Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Swifthand wrote:Gonna be eating mutton tonight!
OOC: ...

Oh, do you know the mutton man,
the mutton man, the mutton man,
do you know the mutton man,
we ate him.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Thu May 08, 2014 6:51 pm

"Attack the goatman, my friends, he is your enemy!"

Move - Dive 45' toward the goatman
Standard - Acid Dart
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Thu May 08, 2014 7:05 pm

Talmut & Crew ...

Round 2 (Continued) ...

Init 16 (Continued)
Drooping from the sky, Talmut summons another acid bolt and sends it toward the enemy.

- Talmut's Attack Roll = 20 (Hit); 9 Damage

Init 12 & 8
Gumphrey and Lindy struggle to their feet. Frantically, Lindy searches the campsite for her armor and weapon, but most importantly for the rest of her clothes. Unlike his more modest companion, Gumphrey grabs a log from the fire and prepares for battle.

Glory continues to dance.

Init 6
The Satyr flees, running down the hillside as fast as his bestial legs will carry him (which isn't slow) ...

Round 3 ...

Init 16
... half-way down the hill, however, he falls prone and begins screaming. His final breath is a cry of agony, as the acid finally eats through his skin and begins to devour his internal organs.

- The ongoing acid deals another 12 damage, killing the creature.

OOC: End Combat


After a long moment, Gumphrey finally says .... actually, Talmut can't hear it, but he sees Gumphrey lips move.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Thu May 08, 2014 7:17 pm

"Son's - please retrieve me the pipes."


Holding a finger up and smiling, Talmut digs the wax out of his ears, but not before putting his cloak over Glory's shoulders and giving her a shake.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu May 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Jeremiah will draw his axes and charge the giant in X10.


GS Axe: 10 + 22 = 32 | DMG: 24

In Jotun...
"I will fillet you with my axes to feed my dogs of war giant scum!"

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Swifthand wrote:"Son's - please retrieve me the pipes."

Holding a finger up and smiling, Talmut digs the wax out of his ears, but not before putting his cloak over Glory's shoulders and giving her a shake.
In a daze, Glory finally comes to her senses. A little embarrassed, she gives Talmut a bashful smile and then starts to look for her clothes. By now, Lindy has found her gear, but takes a moment to help Glory find hers. Hidden behind his beard Gumphrey, doesn't yet bother to finds the rest of his gear, but instead stands there nodding at Talmut (subtly watching the girls from the corner of his eye).

The celestial eagles quickly retrieve the pipes and bring them to the conjurer.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 pm

"Thank you, Sons.  Fair winds on your journey home."

While the others gather themselves, Talmut will fill them in on what was happening and check the goatman's body.

"It seems the cretin had not made it's way to you two yet.  I trust you are alright, Lady Glory?  Make ready to depart, my friends.  Everyone, hold hands, in a circle."

Cast Teleport, destination, the Arx summoning room, where I departed from.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Thu May 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Talmut wrote:Talmut will check the goatman's body.
Aside from the a leather satchel strung over his shoulder, the dead "goatman" is basically naked. Inside the satchel, however, Talmut finds two crystal decanters filled with an unknown elixir, as well as a handful of gems: four spinels of assorted color (red, red-brown, deep-green, and deep-blue) ... the last is worth about 500 gold, but the others are worth only about 100 a piece.

As Talmut searches the body, the others finish strapping on their armor and searching the campsite. They find that the Saytr had a spear and a dagger, as well as some basic travel gear (an iron-pot, a rope, a tinder-box, and a small knife). Lindy gladly takes the spear and adds it to her kit; Glory does the same with the dagger. (OOC: Assuming no objections).
Talmut wrote:"It seems the cretin had not made its way to you two yet.  I trust you are alright, Lady Glory?"
The three of them exchange quiet glances. After a long pause, Glory answers "Yeah, yeah. I'm alright. Thank you, Talmut, for saving me ... us ... for saving us."
Talmut wrote:"Make ready to depart, my friends.  Everyone, hold hands, in a circle."
Cast Teleport, destination, the Arx summoning room, where I departed from.
Teleport Roll = 89 (On Target)

And like that, they are back at the Arx.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz on Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 am

Realizing that two of the giants are attempting to seek cover, Elodie directs a small ball of fire over the ledge of the cliff. It detonates in a blast in the direction that the giants moved in.

Cast Fireball over the ledge of the cliff. 
Damage: 36
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Fri May 09, 2014 4:47 pm

"Watch your step, that mirror is an expensive one!"

Talmut fills the others in on the imminent arrival of the Captain and troops.

"If you are all ready to resume your duties, I am sure Flint could use some assistance on the walls and in the keep in preparation of the Captain's arrival." 
At that, the wizard sheepishly adds, "I may have overstepped my commission when Mittens and I erected this stronghold.  A good showing upon the Captain's arrival, followed by a good meal may help with first impressions...any ideas?"

Once alone, Talmut readies himself and the mirror for his next Scrying attempt: Jeremiah.

Cast Scry.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Fri May 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Elodie & Jeremiah ...

Round 3 ...

Init 20
Squad two fires another volley onto the ledge, hoping to hit the hidden giants.

- First Volley, Attack Roll = 17 (Miss)
- Second Volley, Attack Roll = 26 (Hit); Miss Chance = 77 (Hit); Damage = 7 Damage to T6
- Eggler, Attack Roll = 15 (Miss)
- Kerner, Attack Roll = 8 (Miss)

Init 18
Jeremiah charges into the fray, threatening his hated foe and racing to Halvar's side. At the end of his rush, he buries the magical axe into the giant's loins! The giant scout cries out in fear and pain, as he senses his death approaching.

- OOC: Get it? Jeremiah threatened to fillet him and then cut him in the loin? get it?

Init 13
Calling upon the fire spirits, Elodie lobs a ball of fire upon the ledge ... and then it explodes, sending burning chunks of giant flesh soaring in every direction. Flaming pieces of mayhem rain down all around Jeremiah and Halvar as they finish their assault upon the giant.

Bloodied and beaten, the giant falls to his knees and begs to surrender ...

... but Halvar buries his battle-axe in the giant's skull, ending the conflict.

- Halvar's Attack Roll = 30 (Hit); Damage = 11 Damage

END COMBAT


Halvar shouts, "Oh, YEAH! We completely trounced those giants! I heard you two were good, but Odin's beard, I had no idea you were THAT good! Let's find more giants to kill!"

Meanwhile, the troops begin to re-form their marching lines, waiting for direction from their commanding officer.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Fri May 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Talmut wrote:"If you are all ready to resume your duties, I am sure Flint could use some assistance on the walls and in the keep in preparation of the Captain's arrival."  At that, the wizard sheepishly adds, "I may have overstepped my commission when Mittens and I erected this stronghold.  A good showing upon the Captain's arrival, followed by a good meal may help with first impressions...any ideas?
Flint suggests, "Maybe we could pick-out a few good books for her to read?"
"We could play a few games?" Glory suggests, "Dice or cards, maybe?"
Talmut wrote:Once alone, Talmut readies himself and the mirror for his next Scrying attempt: Jeremiah.
Cast Scry.
OOC: Before you cast scry, you are right around the same "time-frame" as they are ... but since Scry takes an hour, they are not to that point, yet. So, I can't tell you what you see, yet (because I don't know what will happen).
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Fri May 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Malazek wrote:Flint suggests, "Maybe we could pick-out a few good books for her to read?"
"We could play a few games?" Glory suggests, "Dice or cards, maybe?"

Talmut frowns.  "Perhaps just the wall, then?"


"Wait...I have a better idea.  Could you set up a comfortable room for the  Captain in the Ziggurat, and a conference room on the same floor?"  Then work out a watch - and, please alert me when we see the Captain's forward scouts."
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz on Fri May 09, 2014 6:25 pm

Elodie steps out from behind the tree and laughs at Halvar's enthusiasm. "Don't worry, I'm sure there are more giants nearby. In fact, the sound of that horn was worrisome. What if they were calling for reinforcements?" As she is speaking, she shakes off any chunks of giant flesh that may have landed on her, and then trades the wand in her hand for the one in her holster. She taps herself on the wrist.

Use Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds, cures 3d8 +7.


OOC: Mal, will you roll for me? I'm stuck at my sister's graduation ceremony. 

GM Edit: 21
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Jeremiah will rally the troops back into marching orders and get them ready to move out back to the ziggeraut. 

"Elodie, lets quickly search these scouts and the area for clues on their purpose."

Perception +16
FE = +4 | FT = +4

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz on Fri May 09, 2014 7:15 pm

Elodie will help Jeremiah search the area.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 am

Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will rally the troops back into marching orders and get them ready to move out back to the ziggurat. 
"Elodie, lets quickly search these scouts and the area for clues on their purpose."
Elodie wrote:Elodie will help Jeremiah search the area.
Quickly, Jeremiah and Elodie search the area, with particular attention paid to the bodies (both giant and otherwise). Meanwhile,  the troops regather themselves and begin the march home. On the human scouts, the duo finds what what one might expect: standard-issue arms-and-armor, as well some survival gear, some assorted coins (39 copper, 14 silver, 3 gold), and a giant bell tethered to a boulder. On the giants, however, they find slightly more.

As Jeremiah knows, giants have a penchant for stuffing unusual items into their sacks. Most of the time, it's just odds and ends the giant has picked up along the way, but every once in awhile something truly unusual is stuffed in there. In addition to the giants over-sized weapons and armor, the heroes finds a half-decomposed goat carcass, twenty-five human skulls, half-a-dozen large rocks, a massive horn rimmed on both ends with silver (worth about 350 gold), a giant-sized hand-drawn map of the Umbrafall valley, and a human-sized shield. Crafted from Daxon Steel, the shield is of the highest quality, with runes etched along the perimeter and the image of a crenelated tower painted on its face.

After the search is done, they lead the troops back home.
Talmut wrote:Once alone, Talmut readies himself and the mirror for his next Scrying attempt: Jeremiah.
Cast Scry.
Talmut "sees" Jeremiah leading the troops away from the mountain and toward the Arx Ziggurat.
Talmut wrote:"Could you set up a comfortable room for the Captain in the Ziggurat, and a conference room on the same floor?"  Then work out a watch - and, please alert me when we see the Captain's forward scouts."
The assistants immediately set themselves to the task.


Everyone is reunited at the Arx, before lunch-time.





OOC: I will be working on a new map of your stronghold today. I should have it up later today.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Sat May 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Oooo...A Giant map for our conference room wall!  Is it nice?


"Welcome back!  What news from your trek?"    

Talmut will show Elodie, Jeremiah, and Gumphrey the letter sent by the Lord Colton and fill them in to what happened while they were gone, showing them the conference room while we talk.

"I suggest you quarter your troops in the barracks before the Captain shows up with hers, Jeremiah.  No need for her troops to get too comfortable...."
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat May 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Jeremiah will present the shield he found on the giants corpses to Talmut for inspection, then put the rest of the loots in the ziggurat's armory. He will then tell his troops to keep alert, manning all stations and prepare for retaliation from giants.

"Talmut, we couldn't kill all the giants before they, possibly, alerted others with this horn. I expect they will follow our tracks back to this ziggerat so we should prepare accordingly."


Last edited by Alpha Omega on Sat May 10, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Glitz on Sat May 10, 2014 2:22 pm

"Let's take a look at that map, too. Maybe we can figure out which direction they'll be coming from, or glean some other useful information from it--that way we'll have more information to give the Captain when she shows up." Elodie will show the map to Talmut, and then carefully smooth it out on the conference room table.

Perception +18
Knowledge (Geography) +&

After looking at the map and discussing her observations with Talmut, Jeremiah, and Gumphrey, she will look for Lindy. "What did you find when you followed the tracks?"
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat May 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Elodie wrote: Maybe we can figure out which direction they'll be coming from, or glean some other useful information from it

Jeremiah will aid Elodie in gleaning information...

Perception +24
Knowledge (Geography) +16

Added +4 from both favored terrain / favored enemy. I think I can share the favored enemy bonus (+4 / 2 = +2) with Elodie and Talmut while we strategize.

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Sat May 10, 2014 3:29 pm

"Hmm...all you two encountered were frost giants, and, from your description, Elodie certainly proved their vulnerability to fire.  Perhaps burning pitch in the motte, with fire traps in the killing field beyond? We could outfit all the bowmen with flaming arrows..."

Roll to help inspect the map - 16 on the die, I don't have Knowledge: Geography - is there another applicable skill?

"I will have to wait until tomorrow to inspect this shield, I do not have the proper spell memorized."


GM Edit: OOC: Knowledge Geography, Knowledge: Umbrafall, Survival, Profession: Cartography.


Last edited by Swifthand on Sat May 10, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat May 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Talmut wrote:Perhaps burning pitch in the motte, with fire traps in the killing field beyond? We could outfit all the bowmen with flaming arrows..."

"What an excellent idea. Halvar grab a couple of the men and get to work on utilizing Talmut's idea."

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Sat May 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:
Talmut wrote:Perhaps burning pitch in the motte, with fire traps in the killing field beyond? We could outfit all the bowmen with flaming arrows..."
"What an excellent idea. Halvar grab a couple of the men and get to work on utilizing Talmut's idea."
OOC: Just to clarify, a "motte" is a raised earthwork ... not a moat. I assume you mean to add burning pitch to the moat, not the motte.

Halvar replies, "Yes! I shall! From where should I get the pitch? Should we chop down some pine and haul the lumber here to be distilled? Or would you like us to ride to the city and just buy some?"
Elodie wrote:she will look for Lindy. "What did you find when you followed the tracks?"
"Well, we found a goat-man. A savage fellow with a talent for music ... and mischief. I took this spear from him!" Then, Lindy shows Elodie her new spear.
Jeremiah, Talmut, Elodie wrote:Elodie will show the map to Talmut, and then carefully smooth it out on the conference room table.
Jeremiah will aid Elodie in gleaning information...
The three heroes gather around the map to figure out where the giants were coming and going. The map is crudely drawn, probably by the very scouts you took it from, but clearly represents the terrain of the Umbrafall valley. It details the position of the city, as well as a few mountain trails, but it also pinpoints a few strategic locations, such as farms, trade routes, and a number of ruins. It becomes increasingly apparent that their purpose here was to gather information and then to carry that information to a larger force.
Jeremiah wrote:Jeremiah will ... tell his troops to keep alert, manning all stations and prepare for retaliation from giants.
The Jotun Invaders immediately occupy the outer wall, ready to defend the Arx.



OOC: Still working on the map ...
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Alpha Omega on Sat May 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Looking to Lindy...

"Would you so kindly start to move the troops gear from the baily to the barracks? We should have this place looking tip top when the captain arrives."

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum