Arcane Asylum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

3 posters

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 2 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:14 pm

"We are here looking to gather information about the dragon incursion of late. It would appear that the giants were invading due to the dragons pushing them out of their lands. It now seems as if these dragons are continuing to push into the Five Realms. We believe this may be due to outside intervention and not necessarily something that the dragons themselves are plotting. Regardless we're here to both help and learn what we can."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future - Page 2 Empty Re: Adventures #7 & #8 - Jotun Valley and the Dragon Orbs -&- Bleak be the Future

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"We are here looking to gather information about the dragon incursion of late. It would appear that the giants were invading due to the dragons pushing them out of their lands. It now seems as if these dragons are continuing to push into the Five Realms."
"Yes, we came to the same conclusion."
Jeremiah wrote:"We believe this may be due to outside intervention and not necessarily something that the dragons themselves are plotting. Regardless we're here to both help and learn what we can."
"Outside intervention? What do you mean, exactly? How could anyone compel dragons to do anything?"
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

https://arcaneasylum.rpg-board.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 am

"We have recently discovered that there are powerful and mysterious artifacts that might give someone immense power over the dragons. So if a person managed to find one of those artifacts and was operating from within the valley, surrounded by dragons, it might be difficult to detect their presence."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Elodie wrote:"We have recently discovered that there are powerful and mysterious artifacts that might give someone immense power over the dragons. So if a person managed to find one of those artifacts and was operating from within the valley, surrounded by dragons, it might be difficult to detect their presence."
"Powerful and mysterious artifacts?! That explains a lot. We sure are glad you four have come to fix the problem, then. What can we do? Do you need supplies? Directions? A place to sleep? Just tell me what you need."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:29 pm

"Well, for the time being we could use a base of operations while we scout the area, maybe even a small squad of men. Have you been successful in gathering any kind of intelligence, perhaps noticed any patterns?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Well, for the time being we could use a base of operations while we scout the area, maybe even a small squad of men. Have you been successful in gathering any kind of intelligence, perhaps noticed any patterns?"
"Of course. You can base your operations here and I'll lend you my best men. Patterns? Not for many months, now. Late last year, we noticed more and more giants leaving the valley, but their numbers decreased suddenly after you felled the Mighty Jarigor. Since then, we have been seeing dragons over the horizon. We followed some of the smaller ones to their lairs, but the rest must be too high or too deep into the mountains for us to reach them ... but we'll show you what we did find."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:20 pm

"Maybe we won't even need the squadron. I think I'll be able to do some scouting on my own, with a spell that will allow me to hop from tree to tree in the valley. In fact, if no one's opposed to the idea, I'll go ahead and prepare to do that now."

If no one opposes, once Elodie gets the chance, she will investigate the immediate surroundings of the keep and attempt to determine what kind of tree is most common around the keep. Once she has determined this, she will prepare to merge her body with the surrounding trees.

Knowledge: Nature +17

Cast Tree Stride. Once she is inside a tree, Elodie wants to hop through the valley and attempt to get a feel for what's in the valley.

Perception +26
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:09 pm

GM Edit: Move this post down to where it makes more sense, chronologically.

Last edited by Malazek on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:11 pm

Dungeon Master wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:"Well, for the time being we could use a base of operations while we scout the area, maybe even a small squad of men. Have you been successful in gathering any kind of intelligence, perhaps noticed any patterns?"
"Of course. You can base your operations here and I'll lend you my best men. Patterns? Not for many months, now. Late last year, we noticed more and more giants leaving the valley, but their numbers decreased suddenly after you felled the Mighty Jarigor. Since then, we have been seeing dragons over the horizon. We followed some of the smaller ones to their lairs, but the rest must be too high or too deep into the mountains for us to reach them ... but we'll show you what we did find."
After Elodie leaves, Jarl Ulfstadson tells Jeremiah, "I'll have the men prepare to leave, just in case. I'll send my best trackers with you."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 am

Elodie wrote:"Maybe we won't even need the squadron. I think I'll be able to do some scouting on my own, with a spell that will allow me to hop from tree to tree in the valley. In fact, if no one's opposed to the idea, I'll go ahead and prepare to do that now."

"That's an excellent idea Elodie, in fact I will do that as well. We can go in different directions and cover more of the area."

Cast: Tree Stride
Stealth: +21
Perception: +22 (+26 Dragons)
Geography: +16

Jarl wrote:"I'll have the men prepare to leave, just in case. I'll send my best trackers with you."

Looking to Gumph...

"Go ahead and get everyone prepared in case we need to head out quickly."
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Looking to Gumph... "Go ahead and get everyone prepared in case we need to head out quickly."
"Will do," Gumphrey says.
Elodie wrote:she will investigate the immediate surroundings of the keep and attempt to determine what kind of tree is most common around the keep. Once she has determined this, she will prepare to merge her body with the surrounding trees.

Knowledge: Nature +17
Cast Tree Stride. Once she is inside a tree, Elodie wants to hop through the valley and attempt to get a feel for what's in the valley.
Perception +26
Elodie quickly determines that ash trees are most common around the Keep and probably quite common along the hilly sides of the valley, as well. After casting the spell, she steps "inside" one of the ash trees and immediately transports herself to another four-and-a-half furlongs away. From there, she transports to another tree, and then another, and then another ... until she finds herself deep in the valley, with a river to her left and the mountains to her right.

On the horizon, she sees a draconian silhouette flying close to the peaks ... but, in her peripheral vision, she spots another: a large red dragon, feasting on a pile of burnt moose. It seems oblivious to her presence within the tree.
Jeremiah wrote:"That's an excellent idea Elodie, in fact I will do that as well. We can go in different directions and cover more of the area."

Cast: Tree Stride
Stealth: +21
Perception: +22 (+26 Dragons)
Geography: +16
Jeremiah, too, steps into a nearby ash and transports to another tree some distance away. From there, he transports to another and another ... until he finds himself miles away, with a river on his right and the mountains on his left. Still inside one of the mighty ashes, Jeremiah comes to a battle between a dragon and a giant. Two more giants are laying dead on the ground, not too far from the fight. Before Jeremiah can react, however, the red wyrm catches the last of the giants between its powerful jaws, crushing the life out of him.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Once Jeremiah feels he has finished scouting his area, he will return back to the outpost to discuss his findings with Elodie and the others.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 pm

OOC: Does Elodie see any buildings or caves that look like they might be inhabited?

Once she is done scouting, she will head back to the keep to meet up with Jeremiah and the others. "So...I saw a lot of dragons. You?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 pm

"I seen a dragon fighting with giants. Jarl, do you have a map of the surrounding area?"

If so, Jeremiah will mark the location he seen the fight at.
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Once Jeremiah feels he has finished scouting his area ...
Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor, Jeremiah does not fight the dragon by himself. Instead, he moves to the next tree and the next, in order to finish scouting the area. Near the limits of his range, he spots the silhouettes of two dragons fly over the mountains in the distance. Realizing that he's already as far as he can go, if he wants to return afterwards, he heads back to the keep.
Elodie wrote:OOC: Does Elodie see any buildings or caves that look like they might be inhabited?
Once she is done scouting ...
Elodie scans the area, looking for any sort of dwelling. She does not see any structures, but does notice a large cave-like opening high on the mountain face. Judging by the angle of the opening, she discerns that the dragon must fly in and out of the cave; the slope is just too severe to walk through.

After a good look, she moves deeper in the valley, jumping from tree to tree, moving as far as she can while leaving enough time with which to return. Deep, deep into the valley she finds a giant citadel, much too large to have been used by humans. As she watches, the largest dragon she ever saw flies overhead and perches upon one of the embattled towers. The dragon surveys the surrounding area before diving behind the castle walls.

Realizing she has reached her limits, Elodie heads back to the Danmarian keep.
Jeremiah wrote:... he will return back to the outpost to discuss his findings with Elodie and the others. "Jarl, do you have a map of the surrounding area?"
Elodie wrote:... she will head back to the keep to meet up with Jeremiah and the others. "So...I saw a lot of dragons. You?"
Jeremiah wrote:"I seen a dragon fighting with giants."
Jeremiah returns several hours before Elodie does. By the time the druid returns, the Jarl has provided a detailed map and Jeremiah has already marked where and what he saw.

Gumphrey comments, "Elodie, you should mark down what you saw, too. Perhaps would should strike these smaller dragons, first? Their treasure hoards might contains something we can use against the larger ones."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 pm

"Well, if these dragons are being compelled to be here by an unseen force, maybe we shouldn't run in and start slaughtering. But then again, I didn't see any evidence of where this 'unseen force' might be living. I did see a citadel that looks as though much larger creatures could live there, but this is Jotun Valley, after all."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:16 am

"Jarl, can you mark the map where you and your men have seen dragons and/or giants?"

Jeremiah would like to look at the map and see if he can deduce anything.

Geography: [Base = +16] (Dragon Bonus +4, Giant Bonus +6, Favored Terrain +4) = [Bonus Total + 30]
Perception: [Base = +22] (Dragon Bonus +4, Giant Bonus +6, Favored Terrain +4) = [Bonus Total + 36]

OOC: I'm not sure all what bonus I would get in this roll, so I threw everything I could. Deduct as you feel necessary...
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Jarl, can you mark the map where you and your men have seen dragons and/or giants?"
Jeremiah would like to look at the map and see if he can deduce anything.

Geography: +24 and +26
Perception: +30 and +32
"Yes," says the Jarl. "These red marks, here and here, that's where my scouts saw the dragons."

Looking at the Jarl's marks, as well as those made my himself and Elodie, Jeremiah studies the layout of the valley and considers what he knows of both dragons and giants. Given the shape of the surrounding mountains, Jeremiah suspects that the dragons around the perimeter (that is, the distant silhouettes and the dragons closest to the keep) could serve as the "eyes and ears" of whoever is compelling them. If that is true, then the citadel that Elodie could serve as a central headquarters ... which is probably why giants would have built in there in the first place. Jeremiah also realizes that anything alive in the castle would have be very powerful to first drive out giants and then survive cohabitation with a dragon of that size.

On a side note, Gumphrey's supposition is probably correct. Dragons love to hoard treasure and would do so as soon as they were able, especially if forced to relocate their lairs.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Elodie turns to the Jarl. "Have the dragons attacked your men?"
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Elodie wrote:Elodie turns to the Jarl. "Have the dragons attacked your men?"
"Nope."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:22 pm

"Maybe your on to something Gumphrey, if we start with the smaller ones we could gain experience and loot to help fight the larger ones. From what I've read negotiating and reasoning with the dragons will be close to impossible, especially if they are under control. Miph, whats your thoughts on all this?"
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"From what I've read negotiating and reasoning with the dragons will be close to impossible, especially if they are under control. Miph, whats your thoughts on all this?"
"Hmm," Miphelgara starts. "If they have been mind controlled, then there's no telling how an attempt to negotiate would be received. I wouldn't expect it to go very well, though. I don't object to killing red dragons, or any chromatic dragons, for that matter ... but if we find any metallic dragons, then I think we should do everything in our power to free them from the mind control. Metallic dragons are inherently good creatures and would make very powerful allies."

Miphelgara continues. "Also, I agree that honing our skills in battle against some of the weaker dragons is a wise plan, especially if it happens to yield any powerful relics that could aid us in our quest. Ancient Wyrms are not to be taken lightly, so we could use all the help we can get. I am a bit worried, though, that my own combat prowess is not as formidable as yours. If am to fall in battle, do not risk your own lives trying to save mine. This quest is far more important than my meager existence."

"Understood," Gumphrey replies. "I wouldn't worry about it, anyway. Elodie can bring you back from the dead ... and it sounds like Talmut can even turn you back to your true form, like he did for Gervas?"

Talmut clarifies. "Only at great cost."
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 pm

"Well, I suppose if they are evil, clearing a few of these dragons out would not be such a bad idea. So...shall we start nearby, or attempt to travel so that we are closer to the citadel? Having never faced a fully-grown, evil dragon before, it might be a good idea to get a bit of practice under our belts before we travel far into dragon territory."
Glitz
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:45 am

Looking over the map, Jeremiah will look for a good place to set an ambush. Perhaps a spot on the perimeter where some of the smaller dragons have been seen. If they can set an ambush they can perhaps try and control the battle a little better for their first encounter with a dragon.

Geography: [Base = +16] (Dragon Bonus +4, Favored Terrain +4) = [Bonus Total + 24]
Perception: [Base = +22] (Dragon Bonus +4,  Favored Terrain +4) = [Bonus Total + 30]
Alpha Omega
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:00 pm

Elodie wrote:"Well, I suppose if they are evil, clearing a few of these dragons out would not be such a bad idea. So...shall we start nearby, or attempt to travel so that we are closer to the citadel? Having never faced a fully-grown, evil dragon before, it might be a good idea to get a bit of practice under our belts before we travel far into dragon territory."
Jeremiah wrote:Looking over the map, Jeremiah will look for a good place to set an ambush. Perhaps a spot on the perimeter where some of the smaller dragons have been seen. If they can set an ambush they can perhaps try and control the battle a little better for their first encounter with a dragon.
Studying the map, Jeremiah finds dozens of spots that offer plenty of cover and places to hide ... the trick, however, is predicting where the dragons will go. Typically, dragons hunt by flight, watching the ground for viable prey. So, you could perhaps lure the dragon into an ambush, using some kind of bait. Regardless of where the fight takes place, keeping the dragon on the ground will be imperative. (That is exactly why so many would-be dragon hunters fight dragons in their lairs,which nearly always proves to be a lethal mistake. Dragons are all too familiar with their own homes). The location of several giant caves are also on the map, though it's unlikely that any giants are still living there. If you could only lure a dragon into an unfamiliar cave, you would have the best of both options.
Malazek
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next