Clouds)
Location Variable.
& The Well of Storms
*Map on Page 208*

Osul. (The City to the East)
Located in the far East.
Little is known of Osul.
*Map on Page 227*


Alex has heard of most of these, they are the same locations where Imil's Seekers have been sent. Viktor is near Anin, 'Trina is near Umar, Malle (Mai's sister) was supposed to find Osul. Jaru still stands, but its residents were wiped out; Imilities now man the Spire of Light. Finally, Enid supposedly fell from the sky, but nobody knows where; several Seekers are looking for it, and often use Jaru as their base of operations.

Alex wrote:he asks the Librarian if he can follow up some leads in the basement; assuring her it is of upmost importance, and offering to pay for the privelage. (Diplomacy; 2!)
"No, no. Not possible. Wha' book are ya lookin' fer? Mayb' I can get it fer ya."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"It will be done Most Holy One. I shall return to the barracks and bring back that which you require, and as quickly as I may. " He kisses the hem of her robe again. "Fortune favor ye." Verity turns and leaves, running Zephyr back to the barracks.
Verity senses an feeling of urgency and panick in the air; traffic in the streets is relatively light, save for an unusually high number of soldiers and guards. As Verity approaches the training fields, he finds the gates out to them are gone! Stone seems to have grown from nothing and engulfed the openings!!

Then, he hears shouting. Turning to look, he sees a swarm of Dwarves pouring out of the allies behind him! Soldiers and Guards rush headlong to meet them in battle.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:I take careful aim and let 2 flaming arrows loose at the short, squat tube protruding from the mound.
The two arrows fly right down the barrel. A loud BANG! immediately follows, causing smoke to bellow from the siege device (from the window, the barrel, and even from under it). The mound seems to "fall" but then starts to wobble again, slowly bringing the barrel to bear.

Reed pulls an arrow from his "other" quiver and shoots at the ground in front of the mound; the shaft of the arrows snaps upon impact, and a clear sticky gel expands from inside. Then, Reed runs to the side, putting himself into a position where the device cannot aim at the both of you (a tactic that didn't work so well against Lizardfolk, if you remember).

BOOM! another heavy projectile hits the hill behind you, showering you in dirt and loose grass (35 Damage to the hill). The siege device continues to rolls towards you, until it hits Reed's gel, where it gets stuck and stops moving.

Davin hears the faint sound of swearing from inside the still-flaming siege engine.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity: HP 51/51; AC 23 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 19; Healing Surges 11/11; Lay on Hands 2/2; Action Points 0; Initiative 21
Verity’s heart sinks at the sight of the walled in barracks. Hearing the clash of steel behind him, he wheels to aid the fight.
“Your squad, to me!” he shouts to the group of guards closest to him. He moves to flank the dwarves and remove their leader from the fight. An empty vessel the Primus wants and a vessel she will have.

OCC: Verity will challenge a formidible looking Dwarf fighter (Perception 11). Then he will maneuver behind the Dwarves with a double move avoiding AoOs. He will run (move 10x2) if full cover is available. He will end his move with a charge on a Terramancer or Bolter if possible.
Hit; 10+2Str+2Lvl+3Swd+1Chrg= 18
Dmg; 6+2Str+5Chrg= 13
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis takes note of the names of the dwarves that were at the library before making some crude drawings from the few books and blueprints that he finds useful. The drawings are rough but he tries to make enough notes to get at least some use out of them later. His main focus is the city walls and gates, the rivers, the surrounding topography and a few quick sketches of the sewer and drainage systems.
History: 1d20=2+13=15
Perception: 1d20=6+2(half-lvl)=8

Straegis next heads for the books about Talthanin, he grabs the books a dozen or so at a time and begins thumbing thru them looking for information about Davin’s family and specifics about what actually happened there and why. He takes notes of the things he finds to be sure he can accurately tell his friend later.
History: 1d20=5+13=18
Perception: 1d20=20+2(half-lvl)=22

Straegis decides that since there are so few books that mention his father he will look them up next. He grabs the books that mention his fathers name and sits down to browse through them to see if there is anything that he doesn’t already know.
History: 1d20=7+13=20
Perception: 1d20=8+2(half-lvl)=10

Straegis hopes to find some useful information about the dwarves, perhaps historical accounts of battles and sieges, most specifically any accounts dealing with rockbenders and how they are used in a fight. He makes as many notes as possible, about as many things as he feels are relevant. He is careful to search the texts for any of the names that the librarian mentioned.
History: 1d20=15+15=30
Perception: 1d20=19+2(half-lvl)=21

After scanning the dwarven text, Straegis remembers the items that were picked up after the fight in the street. He decides to hold off looking up eladrin lore and go upstairs to locate Alex and see if they can look up these items and find out if there is any significance to them or perhaps if they can use there own magics against them now.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

The Witch-King wrote:
Malazek wrote:
Mordax wrote:"this is madness. This hillock is oor epitaph. This should be fer' tha' command center, tha' High General an' 'is entourage, while the bulk of tha' combined force should march en masse aboot tha' city to face tha' invasion o' Fomorians an' lot sure tae come. There's little more than untrained boys 'ere, an' oor only strength is numbers. Tha' High General is a fool in this."
"Er, what? March about the city? But how? We're trapped, between wall and river. Mordax, you got another one of those clever ideas of yours? If so, let me have it; if we can get these boys over the wall, then I say let's do it!"

"Nay, Laird, no' tha' wall, tha' river. Gi' me yuir best three thousan' swimmers an' I'll flank tha' flankers - long enough tae breech tha' wall an' rejoin tha' city forces. I'll lay odds tha' city's under attack e'en now, and we cannae hold tae a defensive position! Get tha' staff tae safety, but NOW is tha' time tae attack!"
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum