Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Page 4 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #6 - The Lion of Vilderoy

Post  Malazek on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 am

Elodie wrote:Elodie heads to the bar to find a seat. "Hi, can I have a glass of sparkling mead and the rump-steak with mushrooms? And what can you tell me about the 'special nectar'?"
The bartender talks while filling a goblet. "The Special Nectar contains curative agents. Feeling a little under the weather? Meg's Special Nectar is good for what ails ya." She sets the goblet down in front of Elodie and says she'll be right back. She steps into the backroom for a moment and returns with plate of food. "Let me know when you're ready for another drink."

Both the rump-steak and mushrooms are seasoned and cooked beautifully, with hints of garlic and onion. Elodie detects a note of honey-glaze on the steak, as well. The meals compliments the mead quite well. 
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will inquire about a room and bath from the barman as well as some hearty stew. As he eats he will grab the attention of one of the barmaids... "Excuse me, how does one go about arranging a meeting with the Duke? Does he have a Chancellor or sovereign prince that arranges all of his meetings?"

If the barmaid is clueless he will ask her if she can point him in the proper direction at least. Then after eating Jeremiah will take a bath and change into his new fancy clothes and prepare to go try and see the duke.

He will leave 5gp on the counter
The barman brings returns with a bowl of Heart Stew, which proves to contain chunks of meat, a few carrots and onions, and generous portions of potatoes. The gravy is thick and smooth. It's very tasty and quite filling. He also sets an iron room-key on the table in front of Jeremiah and says "Just let me know when you're ready for that bathwater and I'll have someone bring it up. You're in room 5B."

Gumphrey grabs a seat a next to Jeremiah and sits down with with his own meal and mead. 

When Jeremiah calls over one of the serving wenches, and asks her about the Duke, she says "What? The Kaiser? Well, you ... you can't just go meet him. You might be able to meet with the Chancellor, though. His office is just across the street from the palace gate."

Before Jeremiah can finish his meal or go to his room, he notices a man enter the tavern wearing a silk tabard. Emblazoned on the front and back is the image of a hawk. The man marches right over to the table hands Gumphrey a scroll case. He then flatly states "Duke Aric von Eldridge formally requests the presence of the Band of Four, at the palace for dinner, early this evening." The wench's jaw drops. The herald turns on his heel and marches right back outside. 
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:02 am

Looking at Gumphrey....

"That was easier than expected..."

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Looking at Gumphrey.... "That was easier than expected..."
"Yeah," Gumphrey replies, "a lot easier."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Talmut nods in agreement and then heads to his room to take a bath and get ready.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:54 pm

After listening to the messenger's brief instructions, Elodie says to the bartender, "This meal is delicious...and it looks like I'll need a room to freshen up in, now that we've been formally invited to dinner. Does the Duke have people watching the whole city? Does he take note of everyone that comes to Meg's?"
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Glitz wrote:After listening to the messenger's brief instructions, Elodie says to the bartender, "This meal is delicious...and it looks like I'll need a room to freshen up in, now that we've been formally invited to dinner. Does the Duke have people watching the whole city? Does he take note of everyone that comes to Meg's?"
The bartender retrieves a room key for Elodie, while answering. "The Kaiser sees all," she says, with a smile.

A little while later, the heroes are reunited in the common room.

- OOC: Any errands to run before hand? Or is everyone ready to proceed to the Duke's palace? 
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 pm

After the bartender's curious answer, and before she heads to her room to change, Elodie attempts to discern if the "Kaiser" is using magical means to monitor the goings-on of the meadery.

Cast Detect Magic.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 pm

As Elodie speaks the words of power and weaves the ancient hand signs, the bartender stops what's she doing and eyes the druid disapprovingly. When the casting is complete, however, she goes backs to wiping the bar.

Elodie's senses come alive with magical sight, brought to her by the spirits of nature. She doesn't see anything that could prove the Duke is watching Meg's, but she doesn't see anything to rule it out, either. What she does see, however, is a little surprising. At least eight of Meg's customers are carrying minor magic items.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Elodie eyes the bartender. "Sorry about that. People around here like their magical trinkets?"
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:59 pm

"Well, those who can afford it. They are handy, after all, aren't they?"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 pm

Elodie nods. "Indeed. Well, thank you for the meal, the mead, and the information." She then goes to change, and is ready to depart when the rest of the group is ready.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:30 am

OOC: Jeremiah took a bath and changed after he ate so he should be ready as well. I subtracted the gold I left on the counter as well.

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:08 pm

When the party finishes getting ready, they reunite in the common room. Once assembled, they leave Meg's and look for the duke's palace.

Sturmgard is massive and the streets are crowded. It takes you longer to reach the palace than anticipated, but you have no trouble finding it. Fortunately, the duke's palace is the tallest building in Sturmgard, so you can see it from almost anywhere in the city.

The palace grounds are surrounded by stout iron fences between intervals of stone pillars. On the top of each pillar is a iron hawk. Sometimes, you think the hawks are looking at you. The gate leading into the grounds is housed by a small stone gatehouse, but the heavy palisade is left open. A single guard stands watch.

When he hears who you are, he tells you to go right in. "Wilfred, the Chamberlain, will see you inside." 

As you traverse the cobblestone road that connects the gatehouse to the palace proper, you see that the lawn is luscious and well-kept, but bereft of fountains or other decor. Heavy stone blocks make up the the walls of the a palace, giving it a dark and drab appearance, despite the other wondrous elements of its construction. The main tower is so tall, that it's difficult to tell how many stories it really is. Even the five smaller towers are much taller than any building in Umbrafall. Every corner of the palace supports more of the copper rods you saw when you first arrived in the city.

As you reach the main doors, they slowly swing open and a venerable old man steps out to greet you. Before the doors were fully opened, you had just enough time to notice the intricate engraving on their iron faces. "Welcome, Officers of Umbrafall," the old man says. "Let me show you to the dining hall." As he walks, he talks. "My name is Wilfred. I am Chief Seneschal and Chamberlain to the Duke. Lord Eldridge is anxious to meet you. He says you show great promise."

The old man walks you through the spacious great hall to a polished marble stair case, up the stairs to a smaller hall decorated with murals, tapestries, and fine rugs. Down the hall, he leads you to another staircase, which leads up to a private dining room. As you follow the old man, you notice that there's nobody else here (or almost nobody, at least); no courtiers, no officers of the court, no family members. If there are other servants, they have been told to stay out of sight.

The private dining room is small compared to the great halls that led you here, but it is still quite large. A broad hearth keeps the room warm and a crystal chandelier overhead keeps it well lit. The rug underfoot is vibrantly colorful and decorated with intricate embroidery (come to think of it, the "embroidery" is actually a series of arcane sigils). Carved from a single slab of polished stone, the dining table fills most of the room; the legs are carved to look like raptor talons. Atop the mantle, you see a collection of heavy tomes. The surrounding walls are decorated with hunting trophies, but not with the heads of deer or elk, but with the heads of creatures for which you have no name.

"Lord Eldridge will be along shortly. In the meantime, may I get you an aperitif or an appetizer? Perhaps some dry gin, accompanied by aged cheeses?"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:11 pm

"Thank you, Wilfred. That would be delicious," Elodie accepts his offer of gin and cheese. After he leaves, she turns to study the beasts on the wall. "Where do you think these creatures are from?" she wonders aloud as she inspects them, not sure if anyone else is as interested in the creatures as she is.

OOC: Do any of the creatures share any similarities with creatures that Elodie is familiar with?

Knowledge (Nature) +15

After studying the trophies, she will stand and wait for the arrival of the Duke, if no one else calls her attention to anything else.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:42 pm

Jeremiah will walk over to Elodie while they wait. He will speculate on the possible names of the creatures by there physical appearances.

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 pm

"Thank you, that sounds good.", Talmut replies to the Chamberlain.  While waiting, the conjurer inspects the room with the others, paying special mind to the arcane runes on the carpet.  Any special significance?  What do they mean?
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Elodie wrote:"Thank you, Wilfred. That would be delicious," Elodie accepts his offer of gin and cheese. 
Talmut wrote:"Thank you, that sounds good.", Talmut replies to the Chamberlain.
The Chamberlain nods and claps his hands together. In response, a young servant boy enters the room, bearing a tray loaded with stinky cheeses. Five glasses and an unmarked bottle sit nested between the cheeses. The boy sets the tray down and makes a hasty exit. That is the first real servant you have seen in the palace.
Elodie wrote:she turns to study the beasts on the wall. "Where do you think these creatures are from?" she wonders aloud as she inspects them, not sure if anyone else is as interested in the creatures as she is.
OOC: Do any of the creatures share any similarities with creatures that Elodie is familiar with?
Knowledge (Nature) +15 
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will walk over to Elodie while they wait. He will speculate on the possible names of the creatures by there physical appearances.
Any resemblance between these things and mundane animals is superficial at best. They are truly alien to this world and Elodie is convinced they are unnatural. There is some resemblance, Jeremiah notices, between these creatures and some of the aberrations he has heard of (cloakers, ettercaps, froghemeths, mimics, rust monsters) ... but these monsters are truly abhorrent.
Talmut wrote:While waiting, the conjurer inspects the room with the others, paying special mind to the arcane runes on the carpet.  Any special significance?  What do they mean?
Talmut recognizes the symbols as a magical  trap. Specifically, a magical disjunction trap. He's not sure what would trigger the effect (considering half the party has stepped on them already), but he's fairly certain that it will dispel magical effects and destroy magic items. It's a very powerful effect. It might even be enough to collapse an anti-magic field.

Since the carpet appears to be very old, Talmut doubts it was left here for the party and suspects that the trigger might be a command word (especially since a spell of this caliber could easily ignore magicks that were in the possession of the caster).
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

A little while later, the Chamberlain excuses himself. "The Duke will be along shortly. If there's nothing else I can do for you, then I will be on my way."

A few minutes later, the door opens and another man enters. The new arrival is almost seven feet tall and thin as a rail, with sharp angular features and a pronounced widow's peak. Dressed in layered robes of elegant blue and black fabric, he moves effortlessly into the room, seeming to almost glide across the floor. The dark color of his robes contrasts with the blondness of his hair, while the vibrant blue hem brings out the stunning color of his eyes.

"Greetings," he says, in a deep and commanding voice. "I am Aric von Eldridge IV, Duke of Daxony, Scion of Odo the Fair. I thank you for joining me. It would please me to hear more of your victory against the mighty Jarigor. The Vicereine speaks only praise, boasting of your cunning and bravery. Please, if there is anything I can do to make your stay in Sturmgard more comfortable, let me know."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:44 pm

OOC: Does Elodie feel that the Duke is genuinely interested in her heroic tales, or does she sense something more than curiosity? 

Sense Motive +16
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Elodie wrote:OOC: Does Elodie feel that the Duke is genuinely interested in her heroic tales, or does she sense something more than curiosity? 
- Sense Motive +16
Elodie suspects that the Duke is not all that interested in stories and only asked to be polite. She suspects that he does want information of some sort, but she doubts it has anything to do with defeated giants.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Elodie curtsies and says, "It is an honor to meet you, Lord Eldridge. I am Elodie, Warden of the Timberwyld.  We are pleased to accompany you for dinner. We defeated Jarigor with teamwork and good training, something that I am sure you are familiar with in Sturmgard. Why don't you tell us more about your beautiful city? It is so different from Umbrafall, and also from the lands of Kelbany, where I grew up."
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Still half intrigued by the beasts on the wall..

"I am Captain Jeremiah Laqueus, also known as the Giant Slayer... but I'm sure you knew that. I hear you are a powerful sorcerer, it would have been thrilling to fight along side you against the pillaging giants. Although I carved a path right through them, it would have been hard for you to find one not already in the prone position."

Finally turning his attention towards the kick arse duke...

"This is a lovely estate you have and I appreciate the invitation for dinner, I'm sure it will be quite the feast. May I inquire on how you knew we were in town only minutes after we arrived, or even better that we were at Meg's?"

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 am

Elodie wrote:Elodie curtsies and says, "... Why don't you tell us more about your beautiful city? It is so different from Umbrafall, and also from the lands of Kelbany, where I grew up."
"Ah, certainly. As I'm sure you know, Sturmgard was once a simple storm shelter. Built in an empty field, it became a haven for farmers living in the surrounding hills. Eventually, someone set-up shop near the shelter and others followed. Over time, it grew to the great and noble city that it is now. During the time of the Five Kings, my ancestor, Odo II called the city home."

"Even then, he realized that strict laws and order were necessary. With so many tribes and factions gathered in one place, a strong leader was needed to prevent chaos and tragedy. He gathered an army and brought peace to Sturmgard. Today, we carry on that tradition, here in Sturmgard. Citizens respect the law, because the law is carried out impartially and without bias. As a result, we see significantly less crime than other cities in the Realms do."

"The resultant peace has allowed the flourishing of arts and learning. We have the finest colleges and libraries; the greatest wealth of information available to commoners, anywhere in the kingdom." 
Jeremiah wrote:"... May I inquire on how you knew we were in town only minutes after we arrived, or even better that we were at Meg's?"
"I employed simple scrying techniques to divine your whereabouts."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

Kick Arse Duke wrote:"I employed simple scrying techniques to divine your whereabouts."

"Ahh...My next questions then are why are you scrying on us and how long have you been doing so? Sorry, I am quite inquisitive by nature so if these questions make you feel uncomfortable just let me know..."

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

Elodie takes a few steps away from Jeremiah, under the guise of inspecting some of the decor on the other side of the room. As she steps, she says, "Do you handle the scrying yourself? Or do you employ guards to handle it? The magical power that would be required to observe the entire city at once..."
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 31 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 31  Next