Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Page 6 of 35 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swifthand

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Malazek wrote:"Indeed, I believe I do. This should be about the same value as that belt, so no money needs to change hands to square up. Does this suit you?"
"It is funny that you have such an item - we were just discussing what we were going to do for food and water on our journey. It seems that Alex and Straegis will be able to conjure sustenance, however, so I do not need such an item."

Alex wrote:"Travellers Feast ritual? ..."
"I am fine with waiting another four hours."

"Katrina - we have another problem. We cannot take our wagon or horses with us on our journey. Is there someone in Jaru that we could count on to safely leave them with?"
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

The Witch King

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:
-------------------------
200gp each please. Alex will pay with the components he already has. Unless you need two?
-------------------------
"It is complete. Another? What of you Mordax, you require a weapon do you not?"

OOC: Done. I have another 600gp to cover people if they're short. Just let me know the tally in the end and I'll take it off my sheet.

"Nay, lad, I've a fine hammer here, an' hope tae fell saem o' it's own people ere' I find mae rightful spear. Tend tae tha' others, and see ya' dinnae stand tae close when I use this li'l beastie."
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Malazek wrote:"Does this suit you?"
"If not, I can look again."
Davin wrote:"I do not need such an item."
"No? Hmm."
Returning again, "How about these then?"

Bracers of Archery
These leather armbands enhance your potency with bows and crossbows.
Lvl 6 (1,800 gp)
Item Slot: Arms
Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to damage rolls when attacking with a bow or crossbow.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Ignore cover on your next attack this turn when using a bow or crossbow.


Davin wrote:"Katrina - Is there someone in Jaru that we could count on to safely leave [our wagon and horses] with?"
"That is a difficult question. Most of the people who come here only stop in periodically; it's a great place to store our finds and rest for the night, but it doesn't offer much in the way of regular livelihood. There may be locals in the hills though, who'd watch your beasts for a tiny stipend ... perhaps the merchants could recommend someone."

Asking the merchants, Davin is told that there is a trustable young shephard who lives about 2 hours east of here; she stops by occassionally to see what the sailors have brought it, but she mostly keeps to herself. Goes by the name of Harley. They give Davin directions "Ride due until you come to Rusty Creek (you can't miss it), and then follow Rusty south until you see her cabin high in the hills. There aren't many cabins out there, but if it helps, hers in the one in the shadow of Bear Mountain. If you get to the sea, you've gone waaaay to far."

NOTE: It's kind of on the way, and will allow you to RIDE halfway to the Cave Temple!
This could easily shave an hour off your morning journey
.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Swifthand

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Malazek wrote:"How about these then?"
Davin marvels at the finely crafted, Elven-made bracers. "These are amazing, Katrina! The water hasn't even damaged the leather. My thanks!"

The archer eagerly exchanges the Dwarven belt for the bracers and then straps them on.

Malazek wrote:Asking the merchants, Davin is told that there is a trustable young shepherd...NOTE: It's kind of on the way, and will allow you to RIDE halfway to the Cave Temple!
This could easily shave an hour off your morning journey
.

Turning to his companions, Davin says, "This sounds perfect. What say you, Verity?"
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Halcyon

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

"Sounds perfect Davin. Zephyr will feel right at home at pasture with BA and the rest. He's fine breeding stock, too. This shepherd could earn coin arranging him to stud. I wouldn't object and I'm quite sure the horse agrees."

"Alex, I have 1200 gold. With Davin's 80 and Mordax's 600, are can we magic another bag?"

"Straegis, what of you? Have you coin to help us create another bag?"
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

"I have almost 1700 gold, but I will have to have at least 900gp worth of mystic salves and another 400gp worth of alchemical reagents. If I am to learn the Traveler's Feast ritual, I will need approximately 140gp worth of herbs to perform that 4 times. That would leave me with almost 250 gold, which I will gladly pitch in." Straegis will get to work on copying Traveler's Feast as soon as possible.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:52 pm

OOC: Decide what you're doing with the bag(s); and let's move on to the next day.

The next morning, the party takes a while longer to set out than originally plannned, allowing Straegis a few more hours to learn that one more ritual (provided he has the scribing materials for it).

With the extra time, a hearty breakfast is had. Katrina joins you all, gathered around the fire, for breakfast. "This is good! Thanks! Here, try some of the tea I brought; it's magically delicious."

After breakfast, she gives Alex a long heartfelt hug, and says "Be careful. If you get killed, I'm going to be really angry with you." Meanwhile, her crew is preparing to hit the open sea once more.

The other sailors are already gone, obviously; but a new ship appears on the horizon (but you will be long gone before its crew reaches shore).

...

Once all preparations are complete, the group heads out, leading the wagon and horses into the hills and toward the Rusty River. A couple hours into the journey, the sound of rushing water and the smell of earthworms is unmistakable; you must be getting close, though the many hills and boulders prevent you from seeing it.

And then, Davin and Alex both get the feeling you are being watched. Cautiously, the party continues on, until Davin notices one of the boulders twitch. A quick count of the visible boulders around you reveals there are about twenty, but maybe some are normal? Hopefully so, otherwise you are grossly outnumbered.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Alex narrows his eyes at the suspicious arrangement before him. Eyepatch...I don't suppose you could elucidate at all? He thinks as loudly as possible.

He shares a sidelong glance at Davin, and his mind reaches out for water nearby. The air is heavy here, and of course he can sense the containers on his back and at his side, and the huge barrels of water within the wagon.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Halcyon

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 pm

But before leaving Jaru:
Verity will buy Staegis's requested salves and reagents.
That still leaves the party cash enough for two Bags of Holding.
Mordax: We're going to need that 600
Straegis: Same with the 250 you offered, and add your salves and reagents (and take off the money for those too).
Davin; need 80
Alex: 400, got it.
Verity will contribute 670.

Then when Alex and Davin notice boulders twitching:
Perception: 11 to catch that "sidelong glance"

DM EDIT: Does that include the 80 from Davin, 200 from Alex, and 870 from Verity?
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

The Witch King

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Halcyon wrote:Mordax: We're going to need that 600

OOC: Done.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 pm

I have a load of cash, but its all in reagent form, and these rituals ARE very expensive. Raise dead is 500gp alone. I'll give my 400, 200 for each bag. That leaves me with 940gp's worth of components for emergencies, sendings, and other stuff.

This is sort of out lining a need for perhaps a party fund for raise deads, and other party benefiting items.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Swifthand

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 pm

O.O.C. - I can't decide how to respond to the situation with the given info. I will take 10 on my Perception for a 30. Are we surrounded by these boulders? Are we on a road? Are we getting close to the cave temple or the shepherdess? Have we already dropped off the wagon and Zephyr?

As far as the need for a group fund, if that is how you would prefer to do things, so be it. I, however, currently have no gold, having spent all of it on party items/goals (the wagon upgrades, the horses, sending the princess home, the bags, ect.) I never begrudge spending my money on party stuff; I just hope someone will still resurrect me if I am broke when I die!
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 pm

O.O.C.: I have almost no money left, I spent mine on reagents, herbs and salves to feed, revive and aid the party. I feel it is a good investment and figured with our adventures it would be easily replaced. Easy come, Easy go, Ya know?

Straegis is intently studying the notes Raed put in the front of his ritual book, he can understand now why Raed told him it has driven people crazy trying to comprehend it. He will remain blissfully unaware of his surroundings until someone informs him otherwise. Cool
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - I can't decide how to respond to the situation with the given info. I will take 10 on my Perception for a 30. Are we surrounded by these boulders? Are we on a road? Are we getting close to the cave temple or the shepherdess? Have we already dropped off the wagon and Zephyr?
As Davin watches, he notices several of the other boulders move, ever so slowly. They seem to be inching along, moving closer and slowly surrounding you. Still, not all of the boulders have moved; so far, about five of them have.

You are not on a road, exactly; more like a game trail.

You have nearly reached the Rusty River. According to the old merchants, you are supposed to follow the river until you see Harley's cabin. So then, you have not yet reached shepherd; and you're not all that close to the Cave Temple, either.

Therefore, you still have the wagon and all the horses (Zephyr included).

OOC: Just help clarify, here are the relevent posts ...
Malazek wrote:Asking the merchants, Davin is told that there is a trustable young shephard who lives about 2 hours east of here; she stops by occassionally to see what the sailors have brought it, but she mostly keeps to herself. Goes by the name of Harley. They give Davin directions "Ride due until you come to Rusty Creek (you can't miss it), and then follow Rusty south until you see her cabin high in the hills. There aren't many cabins out there, but if it helps, hers in the one in the shadow of Bear Mountain. If you get to the sea, you've gone waaaay to far."
Malazek wrote:Once all preparations are complete, the group heads out, leading the wagon and horses into the hills and toward the Rusty River. A couple hours into the journey, the sound of rushing water and the smell of earthworms is unmistakable; you must be getting close, though the many hills and boulders prevent you from seeing it.

And then, Davin and Alex both get the feeling you are being watched. Cautiously, the party continues on, until Davin notices one of the boulders twitch. A quick count of the visible boulders around you reveals there are about twenty, but maybe some are normal? Hopefully so, otherwise you are grossly outnumbered.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Halcyon

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:01 pm

OCC: I’m sure we will all beg, barter or pillage if needed to restore life to another party member. Also, if we all agree to spend money on something else, then we’ll do that. Whether or not someone sets up a formal account, Verity currently has 590 gold he can contribute to the Fund Underwritten by Comrades of the Killed, should it become necessary. If anyone dies, I'll definitely give a ____.
Tee-hee.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Swifthand

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Davin: HP 61/61; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 105/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=1

Davin reaches for his Greatbow with one hand while snapping the reins with the other, goading the team into a sprint.

"HYAA HYAA!"
"Ware the boulders!"


Move - Double run 16 down the game trail...

Initiative=29
Hound's Initiative=23

O.O.C. - I am trying to get beyond the "circle" of boulders so we are not surrounded.

Arrow Count=40/40, Wrapped=20/20
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

The Witch King

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 pm

OOC: Mordax readies an action; if the boulders make any aggressive moves towards the wagon (lurching forward, say) he'll leap from the wagon and lay down the thunder.

Move to advantageous position for close blast attack.


Att 1d20=19+12 (crit?) = 31

Dmg close blast 3, 1d10+6=7
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Halcyon

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Verity will ready an action to attack any “boulders” that may otherwise succeed in intercepting the wagon. He’ll stay next to the wagon so the other party members can benefit from Righteous Smite.
Initiative:25
26 to hit
18 damage and party members gain 7 temporary hit points.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Magicspellz

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Alex readies an action to do a scorching vapour against anything that makes an attack roll vs. us!
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Suddenly seeing his friends all at the ready, Straegis puts his book away and looks out to see the wagon being surrounded by the "boulders". He will ready Steel Monsoon on a boulder that gets too close.

Initiative: 1d20=5+2=7
Attack: 1d20=14+13=27
Damage: 2d8=10+8=18

O.O.C.: Everyone (within 10 sq.) is +2 to Init.(Warlord- Tactical Prescence). On Hit, 4 allies can shift one square for free(Warlord- Steel Monsoon).
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Round 1 Recap & Resolution ...

Initiative 29 ...
Davin urges the horses forward, trying to move beyond the boulders ... but there is just no end in sight. The boulders seem to stretch on for miles. Despite the speed of the horses, they just can't get beyond the "Circle of Stone."

Or can they?*

Initiative 25 ...
Staying next to the wagon, Verity readies his "Righteous Smite" for any boulders that try to intercept the wagon.

Initiative 23 ...
Sitting patiently at Davin's side, Hound watches the action unfold.
He delays his initiative.

Initiative 14 ...
Mordax readies his hammer, preparing to lay down the thunder should any come close.

Initiative 8 ...
Alex readies his waters and prepares to scorch any that attack.

Initiative 7 ...
Straegis readies his blade; "Steel Monsoon" awaits any who come close.

...

Round 2 Begins ...

Initiative 30 ...
*When the attack finally comes, it comes from behind!
Five huge stones come hurling through the air!!!
Apparently, the boudlers sprouted arms and legs and are now hurling stones at you!

OOX: Alex & Mordax readied against attacks and aggression, respectively. Everyone else readied against them getting close, so the only readied action that're triggered are Alex's and Mordax's.

Alex releases a blast of hot steamy water, but the hardy stone foes resist it's fury.
16 vs. Fortitude misses.

Mordax moves to an advantageous position, and strikes one of the offending boulders.
Since you could only hit one, I'll let you save the Close Blast for a moment where it's helpful.
For now, let's say that was just a basic attack.


B8 aims for L13, and it's a close blast 1.
... 25 vs. AC against Davin; 9 Damage
... 18 vs. AC against Hound; Miss.
... 22 vs. AC against Alex; EDIT: Miss
... 26 vs. AC against Straegis; Miss.
... 24 vs. AC against Verity; Miss.

R8 does the same.
... 25 vs. AC against Davin; 13 Damage
... 18 vs. AC against Hound; Miss.
... 19 vs. AC against Alex; miss
... 24 vs. AC against Straegis; Miss.
... 30 vs. AC against Verity; 13 Damage

D4 does the same.
... 31 vs. AC against Davin; 11 Damage
... 15 vs. AC against Hound; Miss.
... 26 vs. AC against Alex; 11 Damage
... 20 vs. AC against Straegis; Miss.
... 14 vs. AC against Verity; Miss.

O4 does the same.
... 24 (16)* vs. AC against Davin; Disrupted
... 28 (20)* vs. AC against Hound; 16 Damage
... 15 (7)* vs. AC against Alex; Miss.
... 18 (10)* vs. AC against Straegis; Miss.
... 14 (6)* vs. AC against Verity; Miss.

T2 does the same.
... 19 vs. AC against Davin; Miss.
... 28 vs. AC against Hound; 11 Damage
... 25 vs. AC against Alex; EDIT: Miss
... 32 vs. AC against Straegis; 11 Damage
... 29 vs. AC against Verity; 11 Damage

*Davin uses Disruptive Shot against O4.

Also, that entire 3x3 area is now Difficult Terrain
. The broken stones tumble down into a jagged pile, making it difficult for anyone to move through the area.

...

Precede with your next sets of actions. Alex and Mordax now have Init 31. Hound may go at any point after the attack (Init 29 or less). Everyone else, keep the same initiatives (and if you prefer, the same rolls).


avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Swifthand

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Davin: HP 38/61; AC 21 Fort 19 Ref 22 Will 21; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hound: HP 78/105; AC 20 Fort 17 Ref 17 Will 15; Healing Surges=8/8 Action Points=1

"Fulgoris"

Boulders pummel the woodsman nearly crushing him as his Greatbow explodes in a flash of electrical power. Then, from the dust, a streak of lightning flies across the forest, slamming into one of the rock creatures, throwing off his aim.

"WHOA GIRLS!"

Spinning, Davin lets loose with blinding speed and accuracy, as four more bolts of lightning slam into the enemy as Hound goes snarling and leaping off the side of the wagon, running to aid Mordax.

Immediate Interrupt - Disrupting Strike Boulder in O4
Free Action - Stop the wagon
Minor - Designate Boulder in O4 as Hunter's Quarry
Standard - Biting Volley Boulder in O4
Move - Move to N9
Action Point - Twin Strike Boulder in O4 (unless my prior attacks killed O4 then Twin Strike R8; I can split Twin Strike between O4 and R8 if the first attack kills O4)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attacks on Initiative 29
Minor - Designate Boulder in R8
Move - Move to S8, setting up flank for Mordax
Standard - Hit and Run Boulder in R8

Disruptive Strike=23
DS Damage=21
Biting Volley 1=30 (crit)
Biting Volley 2=26
BV Damage 1=22
BV Damage 2=15
Twin Strike 1=35
Twin Strike 2=31
TS Damage 1=20
TS Damage 2=20
Elven Accuracy=29
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hit and Run=19
H&R Damage=4

Davin is Bloodied. Elven Accuracy has been rolled if an attack roll misses. The Boulder in O4 is -8 versus Hound and I; this still hits Hound's AC. The Boulder in Q8 is knocked Prone if Hound's attack hits.

HOLY CRAP WE NEED HEALING!


Arrow Count=65/70, Wrapped=20/20
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Davin wrote:can I take a potion as a Move Action?
Technically, no. Pulling a potion out of your pack is a Minor action, and drinking it is also a Minor action. (If you'd like, you can skip designating a Quarry this round and drink that potion).

In the future, though, you can pull objects from Hound's tool straps as a minor action; so you could load a potion into one of them (but I'd put it in a metal vial, not a glass one)


Davin wrote:Action Point - ... split Twin Strike between O4 and R8 if the first attack kills O4
Did you remember to add +4 damage from Straegis's Tactical Presence when you spent that AP?
And, O4 is destroyed by the first half of Twin Strike.


Hound wrote:Move to S8, setting up flank for Mordax
Hit and Run=19
Hound misses.

Davin wrote:Elven Accuracy ...if an attack roll misses.
No need. All of Davin's attacks hit.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

The Witch King

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Mordax: HP 72/72; AC 28 Fort 20 Ref 18 Will 16; Healing Surges=11/11 Action Points=0

Standard: Reaping Strike 1d20+12=2(flanked)=22 1/2 dmg on miss
Dmg: 1d10+6=13
Minor: Mark target
Move: Will move towards next closest target if slays current target; otherwise forgoes.

Is there an AoO in there somewhere?
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Malazek

Post  Halcyon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm

The Witch-King wrote:Is there an AoO in there somewhere?
Not that I see. I assume you are referring to the ranged attack, but you weren't actually adjacent to him when he threw it ... you moved there as a result of the throw (and since a readied action is an Immediate Reaction, not an Immediate Interrupt, your charge doesn't get there in time for an OA). But if he throws again while you're still adjacent, then you'll get one for sure.
avatar
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431
Join date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter Four: "Plots Unearthed"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 35 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 35  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum