Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Elodie wants to check the room for any magical auras, remembering the statues from the first level.

Cast Detect Magic.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Gumphrey looks back and gives a nod to Talmut. Then, he begins searching for traps. Almost as soon as he starts, he finds one. "Oh, yeah, there's on right here. I pressure plate, so don't step on it." He takes a moment to point out the spot to everyone else and then carefully side-steps the trap.

As he moves on, everyone else is easily able to avoid stepping where he said not too. As they do, Elodie walks a little slower, trying to locate any magical auras in the hall way. She finds none.

After a few more yards, the party sees one of the corpses the elemental warned them about. Crumbled on against the wall, the unsightly corpse is just lying there. It is decomposed to the point that it barely looks human. One wonders why the hungry fishes didn't devour the poor guy.

Just past the corpse, Gumphrey comes to a side-hall. According to the elemental, the smaller hall cuts back toward another entrance into the room with the pits and eventually to enclosed area with another statute. "Straight?"

 photo ArxSublevelWideHall2_zpse7f92293.png
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Gumphrey presses on without incident, passing the smaller hallway and continuing to the room at the end. The room at the end is about the same size as the room the eels were in, except there are three arches on one side (instead of two). Also, it is littered with corpses that are in much the same state as the two you passed in the hallway.

Gumphrey enters the room and turns right. He can't really see, however, until Talmut brings the light up behind him. At that moment, you all see it: a giant octopus! But there's something else. Faced with such a horrific monstrosity, it takes your mind a moment to realize it ... but the octopus seems to have magical runes etched into its skin! In fact, it's entire body is covered with sigils and wards.

 photo ArxSublevelWideHall3_zps40b9080b.png
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:00 pm

As the party catches sight of the large beast, Elodie calls out, "Wait! Maybe it doesn't want to fight us." She breaks out of the line and moves through the middle arch, approaching the octopus cautiously. She attempts to appear non-threatening as she moves.

Move to L4.
Wild Empathy check: 26 (20 + 5 Druid Level + 1 Cha)
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Alpha Omega on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:30 am

Jeremiah will hold off attacking to see if the druid is able to subdue the beast...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Swifthand on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Alpha Omega wrote:Jeremiah will hold off attacking to see if the druid is able to subdue the beast...
Ditto.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Elodie and the Octopus stare at one another for what seems like quite long time, though in reality it must not have been more than a minute or two. Finally, the octopus reaches out slowly with one of its tentacles and softly touches Elodie's hand. She gets a feeling that this creature has not only accepted her, but is welcoming her as a guest.

OOC: Wild Empathy takes a full minute to complete. Elodie rolled high enough that the Octopus is now "friendly."
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Elodie reaches out the hand that the octopus is not touching and gently pats the extended tentacle. She then calls to the rest of the group, "You all want to look around? I don't think he's going to hurt us."
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Swifthand on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:37 pm

"Elodie - are the remaining schools of fish dangerous, or can we now inspect this floor without interruption?"


If we can inspect, Talmut will cast Detect Secret Doors and give the dungeon a once over, as well as aid the others in searching the piles of bones, ect.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm

OOC: Elodie doesn't know whether the other fish are dangerous or not. Unlike the wolves, the octopus doesn't speak Sylvan (or any other language Elodie knows), so she can't ask it.

OOC: You are, however, free to inspect this room. 
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 pm

"Unfortunately, I can't tell if the schools of fish will be friendly until I come face-to-face with them. This octopus is friendly, but I can't communicate with him to find out more information. However, I may be able to lead him with us for a little bit..." Elodie responds to Talmut's question.
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Alpha Omega on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:30 am

Jeremiah will help Talmut search this room, including the corpses and the piles of bones. 

Perception +9

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Checking the bones first, Talmut and Jeremiah discover them to be much like the bones in the other room. That is, it is a mixed pile of animal bones, both large and small, with only few bones that might actually be human. This is clearly a waste pile; the remnants of whatever creatures the octopus has devoured. Digging through the pile, however, they discover a quiver of arrows buried beneath some of the bones.

Moving on to the corpses, they discover the bodies to be rather decomposed; decrepit scraps of skin and sinew barely hanging from water-logged bones. The bodies aren't even bloated anymore, because the flesh is too deteriorated soak up water. What's left of the clothing is so worn out that they can barely be called "rags." If they weren't "stuck" to the corpses, they'd probably fall off.

One of the corpses, however, has a dagger sticking out of its side. The blade seems to be wedged between two of it's rib bones.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Swifthand on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Talmut calls upon his training and casts Detect Magic on the items.

"The remaining fish schools are our only impediment to finishing this level.  Let us give Elodie a chance to calm those that remain, but be ready to aid her if her attempt fails."

Move to the fish in S9, ready a Summon Monster 3 (Shark) if Elodie gets attacked by the fish.  I will rinse and repeat as long as these instructions are valid, moving on to the other fish in the dungeon.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm

After a few moments, Talmut discovers that there is a moderate aura of necromancy on the dagger and a moderate aura of conjuration on the quiver.

Gumphrey pipes up. "Do you guys mind if I take this dagger? I mean, I actually use a dagger," he says, lifting the tired old dagger he's been using. "And we've found a fair amount of interesting items, already. Can this one be mine?"
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Alpha Omega on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:02 am

As Jeremiah grabs the quiver, "Gumphry, go ahead and take the dagger. I think its a good idea to upgrade your primary weapon."

He will then follow Talmut and Elodie to S9...

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:15 am

Elodie seconds Jeremiah, adding, "Since you lead the way most of the time, it makes sense for you to have a better weapon!"

Once it appears that the group is done searching the room, Elodie moves out into the hallway and searches for few dead fish lingering in the water. She returns to the octopus and tugs on one of its tentacles, stepping back towards the arch that she came through. She waves the fish in front of the octopus, attempting to entice it to follow her. If it does, she will feed it one of the fish, and will continue moving towards the hallway.
Wild Empathy check (octopus): 21 (15 + 5 Druid Level + 1 Cha)

As she moves down the hallway, she approaches the next aquatic creature slowly, once again attempting to convey by the way that she is moving that she does not intend to hurt the creature. She hides the dead fish that she is holding behind her back.
Move to S7.
Wild Empathy check (fish, S9): 23 (17 + 5 Druid Level + 1 Cha)

GM EDit: S7 is inside of a wall. I think you mean Q9?

OOC: Haha. Oops, yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks.


Last edited by Glitz on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 am

Elodie's attempts to get the octopus to follow her seem to work. The massive cephalopod stirs and begins to move after her. It devours the fish as soon as it is handed it over.

When Elodie reaches the narrower hallway (I9), the octopus stops and the runes covering its body begin to glow. Behind it, the seven decayed corpses climb to their feet and begin walking toward the smaller hallway.

After a moment of shock, Elodie continues, with Talmut and Jeremiah behind her, and the walking dead behind them. Gumphrey, for once, is guarding the rear. The octopus could probably squeeze through the narrow hallway, but it chooses to remain behind, in the much wider (and safer) hallway.

Elodie, and the parade behind her, pass the side-passage that should lead to the room with the pits and continues on (to Q9) until she sees more fish. This time, it's not a school of little hungry fish, but one really big hungry fish (it's at least as big as Elodie). She approaches cautiously, but the big fish merely stares at her. A minute later, she is able to reach out and touch the fish. It doesn't attack nor run away. Her attempt has succeeded.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Glitz on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Elodie continues past the big hungry fish and makes a left at the end of the passageway, continuing to move slowly. She repeats her actions from before, attempting to not startle the fish when she comes around the corner.

Wild empathy check (fish, U7): 22 (16 + 5 Druid Level + 1 Cha)
avatar
Glitz
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Female Posts : 945
Join date : 2011-01-13
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Swifthand on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 am

Malazek wrote:After a few moments, Talmut discovers that there is a moderate aura of necromancy on the dagger and a moderate aura of conjuration on the quiver.
Do I recognize either of these items?
 
10 on the die, I'm +13 to all those wizardy skills....
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 am

As Jeremiah follows the group he will help perform any searches needed on the walls and statues.

Perception +9

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Talmut wrote:Do I recognize either of these items?
OOC: Not yet. It requires 3 full rounds of thorough examination.

Elodie wrote:Elodie continues past the big hungry fish and makes a left at the end of the passageway, continuing to move slowly. She repeats her actions from before, attempting to not startle the fish when she comes around the corner.

Wild empathy check (fish, U7): 22 (16 + 5 Druid Level + 1 Cha)
Elodie moves around the corner (to u8) and begins to forge a connection with the next fish. Initially, it seems to be going well. Talmut (u9) and Jeremiah (t9) are right behind her. As she works to assuage the fish's anxiety, Jeremiah notices (Perception = 20) that another big fish is approaching from the south (from v11). IF the second fish attacks before Elodie finishes empathizing with the first, then her efforts will be for naught. 

OOC: It will take Elodie a full minute (10 rounds) complete her Wild Empathy on the u7 Fish. If the v11 fish is going to attack, it will do long before then ... and attacking the v11 fish "could" cause Elodie's Wild Empathy to auto-fail. Jeremiah could try to use his own Wild Empathy on the second fish. Or not.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Alpha Omega on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Noticing another fish approaching them, Jeremiah will try and tame it.

Wild Empathy +4

OOC: Should I roll this?

GM Edit: Sure. Go for it.

Wild Empathy: 16 + 4 = 20

_________________
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.       -Plato

avatar
Alpha Omega
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 945
Join date : 2010-01-17
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Malazek on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 pm

A minute later, it seems like Elodie has her fish completely pacified. A few seconds later, Jeremiah has done the same with the other fish. Although the fish seem to accept the party's presence, they do seem a little spooked (perhaps by the presence of the octopus's zombies behind you).

Also, if the information the elemental gave you is correct, there should still be two more fish lurking around the bend.
avatar
Malazek
Asylum Administrator
Asylum Administrator

Male Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

http://arcaneasylum.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Swifthand on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Malazek wrote:
Talmut wrote:Do I recognize either of these items?
OOC: Not yet. It requires 3 full rounds of thorough examination.
"Let me examine those items for a moment." During the full minute.
avatar
Swifthand
Asylum Arcanist
Asylum Arcanist

Male Posts : 881
Join date : 2009-08-16
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Adventure #3 - Lord Winter

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum