Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Talmut wrote:Talmut will join everyone at the Jolly Toad.
When Talmut walks in behind Jeremiah, he gets the same treatment. "Talmut! Man of mystery! Come in! Come in! Free drinks, free food, and free baths for the saviors of Umbrafall!"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:18 am

After a night of debauchery, Jeremiah will visit the town library to do a little research.

OOC: I'm still debating the ring of climbing and the bag of holding...

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:52 pm

Talmut will avail himself of the hot bath and then join the others at our usual table for eats and drinks, before retiring to his room, deep into his cups and the wee hours of the morning.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:33 pm

OOC: Why don't we sell the iron horse, since we didn't use it at all during the last chapter?
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:59 pm

Elodie wrote:At the guild vault, Elodie will see that 5,000 gold from her share gets put into Jeremiah's section of the vault.

"Just keep the gold, it may be of use to you yet."

OOC: I'd rather keep the horse and just ride it instead of my biological horse. In fact I'd assumed I was already riding it, but probably would have helped if I told someone I was. Swift, can you shrink the horse to if need be or the occasion arose?

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:56 pm

OOC: Who distributes the money to Lindy, Glory, and Flint?
OOC: Who has Halvar's share?
OOC: Is it still the plan to give opals to the troops? Since the troops are at the Arx, who has the opals right now?

After a night of free baths, free food, and free drink ... the heroes eventually fall asleep in their rented rooms. Jeremiah, at least, is not alone.

When morning comes, it's almost noon. One by one, they wander into the common room. There, they find a Pursuivant waiting for them. The Pursuivant doesn't really look old enough to be an official of the court, but he does bear an official seal. "Wh-when you're ready, um, you're invited to, uh, appear before the The Vicereine, Emberlyn Winter, at your, um, earliest convenience; today, though; your, uh, earliest convenience, today, while she's still in court ... if you please."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 am

Talmut will quickly make himself presentable for the meeting with the Vicereine and then head out, once everyone else is ready.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:43 am

Jeremiah will accompany Talmut to the Vicereine before heading to the library.

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:40 pm

The Pursuivant leads you through the streets, toward the Palace. He leads you past the raised portcullis, past the crowd and the guards, past all the banners and flags, and onto the palace grounds. He leads you along the private road, past the manicured lawns, the craftsmen's cottages, and the ornate fountain. When he reaches the heavy oak doors with silver and gold vines, he stops to talk to the guard. The heavy guard nods and allows you all to pass.

Inside, you move past the hall leading to the Chancellor's office and instead go straight into the main hall. Just as before, it is full of people waiting to be heard. Enormous murals and fancy chandeliers great you from above and you see the Vicereine and her court seated on the dais across the room, separated from the crowd by velvety ropes. As before, Lady Winter sits in her throne, between two large statues; while he court sits at a long table, taking notes and chattering among themselves.

You see the Justiciar move to the Vicereine's side and whisper something to her. She looks right at you and then turns to whisper a reply.

After she answers the farmers who were talking when you entered, the Justiciar announces "PLEASE, WELCOME TO THE COURT, LEFTENANT JEREMIAH LAQUEUS, THE CHAPLAIN ELODIE, TALMUT-XISPUR OF THE FOURTH HOUSE OF NU'UL, AND GUMPHREY THE SHADOW-MAN! Please, step forward."

Immediately, the audience erupts into applause, cheering for the heroes who saved the city. Those who were crowding the center aisle move aside, granting you wide berth on your way to the front. The noise is deafening, with so many people clapping and cheering and their praise echoing off the high walls. The Justiciar yells for the crowd to hush, but you can barely hear him as you move forward. Even after you reach the front, it takes several minutes for the crowd to quiet down. 

Finally, The Vicereine Emberlyn Winter speaks ...

"The City of Umbrafall thanks you for your service, as do the people who call this wonderful city home. Without you, the war with the giants could have cost thousands of lives, or worse. So, I would like to extend to you a very personal thank-you, from myself and my staff."

"In order to show our gratitude, I would like to grant the status of knighthood upon you. As deputies of the court, you have already sworn your oaths of allegiance to the city. Therefore, only a simple ceremony remains, to make it official. As you know, the position of knighthood confers many advantages. It also comes with many obligations, but you have already proven yourselves willing and worthy of those responsibilities."

"Also, I understand that one of you has constructed a keep in the hills north of the city. Is this true?" After her question is answered, she continues, "Very well, Talmut-Xispur, I hereby appoint you Lord of the Arx and of the lands immediately surrounding it. It will be your responsibility to maintain those lands and collect taxes (some portion of which will be paid to Umbrafall). The Chancellor will negotiate the exact terms and have a contract drawn up."

"Unfortunately, many of the young soldiers who helped defend the city will be returning to their homes, so Captain Drake and her forces will eventually be required back at Umbrafall. So, you will need to recruit defenders for your own keep, but you are more than welcome to recruit from those returning home."

"Sir Jeremiah," she continues. "In addition to your knighthood, I hereby promote you to the rank of Captain. I am, however, also relieving you of all routine military duties. As a banner-man, you will be expected to come to the defense of the city, but only when the need arises. Until then, you have no obligation to the standing army. I do suppose, however, that you will be leading the forces at the Arx. I am sure that your experience in this matter would be of great service to Lord Talmut."

"Lady Elodie," she says. "Your contribution to this cause cannot be overlooked. Along with your knighthood, I offer you a position as Warden of the Timberwyld. Tragically, the previous Warden was killed in the battle against the giants and I hear that you are gifted in these sorts of matters. If you accept, then the Chancellor will drawn up a contract detailing the nature the position."

"Finally, Sir Gumphrey, Son of Humphrey the Gumless." When the Vicereine mentions his father, Gumphrey looks up, pale as a ghost. "I hereby pardon you of any past crimes you may or may not have committed."

"Thank you," Gumphrey says, meekly.

"If you would like to kneel, I will perform the knighting ceremony." As she says this, the Vicereine stands up from the throne and climbs down from the dais. The Justiciar hands her his ornate sword and she carries it over to you. Tapping each of you, in turn, on the shoulder, she says "With the sovereign power of the Great Kingdom of Nar, I call upon your previous oaths and declare you Sir. And declare you Sir! And declare you Dame! And declare you Sir!" As soon as the deed is done, she returns the sword to the Justiciar and returns herself to the throne. The crowd cheers, again, almost as loud as before.

"Furthermore ... the Arch-Duchess Adelaide, Sister of the King, has invited you to visit the Royal Palace in Vilderoy for the winter. If you wish to attend, I will send your letters of acceptance, arrangements will be made for your travels, and you can set-out in two months' time."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Elodie nods, curtsies, kneels, and bows at the appropriate moments during the ceremony, and accepts the position offered by the Vicereine, although she isn't exactly sure what her new duties will be. She waves to the cheering crowd.

When the Vicereine mentions the request of the Arch-Duchess, Elodie says, "I would be honored to represent Umbrafall in Vilderoy."

After the ceremony, Elodie will look for the Chancellor in his office. "I have accepted the position offered by the Vicereine as Warden of the Timberwyld. Can you please explain to me my new duties, and explain any resources that are available to me?" 
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Malazek wrote:OOC: Who distributes the money to Lindy, Glory, and Flint?
OOC: Who has Halvar's share?
OOC: Is it still the plan to give opals to the troops? Since the troops are at the Arx, who has the opals right now?

OOC: Elodie will take Lindy's share and make sure that she gets it. If no one volunteers to take Halvar's share, Elodie will give it to the assistants and ask Lindy, Glory, and Flint to make a trip to the Arx to see that he gets his bonus.

As far as the opals...

Malazek wrote:OOC: There are 36 Troopers in total. If you gave one opal to each, and two to each Assistant, that would leave you with 34 opals (about 8 for each member of the Band of Four, with two left over. If Talmut, Gumphrey, Elodie, and Jeremiah kept the choicest gemstones for themselves, they would probably earn about 9000 each ... plus two extra opals worth about 1000 each ... all in addition to the opals they gave away).

I like this option the best, and I think Swift also liked this option--but I believe that the opals are still at the Arx, because we didn't carry them with us. If that is the case, we can have Lindy, Glory, and Flint to bring them back after they deliver Halvar's bonus...if that's okay with Swift & Alpha.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:37 pm

OOC1) Happy Fourth of July everyone!

OOC2) Awesome post, Mal!

OOC3) That all sounds fine to me, Glitz.  I think Talmut may have already traded our opals for gold yesterday.  I will check tonight. I will give Flint his bonus.

OOC4) I am posting from up north and from my phone, which is difficult for Johnny ten thumbs.  Sorry about the lack of posts.

Talmut bows low - it almost seems as if his beard brushes against the ornate floor.

"I thank you, Great Lady, for the honor and responsibility you have bestowed upon me.  I will see to it that your choice has not been made in vain.  I can not speak for my friends, but it would be my great pleasure be to be the guest of the Arch-Duchess."
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Talmut wrote:"I thank you, Great Lady, for the honor and responsibility you have bestowed upon me.  I will see to it that your choice has not been made in vain.  I can not speak for my friends, but it would be my great pleasure be to be the guest of the Arch-Duchess."
Elodie wrote:"I would be honored to represent Umbrafall in Vilderoy."
"I am glad to hear it. Before you leave, I will make sure you are equipped with suitable attire. The courtiers in Vilderoy pay close attention to fashion."
Talmut wrote:OOC1) Happy Fourth of July everyone!
OOC: You too! Enjoy the Independence.
Talmut wrote:OOC2) Awesome post, Mal!
OOC: Thanks! I was worried it sucked.
Elodie wrote:lodie will give it to the assistants and ask Lindy, Glory, and Flint to make a trip to the Arx to see that he gets his bonus ... we can have Lindy, Glory, and Flint to bring them back after they deliver Halvar's bonus.
Talmut wrote:OOC3) That all sounds fine to me, Glitz.  I think Talmut may have already traded our opals for gold yesterday.  I will check tonight.
OOC: Yeah, we'll need to be total sure what happens with the opals before any downtime can happen. If they are still at the Arx, then all's good. If they were accidentally added to the "for sale" pile, then we need to un-do that (and re-calculate the splits). I was under the impression that all of the 64000 gold came from Jarigor's chest top of page 27). When Talmut sold stuff yesterday (halfway down on page 20), that should have just been poisons and kukris. Did I miss something? Please double-check for me.
Talmut wrote:Talmut will give Flint his bonus.
Elodie wrote:Elodie will take Lindy's share and make sure that she gets it
Gumphrey wrote:Gumphrey will make sure Glory gets hers.
The assistants are all very grateful and thank you profusely.
Elodie wrote:After the ceremony, Elodie will look for the Chancellor in his office. "I have accepted the position offered by the Vicereine as Warden of the Timberwyld. Can you please explain to me my new duties, and explain any resources that are available to me?" 
"Warden! Most Excellent."

"And yes, I'd be happy go over it with you. We'll need to draw-up a contract, actually, so there's no misunderstandings. Traditionally, the warden is responsible for the management and protection of the forest. That usually boils down to stopping poachers and rooting out bandits, but can also include taking care of the local wildlife. For example, if a dangerous predator moves into the area, you may need to deal with it. Or not. It's left to your discretion. Where matters of the Timberwyld are concerned, you will only answer to the Vicereine and the Royal Forester (and honestly, we haven't seen the Royal Forester is many years). Otherwise, you are free to manage such affairs as you see fit."

As he talks, he begins writing.

"You also have authority to collect taxes within the forest, but in practice, this is rarely done. Most of the hunters, trappers, and woodcutters in the area pay their taxes here in the city. Those who don't are usually living in the wilderness and really can't afford to, anyway. You also have the right to suggest new laws, as they pertain to the forest, but only the Vicereine can actually pass laws."

"The position is typically a lifetime appointment, as only the Vicereine has the power to remove you from the office. You do, however, have the right to retire or resign at any time. During your tenure, you will also receive a modest stipend: approximately 100 gold pieces per month. You can use that money however you see fit. The last warden used a portion of his salary to hire an assistant, but also owned a sizable home here in the city. It's up to you."

"You'll also receive a new badge, with more weight than your old one."

"If this arrangement is acceptable, then please sign here. If you wish to negotiate these terms, then we can do that first."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:30 pm

After the ceremony, Jeremiah will head over to see the Chancellor about the request to attend the winter at the Royal Palace in Vilderoy. As soon as Elodie steps out Jeremiah will enter his office.

"It appears I will be traveling to the Royal Palace in Videroy. You must understand I come from a humble origin and am not familiar with proper etiquette in ceremonies, like today, or as a guest to stay at a Royal Palace. Any insight on proper etiquette would be appreciated, especially if it prevents me from looking foolish. Also, with this new promotion to Captain I would like to look over the contract to make sure I am able to fulfill the requirements set before me."

Pulling Jarigor's head from his satchel....

"I collected this as a prize for the Vicereine, but figured pulling it out during the ceremony may have been a bit unsettling for her. Do you know of someone who could perhaps perform the taxidermy and properly mount this on a placard for her?"

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Jeremiah wrote:"Any insight on proper etiquette would be appreciated, especially if it prevents me from looking foolish."
"I would be happy to help. Come visit me, as often as you can, before you leave, and I will provide as much instruction as I can."
OOC: Training with the Chancellor will allow Jeremiah to spend some of his new skill ranks in Knowledge: Nobility."
Jeremiah wrote:"with this new promotion to Captain I would like to look over the contract to make sure I am able to fulfill the requirements set before me."
"The role of Banner-man isn't specifically spelled out in a contract, but it is a matter of honor. Essentially, you would be expected to support the city, militarily, in times of need. What that means, however, depends on your situation. For example, you might re-enlist on a short term basis or you might bring your own army to the defense of the city. In exchange, the Vicereine will offer similar support if you were to need it. For example, if an enemy were to march upon you, then the Vicereine would send her armies to help you, which often includes other banner-man. If you failed to come to the defense of the city, then the Vicereine would likely withdraw her support of you, though not necessarily. Shortly put, you are now both expected to uphold your alliance, whenever it is reasonable."

"Also, I believe we owe you and Elodie nearly 12 gold for your time as Leftenant and Chaplain. Given the haste with which you dispatched the enemy, it hardly seems adequate. I think a bonus is order?" The Chancellor tosses a small pouch onto the desk in front of Jeremiah. Judging by the weight of it, Jeremiah would guess it's close to 50 gold.
Jeremiah wrote:"Do you know of someone who could perhaps perform the taxidermy and properly mount this on a placard for her?"
"I do. Would you like me to take care of that for you?"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Chancellor wrote:"Where matters of the Timberwyld are concerned, you will only answer to the Vicereine and the Royal Forester (and honestly, we haven't seen the Royal Forester is many years)."

"Who is the Royal Forester? How could I find him...her?"

Chancellor wrote:"The last warden used a portion of his salary to hire an assistant, but also owned a sizable home here in the city. It's up to you."

"Considering that I will be travelling over the winter months, it would probably be a good idea to hire an assistant. I will let you know when I find someone suitable. Perhaps my current assistant, Lindy? What is her current pay?"

Chancellor wrote:"If this arrangement is acceptable, then please sign here. If you wish to negotiate these terms, then we can do that first."

Elodie will sign the contract.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Elodie wrote:"Who is the Royal Forester? How could I find him...her?"
"Last I heard, Adern Dara was the Royal Forester. It's possible you could run into her while in Vilderoy, but I believe her permanent residence is in Kelbany."
Elodie wrote:"Considering that I will be travelling over the winter months, it would probably be a good idea to hire an assistant. I will let you know when I find someone suitable. Perhaps my current assistant, Lindy? What is her current pay?"
"I believe Miss Garvin earns about 9 gold a week, as a Scribe. If you believe she is up for the task, then by all means, I think that's a fine idea ... provided Miss Garvin agrees to it."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 pm

OOC: Since Elodie is from Kelbany, does she know who Adern Dara is?

11 + 2 Int = 13
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Glitz wrote:OOC: Since Elodie is from Kelbany, does she know who Adern Dara is? 11 + 2 Int = 13
OOC: I'll allow it, with another +2, since Elodie is a Druid.
Adern Dara is a well-respected Druid, from the Albry region of Kelbany. Elodie has never met her, but does recognize the name.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Talmut will go to the Chancellor's office to have his new duties explained to him, just as Elodie and Jeremiah did.

Last edited by Swifthand on Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:57 pm

As far as I can tell, the opals have not been divvied up - the last mention that I could find was Jeremiah's on page 12.   He suggested that we give each of the surviving troops from the battle with the Giants 1 opal apiece, and then we split up the rest. I believe that's where we are now.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Chancellor wrote:"I do. Would you like me to take care of that for you?"

"Yes, if you could please. Let the Vicerene know it was a gift from me as a spoil of war."

OOC: Am I splitting this gold with Elodie, or do I assume he gave her one to? It sounded as if I was splitting it, but I want to make sure.

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 am

Jeremiah wrote:OOC: Am I splitting this gold with Elodie, or do I assume he gave her one to? It sounded as if I was splitting it, but I want to make sure.
OOC: Splitting.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 am

Swifthand wrote:As far as I can tell, the opals have not been divvied up - the last mention that I could find was Jeremiah's on page 12.   He suggested that we give each of the surviving troops from the battle with the Giants 1 opal apiece, and then we split up the rest. I believe that's where we are now.
OOC: Okay good. That's what I thought. On page 14, though, he did disperse opals to the 2nd and 3rd Squadrons (when they were sent back to the city). The first squadron and the assistants still need to be given opals (one to each trooper and two to each assistant, is what you voted for on page 12). If you pay all of them when you get back to the Arx, you'll still have 34 opals left ... that's about 38,000 gold worth).
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:54 am

Talmut wrote:Talmut will go to the Chancellor's office to have his new duties explained to him, just as Elodie and Jeremiah did.
The chancellor writes as he talks. "The vassal contract is usually straight-forward. You will be responsible for maintaining and protecting the Arx, as well as all of the land around it." Pointing to a map, he shows you the borders of your fief. "Everything between the main road and these two mountain tops, creating this sort of triangular vale. It looks like the perimeter of your fief is close to a three hour ride. Within the confines of the land, you can set-up farms, construct mines, whatever you like. One-third of your revenue must be paid to the Vicereine."

"Also, the Vicereine can visit at any time. She has the power to expand your lands or to take them away. All of the land (here and all throughout the Realms) ultimately belongs to the King."

"Assuming there's no other questions, you can sign right here and it will all be official."
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next