Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

+2
magicspellz12
Malazek
6 posters

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 24 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:30 pm

1 ... 2 ... 3 ...

Verity and Hound charge in, as Davin and Straegis attack from range. Quickly, the first five zombies fall. The monster squad follows suit, rushing in or attack at range as appropriate, felling seven more. The countless horde of undead turns to see the commotion, and recognizes that which they hate most: the living. Grunting and moaning, they spill forward like a sea of death. But the heroes are quick to launch their next attacks ...

That was surprise round. I rolled a -1 for the zombies initiative, so it's your attacks again.
Initiative rolls and Actions, please
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains" - Page 24 Empty Re: Book Two: Chapter Seven: "Restless Remains"

Post  macksgarageusa Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 am

O.o.C.: Provided there is still some space between us and the orcs...

Initiative: 1d20=5+9=14

Straegis will let another ranged attack fly, hoping to keep the enemies at a distance.

Move: If necessary?
Standard: Ranged attack on undead orc.

Attack: 1d20=11+16=27
Damage: 1d6=1+9=10

O.o.C.: If they have moved too close, lemme know and I'll amend. Also, don't forget 1 ally can reroll for Initiative (+5)

DM EDIT: You still have room enough
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:34 am

Twin Strike (against 2 separate targets) - 30, 39
Damage - 16, 15 vs quarry

Hit and Run (Hound) - 30
Damage - 11

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 pm

24 Init, Virtuous Strike 34 to hit, 15 damage
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 431

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:03 pm

OOC: This is why it took me so long to respond.

The heroes and their comrades fell a dozen more unead. Within seconds, the mobs of undead swarms forward, trying to surround the heroes; but since so many fell in the first moments of combat, none actually make it to the heroes (they're movement speeds are too slow). If this keeps up, it should be easy pickin's.

Go ahead and give me two more rounds worth of attacks.
If anybody misses, then some of the zombies might reach you
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Verity crashes into the rising tide of undeath, blade awhir.

32 and 28 to hit.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:57 am

Davin - 30, 38, 30, 33

Hound - 25, 31

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Straegis II: HP:96/96 AC:29 Fort:25 Ref:25 Will:22 Healing Surges:9/9 Action Points:1

As soon as his weapon returns to his hand, Straegis is ready with another attack. He lets the javelin fly, hoping to kill another of the creatures.

Move: If necessary(?)
Standard: Ranged attack on undead orc at ?

Attack: 1d20=12+16=28
Damage: 1d6=6+9=15

O.o.C.: If we manage to keep the orcs away for another round, I will use the same actions from above, if they get too close I will probably want to amend my post to include a melee attack.

Attack: 1d20=7+16=23
Damage: 1d6=3+9=12
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 am

Another second goes by, and another dozen orcs are felled. The rushing sea of unded getting no closer, as their numbers dwindle faster than their approach ... then, a wave of hungry monsters atacks from the rear, "surrounding the heroes." Filthy nails and unwashed teeth scartch at the heroes, but the seasoned adventurers easily avoid injury ... but one gets lucky, and bites Aubrey. The elf screams out in agony.

Then, Vangg raises his holy symbol and -- in his usual jumbled form of the language -- asserts his unwillingness to abide by such foul abberations, here in the Temple.
Juugug and Taalgarnuk raise their symbols, and join in the chant. (Verity might, too, if he has any "turn undead" left). A blinding white light errupts from the three, and fills the hall. Unnatural cries, akin to death knells, bellow all around you. When the light subsies, the monsters are gone ... only piles of body attest to their previous existance.

Continuing along the rounded hall, the heroes come to the heavy doors at the other end; one side has been knocked off it's hinges. Passing through the threshhold, they enter the crypt proper. Bodies of all sorts are scattered along the floor; orcs and dwarves, of course, but they are the minority. A myriad of other races make up the majority.

The braziers are still burning, suspended by heavy chains, overhead. ... But the sepulchres have been broken into; or at least, some of them have. The name plates have been knocked loose, and the hollow holds that once helds ancient corpses are now clearly empty.

The long crypt is two miles long, and the entire trek is littered with such bodies. Cautiously and carefully, the heroes and their allies move to the end. When they get there, they find the massive doors of the temple proper standing wide open (the secret doors on either side are still undisturbed). Here, the bodies are piled high; dwarves and orcs now the majority. It is obvious that they died in battle. The orcs you let pass, days prior, must have made their way here. Virtuously uncontested, they must have slaughtered the outnumbered Dwarves along the way, until finally they reached a larger force of their bearded foes. Here, the two clashed, and slaughtered one another, mercilessly.

But surely, someone must have emerged the winner? But where is the victor?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 am

So, we have searched the whole Cave Temple and found nothing else?

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am

Swifthand wrote:So, we have searched the whole Cave Temple and found nothing else?
You searched the entrance and the crypts. The main temple (where the Dwarves were stationed) can be seen through the open doorway; but you haven't entered/searched it yet. (There are also some smaller passageways and rooms on the otherside of the main temple, which most of you you have never seen).
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Verity keeps his whisper barely audible,
"I suppose this Necromancer could have moved his entire host to Jaru, but those who mock Death are a vain and pompous lot: To leave such a hard-won prize as his enemy's Temple?
"I doubt we're through the last of the Risen left here - things may well get worse before they get better.
"Could these bodies be more of those 'screamers'?"

Perception: 27 (will aid if someone with the skill wants to spin one)
Religion: 23 [screamer check]
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Motioning to the others that he intends to scout the area, the lone elf slips silently ahead to continue the search, disappearing into the shadows.

Stealth=38
Perception=39

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Verity checks the closest bodies, and determines that these are not undead. Most were slaughtered in one-on-one combat, but they do not shows any signs of unlife.
The Brothers Rinh verify his findings.

Meanwhile, Davin sneaks through the shadows, and checks out the temple. His observations are similiar to Verity's. After a moment, he discovers a woman, dressed loose-fitting Eastern clothing, her face shrouded by a veil just as her person is shrouded in shadow.

Passive Insight: Davin realizes she is looking AT him.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 pm

Straegis too checks the bodies with his allies. He is more interested in the battle itself, he uses his knowledge of warfare and battle to see if he can figure out which side was the victor in this skirmish, or if he can get a better idea of the total number of soldiers involved. (if the odds were even, whether the over- or under- matched side won, whether or not the defenders were caught off guard, etc.) He tries to determine which direction either winner or loser may have gone afterward.

Perception: 1d20=14+7(half-lvl)=21
History: 1d20=11+19=30

O.o.C: I went ahead and rolled a second time because I wasn't sure if you would need more than one of each check to try to get the info. Also, I'm not sure if I added all the mods. for the percep. rolls, plz check for me.

Perception: 1d20=11+7(half-lvl)=18
History: 1d20=1+19=20
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 am

Examining the signs of battle, Straegis deterines that the orcs caught the Dwarves off-guard, and took an early lead. The stalwart Dwarves, however, quickly recovered, and use superior disciple to recover, and throw the orcish forces into chaos. Aided by Goblins and already numerous, the orcs just kept coming, and eventually swarmed and outnumbered the Dwarves. But this is where it turns strange: there aren't enough bodies here, and none of the maimed or wounded (or dead?) stayed down; they kept getting back up, and rejoining the battle.

At any rate, some of the dead travelled out of the cave complex, toward the beaches; while others (in fact most) travelled deeper into the mountain.
Only a fraction of either army remains, felled upon the temple floor.

Straegis also wonders what the advantage is to splitting up the forces. Clearly, those that went out did so to sack Jaru ... but why did some of the forces move deeper into the caverns? Perhaps there were still more Orcs and Goblins on their way? It sure didn't seem like it when you last saw the Horde. But then, why?
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Satisfied that the dead are truly at rest, Verity readies a charge at anyone who attacks an ally.
Hoping his allies will do the same he whispers, "Be ready for trouble" .

Last edited by Halcyon on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Halcyon wrote:Satisfied that the dead are truly at rest, Verity readies a charge at anyone who attacks Davin.
Hoping his allies will do the same, he whispers "Cover him".
OOC: You'll need a Perception check for that (DC 38). He's pretty well hidden.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:09 pm

OCC: Edited above post.
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am

Just as he finishes with his own information gathering, he hears Verity's warning. Unsure of which direction the trouble could be coming from, he quickly pulls the javelin and follows the knights lead, ready to attack someone/something if necessary.

Readied Action: Ranged Attack up to 20 sq.

Attack: 1d20=15+16=31
Damage: 1d6=4+9=13
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:01 am

The mysterious woman watches the heroes for a moment. Then, she begins to speak as she she steps from the shadows. "Tank koodness you're here." As she comes into the light, she removes the eastern veil from her face and takes dwon the hood from her head. "(Tat diskuise vas startink to ket hot)." She shakes her head, allowing her dark hair to tumble free. Her hair is almost long enough to reach the ground; two thick braids sit amongst the freer loose mass. Looking back up, she inches closer. She's a rather plain woman, not overly pretty, but pleasant nonetheless. "I'm Babette Yandova."

"I left te East to escape oppression. But vhen I kot here, I found tat te armies of my homeland vere here , as vell; allied vith te Dwarvish people, tey vere invadink. So, in order to survive, I pretended to be vith te familes of te soldiers. Tat allowed me to blend in, and nobody questioned my presence here."

"But, vhen te orcs came: bot sides slaughtered one anot'er. Some ting came over tem; none vould stay dead, until all ot'ers joined tem in te grave. It vas very frightenink."

"Fortunately, I vas able to hide in tat corner, and escape certian death. And now, you've come to rescue to me."
She smiles.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Halcyon Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Verity’s eyes narrow as the woman inches closer to Davin.

“She honed in on Palol like a hawk to a hare - This Babette is no commoner. What say you Brother Vangg, does she speak true?”

OCC: Aid insight - 18
Halcyon
Halcyon
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  macksgarageusa Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:12 pm

As the woman talks, Straegis' ears instantly pick up on the accent and inflection of her speech. He listens intently as she talks and tries to pinpoint her native tongue, hoping this can give at least some understanding of their present situation. While she finishes talking, he waits until she is close enough and tries to figure out if this woman is who she appears to be and what effects, if any, she may be using to alter the allies perceptions.

Perception: 1d20=8+7(half-lvl)=15
History(Language): 1d20=5+19=24

Arcana check: 1d20=16+22=38

O.o.C.: I'm not sure if I needed those perception and history checks to try to identify the language or not. The arcana check is meant to try to 'sense the presence of magic' when the woman is within range of me (12 sq.).
macksgarageusa
macksgarageusa
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:26 am

Insight - 31 (+2 for Hound's bad guy dog sense Aid) = 33

"Fortuitous indeed. We have made a career out of rescuing damsels in distress."

O.O.C. - Are we still communicating through OHOM?

-Swift
Swifthand
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Verity wrote:“She honed in on Palol like a hawk to a hare - This Babette is no commoner. What say you Brother Vangg, does she speak true?”
Vangg puffs out his chest and decalres (in the sharp tongue) that she is neither common nor honoest. The woman is taken aback by the blatancy of the conversation, but has clearly heard the sharp-tongue enough to decipher it. When the surprise wears off, her face reddens with anger.

Straegis wrote:Straegis' ears instantly pick up on the accent and inflection of her speech. He listens intently as she talks and tries to pinpoint her native tongue
Her accent is is not from the Eastern Peninsula, as her outfit would suggest; but it seems to be from th lands east of Shadow Pass (that is, to the east, yes; but she is no "Easterner," per se).

Straegis wrote:what effects, if any, she may be using to alter the allies perceptions.
Arcana
Straegis has sensed this type of "magic" before ... she is clearly a HAG.

Davin wrote:"Fortuitous indeed. We have made a career out of rescuing damsels in distress."
At first, Davin can't tell if she is being truthful or not; but he picks up on Vangg's confidence right away. Her reaction to the Dwarf's words are more telling; she is a liar, momentarily flustered by getting caught by the team's keen insight.

Davin wrote:O.O.C. - Are we still communicating through OHOM?
No. It took 17 or 18 minutes to cross the two-mile-long Mausoleaum.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 27 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next