Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #5 - March of the Frost Giants

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:28 am

"Excellent news, yes, and perhaps you are correct about the giant army now about to disband, however, we were able to capture some intelligence from Jarigor - if will you provide a room where we all can look it over, perhaps we will discover the reasons why this force was set against us, as well as it's goals and intentions."
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Talmut wrote:"Excellent news, yes, and perhaps you are correct about the giant army now about to disband, however, we were able to capture some intelligence from Jarigor - if will you provide a room where we all can look it over, perhaps we will discover the reasons why this force was set against us, as well as it's goals and intentions."
"Indeed; right this way." Colton Winter starts toward his office.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Talmut says, "Just a moment, please.  Flint, the chest?"

Assuming Flint pulls out the chest...

With a small hand gesture, Talmut dismisses the spell, allowing the chest to regain its original size.  Then he opens it, removes the paperwork, closes the lid again and turns to the assistants.  "Please see that this gets safely into our guild vault - we will see to the fair allocation of reward after the danger has passed."  He then moves to follow the Chancellor.  "At your leave, Lord Winter."
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Talmut wrote:He then moves to follow the Chancellor.  "At your leave, Lord Winter."
The chancellor leads the heroes back to his office. As you walk, the knights in the courtyard are staring, with awe and respect.

When you reach his office, he says "What intelligence did you uncover?"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Talmut lays the paperwork on the Chancellor's desk, allowing everyone to help go through the paperwork before digging in himself.

"This is what we found."  Talmut begins reading...
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:38 pm

"It could take some time to make sense of all this," the chancellor says, as he studies the maps and other scrolls.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 am

Elodie has a seat at the table, ready to inspect some of the documents in an attempt to find some useful information.

Perception +18
Knowledge: Geography +7
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 am

Jeremiah will also provide any insight he can on the captured information.

Knowledge: Geography +12
Perception +20

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:11 pm

And so, with the chancellor's help, the Band of Four and their assistants pour through the scrolls and maps lifted from the late Jarigor.

Among the items, they find maps of everything from the Jotun Valley to Umbrafall. The largest map is a general terrain map, with the Jotun region in the upper right corner and Umbrafall in the lower left. Half-a-dozen maps detail specific regions of the Jotun Valley, while a dozen more detail places around Umbrafall. There is also a map of the Mountain ranges that connect the two, including a map of Vulcan's Forge and a map of the the Road between Arkon and Fjordheim. The most interesting (and numerous) are those of the Umbrafall Valley, itself; maps of the Timberwyld, a map of the Black Hills, maps of ruins, maps of cave systems, a map of the Serpentcoil, and a map of the farms around the city. As you search, it becomes more and more clear that the giant's goal was the valley, itself.

Among the other items, you find numerous lists. The first, appears to be a list of warbands, including the names and ranks of individual giants. The next set of lists are clearly ledgers, detailing the weapons, armor, and other supplies of the giant forces. The last list appears to be a list of giant tribes, including their leaders and typical whereabouts; a few of the tribes have been crossed out; notes in the margins indicate whether these tribes agreed to join the cause, refused to join, or were wiped out for one reason or another.

The last set of scrolls include correspondence between Jarigor and other chiefs, or contracts between them. (These are all written in Jotun, so only some of you can read them). It seems that only a few chiefs seem to have signed both types of documents, but quite a few signed one or the other. The correspondences are typically letters that either agree to join the army or agree to meet and discuss the notion of doing so. The contracts, themselves, typically detail what region of the Umbrafall Valley specific giant tribes are going to get as well as a clear statement that no fealty will be demanded when the conquest is complete. Finally, among the correspondences, there are five identical (albeit incomplete) letters, all written by Jarigor. The recipients of these letters have not been addressed, indicating that Jarigor made several copies of the letter, with the intention of adding the addressees as he sent them out. Each of these letters is a clear appeal, imploring the recipient to join his army and to help carve out a new home for giants. The letters clearly state that the Jotun Valley is no longer safe, because of the dragons that have taken up residence there!
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Elodie points to the letters, which are in a language that she does not understand. "So what do they say?"
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:18 pm

The chancellor summarizes the Jotun writing for Elodie, explaining how and why the giants were driven out of their homeland.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Elodie's eyes widen. "Dragons? Well, I probably wouldn't want to share a valley with a dragon, either. Where will the giants go from here? If there are dragons living in Jotun Valley, they won't go back. Maybe we should go straight to the source of the problem..."
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:49 am

"Well, if the dragons are tough enough to push around the giants, and the giants are tough enough to push us around, it may be easier said then done. Although fighting dragons does sound like fun we may want to come up with a few different plans for handling this situation."

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:25 pm

"In any event, a short respite to reflect and prepare would be welcome.  If the giant "army" has scattered, we now know they will not be headed home - for us, that just means a large increase of giant banditry in the surrounding regions."
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

"Acute observations," the Chancellor says. "Perhaps our best course of action is to simply hunt down the remaining giants and prevent as much banditry as possible. Without Jarigor to lead them, it's doubtful they could ever pose a serious threat to the city itself. The dragons are far enough away, that perhaps we can simply ignore them, altogether. If not, we can address that issue later, when there aren't giants running amok in the valley. I should report all of this to the Vicereine; the decision is ultimately hers."

"In the meantime, I will put together a task force to drive-out the remaining giants. You have done much to protect Umbrafall, these past few weeks, so I won't bother you with such a paltry task. Besides, I am sure the Vicereine will want to award you with commendations, so you will want to stay close to the city, for the time being."

OOC: We will be starting an new chapter soon. There will be some down-time (as usual) between this chapter and the next, but if you would like to accomplish anything before the down-time, you should do so now.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:32 pm

"Well should we head to the adventurers guild and split the loot?"

Jeremiah's list...

Divide loots (i think we need to pay Maius and the troops as well)
Woman and Whine and the Jolly Toad
Speak with the wizards
Follow up with the local guard about the blackbird criminal
Do a little shopping

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:16 pm

"That sounds perfect.  We can be found at the Jolly Toad, Chancellor."  Talmut rolls up the maps, and, placing them under arm, heads off to the guildhall to divide the giant gold.

O.O.C. -  Maius and I have already negotiated the 50gp/month contract, and he is all paid up.  I believe all we have to divide is the chest contents?  If so, that's 64,000 gp - how do we want to divide it?  I will throw out an initial suggestion: 4,000-5,000 gp "bonus" for the assistants, thus instead of 16,000gp per, we get 11,000 - 12,000gp?

Other than that, I steal Jeremiah's list for my own, and add "make magic items" at the bottom, and get rid of the evil cursed book, hehe.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glitz on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:14 pm

At the guild vault, Elodie will see that 5,000 gold from her share gets put into Jeremiah's section of the vault.

OOC: I am okay with giving the assistants a bonus, but they are also already being paid by Umbrafall, so 4,000 sounds generous enough to me. 

Once the bonuses have been settled, Elodie will probably craft a few potions (depending on the gold situation). She will spend her time at the Jolly Toad, waiting for word on the next assignment.
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:57 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Divide loots (i think we need to pay Maius ...
Talmut wrote:O.O.C. -  Maius and I have already negotiated the 50gp/month contract, and he is all paid up.  
OOC: That's correct. As the Steward of the Arx, Talmut paid Maius himself.
Jeremiah wrote:Divide loots (i think we need to pay ... the troops as well)
OOC: Previously, you had mentioned giving each man an opal. Is that still the plan?
Talmut wrote:OOC ... I will throw out an initial suggestion: 4,000-5,000 gp "bonus" for the assistants
Elodie wrote:OOC: I am okay with giving the assistants a bonus, but they are also already being paid by Umbrafall
OOC: True. The assistants are already paid by the Vicereine ... but they will certainly appreciate a bonus.
Elodie wrote:At the guild vault, Elodie will see that 5,000 gold from her share gets put into Jeremiah's section of the vault.
OOC: Kk.
Talmut wrote:Other than that ... add "make magic items" at the bottom, and get rid of the evil cursed book, hehe.
Elodie wrote:Elodie will probably craft a few potions (depending on the gold situation).
OOC: As soon as down-time begins, I'll let you know how much time you have.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Jeremiah wrote:Divide loots
Elodie wrote:OOC: I am okay with giving the assistants a bonus, but they are also already being paid by Umbrafall, so 4,000 sounds generous enough to me. 
Talmut wrote:I believe all we have to divide is the chest contents?  If so, that's 64,000 gp ... 4,000-5,000 gp "bonus" for the assistants ...  we get 11,000 - 12,000gp?
OOC: So, that's 12000 for each PC and 4000 for each assistant. Remember, though, that Halvar is still at the Arx. Somebody will have to hang on to his until you get back to the Arx.
Jeremiah wrote:Speak with the wizards
Talmut wrote:OOC ... I steal Jeremiah's list for my own
After dividing the spoils, Jeremiah and Talmut head to the home of Odion and Malabus ... but discover the house is still deserted, just as it was yesterday. (Mittens did say they would be leaving for awhile. He did not say when they might be back).
Jeremiah wrote:Follow up with the local guard about the blackbird criminal
Next, Jeremiah and Talmut head to the West Gate, where they spoke to the guard captain before. This time, they find him on duty, talking to the merchants who have stalls near the gate. When they approach him and ask about the Blackbird girl, he says "Oh yes! We took her straight to the dungeon! I doubt she'll be getting out anytime soon; banditry is a serious offense. Of course, how long, exactly, will depend on her behavior ... but since she refused to tell us where her fellow conspirators are,  it will probably be  long while."
Jeremiah wrote:Do a little shopping
OOC: Anything in particular?
Elodie wrote:She will spend her time at the Jolly Toad, waiting for word on the next assignment.
Laci greats Elodie and Gumphrey with a warm welcome. "Oh, welcome back! I can hardly believe it! Where's yer friends? My uncle said to give ya free drinks and food this week, as a way of sayin' thanks for saving us an' the whole city! Free baths, too! Come in, come! What can I get you?"

On the board today ...

JOLLY TOAD MENU
Endless Stew (Kept Simmering 30 Years) … 5 cp
"Giant" Bowls of Stew ... 7 cp
Aunt Polly’s Pudding … 1 sp
Apple Cake ... 2 cp
Hare Soup … 6 cp
Simple Bread & Cheese … 1 sp
Brown Ale … 4 cp
Flaming Schnapps (Apple Brandy) … 1 gp

JOLLY TOAD ROOMS
Private Meeting Room (One Hour) … 5 sp
Private Room … 15 sp
Private Suite … 4 gp
Sleeping Space on Floor … 1 cp
Sleeping Space near the Fire … 5 cp

JOLLY TOAD AMENITIES
Bath (Cold) … 2 cp
Bath (Hot) … 5 cp
Chamber Pot (Loan of) … 2 cp
Stabling (with Grooming and Feed) … 2 sp
Laundry Service … 3 cp per article
Garment Repair … Varies

The tavern is extremely busy today. Rhea Almsworth is on stage. Watching the crowd for a brief moment, Elodie sees Sketch and Wrenny, two of the regulars who were here the first time you visited. Bavol is tending bar, in Cid's absence; Laci must be waiting tables alone. The bouncer, Ladislas, is seated by the door, as usual.

"Ooh!" Gumphrey says. "I'll have a giant portion of stew, please! And a brown ale."
"No problem! It's on the house," Laci answers, with a smile.

Last edited by Malazek on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:32 pm

OOC: Just to be clear, either the Vicereine or the Chancellor will send for you, soon ... but for now, you have some time to kill.
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Jeremiah will head back to the adventurers guild and peruse some of the magical items for sale, if nothing of interest is there he will look through the various shops in town. After shopping he will head to the Jolly Toad for some woman, whine and perhaps a bath.

List...
Gloves
Composite Long Bow
Off Hand Axe
Rings
Greaves

Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 am

Alpha Omega wrote:Jeremiah will head back to the adventurers guild and peruse some of the magical items for sale ...
Gloves, Composite Long Bow, Off Hand Axe, Rings, Greaves
OOC: The Guild only has items that other adventurers have sold to them, so they won't have a ton to choose from (but still, more than any place else). I used the standard "magic items by settlement" rules to determine what they had. Excluding what you've sold, this is what they have available, at the moment.

- Scroll of Passwall (CL 9th); 1125 gold
- Ring of Climbing +10; 10,000 gold
- Bag of Holding IV (weighs 60 lbs, holds 1500 lbs); 10,000 gold
- Three Potions of Cure Light Wounds (d8+1); 50 gold
Jeremiah wrote:... if nothing of interest is there he will look through the various shops in town. 
OOC: Any standard gear (worth up to 4400 gold) is readily available.
As Jeremiah wanders the streets, people seem friendlier than usual. Strangers are waving to him and merchants are greeting him like old friends.
Jeremiah wrote:After shopping he will head to the Jolly Toad for some woman, whine and perhaps a bath. 
Laci greets him at the door. "Jeremiah! Come in in! Welcome back! Uncle Cid said your meals an' drinks are free this week; his way of saying thanks, for what you did. What can I get you?" Bavol shouts across the bar, "Get this man a hot bath! A free hot bath!" Three of the ladies Jeremiah has spent nights with in the past are already patronizing the bar tonight. As soon as they see him, they move to Jeremiah's side. "Can we help you get clean, you dirty man, you?"
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Swifthand on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Talmut will join everyone at the Jolly Toad.
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post  Malazek on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:18 pm

OOC: You have earned 165,223 XPs (that's 110,149 from encounters and 55,074 for story-awards and role-playing). That brings your totals to 225,348. That's 13th level. A four level jump is more than I expected, but I guess you earned it. Go ahead and level-up as soon as you're ready, but remember that your character doesn't actually improve until after the downtime (so, for the rest of this chapter, you're still level 9).
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next