Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Page 4 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  TheDeadWillWalk on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:44 pm

FutbolDude21586 wrote:"Taryk, what did you find there?" Iris asks from a knee, inspecting one of the fallen men.
 
Taryk squints into the distance. "Up there. I'm betting that's where our 'witness' was when these poor saps got sacked.  I thought it was a rocky cropping, but I'm thinking now that it's actually ruins."  He points the spot out to the others.  "What's the ledger say?"
avatar
TheDeadWillWalk
Arcane Adept
Arcane Adept

Male Posts : 79
Join date : 2016-03-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  zappo168 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 pm

“Oh!” Jasmine almost shrieks. “Glad you found something,” to Taryk. “I was hoping we’d be able to make some headway of what we’ve got here. ‘Course, haven’t cracked the ledger, yet. Come on, bring over whatever it is you found on the ground over there, and take a look at this book with me if ye please.”
avatar
zappo168
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 157
Join date : 2016-04-02
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Jasmine wrote:‘Course, haven’t cracked the ledger, yet. Come on, bring over whatever it is you found on the ground over there, and take a look at this book with me if ye please.”

Turning his head away from the rocky cropping, Thane will move towards Jasmine to see what the party has found.

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  TheDeadWillWalk on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:06 am

Taryk looks into the pouch as he makes his way over to Jasmine.
avatar
TheDeadWillWalk
Arcane Adept
Arcane Adept

Male Posts : 79
Join date : 2016-03-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:03 am

Taryk counts 11 coins in the little pouch, accompanied by a thumb-sized ivory sculpture of an elephant-headed woman.


Last edited by Malazek on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:31 am

Cracking open the leather portfolio, the group discovers a ledger of Jonrick's business transactions. The list goes back years and details hundreds of transactions. All of the entries sound like books, maps, or scrolls; with titles like "the History of House Nasir - Bringing Baskets to Zargos," "A Pirate's Guide to Seamanship and Fishing," "Bakeman's Poetry," and "Maps of Buckfield and Beyond."

The ledger shows how much he paid to acquire the books (usually around 1 or 2 coins, but sometimes more), how much he sold them for (typically twice what he paid for them), and where he sold them (usually Zargos or Twin Towns). A few of the entries include additional notes, such as the condition of the book or the name of a customer, but most do not. There are no dates listed, but the list appears to have been compiled in chronological order (in the order he acquired the books).

One entry stands out from the others: a book entitled "Morbis Malum." The ledger lists "Joretta" as the price he paid for it and Zargos as the place he did so. No sale price is listed, indicating it hasn't yet been sold, and based on the entries that follow, you would guess that he purchased the book several weeks ago. In the notes column, he has written "3000 2000 500 150?"

By counting the number of entries without sales listed, you figure he had 65 books currently in his inventory (which is quite a collection).
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  FutbolDude21586 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Malazek wrote:One entry stands out from the others: a book entitled "Morbis Malum." The ledger lists "Joretta" as the price he paid for it and Zargos as the place he did so. No sale price is listed, indicating it hasn't yet been sold, and based on the entries that follow, you would guess that he purchased the book several weeks ago. In the notes column, he has written "3000 2000 500 150?"

By counting the number of entries without sales listed, you figure he had 65 books currently in his inventory (which is quite a collection).
Pointing to this particular entry, Iris speaks up. "This may be the reason why the caravan was waylaid. 'Morbis Malum' means 'Bad Diseases' in Ancient. The robed figure that Jonrick (?) saw must have been aware of this book and perpetrated this entire thing." Looking around, "Are any other books missing?" Iris asks, concerned.


OOC: Rolling Investigation to look around the caravan/wagon/massacre sight for the other books.
avatar
FutbolDude21586
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:29 pm

The member 'FutbolDude21586' has done the following action : Roll Dice!


'd10' : 2

Admin
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-08-16

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  TheDeadWillWalk on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Taryk dumps the coins back into the pouch and tosses the figurine to Iris.
"What do you make of this? I don't recognize any elephant headed deity or spirit. Does it have something to do with this business?"
avatar
TheDeadWillWalk
Arcane Adept
Arcane Adept

Male Posts : 79
Join date : 2016-03-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Searching the grounds near the wagon, you find no other books lying around. The attackers (presumably Goblins) must have carried them off.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  FutbolDude21586 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 pm

TheDeadWillWalk wrote:Taryk dumps the coins back into the pouch and tosses the figurine to Iris.
"What do you make of this? I don't recognize any elephant headed deity or spirit. Does it have something to do with this business?"
Trying to catch the figurine, and failing, Iris picks it up from the ground and examines it. "Hhmm."

OOC: Lore: Religion +2 roll.
avatar
FutbolDude21586
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:02 pm

The member 'FutbolDude21586' has done the following action : Roll Dice!


'd10' : 1

Admin
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-08-16

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  zappo168 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:28 pm

“’Joretta,’ now I don’t suppose that rings a bell to anyone. And ‘Bad Diseases?’ what would make that such a valuable book anyhow?” She hrmphs. “Well, if this is the robbery site, I’d say there’s a fair amount of scuffle and scrambling that I need to check about here. And Taryk, were you suggestin’ we start a group tally of findings and such? I think that’s a great idea, we can use the wagon if ya all like.”

OOC: Jasmine begins to cautiously explore the attack site and the surrounding area to see if there is anywhere suspicious-looking, or where the victors may have taken off.

Tracking/Survival.

3+2 for 5, pretty crappy. Maybe someone can do better?


Last edited by zappo168 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
zappo168
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 157
Join date : 2016-04-02
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:28 pm

The member 'zappo168' has done the following action : Roll Dice!


'd10' : 3

Admin
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-08-16

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:12 am

OOC: A 5 is good enough in this case.

Checking the area for tracks, Jasmine confirms the group's belief that this was the attack site. It's difficult to tell exactly how many combatants there were, but there were a lot of them. Jonrick's guards were outnumbered by at least ten to one. She also finds tracks that appear to have been made by some gigantic wolf of some sort. The victors appear to have came from the mountains and returned that way after the battle. She does not, however, see any footprints heading to or from the rocky outcropping that Taryk pointed out.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 am

"These book names do not mean much to me. I suggest, however, we get moving. The bandits have quite the head start on us, if we are to catch up with them we should start moving. I am somewhat familiar with these mountains so that may be of some use."

Survival Roll

OOC: Can I get a bonus for just traveling through these mountains?
OOC2: LOL, critical Failure nice.


Last edited by Alpha Omega on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Admin on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:46 am

The member 'Alpha Omega' has done the following action : Roll Dice!


'd10' : 1

Admin
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-08-16

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  FutbolDude21586 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:29 pm

zappo168 wrote:OOC: Jasmine begins to cautiously explore the attack site and the surrounding area to see if there is anywhere suspicious-looking, or where the victors may have taken off.

Tracking/Survival.

3+2 for 5, pretty crappy. Maybe someone can do better?
OOC: Remember, it's a d10 not a d20 so a 5 is pretty decent.

"Yes, we should get moving. There's nothing we can do here except bury the bodies." Iris sighs.
avatar
FutbolDude21586
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-03-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Thane wrote:OOC: Can I get a bonus for [having] just traveling through these mountains?
OOC: Sure. I'll add an extra +1 to the total, since you passed near to here in your backstory.

Iris wrote:OOC: Remember, it's a d10 not a d20 so a 5 is pretty decent.
OOC: Exactly ... and most of the time, then TN will actually be 5. (In the case of Jasmine trying to track a horde of goblins, who were moving quickly with stolen loot and not bothering to cover their tracks, after just a few hours of great weather, well, then TN was actually only 3. Basically, a skilled survivalist should have no trouble following these particular tracks). The roll was more to see what additional information I could throw at you.



Last edited by Malazek on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Malazek on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Jasmine wrote:Jasmine begins to ... see ... where the victors may have taken off. 
Thane wrote:"I suggest, however, we get moving ... I am somewhat familiar with these mountains ..."
Iris wrote:"Yes, we should get moving. There's nothing we can do here."
Relying on Jasmine's tracking skills and Thane's familiarity with the mountains, the party begins to follow the "Goblin tracks." The tracks lead you higher into the foothills, toward the mountains. After half an hour or so, you see a rocky cliff-side in the distance. A crude wooden ramp sits in front of cliff, flanked by two crude wooden ladders. The ground between you and the cliff is crowded with tree stumps, but a dense copse of evergreens sits at the top of the cliff. The Wyrmstail mountains loom ahead.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 45

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Somnium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Malazek wrote:Relying on Jasmine's tracking skills and Thane's familiarity with the mountains, the party begins to follow the "Goblin tracks." The tracks lead you higher into the foothills, toward the mountains. After half an hour or so, you see a rocky cliff-side in the distance. A crude wooden ramp sits in front of cliff, flanked by two crude wooden ladders. The ground between you and the cliff is crowded with tree stumps, but a dense copse of evergreens sits at the top of the cliff. The Wyrmstail mountains loom ahead.

Merrill will look around to make sure there aren't any sentries guarding this point of access to the cliff.
avatar
Somnium
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 140
Join date : 2016-03-14

http://www.theredactedfiles.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Admin on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:18 pm

The member 'Somnium' has done the following action : Roll Dice!


'd10' : 4

Admin
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Posts : 218
Join date : 2009-08-16

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  zappo168 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:51 pm


“Hold back,” Jasmine whispers. She points to the dense evergreens to Merill. “Lookout point?”
avatar
zappo168
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 157
Join date : 2016-04-02
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Fu3l3dGam3r on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:35 am

Drakor maintains his shadowy disposition and will follow with the group. Drakor wonders to himself if the group even notices he is with them, or if they have forgot about him all together. He quickly dismisses his thoughts and ventures on.

--OOC: Drakor will try to maintain 2nd position in marching order.
avatar
Fu3l3dGam3r
Arcane Adept
Arcane Adept

Male Posts : 84
Join date : 2013-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  TheDeadWillWalk on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Realizing all eyes are on him, Taryk sighs audibly and drops the sack of gold into the wagon with Iris. At least there should be gobos to sizzle. He figures on Drakor covering the perimeter of the area and Jasmine covering the ground, so he places himself at a high vantage point and uses his keen senses to survey the surrounding area.

OOC: Perception 4 + 2 = 6
avatar
TheDeadWillWalk
Arcane Adept
Arcane Adept

Male Posts : 79
Join date : 2016-03-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #1 -- The Road to Ruin

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum