Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Book One: Chapter One: "Dark Skies"

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Sundown wrote:Cairn or Anin , i would wish to see both , or atleast journey to the Fey like in my dreams. MMM , yes , this fish is better with salt... anyone want some?

O.O.C. - Added my magic items to character sheet.Awesome ritual Alex , some top notch storytelling.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:"Alex makes the lizardman aware of these plans, stressing the haste that they must make for the poor maiden."

Diplomacy: 18 My rolls are on FIRE lately
Perhaps I can take you to look at them. But if you leave and return, then I would ask you a favor. Some Beef. It tastes so yummy, and we don't get any here in the Malbog.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:51 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:"Of course. That would be greatly appreciated and I will offer my thanks in any way I can. I will get as much beef as possible"

Being reminded of the presense of the maiden, Alex does his magical check that he had previously forgotten. It also may help understanding the lizardmen tribes. He tells the lizardman as much.

"We met the maiden under strange circumstances, allow me to perform this check to see if she is a hag in disguise, perform one yourself if you need to."

He tells a different story to the group though.

"We're just going to attempt something magical, it won't take a moment."
===============
Bluff to not arouse suspician of the girl: 2 Looks like I got cocky.
Arcana, to Sense magic, takes a minute: 15 Yep. Too cocky. Just rolled a 4 and a 2!
===============
After a minute of probing with water gloves, Alex shrugs. "Can't feel anything, can you?" He asks the Mystic.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - How long does it take to copy a ritual? How many does the lizardman have that you need? Could you and Vangg each copy different rituals and then exchange in Brackwater to save time?

"I know the exact the ruins that he speaks of. I thought they might be the remains of Talthanin, though I could find no evidence of it at the time. I could lead us there after we return Kalee to her family, if you all have need."

Davin silently passes on the fish.

-Swift
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Malazek wrote:Alex senses no magic about the girl; and neither does the mystic.
But Kalee is obviously distrubed by your sudden use of "magic stuff" on her.
She gets up, and runs over to Davin for protection.

Tell your friends you'll be right back, and then follow me, the mystic says as he gets up and moves to the door.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:-OOC: Two of us could copy 4 rituals per day together, and still rest OK.
Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:-OOC: Two of us could copy 4 rituals per day together, and still rest OK.
Yes, but it's already dark. If you want to leave in the morning, it's a choice of sleep OR a ritual. And if you don't leave in the morning, you'll have to camp another night in the bog before you make it to the Wyver Woodland. Of course, you two could sleep on the wagon and HOPE the party doesn't get attacked. Or maybe rest and copy one full day before leaving? It's up to all of you.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex follows the mystic, telling them all where he is going, he will automatically refuse any offers of protection, or for others to join him.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Swifthand wrote:"I have no love of the 'Bog, but I don't think an extra day will matter, as long as our hosts agree. Can you deal with one more day, Kalee? The knowledge these folk have is of some import to my companions."

Diplomacy check on Kalee =14

O.O.C. - Can I get any conditional modifiers for saving her/being her advocate?

-Swift
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:Alex follows the mystic ...
The mystic whispers something to the guards outside, and the continues on across the village grounds to another, smaller hut. He opens the doors, and moves in.

The hut is rustic, as expected. The single-room cabin is decorated by all manner of hunting trophies; animal heads on the walls, furs on the floor.

Several shelves also hang from the walls, centered between the various trophies. Leather packs and glass jars fill the shelves. You imagine them to be filled with all sorts of alchemical reagents and rare herbs.

Several woven matts lay piled up in the corner. The mystic lifts one to the center of the room, and unrolls it. "These are probably the most interesting," the Mystic says. "By the way, you never told me your name. They call ME Mykondalar."

Sitting on the now flattened matt, are the following items:
*Fins of the Deepmage (see below)
*A Templar's Shield (see below)
*Baldric of the Aqueas Corporal (see below)
*2 ruined spellbooks (waterlogged and moldy)
*A water-proof scroll case, containing the map of an unknown location.
*A gold & pearl ring (non-magical, but worth about 250 gp)
*Three fine silk robes (non-magical, but worth about 250 gp each); 1 navy, 1 marine-grey, and 1 seafoam-green

Fins of the Deepmage
These enchanted shoes look like fins extending from your toes and enhance your ability to swim.
Item Slot: Feet
Property: When you make an Athletics check to swim, you can swim at your normal speed instead of one-half your speed.
Power (Daily): Move Action. On this move action, you move with a swim speed equal to your speed.

Templar's Shield
This stout shield can be used to force your opponents away from your party.
Item Slot: Arms
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit an enemy with a melee attack. Push the enemy 1d4 squares after applying the attack’s effects.

Baldric of the Aqueas Corporal
This leather belt was worn over the shoulder of the corporal assigned to a squad of Aqueas Templar.
It allowed him to keep his fellows (and his charge) alive
Item Slot: Waist
Property: Each ally within 5 squares of you gains a +1 item bonus to his or her healing surge value.
Power (Daily ✦ Healing): Minor Action. Lose two healing surges. An ally within 5 squares of you regains one healing surge.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Malazek wrote:
Swifthand wrote:O.O.C. - Can I get any conditional modifiers for saving her/being her advocate?
Absolutely. Davin has a +6 Circ bonus with her; evertone else is +4.

Swifthand wrote:"I have no love of the 'Bog, but I don't think an extra day will matter, as long as our hosts agree. Can you deal with one more day, Kalee? The knowledge these folk have is of some import to my companions."
Diplomacy check on Kalee =20
Bashfully, she nods.

Is everyone else cool with this plan?
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Halcyon wrote:Verity makes a valiant effort at remaining conscious though the exchange of ideas about magic and history... but dozes. He can be found snoring contentedly in the corner and occasionally mumbling about truffles.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

magicspellz12 wrote:"Alex is my name."

He looks at the item, as he returns the map to its case he says "Hmm...thats rather dissapointing. May I ask you another question? Did Lexis carry something that looked like this, or do you have anything like it?"

Alex swings his waterskin around. It is no ordinary waterskin. Made of dyed white leather, and topped with a steel cap attatched by a delicate silver chain. The top of the stopper is stamped with the curling wave symbol of Imil, and the side of the fine leather has three wavey stripes on it (the symbol of aquarius). "It holds water for a Watermage to use when there is none around. I'd have never of guessed of any watermages working in a barren land, as you say the Malbog was. We're usually found in swamps, marshes, near the sea, underwater caverns, near rivers and far away where the ice stays all year round, or high in the mountains where the air is full of water and it crunches as snow underfoot. Never in a barren land, where it is so hot the very air contains no moisture! It would be like being blind.
I couldn't imagine Lexsis without something similar to my waterskin. Unless she used something different to carry her water? Or I suppose she may have discarded it when she came to live in the swamp, or lost it in the destruction of Anin perhaps..." Alex attempts to answer his question before the Mystic even gets a chance to respond.

"Nothing here really changes things I'm sad to say. The spellbooks are ruined and I have no idea where the map details. I shall return to my friends and begin copying the rituals if you don't mind. We shall stay tonight and tomorrow if that is ok, although the magic of the communication spell will fade before we leave."
"On the second morning we will leave for Brackwater to return the maiden and I shall deliver your message of peace to the folk who live there, and tell them to inform all travellers going into the Malbog of it as well. I don't know how long we will be held up in Brackwater, but I will try and get here as soon as possible on the return journey with as much Beef as I can stuff the wagon with."

Alex gestures that they leave the tent, looking at the items of the lost age with a sort of dissapointment. I know I have found so much. Yet, I still have no real answers. Oh, to communicate with the Masters at Imil and ask them would be heaven. Sadly...an unlikely event. I must hope I am asking the right questions...I would hate to dissapoint them.

On the way out he asks "You do know that some of the items are magical and worth a lot of money. The shield, fins, and baldric are all enchanted. Why don't you use equip your warriors with them?"

Alex indicates that he wishes to return to his friends. Although he trusts the Mystic implicetly, he's a little worried about that whisper to the guards...but it seems he was too excited to notice.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Can I help in copying the rituals? I do have (some) skill in Arcana, and I require less rest time than the every one else.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malazek wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:"Alex is my name."

He looks at the items, as he returns the map to its case he says "Hmm...thats rather dissapointing. May I ask you another question? Did Lexis carry something that looked like this, or do you have anything like it?"
"Not usually, but when she left, she carried 11 waterskins with her."

magicspellz12 wrote:"Nothing here really changes things I'm sad to say. The spellbooks are ruined and I have no idea where the map details. I shall return to my friends and begin copying the rituals if you don't mind. We shall stay tonight and tomorrow if that is ok, although the magic of the communication spell will fade before we leave."
"Let me borrow your spellbook while you sleep, so that I may copying a single ritual. Tomorrow, you can stay and copy spells the entire day. We will trade back the morning of your departure, and return your friends weapons, as well."

magicspellz12 wrote:"On the second morning we will leave for Brackwater to return the maiden and I shall deliver your message of peace to the folk who live there, and tell them to inform all travellers going into the Malbog of it as well. I don't know how long we will be held up in Brackwater, but I will try and get here as soon as possible on the return journey with as much Beef as I can stuff the wagon with."
"I look forward to your return, but if you are waylaid by unforeseen matters, so not fret. We will remember you, Aquamancer."

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex gestures that they leave the tent, looking at the items of the lost age with a sort of dissapointment. I know I have found so much. Yet, I still have no real answers. Oh, to communicate with the Masters at Imil and ask them would be heaven. Sadly...an unlikely event. I must hope I am asking the right questions...I would hate to dissapoint them.
"We can send an animal messenger to Imil in the morning, if you like. My hunter's can easily capture a live bird; even one capable of such a long journey."

magicspellz12 wrote:On the way out he asks "You do know that some of the items are magical and worth a lot of money. The shield, fins, and baldric are all enchanted. Why don't you use equip your warriors with them?"
"Yes, I know. But they are precious to our culture, and we wish not to damage them frivolously. If the need arises, we shall have them."

magicspellz12 wrote:Alex indicates that he wishes to return to his friends. Although he trusts the Mystic implicetly, he's a little worried about that whisper to the guards...but it seems he was too excited to notice.
Mykondalar leads you back to the lodge. he grabs a satchel full of exotic inks and other materials as he heads out the door.
Do you entrust your spellbook to him?
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Malazek wrote:
macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Can I help in copying the rituals? I do have (some) skill in Arcana, and I require less rest time than the every one else.
Hmm. Technically, no, because you can't imbue the copy with magical energy ... but you might be able to get some of it started. I'll allow Straegis to execute half the process (4 hours worth), but an actual ritual caster will have to finish the work.

Remember, too, that neither Alex nor Vangg can copy ritual over 3rd level: that means Animal Messenger, Silence, Endure Elements, Eye of Alarm, and Water Walk are the only one's they're capable of copying at this time.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:56 pm

macksgarageusa wrote:Straegis says to Davin in Elven, "Dil mu ress jiv i wyp te prel ar alk nyva, y ure bon mul varrn
rer vec, ef yi wal navi rig ar."
("Can you please ask the girl to give us a minute, I have some important
words and I don't think I trust her.")

(Assuming she will give us some space momentarily) Straegis motions to the group to come in closer
and says, "All who can hear me should listen, I don't want to have to tell this story too many times
or too loudly."
He quiets his voice to just above a whisper and continues on with his tale, "When you
found me wandering through the Malbog I was not lost, I informed you all that I was indeed looking for someone. I hail
from the Feywild, as most of you are probably aware, and I told you briefly of my family history. I did however
manage to leave out a very important detail, that I think may be relevant now. My portal to your world allows me
to enter from a place called Cairn o' Talth, I believe this is the Talth'Anin the mystic spoke of and we are
indeed close. I could most likely get us there without the map...but I am not sure this would be a great plan
at the moment."

Pausing for a second to look around suspiciously he continues with his story, "You see, I told you
of my father and his legendary exploits and how so many of my people expected me to follow in his shadow.
Well, I was informed of our military's intention to send some detailed plans to the human army here, so I
volunteered to be the courier. My superiors decided that because I would be easily recognized, I should
carry a decoy scroll, unfortunately this was not the path I had chosen for myself."

Straegis reaches into his pack and slowly removes a sealed scrollcase and smirks as he says, "I took the real
scroll and set out before they knew what happened. So...heading toward 'Talth' at this time, could prove
to be the wrong plan. I would guess they know already but if not, I suspect that if I don't get the scroll delivered,
when this fact is discovered 'in my fathers shadow' is not where they will put me."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg, bewildered by all that is going on looks to Streagis and says, "As long ah ye scroll doth not speaks o' 'ags an' dere secrets ... me be ok w' it Straegis II."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:I nod at Straegis and ask Kalee to stay over in the corner I was hanging out in. Assuming she does, I listen with interest, my face growing grim as the story comes to an end.

Keeping my voice low, I say, "If the humans need those plans, we had better make haste. And considering the secrecy and skulduggery involved in the delivery of the plans, I have little doubt of their import. You say you can aid Vangg and Alex in copying their rituals, I say do so - we will leave as soon as we can, and the three of you can rest in the wagon. We will just have to hope Melora looks favorably on us to deliver us from the 'Bog without incident. We will return Kalee to her family, quickly provision in Brackwater, and then head to deliver your scroll. Do you all agree?"

I look to each of my companions for their approval. When Alex returns, I will pull him aside and explain the change in plans.

-Swift
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

151prooftattoos wrote:Vangg nods.

"Me helps w' da writin's! Me hopes ye find what ye seek, Alex. Mayhaps da purpose o' meetin' ye's ... da destines."
Malazek wrote:OOC: Vangg can use this time to add a ritual to how own ritual book, as well.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:58 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:OOC- Alex will allow the Mystic to use his spellbook.

The next day Alex will copy Animal Messenger, perform the ritual and then add Waterwalk to his spellbook. Telling the mystic that he must lead the ritual because the lizardman couldn't deliver a message in Common for him, even though the lizardman might have been more proficient in its casting.

If the fates will allow it. He designates Master Jenna in Imil to be the recipient. His message is fragmented, hoping to get the most out of the 25 words the bird is limited to.

Malbog. Found skeletons. Aqueous Templar with Amulet. Wavestrider. Found Lizardmen Waterbenders. Taught by Lexis of Anin, reputable, powerful, recently vanished. My power grows. Alex. Come.

He'll ask for help from the Mystic, Davin, and any member of the party that has 'expirience with nature, as this is a completely different kind of ritual, involving offerings to the spirits of the land and natural gods.' With Alex leading, the Mystic and (hopefully) Davin aiding. If no one untrained wants to volunteer, Alex will ask for any members of the lizardman tribes who might be skilled in this situation, and will gladly take the help from another 2 of them or any party members just wanting to have a go.

-------------------
Nature to aid the ritual: 28 (Nat 20!) Doesn't look like I'll need much help =P Hopefully with the bonus's from the helpers though it will really make a good ritual.

If I've gone too fast! I'll save this somewhere and paste it some other time.
------------------
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Halcyon wrote:ZZZZZ...Hrmph-mmrph truffle of destiny...ZZZZZZ...ZZZZZZ
151prooftattoos wrote:OOC: Which rituals can I learn? Just the ones they are doing? Or any my level?
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

macksgarageusa wrote:O.O.C.: Are we resting now? If I can assume yes, after my 4 hrs I will begin transcribing what
I can. Do I need to roll something for this?

Straegis turns to Alex and says, "Show me the info that I can copy for you, I don't know
how much I can do but I think every bit will help. I am not sure that staying two days here is the best
course of action, my opinion is that we should take only what we can get in one day."

Motioning toward the rest of the group he says, "Of course if you all agree to stay, I
will not protest any more."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Swifthand wrote:
Malazek wrote:Remember, too, that neither Alex nor Vangg can copy ritual over 3rd level: that means Animal Messenger, Silence, Endure Elements, Eye of Alarm, and Water Walk are the only one's they're capable of copying at this time.

O.O.C. - OK. I had more time to think of the logistics of what is going on and this is what I came up with. Let's assume we all want Vangg and Alex to get all the rituals they can - they are hard to come by, and are the types of utility spells that help us all. There are 5 rituals to copy, but we don't need them all in both of your books (you guys can trade later). That being said....

What time is it? It was dusk when we arrived, and if it is spring or fall, that would put us at about 7ish. We ate, did the ritual, and then Alex went with the mystic...2 hours? So it's between 9pm-10pm?

Assuming Stragis helps immediately, Alex sleeps, and Vangg begins to copy rituals, we have one ritual in Alex's book and one in Vangg's book, and it is 5-6am. Alex wakes up and begins to work, still with Stragis helping, and Vangg sleeps. It is now 1-2pm and we have 4 rituals done. Now Stragis takes a well deserved rest. Alex finally hands his book over to the mystic, and Vangg copies the last ritual into his book. It is now 9-10pm and the rituals are done.

The problem is, to do this, you guys need your books. That means that the mystic didn't begin his copying until 2pm. You need a 35 Arcana to write a language with Comprehend Languages, so no one can help him, either. How many rituals is the mystic copying? Between the two of you, you have Gentle Repose, Make Whole, Tenser's Floating Disk, and Comprehend Languages. I think Mal said the mystic knew Comprehend Languages, so that leaves 3 rituals. At that rate, the mystic won't be done until day 2, 2pm.

One solution is to cast Comprehend Languages again and get a 35 so someone can aid the mystic.

At any rate, even if I am off by a couple hours and the mystic only wants to copy two rituals, I don't see a way to leave with the rituals done without staying here two nights. Based on this, I have edited my above post concerning our plan and when we are leaving.

-Swift
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm

magicspellz12 wrote:I thought we were going to stay for two NIGHTS.

Today is over, but Alex gives his spellbook to the Mystic who uses 8 hours to copy Comprehend Languages.

Then the next day we all wake up refreshed. Alex copies Animal Messenger and performs the ritual in the first 8 hours whilst Vanng copies a ritual of his own choosing.
Then Alex copies Water walk while, again, Vanng copies another ritual.

Then we go to bed, and Straegis puts the first half of a ritual into Vanng's book whilst we sleep (Alex won't let someone else WRITE in his book). Then we leave at dawn, hoping to make it to Brackwater as the day comes to a close.

Nice?
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Swifthand wrote:
magicspellz12 wrote:I thought we were going to stay for two NIGHTS.

Today is over, but Alex gives his spellbook to the Mystic who uses 8 hours to copy Comprehend Languages.

Then the next day we all wake up refreshed. Alex copies Animal Messenger and performs the ritual in the first 8 hours whilst Vanng copies a ritual of his own choosing.
Then Alex copies Water walk while, again, Vanng copies another ritual.

Then we go to bed, and Straegis puts the first half of a ritual into Vanng's book whilst we sleep (Alex won't let someone else WRITE in his book). Then we leave at dawn, hoping to make it to Brackwater as the day comes to a close.

Nice?

Got it. I didn't know that the mystic was only going to copy one ritual, and I was confused when Mal said we could get it done in one night if you guys didn't rest. Two nights it is.

I go to sleep without a word and wake up before dawn. I tell Straegis that I am heading out for a bit and leave. I will go to our wagon, pick up my old bow and arrows, and go out to do a bit of hunting. I am specifically looking for deer or ducks, enough to feed us and hopefully give some to our hosts as well.

If the wagon is being guarded, I will use the opportunity to test their alertness.

Stealth check to get bow=26
Stealth check while hunting=24
Nature check while hunting=23
Perception check to track my quarry=31

When I return, I will toss my bow back into the wagon and begin to dress my game, accepting any aid the lizardmen offer. I should be back by midmorning.

-Swift
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next