Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

4 posters

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 6 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Malazek Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:34 pm

"Yeah, mine too," Gumphrey says. "Maybe we can stop on our way back. I'm hoping we'll be laden with gifts from the Arch-duchess, by then; maybe some gold, maybe something we can sell for some gold."

Gumphrey meanders around the hall, as Elodie attempts to get a better look. In addition to the book, scrolls, potions, jewelry, rods, staves, and wands that she saw initially, there is also a variety of other wondrous items for sale.

OOC: The following magic items are available for sale ...

- Just about any potion (1st to 3rd level)
- Just about any scroll (1st to 3rd level)
- Just about any wand (1st or 2nd level)
- Bag of Holding I (2500 gp)
- Bag of Holding II (5000 gp)
- Bag of Holding III (7400 gp)
- Bag of Tricks, Gray (3400 gp)
- Bag of Tricks, Russet (8500 gp)
- Bead of Force (3000 gp)
- Belt of Giant Strength +2 (4000 gp)
- Belt of Incredible Dexterity +2 (4000 gp)
- Belt of Mighty Constitution +2 (4000 gp)
- Boat, Folding (7200 gp)
- Boots of Levitation (7500 gp)
- Bracers of Armor +1 (1000 gp)
- Bracers of Armor +2 (4000 gp)
- Brooch of Shielding (1500 gp)
- Candle of Truth (2500 gp)
- Chime of Opening (3000 gp)
- Circlet of Persuasion (4500 gp)
- Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 gp)
- Cloak of Resistance +2 (4000 gp)
- Cloak of the Manta Ray (7200 gp)
- Dust of Appearance (1800 gp)
- Dust of Disappearance (3500 gp)
- Dust of Illusion (1200 gp)
- Elemental Gem (2250 gp)
- Figurine of Wondrous Power: Silver Raven (3800 gp)
- Handy Haversack (2000 gp)
- Harp of Charming (7500 gp)
- Headband of Alluring Charisma +2 (4000 gp)
- Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2 (4000 gp)
- Headband of Vast Intelligence +2 (4000 gp)
- Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read magic (5200 gp)
- Horn of Fog (2000 gp)
- Horseshoes of Speed (3000 gp)
- Horseshoes of the Zephyr (6000 gp)
- Incense of Meditation (4900 gp)
- Lesser Bracers of Archery (5000 gp)
- Necklace of Fireballs, Type I (1650 gp)
- Necklace of Fireballs, Type II (2700 gp)
- Necklace of Fireballs, Type III (4350 gp)
- Necklace of Fireballs, Type IV (5400 gp)
- Necklace of Fireballs, Type V (5850 gp)
- Periapt of Health (7400 gp)
- Pipes of Haunting (6000 gp)
- Pipes of Sounding (1800 gp)
- Pipes of the Sewers (1150 gp)
- Ring of Acid Resistance 10 (12,000 gp)
- Ring of Animal Friendship (10,800 gp)
- Ring of Climbing +5 (2500 gp)
- Ring of Cold Resistance 10 (12,000 gp)
- Ring of Counter Spells (4000 gp)
- Ring of Electricity Resistance 10 (12,000 gp)
- Ring of Feather Fall (2200 gp)
- Ring of Fire Resistance 10 (12,000 gp)
- Ring of Force Shield (8500 gp)
- Ring of Jumping +5 (2500 gp)
- Ring of Mind-shielding (8000 gp)
- Ring of Protection +1 (2000 gp)
- Ring of Protection +2 (8000 gp)
- Ring of Sonic Resistance 10 (12,000 gp)
- Ring of Sustenance (2500 gp)
- Ring of Swimming +5 (2500 gp)
- Robe of Bones (2400 gp)
- Robe of Useful Items (7000 gp)
- Rope of Climbing (3000 gp)
- Scarab, Golem-bane (2500 gp)
- Slippers of Spider-climbing (4800 gp)
- Stone of Alarm (2700 gp)
- Sustaining Spoon (5400 gp)
- Vest of Escape (5200 gp)
- +1 Ghost Touch Dagger (8000 gp)
- Necklace of Adaptation (9000 gp)
- Rod of the Python (13,000 gp)
- Wand of Lightning Bolt, CL 5 (11,250 gp)
- Mirror of Life-trapping (200,000 gp)

The old man stops for a moment, after hearing Elodie speak, and then says "If you need money, I might have an opportunity for you."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy - Page 6 Empty Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Glitz Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Elodie scrutinizes the old man. "What kind of offer?"

Sense Motive +16
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:58 am

Jeremiah listens intently...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 am

The man whispers, "I am looking for someone to retrieve an item for me; an orb, that was stolen by my brother. Though the orb is magical, it's only real value is sentimental. Unfortunately, my brother is a powerful enchanter, preventing me from getting anywhere near the orb. In fact, it would be dangerous for anybody. That's why I am willing to pay each of you," he does a quick headcount, "forty-five thousand gold pieces, if you retrieve the orb."

Elodie listens intently, watching the man's body language and facial expressions, and detects a hint of deception. She suspects that the man is trying to trick the party into stealing an item that isn't truly his. She does, however, believe that the offer of payment is genuine.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 am

Elodie stares at the man for a moment. "Be honest with me," she whispers back. "I'm not opposed to helping you, but what is this orb and why do you want it? I have a feeling that your brother didn't actually steal it from you...but that doesn't mean he deserves to keep it. What's the story?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 am

"I ... uh ..." the old man starts. Cautiously looking around, he continues to whisper, "The orb is very old, forged during the August Dawn. My brother and I unearthed it in the Valley of Tombs, alongside relics left by strange, reptilian creatures. We believe it contains the soul of a dragon. Now, my brother refuses to let me study it. The orb is very dangerous. I believe that it has corrupted his mind. So, in a way, you would be doing him a favor, as well."

Elodie believes this version, but suspects the old man may have been corrupted, as well.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:02 am

"But won't it corrupt your mind, as well?" Elodie whispers. "Where does your brother live? And when you say he's powerful...what exactly do you mean? Gumphrey, come here for a minute." Elodie wants to make sure that Gumphrey is listening as the old man describes the dangers ahead. "And how do you have so much gold? Why haven't you hired someone before now, if you are so wealthy?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:17 pm

"What? Oh! No. My will is much stronger than his. When we first discovered it, I held it for quite a while, without any ill-effect."

"He lives in one of the tall towers, over on Drittelstrasze. I'll show you the one."

"I mean he wields many magicks. His mastery of charms, in particular, is formidable."

Gumphrey steps next to Jeremiah, to get a better listen. Now, the only one not listening, Talmut steps over, as well.

"My money is my business, but if you must know, I am of a noble house; it is a minor house, but an ancient one. And I have hired others, but they have failed. Fortunately, my brother does not suspect my involvement. He believes random burglaries were responsible for the previous attempts to seize the orb."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 pm

"My apologies for prying; I want to be sure of the important details before accepting such a job. If we choose to help you, where can we find you?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:09 am

Jeremiah will look to the group, then back to the old man.

"Let us take a minute to discuss this old man."

He then takes a few steps back and motions for the group to huddle around him.

"What do you guys think? Should we take on this task or continue on our Journey as planned?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am

"I want to at least visit the house, and see if this old man has any locks that The Shadow Man can 'practice' on...what do you say, Gumphrey?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 am

Elodie wrote:"If we choose to help you, where can we find you?"
"You can find me here. I am going out, now, to grab a late dinner, but I will back. I am a lecturer, here at the Zaubereigarten."
Jeremiah wrote:"What do you guys think? Should we take on this task or continue on our Journey as planned?"
Elodie wrote:"I want to at least visit the house, and see if this old man has any locks that The Shadow Man can 'practice' on...what do you say, Gumphrey?"
Gumphrey replies, "Yeah, I think we should at least check it out. This could be a golden opportunity! I am a bit worried, though, about the Duke's scrying; are we going to have to break a few laws to do this? If so, is the Duke going to see us?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Talmut agrees with the plan to "at least check it out." He points out that if something nefarious is going on, you can either stop it yourselves or report it to the Duke later. He also informs his companions that he would know if the you were being scryed upon (and right now, you are not). Lastly, he claims that he knows about the orb and that you should all be careful not to let it fall into the wrong hands.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 pm

After the brief discussion, Elodie turns back to the old man. "How do we get there?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Jeremiah will agree to seek out this orb.

"Yes old man, where is this place."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Elodie wrote:"How do we get there?"
Jeremiah wrote:"Yes old man, where is this place."
Gumphrey wrote:"Yeah, where's it at?"
The old man provides directions for getting to Drittelstrasze and from there how to find his brother's home. "I can show you the one, if that would be easier."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:50 am

"Thanks for the directions, I think we can find our way from here. I'm not promising anything, but we will at least scout out your brother's house."

OOC: Has Elodie noticed any guards patrolling the streets?
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:19 pm

"Lets find this place and stake it out for a little bit. We should wait for nightfall before moving in on the man."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Elodie wrote:OOC: Has Elodie noticed any guards patrolling the streets?
Here and there, Elodie has noticed guards moving through the streets, but they didn't exactly seem to be "patrolling."
Elodie wrote:"Thanks for the directions, I think we can find our way from here. I'm not promising anything, but we will at least scout out your brother's house."
Jeremiah wrote:"Lets find this place and stake it out for a little bit. We should wait for nightfall before moving in on the man."
The Band of Four has no trouble finding the old man's brother's "house," which happens to be one of the tallest towers on Drittelstrasze ... and it's only a few blocks from the palace. Still, by the time they reach it, twilight is beginning to set in.

The tower itself is narrow (like many structures in Sturmgard), but amazingly tall; 9 stories, to be exact. Copper rods run vertically along each of the four corners, but the gray-brick tower is otherwise fairly drab. A small courtyard separates the front doors from the street.

The courtyard itself is mostly just a wide cobblestone approach, save for the wooden planter-boxes on either side (a popular decoration in Sturmgard, it would seem). Unfortunately, most of the flowers are either dead or dying.

The front doors are fairly plain; simple oak with iron-hinges and iron-knockers. The knockers look like grotesque faces, with large iron-rings piercing their monstrous noses.

Large symbols have been engraved into each door and painted black (Talmut realizes the symbols are just the numbers "2" and "7" in High Daxon).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Are there windows? Also does Jeremiah think he can inconspicuously climb the wall and peak into some of these windows? If there are windows and Jeremiah can climb a wall on the building that isn't visible to the street or any kind of foot traffic he will attempt to get a look in the building.

Perception +20
Stealth: +19
Climb +22
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Are there windows? Also does Jeremiah think he can inconspicuously climb the wall and peak into some of these windows? If there are windows and Jeremiah can climb a wall on the building that isn't visible to the street or any kind of foot traffic he will attempt to get a look in the building.
There are windows. The walls should be relatively easy to climb, but staying out of sight might be a challenge (but, it is getting dark, so very possible). There is a chance that people on the street could see him, regardless of which side of the tower he climbs ... but it would be less likely if he were to climb up the backside of the tower.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:03 am

"Pity about the flowers," Elodie murmurs as she stares at the house. "Careful, Jeremiah. You may be stealthy enough to hide from human eyes, but who knows what else is watching us at the moment?"

OOC: Are there any benches along the street, or places where passers-by might stop to rest, so that Elodie can "sit and rest" near the house without drawing attention to herself? Or are there alleyways beside the house?
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:07 am

Elodie wrote:OOC: Are there any benches along the street, or places where passers-by might stop to rest, so that Elodie can "sit and rest" near the house without drawing attention to herself? Or are there alleyways beside the house?
Elodie did see some some benches along the sides of the streets, but not in front of this tower. There is one up the street, though, maybe a quarter of mile away. And there are narrow alleys on either side of the tower, separating it from the buildings next to it.

Last edited by Malazek on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am

"Elodie, are you able to turn into a small creature that could perhaps investigate the inside of the house. Or perhaps a small bird that can land on the window ledges?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:14 pm

"I could turn into a bird to perch on a window ledge...but I'd be nervous about flying into the house until we know more about what alarms and traps our powerful friend has. Perhaps we can step into the alley over here?"

Unless Jeremiah or anyone else tries to stop her, Elodie will move towards the closest alley, attempting to appear casual and not attract attention.

Stealth +24

Once she is in the alley, she will spend several minutes trying to detect magical alarms at the ground level and as far up as her "magical" eyes will allow her to see.

Cast Detect Magic.
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 31 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum