Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 14 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Halcyon wrote:
Alex wrote:Of course dwarves would fight for magic…
“If the dwarven conscripts know they make war for magic, I’ll eat my mailed boot.“
Davin wrote:It matters not whether all the Dwarves know they fight for arcane might or not - they are a stolid people, and will follow the will of their leader
"It matters a great deal. They bring war for a lie. Such is ill-favored by the Gods of civilized folk, probably even Moradin."

“But lest ye two fear that pity for the ignorant gits will slow my blade, know this: That these conspiring dwarves caused the slaughter of my brethren at the Cave Temple seals their sorry Fate. I shall pursue them far and wide, for however long I must, and they will pay dearly for their misdeeds. Woe to any that stands in defense of these arcanist zealots. All shall suffer the Queen’s reckoning.“

Mordax wrote:...Tell me whar' ye' saw 'er last, an I'll kill yer enemy for ye' and take me' vengeance all tha' same.
“Then on to vengeance and defense of the realm! Would that Agatha were here, that you might see she be a Hag no more.
With you’re leave, General?“
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached" - Page 14 Empty Re: Book One: Chapter Three: "Barriers Breached"

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm

Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:“Of Lady-General Manon Van-Pysium and Lady-General Zubina Liber I know not. Pray that they still have breath to command and strength to swing a sword. As for Lady-General Arietess and Lord-General Virgil Spica…” He looks to Lord General Draxus Arietess? If so, you should keep it. She has no surviving children and was a devout woman herself. I'm sure she'd like her blade to continue for a long moment, brow furrowed. “It is with great regret and condolence I must tell you that they have passed beyond the veil, to the embrace of the Queen and what lies beyond. Take comfort in that they died as they lived, serving our great empire. It is their bodies enshrouded here on my horse.”
Draxus Ferall looks to the corpses, and then responds "Did you find a blade upon the Duchess delivering the will of the gods upon our enemies. She has no surviving children and was a devout woman herself. I'm sure she'd like her blade to continue delivering the will of the gods upon our enemies."

Verity wrote:"The Hag Agatha is no enemy of ours, friend Mordax. Her love for a man melted her cold heart and made her good .."
The Lord-General turns back to Verity, "Wait, did you say her love for a ... man?" With a stunned expression, he turns to the Lt. Colonel who's initial response is a faint smirk. Then, he adds, "We may know of this Agatha. Does she sometimes use the name 'A'laia' as an alias?"

Davin wrote:"And then there were two. We must find Lady-General Manon Van-Pysium and Lady-General Zubina Liber." From the seat of the wagon, I look Draxus in the eye, before standing atop it to use it's height to scan the crowded square.
Perception check=30,34
There is no sign of either of them, though a large group of soldiers are gathered here under their battle-standards.

Davin wrote:I look back to the General questioningly. "Or maybe one of the Imperial Wizards can cast it for us?"
I offer the Princess my the hand, before turning away from the group, and then approach an Imperial Wizard. "Wizard. We need you or one of your Corps' assistance. We require a Portal to the Femdrell and a Sending. It is vital to the war effort and I can pay in coin."
Looking back toward Draxus, the Lt. Mage responds "Well, if it's for the war effort, then no payment (per se) is necessary ... but I will need about 780 gold to do it. Truthfully, it could be done for 100 gold, but the 'Portal is beyond my abilities (so I'd need aquire a scroll)."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:Draxus Ferall looks to the corpses, and then responds "Did you find a blade upon the Duchess delivering the will of the gods upon our enemies. She has no surviving children and was a devout woman herself. I'm sure she'd like her blade to continue delivering the will of the gods upon our enemies."

Verity momentarily lifts the Duchess's funeral shroud to draw out a jewel-pommeled longsword. Drawing it from the scabbard, he finds it surprisingly light and well-balanced.
"I shall call it Arietess's Revenge. With it I shall lay to waste the enemies of the faithful in her honor. Thank you."

Draxus wrote:The Lord-General turns back to Verity, "Wait, did you say her love for a ... man?" With a stunned expression, he turns to the Lt. Colonel who's initial response is a faint smirk. Then, he adds, "We may know of this Agatha. Does she sometimes use the name 'A'laia' as an alias?"

He glances at the angry veteran Mordax before answering,"I believe so, why is it you ask?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Do you know of any other mages that could attempt a Portal?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote: "Lord-General, did you say you may know Agatha? If that is so, would you agree with our statement that she would be a valuable ally? Most of us were in her employ not long before we came to this city. When our contract was completed, we were paid in full and told that she would gladly work with us again. Our fight now is with those who manipulate rock and earth, to have someone on our side controlling the weather would be an extreme advantage, especially if her sister is indeed here now."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Swifthand wrote:Davin looks at the fisherman with a raised eyebrow and then shrugs to himself, watching the interplay silently.

-Swift
Malazek wrote:
Verity wrote:"I believe so, why is it you ask?"
"In his youth, Prince Zerxus was in love with a beautiful maiden named A'laia, who later turned out to be a Hag.
Supposedly, he spurned her for her lies ... and her ugliness. He fully expected to be cursed for his reaction, but no curse ever came from the hag. Indeed, she blessed him and his entire line. Because of this, the young prince set off into the Malbog to look for her, but she was never found. He even gave up his right to the throne, allowing his brother to become Emperor ... his brother was Sazar VII, the grandfather of the recently deceased Emperor."

Alex wrote:"Do you know of any other mages that could attempt a Portal?"
"Well, I am the most seasoned here. Only a mage of the 8th Order or higher can actually cast that. So, among the Mage Core, you're probably looking for someone with a rank of Mage-Major or higher. Of course, Aodhan Blas or Siqerod could do it, if we knew where they were."

OOC: "8th Order" refers to the Imperial System of ranking a mage's development; an 8th Order Mage would be about 8th Level.

Straegis II wrote:"... would you agree with our statement that [Agatha] would be a valuable ally? ... especially if her sister is indeed here now."
"Normally, I'd be hesitant to trust a hag, regardless of her references ... but if her sister is here and working with our enemies, then perhaps she would be the MOST valuable of allies. Troubled times make for strange bedfellows, afterall. Mordax, perhaps you should set aside your gripe with Agatha until after the war, and after she has helped you kill the other two sisters ... perhaps her aid will redeem her in your eyes, and if not there'll still be two less hags in the world when this war is over."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Halcyon wrote:
Malazek wrote:"In his youth, Prince Zerxus was in love with a beautiful maiden named A'laia, who later turned out to be a Hag.
Supposedly, he spurned her for her lies ... and her ugliness. He fully expected to be cursed for his reaction, but no curse ever came from the hag. Indeed, she blessed him and his entire line. Because of this, the young prince set off into the Malbog to look for her, but she was never found. He even gave up his right to the throne, allowing his brother to become Emperor ... his brother was Sazar VII, the grandfather of the recently deceased Emperor."

"Such a cold, cruel Fate for two star-crossed lovers. Tragic the life one deserves is not always the life one gets. I'm sure Agatha knows not that her prince gave up the throne for her selfless affection."

"Mordax, I implore you - listen to your friends or listen to your General, but for all that's great and good listen! Agatha is a friend, and a formidible one at that. Her presence here would save Imperial lives if she were here to help. Now that you know her full story I hope you reconsider your threat. One such as her, who's love was taken too soon, to go through the empty years alone but bravely...she deserves better."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Witch-King wrote:Mordax steps back, a contemplative look upon his face. After a moment, he begins singing, the words falling softly from his lips.

"In the spring of my youth unveiling
how the sweet sounds of wild did call me o'
I espied then, a lovely maiden
and was entranced, by beauty fair.

But wild spirits, can not be tamed so
and she sped, far away from me o'
Through green glens, and mountain meadows
running far, both day and night.

Through bright rivers, and shining caverns
the long chase ran, from hilltop shadows
for mony weeks, she ran so fleetly,
but my lass, could not hide from me.

In a grove of golden flowers
I did catch and embrace my lover
though resist me, she did at first shy
in patient time, she melted fair.

Through summer's groves, we ventured gladly
hand-in-hand we strolled so contently
and our love, bloomed bright and sweetly,
light caresses, were our delight.

Wi' flowers in her hair so
sweetly scented, the night air o'
so perfumed, and bright and lovely
my hairt wept, wi' joy of her.

In that secret glen, of our beginning,
were we wed, my heart leaping
secret lovers, were now entwining
two young souls, sharing life so grand.

Tae her family, my promise bound me
of her joy, and safety soundly
in loving twining, we spoke of family
and the start, of new life grown.

But the night, turned dark and cold so
and lovely wife, was stricken ill no
both the child, and maiden strained oh
no healing, could keep them near.

A curse was laid, 'pon golden maiden
jealous hearts, did want tae claim her
for her beauty, was unrestrained and
foul hags, did claim her youth.

As winter's winds, clasped all 'round us
and that maiden, sighed one last time no
did I set forth, embittered warrior
bent on slaying, the cause of death.

I wandered far, and questioned mony,
and came tae a darkened cave mouth
discovered covens, of foul hags thence
I brought fire, and steel tae bear.

Some fell under bloody onslaught
some fled far intae night's embrace o'
but I hunted, long through that winter,
and slew all I came tae find.

Yet four escaped, the foul hags that
in embittered, and jealous pique cursed
that lovely maiden, I swore my life tae
and I lingered, for mony years.

Now I search, in endless questing
for those hags, that felled my lover
and I haunt, this darkened fen now
this fell bog, sae far from hame."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:23 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex raises his eyebrows.

"Erm...be that as it may. We need Agatha's help. Where can we get a Portal Scroll? We'll need two, I can perform the portal to get us back. What message shall we send to Agatha? We have 25 words."

Alex takes a scrap of paper and begins to write on it. Then he starts crossing out words
"Agatha. We who helped you before desperately need your aid. Dwarves march upon the Imperial City and have allied with your evil kin. Please will you come to help us Imperial City. Alex, Straegis, Davin.

"How about this?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Where can we get a Portal Scroll? We'll need two,"
"I have one. I just need the gold so I can replace it afterwards. Give me a minute, I'll see if I can get a hold of another one." He rushes over to where some other Imperial Mages are gathered and talks to another Lt Mage. After moment, he returns with a second Portal scroll. "Got it ... So, I'll need 1530 gold to cast these for you .. and another 50 to cast Sending."

"I'll cover the cost," the Princess says, removing her necklace. "I mean, part of the reason was to get ME home, right? So, it seems appropriate for me to pay for it." She hands the mage an emerald-studded mithril necklace that's gotta be worth atleast 7500 gold!
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:24 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Erm...are you sure Princess? Do you have...erm...change for that item?" He asks the mage, indicating its worth.
Swifthand wrote:"No. Allow me, Princess."

I hand 1580 gold to the wizard, taking the necklace back as I do, and then place it back around her neck, if she allows.

"The message sounds fine, Alex. Let us get this done."

-Swift
The Witch-King wrote:Mordax smiles cruelly, but says nothing.
Halcyon wrote:"If I didn't bear witness myself I would not believe that held in that rune-covered mail is the soul of a poet. Ye ne'er cease to surprise, Mordax."
magicspellz12 wrote:Alex noticies Davin's rather empty money pouch after paying. "Perhaps we'll just settle later."

------------
I'm so offended the only female character in the game right now is clueness. The other was a Hag, and the other is a bitch who didn't come to help us. Just great. Razz
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"No. Allow me, Princess."

I hand 1580 gold to the wizard, taking the necklace back as I do, and then place it back around her neck, if she allows.

"The message sounds fine, Alex. Let us get this done."
Yeah, ok, she allows it.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:I'm so offended the only female character in the game right now is clueness. The other was a Hag, and the other is a bitch who didn't come to help us. Just great. Razz
OOC: Haha. She's not exactly clueless, just out of her element ... but what about the two female Maor? Both of them are competent females. And the Oracle of the Raven Queen? Cool
Malazek wrote:One of the soldiers positions on top of the nearby building yells, "THE GOLDEN HOUNDS ARE ON FIRE!" Turning in that direction, everyone sees a thick cloud of black smoke rising over the buildings, apparently bellowing from the distant Three Hounds District.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"We better hurry. Could you kindly cast those spells?" Alex asks the mage. Smiling at the Princess. "I hope our paths cross again one day. Thanks for the Library fee; hopefully I'll be able to use it. You must visit Imil one day!" He bows, and doesn't wait to watch her leave, dashing away as he whips a small steam over water out of his skin and forms it into a slope.

Sliding up the thin slope one foot before the other he launches himself onto a nearby rooftop to look in the direction of The Hounds.

-------------
Perception: 15, What can I see other than smoke? I used The jump spell. Can I see Aodhan, or anything interesting? Dwarves swarming around? Is this the kind of situation Alex might be useul in?
-------------
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"... Could you kindly cast those spells?"
"Certianly. Each one will take about 10 minutes, so let's find a safe place to do it."

Alex wrote:Perception: 15, What can I see other than smoke? ... Can I see Aodhan, or anything interesting? Dwarves swarming around? Is this the kind of situation Alex might be useul in?
From the roof, Alex can see the distant fires; nearly half the 3Hounds district is burning with flames higher than the 30 foot district walls! He does not see Aodhan or any Dwarves (it's way too far away, and there are too many buildings in the way).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:26 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"I can't see anything interesting." Says Alex, wandering back over to where the mage is working and asking if he needs Arcana help. "Perhaps you could take a look Davin. Your eyes are keen."
Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:Alex, wandering back over to where the mage is working and asking if he needs Arcana help.
OOC: He said "let's find a safe place" first, so WHERE do you guys want him to cast it? Or would you just prefer me to pick?
magicspellz12 wrote:"We've been casting our rituals in a safehouse. We should return there. Our friends can guard the door."

Presuming they make it safely. Alex helps with the Arcana. Along with Straegis presumably.

-------------
Arcana = 24
Arcana = 19
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I nod at Alex and climb up to the roof.

Perception check=34
Athletics check=26

After surveying the situation in the Three Hounds district, I climb down and call Reed and the Rangers back together.

"General Ferall. I am going to send two of the Rangers to find Lady-General Zubina Liber and Lady-General Manon Van-Pysium."

"Ridly, Quanna - go see if you can find them. Tell them that we have important news that they MUST hear as soon as possible."

O.O.C. - I figured all of us, including the Princess, want to know who is in charge before we make our next move and she leave for the Femdrell. What is the Lt. Colonel and General Ferall doing? Has any of their people found the Lady-General's yet? Is anyone beginning to secure the Three Lions District considering what we found out? How late is it? Have the Iron Hills been withdrawn from the Training Grounds and on this side of the gate? Is the gate secure? (Sorry for the million questions...)

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"Ridly, Quanna - go see if you can find them. Tell them that we have important news that they MUST here as soon as possible."
"Where shall we look? In the training grounds?"
Assuming the answer is YES, they head off looking for a safe way into the Training Grounds.

Swifty wrote:O.O.C. - What is the Lt. Colonel and General Ferall doing? Has any of their people found the Lady-General's yet? Is anyone beginning to secure the Three Lions District considering what we found out? How late is it? Have the Iron Hills been withdrawn from the Training Grounds and on this side of the gate? Is the gate secure? (Sorry for the million questions...)
The Lord-General is speaking to his inferior officers, organizing both a sweep of the district and an effort to secure the walls & sewer grates. The Lt. Colonel seems to be do nothing; perhaps he is contemplating the fact that Alex invited someone else to his secret shady safehouse? The Iron Hills have not returned because the battle in the training grounds is still being fought; the remnants of the Dwarven assault force are stubbornly refusing to die (but the gate IS secure). It is evening; not yet dark, but certianly past dinner time.

Alex wrote:"We've been casting our rituals in a safehouse. We should return there. Our friends can guard the door."
"Great. Shall we go then?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:27 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Yes."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis will go with them toward the safehouse, but as they are walking he asks the Lt. Mage "Do you perhaps know of a better or closer location to do this?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Alex wrote:"Yes."
Straegis II wrote:Straegis will go with them toward the safehouse, but as they are walking he asks the Lt. Mage "Do you perhaps know of a better or closer location to do this?"
"I'm not sure that anywhere is safe nowadays, but I'm sure there's gotta be somewhere closer. How about this place right here? It look like a nice comfortable inn. Or this place over here? What is that? A warehouse. Why do you ask?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Swifthand wrote:"Wait a minute, Wizard."

"Railir, pai o baer sai cyrn shai air ail tasi shaerysi jhaelol?" ("Princess, do you need to know who is in charge before leaving?")

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
Davin wrote:"Wait a minute, Wizard."
The Lt. Mage turns back and waits for the rest of Davin is going to say.

Davin wrote:"Wait a minute, Wizard."

"Railir, pai o baer sai cyrn shai air ail tasi shaerysi jhaelol."
("Princess, do you need to know who is in charge before leaving?")
"Rnir, Ai ker Ai pyl's BAeR sai, sher Ai'p varaes vaeraes sai ... ialaer air'm ailylaelol sai aelaeseili ais Ai shar."
(Well, I guess I don't NEED to, but I'd rather prefer to ... unless it's inconvenient to everyone if I wait).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:"Air air byr ailylaelol eir eir. Si Valaes'm shor shi shas tystaelasolia. Eil sael shi tal ver eir jhaer oli vyrdaes sai shaer." ("It is not inconvenient at all. The Ranger's will be back momentarily. And then we can put at least one problem to bed.")

I turn to my assembled companions and the Lt. Mage.

"Let us wait a moment until the Ranger's return. I do not relish the package in the back of the wagon staying there any longer than necessary."

-Swift
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:Half an hour later ...

Reed and the ranger's return. "We found them both. Dead. Liber beheaded. Van-Pysium crushed under a ton of stone."

From several yeards away, Draxus Ferall looks back, white as a ghost.
The Lt. Colonel laughs. "The gods favor the Empire today!"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 25 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 25  Next